->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:02 am

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:27 pm 

I am deliberating upon dams because i have only tried them in nashik
gangapur dam,dharna dam,khodala... and since the water is quite muddy in nashik please advice on the right bait to be used as i have tried everything ranging from meat chunks to worms to artificial ones!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:45 am 
Fishaholic

look around the water, see and smell whats in the air and you'll know what to use for bait. Use a natural bait rather than one which is not 'in season'.

Earthworms are good in and around the rains, just about everything bites on em. Look at other bug life too. Are there temples around the lake or a regular ferry service, these are excellent places which are 'automatically ground baited and therefore the fish are used to certian types of foods eg atta! Which trees are in fruit? A lot of berries and figs make excellent bait!

In short develop watercraft. If you want to catch big fish, go the whole 9 yards!

Cheers,
IG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:16 am 
Fishaholic

Silk weed & catch minnows.

Post subject: RE:indian gypsy
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:08 pm 

thanx a lot will surely try it! this means dat on all previous occasions I was unlucky while using worms!! while using atta should it be made into a ball and then onto the hook or a paste like formation just covering the hook?

Post subject: Re: RE:indian gypsy
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:34 pm 
Fishaholic

ostrocastro wrote:
thanx a lot will surely try it! this means dat on all previous occasions I was unlucky while using worms!! while using atta should it be made into a ball and then onto the hook or a paste like formation just covering the hook?

Make it into a ball... easier to handle... leave a bit of the barb exposed though if not using a rig... after you knead the atta, plonk it in boiling water for about 20 mins... will make it harder and therefore it will stay on the hook longer...

furthermore, make pellets half the size of the ball you are going to put on the hook. use these for ground baiting and letting the fish know that atta is edible... there are places where atta works brilliantly (my earlier point of are there temples or a ferry service on the water) because the fish know its edible. In other places you have to get the fish used to it...

Be careful around temples though a lot of people object because the fish is considered to be one of Vishnus' avatars... safer bet is where there is a ferry service... places where people embark from usuall have things like chai shops which sell a lot of namkeen, mathhi and other munchies to passangers... a lot o this stuff lands in the water... therefore.. automatic ground baiting!!!

don't have a ferry service, temple priest to touchy... look near the dam... most dams in the country are tourist spots and usually have a canteen/cafeteria catering to the junta... go behind the canteen, look down hill... in 99% of the cases, you'll find left over food just being dumped out the back window and it invariablly finds its way into the water... this is another good spot to fish!!! + the fish will not be too shy here due to the constant human interation an the free food being supplied!!!

are you savvy with Google Earth? if so, PM me your co-ordinates for places you plan to hit.

tight lines,
IG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:48 am 
Fishaholic

That is so true IG!

As for the tourist dumping stuff into the water... I think Kurkure, Lays chips and glucose biscuits are now officially groundbait.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:05 pm 
Fishaholic

Right said MK....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:29 pm 
Fishaholic

We caught lots of white fish like rohu, catla, masheer using Silk weed.

You get boondi from the local sweet shop, it can be used as float bait. This is the wonder bait. Make a triple hook series and Hook boondi and let it float. Try and tell me the results.

Cheers
Salim

Post subject: HI GUYS
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:51 pm 
Enlightened

WHAT EXACTLY IS BOONDI

Post subject: Re: HI GUYS
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:19 pm 
Fishaholic

vincent wrote:
WHAT EXACTLY IS BOONDI

its similar to jalebi, only its like lttle dots.. go check out a halwai shop outside a hanuman temple on a tuesday, and you'll know what boondi is...
furthermore, boondi tends to be a bit too sweet... better to use the boondi used in raita... its a bit on the hard side, but a few drops of water does the trick... anyone tried Nutrine Nuggets (vadi)???

Post subject: RE:indian gypsy
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:18 pm 

I really admire your description!!! it is extremely detailed yet precise!!
newayz i had gone to someshwar a few months back and saw the area behind the waterfall where there is a still patch together with a few others and yes a few nearby hawkers are there plus 2-3 tea stalls filled with people who certainly throw things like chips,biscuits,flowers and other things in water which as you said will be an ideal spot !
as far as the attta is concerned i hav got it but do you mean ragi atta or normal flour can do?
You mentioned that use 3 hooks on the same line which means one below the other with a certain distance having the same bait which could reach different depths?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:57 pm 
Fishaholic

I wouyld not personally reccomend 3 hooks on a line because as a rule of thumb, ware depth does not change considerably in about 10 ft length wise, unless you are fishing off a cliff edge... id reccomend 3 rods set at different depths and interlavs till you know which zone the fish are feeding in!

Ragi or atta( wheat based) depends on where you are geoprahically... south india ragi... else where, atta... look at the crop cultivation... best deal... stop byhe tea stalls you mentioned and see what are the desi snaks these guys are selling... ask the fiendly bloke for the recipie of the hishest selling item... chances are that in the nasik areit will either be wheat or rice based... there your answer...

tight lines....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:55 pm 
Site Admin

IG you and Bobbee have a lot in common LOL :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:56 am 
Fishaholic

IndianAngler wrote:

Jim morrison ...2 by 2 ... pot , glue , aspirin an coke , blue crystals , running dog ,, silver paper ,, tin foil .... im sure these guys are sharing prescriptions Bops :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:42 pm 
Fishaholic

Fredfish wrote:
IndianAngler wrote:

Jim morrison ...2 by 2 ... pot , glue , aspirin an coke , blue crystals , running dog ,, silver paper ,, tin foil .... im sure these guys are sharing prescriptions Bops :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

bops is supplying the kannada greens!!! :D :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:03 pm 
Fishaholic

My recipe is simple, get up at 7.30 am have good glass of tea, wait for the other blighters to cast their lines with bait, come to the area where they; are fishing, put up my chair, rod holder, cast and anything comes on, well and good, come ten thirsty sorree, ten thirty call for two beers, dunk them down and viola there`s a f`l` ish on the other end. That`s what you call fishing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:05 pm 
Fishaholic

Oowen uncle what say you? :oops: :D :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:40 pm 
Fishaholic

beemorein wrote:
My recipe is simple, get up at 7.30 am have good glass of tea, wait for the other blighters to cast their lines with bait, come to the area where they; are fishing, put up my chair, rod holder, cast and anything comes on, well and good, come ten thirsty sorree, ten thirty call for two beers, dunk them down and viola there`s a f`l` ish on the other end. That`s what you call fishing.

Bops this gonna make it to the " best of Bobbee " album ...... going platinium ... and hes got OMO for company :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:54 pm 

IndianAngler wrote:

Hi May I have any information about Gandola Bait with its size 5-6-7 inches. Any Idea.

Regards
Faruki