->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:04 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: My trip to Goa
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:45 pm 

Hi!

If any of you have read my introduction in the intro section you'll understand what I'm up to.

For this exploratory trip i though i would share with you the tackle i would be bringing with me... (for 2 months)

This choice is based on past experience and some experimental tactics that i wish to adopt whilst there.

2x Beach casters, capable to distance casting in excess of 250m

Penn sidewinder, 5-7oz 13'6'' and a penn 525 mag reel loaded with 20lb mono and a 80lb shock leader

Daiwa Supercast, 4-80z 13' and a abu mag elite reel loaded with 15lb mono and a 60lb shockleader

Boat gear

Shinamo Speedmaster light jigging rod, 80-200g casting, 1.95m and a large fixed spool with 300m of 30lb braid

Shimano Exage 20-30lb trolling rod, Okuma TA50 reel loaded with 450m of 30lb big game mono

Shakesphere Ugly stick 50-80lb atlantis stand up rod, Okuma T20L loaded with 500m of 50lb trolling dynama line

Also will be looking in to a 8-12lb class trolling outfit for the reefs

Spinning gear

Abu Suveran 10ft 30-70g casting rod, Abu 6501 reel loaded with 30lb braid and 40lb fluorocarbon leader

Leeda Predator 12ft rod, Abu 6501 reel loaded with 30lb braid and 60lb fluorocarbon leader

Harris Angling Lure Pro 7-42g baitcaster with small low profile Abu silver reel, 20lb braid and 30lb leader

Lures...

too much to list but have brought allot of 2oz bucktail jigs to try out and also 200g and 400g speed jigs. Which i am very keen to try out! But my weapon of choice is the new rapala x-rap, weighing in at 56g and 14cm with an internal flash... for the shore...can be cast about 80m+ from the shore.

Let me know what you think!

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:43 am 

Heawy tackle !!!!!!!!!! the most powerfull rod i have ewer used india is a 7 ft 6 ounce spining rod i used it for popping for gt`s in the andamans.
you going into surfcasting and i dont think anybody has done much off that in india. I cant wait too hear what you pull out off the sea. the only thing i think is too light is your main lines, i use 60 pound braid for popping and my light spining rod (5 inch shads) i use 30 pound braid,remember that you will be fishing over/on corals. Another thing is the hooks for all my lures i use owner 4x trebles, the only ones that will do the distance.

Søren

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:46 am 

Have you brought any poppers ???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:05 am 
Fishaholic

Søren me old mate, don't be to hard on the lad. Don't forget that I was draged off my feet by a beastie that Scott hooked a couple of years ago that was most probably a big ray in the ton + range.
Mike. I'll be in India from January till March 2009. Søren's right in saying that lure tackle is the way to go but let me know your itinerary and if you're visiting Goa, maybe we can meet up and we can put you onto a few fish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:39 pm 

Hi Søren

Thanks for you reply. The heavy tackle is for the blue water.

I have just tried to cover every eventuality possible here, but must agree that the line for the beach casters is a little light. I will have problems if i had heavier line on these reels as they are for distance casting and will only hold 300m of 20lb line.

As for poppers i have a nice range, but mainly large ones 14cm 52g (various colours, but mainly red.heads and fluro) and 20cm 120g super poppers same colours as smaller ones.

I have not fished for GT's on with poppers yet, i have always used squid jigs for them.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:46 pm 

Søren for got to ask, you say 60lb for your heavy popping out fit, are you fishing of a boat as i cant imagine huge distances with a 7ft rod 60lb line. I'll look in to getting some of those trebles too! Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:49 pm 

Hi Ken,

I'll be in Goa from 12th of November till 16th of January. Are you out there for a long fishign trip too then?

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:33 am 

YOUR RIGHT THE ´SHORT IS FOR BOATS, I ALWAYS FIND BOAT FOR GT`s it just gives you more shore line to cover in short time, the size for your poppers is good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:48 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Mike.
You might pick up a few decent fish with beachcasting tactics (We've hooked but never landed some big fish in Goa) but catfish will quickly become the bane of your life and it's a lot of kit to carry for a few litle squeekers.
If you want to target the barramundi and mangrove jacks in the rivers, you'll need a spinning rod casting 40 - 80g (30 - 60g will do but you'll need to know how to play big fish effectivly), a reel loaded with braid (I like either 14 or 20lb fireline but you could use 30lb powerpro or similar) and a selection of 4 & 5" shads and 5" & 6" shallow diving minnows like the bomber long A
There are a couple of places that are not to far away from Goa where you have a decent chance of sharks from the shore or where you can lure fish for GTs and have a fair chance of catching fish, if that's what you want to target, but I'm not going to go into that now.
I'll be out there from about 07.01.08 but Scott (Worldfisher) is flying out in November. If you want to try to meet up, let me know and I'll draw his attention to this thread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:10 pm 

Hi Ken

Sounds interesting. I used to beach cast the shore of Oman a few years back hooking some huge fish on live baits, mainly large rays. As we fished of the rocks and cliffs we could see what was about, have lost a rod before when i left the bail arm open with a live bait, not paying attention...next min my rod was catapulted of the rocks and carried on going in to the sea. I immediately jumping off (10m) and swimming after the rod! After catching up with it it was just floating, and all the line was gone! Have had some nice kingfish and queenfish of the rocks too to live baits.

My lures mainly consist in the 14cm+ range...not going to bring any thing smaller as there too light and cating will be come a problem. I have never caught a Barramundi before and am looking forward to it very much!

I love the sound of that spot where i could hook in to some thing big of the coast, as it is just not going to be feesable to be going out every day on the boat with petrol costs! I heard fishing of the point by Aguada Ford is good with access to very deep water from the shore, have you heard of any thing from this place? I'll be staying in Anjuna and have a jeep, so are willing to do a bit of traveling if the locations could bring up some big fish! What are the tackle shops like? Is it possible to buy weights in the 6oz range?

Always keen to meet fellow anglers, so would be great if you could get him in touch. Where will you be staying as we could arrange a trip before i leave on the 16th?

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:18 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Mike.
I'm off to work now but I'll try to PM you tonight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:08 pm 
Fishaholic

Live bait will work in goa... How are going to travel with all that gear man?? :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:03 am 

I've got a large rod bag used for sea fishing here, will hold most of the rods. Then a rucksack for my clothes and a suit case for all the fishing gear. It will be tough, very tough...but so worth it. Theres nothing worse than thinking i have left soem thing behind which could catch me that fish of a life time.
mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:26 am 
Fishaholic

psymin wrote:
Theres nothing worse than thinking i have left soem thing behind which could catch me that fish of a life time.
mike

Please inform if the bucktail jigs worked for you. Catch you there if I make it this year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:45 pm 
Fishaholic

looks like a heavy duty preparation mate i wish you catch many fish . We might catch up one of those days cheers and tight lines [smilie=coolup.gif] [smilie=coolup.gif] [smilie=coolup.gif]