->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:05 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: "Travel" Rods.
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:27 pm 
Fishaholic

Multisection [ 3/4/5 section] Rods are said to a boon for anglers who travel. There is no doubt about their convenience how good are they on a day of hard casting and fighting a bigger than normal fish. I have that feeling that they cannot match their 2 section cousins.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:23 pm 

Both myself and a pal have been converted to shimano travel rod for Mahseer fishing on the Ramganaga. My pal has considerable experience (20yrs) on the Cauvery and was suitable impressed with its performance (fish to 35lb thus far).

We use them for spinning and chilwa/atta fishing, They are 10ft convertable to 9 ft if needed, cast upto 50gm.

Biggest proble I have found with ravel rods is they can be heavy to hold all day but these are great.

I also used them in Florida keys landign smal shark, barracuda too!

For the travelling man they are super but choose wisely.....

Not sure if they are upto playing the monsters in the south but hopefukky we will find out next year:)

Ialso used multisection fly rods and these too are great. I think todays technology has given us a good deal of choice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:06 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Ashok,

I have been using a 5pc Shimano (EXAGE) and a Quantum Great White 3pc travel rod for some time now. After I got these two rods, I have stopped using all my other rods. Though I havent caught a very big fish with these rods, still I feel they are capable.

Cheers,
Apoo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:59 pm 
Fishaholic

Ditto here too.
I am also a Shimano Exage user and have found them to be extremely versatile.
The Shimano STC range offers a very wide variety of travel rods suitable for almost all types of fishing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:04 am 

Hi Ashok,

I own some travel rods:

Shimano Exage AX STC - Spin - 300/330
Shimano Exage AX STC - Trolling - 20/30 LB
Shimano Exage AX STC - Boat - 240MH (i guess this is 8/12 LB, it is not written on the rod)
DAM - Boat 30 Lb
Shakespeare Travel Beach (dont remember the exact model)

Already purchased and delivered at my friends house, just need to collect

Shimano Exage AX STC - Spin - 210/240
Shimano Beastmaster AX STC - Beach - 4.25
Shakespeare Salt Travel Beach

Until 2 years ago i was always buying and using telescopic rods, for the travelling convenience. But when i purchased my first Shimano Boat Rod 240MH, i liked it so much that i have already purchased many of their STC rods in different categories. The construction / quality / finish of these rods is so beautiful and they are so convenient for travel purpose, especially because of their hard travel case. I had no possibility to test my spin/beach rods but i am using the boat 240 since last 2 years and it is working like a samurai sword. Mostly doing boat/jigging in Norway using heavy jigs of 200-400 grams, without any problem. Catching fish of 9 / 10 kilo is not a problem and today was the biggest fish i caught with the same rod, around 20 kilo Sea Wolf, in Greenland and the rod performed very well.

The other rods, DAM and Shakespeare are ok but not the same quality as Shimano.

So i would say, if you are thinking of buying any travel rod, yes, definitely you can go for Shimano STC range.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:19 am 
Fishaholic

Thanks a lot for all the inputs on multisection rods.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:19 am 

Hi Ashok, Long time.How 's fishing?
I got myself a shimano beastmaster 6 pc 3/3.30m travel rod with a 6000 Aero Gte reel and the rod handles well, can feel the slightest roll/movement of bait and every nibble.Awesome.havent handled big guys on this one, When i do, i'll post here!
I also have a Fox 6 pc travel -this one is 12 ft and handles upto 3 oz , with a TC of 3 lb.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:12 pm 
Enlightened

sobars_machado wrote:
Hi Ashok,

I own some travel rods:

Shimano Exage AX STC - Spin - 300/330
Shimano Exage AX STC - Trolling - 20/30 LB
Shimano Exage AX STC - Boat - 240MH (i guess this is 8/12 LB, it is not written on the rod)
DAM - Boat 30 Lb
Shakespeare Travel Beach (dont remember the exact model)

Already purchased and delivered at my friends house, just need to collect

Shimano Exage AX STC - Spin - 210/240
Shimano Beastmaster AX STC - Beach - 4.25
Shakespeare Salt Travel Beach

Until 2 years ago i was always buying and using telescopic rods, for the travelling convenience. But when i purchased my first Shimano Boat Rod 240MH, i liked it so much that i have already purchased many of their STC rods in different categories. The construction / quality / finish of these rods is so beautiful and they are so convenient for travel purpose, especially because of their hard travel case. I had no possibility to test my spin/beach rods but i am using the boat 240 since last 2 years and it is working like a samurai sword. Mostly doing boat/jigging in Norway using heavy jigs of 200-400 grams, without any problem. Catching fish of 9 / 10 kilo is not a problem and today was the biggest fish i caught with the same rod, around 20 kilo Sea Wolf, in Greenland and the rod performed very well.

The other rods, DAM and Shakespeare are ok but not the same quality as Shimano.

So i would say, if you are thinking of buying any travel rod, yes, definitely you can go for Shimano STC range.

Hi, I've just recently (a week ago) bought the Shimano Exage 240 MH boat rod. I found it rather annoying that it didn't have a line rating on it.

It does have a casting rating on it 75-250grms, because of this I kind of assumed it would be similar to a short light uptide rod and the line rating would be something like 15-30lb line.

I've not fished with it yet, I will this weekend when I go to Wales. I thought the rod would obviously be good from a boat but might also be useful from piers and close in fishing with big baits from deepwater rocks.

I've teamed it up with an Okuma Magnetix 30cs.

If I catch anything with it I'll let you know.

John.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:22 pm 

Hi John,

Yes that's correct, there is no line rating written on the rod but somewhere on one of the world sea forum i was reading that the rod is rated for 8-12 lb. Although i have other rods, most of the time or i could say 95% of the time i am using this rod because i find it nice and convenient to use the same rod from boat and from pier, so no need to carry 2 rods for different job. I am able to cast a jig of 200 gram nearly more than 50 mtrs with it without any problem, which is sufficient in most cases if you are fishing from the pier. I am using/tried this rod only with Abu 6501 C3 reel + Power Pro 30 lb line and for me it is a good combination.

One more advantage of this rod is, you get enough bend in the rod even with a small 1 kg fish and at the same time it can handle the fish upto 20 kilo without any problem (i mean to say, the biggest fish i have ever caught was 20 kg, not more, so i dont know if it will be able to handle 100 kg fish :wink: :?: or not).

I enjoy more to catch 40 lb fish with a rod rated for 10 lb than to catch 10 lb fish with a rod rated for 40 lb, where the rod does not even bend 20 degrees. So this is the reason i like 240MH.

By the way, good luck for your next fishing trip with this rod. Waiting for nice pictures.