->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:19 am

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:41 am 
Fishaholic

Guys yesterday I was at Head Rasul Barrage on the Jehlum river. We were fishing for Rahu, common carp etc.

Suddenly got a bite and believe me the first run sent shivers down my spine. As I was using 17 pound test line, I just couldn't afford to break the run of the fish. I tried my level best to keep the fish at the surface (could see the fish at the surface) but after a strugle of 30-45 mins the fish setled to the bottom. The fish had stripped 150-200 yrds of line.
We sent for the boat, but on reaching the spot where the fish had taken guard the hook came out completely starightened. I was using mustad # 1.

My guess and the local guide with us was that it was a Fauji Khagga ( Goonch/Mulley) in the 25-30 Kg Mark.

What Tackle( Rod/line/Reel/Hooks (sizes and make) are recommended for fish this size. They are certain places in Pakistan that still suport huge fish in the 25-30 kg mark some even bigger (Rahu, Mahahsheer, Goonch, Muley). When ever I go to these spots dont want to go under prepared.

Will apreciate what ever advise is available

Rgds

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:29 pm 
Enlightened

Hi Shapan,
i had a very interesting encounter with the Goonch in river Ravi about 3 months back. i was actually hoping for a big mahasheer, when suddenly the reel went into a high pitched schreeching mode. i tried my best to put some drag, but it was of no avail. After one brief run. the fish settled down in the water. And it wont move or budge from the spot. i was using 35 gram blue fox vibrax on a 25 pound braid. i tried various methods... like sending a lure retreiver on the line, even one mouth of the earthen pot through the line; so that it may disturb the settled fish. But it was of no use. I struggled for 4 hours with the beast. In the end, it broke the line . But during the 4 hours, it did not move at all. I think it must be atleast 50+ kg. I tried to tire it out, but it was me who had puffed up arms and aching biceps in the end.

Goonch has this typical habit - of taking the bait , and then settling down at the bottom.
Better luck next time.

Harryxs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:19 pm 
Fishaholic

an abu 10000 and an uptide rod, 80lb mono
OR
an electric winch
:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:11 pm 
Fishaholic

Aaron wrote:
OR
an electric winch
:D

Add a good 4x4 to that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:34 am 
Fishaholic

You should have used a gaft.... :? I believe Goonch/Mulley do not fall into the catch and release category.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:37 pm 

if they are what i think they are! they make some nice barbequed snacks! just fillet it and barbeque :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:41 am 
Fishaholic

Thank you all,

The winch and 4x4 are a must. :wink:

Quote:
OR
an electric winch

What would an abu 10000 cost. What uptide rod do u recommend.[/quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:18 am 
Fishaholic

I have not verified this but there is a way to dislodge cat fishes and that is to rub sand on your line. The perception is that the fine vibration created by rubbing sand on your line annoys the fish and it moves from the position where it has lodged itself. I do not know that this method will work for Goonch or not but it is worth trying.

:?
Regards,

Ali. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:25 am 
Fishaholic

angler_ali wrote:
I have not verified this but there is a way to dislodge cat fishes and that is to rub sand on your line. The perception is that the fine vibration created by rubbing sand on your line annoys the fish and it moves from the position where it has lodged itself. I do not know that this method will work for Goonch or not but it is worth trying.

Regards,

Yup! this is what i have heard and seen too. The locals would get there line very taut and then rubs a smooth stick, like a violin, on it. They said the hum and vibrations irritate the fish and get it moving.

Though i think tossing big stones behind the fish works the best. Just watch out for the line.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:28 pm 
Fishaholic

Shaphan

goto: http://home.earthlink.net/~catfish_billy/id14.html

that guy is recomending some rods and reals for cats

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:35 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi
tomarow I will photogarh and send a pic of what I use to dislodge the biggest / most sulky fish from the bottom. Use the heavyest rods -the heaviset line-the thichest hook but somewhere some link will fail.Or else the fishes mouth will tear.Confuse the fish and take her out on a m/h rod and on a 20 lb line and a 4x hook size 2/0 minimum. You will bring her in as a piece of deadwood.Only goonj will not take less flowing water.Take her out in fast flowing water or she chokes and runs for life and liberty.
Tight Lines
Hamdhingra

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:55 am 
Fishaholic

angler_ali wrote:

Regards,

Put your mobile phone on vibration mode and hold it against the taut line ;-)
Worth a try :-)
Regards,
Yaj.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:02 pm 
Fishaholic

Quote:
I believe Goonch/Mulley do not fall into the catch and release category.

This is a fish that grows big, sets the drag screaming and that people want to activly target. Not only that but it's reputedly not that great to eat. It's absolutely the sort of fish that you should catch and release.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:37 pm 
Fishaholic

yaj wrote:

Put your mobile phone on vibration mode and hold it against the taut line ;-)
Worth a try :-)
Regards,
Yaj.

That's some innovative thinking Yaj! :-) should be worth a try... still on the topic.. I remember dislodging massive sting rays stuck on the sea bed by rubbing sand on a tout line... It did work.

Cheers,
Madhur.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:10 am 
Fishaholic

Ken L wrote:
Quote:

This is a fish that grows big, sets the drag screaming and that people want to activly target. Not only that but it's reputedly not that great to eat. It's absolutely the sort of fish that you should catch and release.

I totally agree! Though i must say that though the goonch is reputed as being bad eating the Mulley(shivada) is a sought after table fish at least in Maharashtra.
Regards,
Yaj.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:41 pm 

Sounds amazing. to think that a fishing in fresh water can get so big that you need to throw stones at it! makes me laugh and at the same time quite excited to give it a go!

Whats the best bait and habitats to look for when targeting these massive fish?

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:05 am 
Fishaholic

Guys,

Thats some really interesting info and the next time I do come across a goonch will try these methods.

Yaj As far as eating goes goonch aren't gud at all and for the mulleys the smaller ones are ok but the larger ones dont taste that gud.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:56 pm 
Fishaholic

shaphan wrote:
Guys,

Thats some really interesting info and the next time I do come across a goonch will try these methods.

Yaj As far as eating goes goonch aren't gud at all and for the mulleys the smaller ones are ok but the larger ones dont taste that gud.

I myself have eaten only a small mulley i had manged to hook and it was really good.The locals(maharashtra) seemed to consider it a great delicacy and they said it sells for 150-180 Rs a kg, they were horrified that I had released the other one :wink:
Regards,
Yaj.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:58 am 

in many parts of maharashtra, even the catfish (shingala) is a very sought after fish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:18 pm 
Fishaholic

I thought you guys might like a look at the beastie in this article.
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/ne ... 784470.ece

I should point out that The Sun is a British "newspaper" that caters for the sort of people who can't read their daily quota of news and football results unless there are breasts on every page. As a result, the jornalistic standards arn't exactly high. The fish is a big-un though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:57 pm 
Fishaholic

Great pic.

Thanx for Sharing Ken L

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:22 pm 
Fishaholic

Friends here it is - nicknamed "Ham's Ring" . This little thing will dislodge anything in water. This is entirely my own creation and has worked for the last 14 odd yrs. I made it after one evening's fishing where I lost 7 Goonj - the biggest being about 60-80 Kgs. and then necessity became the mother of invention -and I made this .Remember the pins must be blunt.
Materials used
Piston ring of a tractor - Lead melted and made into a pencil -the same length/a little less - as the circumfrence of the piston ring - black elastic to strap the above two- 8 pins put through the combination -Put a drop of elfy on the round side of the pin to make it hold fast - cut the pins blunt in front - Put a copper wire through the slot in the ring ( later to be put around the line and closed with the copper wire going through the other side of the piston ring slot and then dropped on to the sulking fish.
Shake your line to enable it to go down.Shake it a bit more when it has reached.You will begin to feel the fish shake its head again and again -and then it will rise confused(it takes time) And then just take your fish out.
If by any chance you feel it may not work - put this contraption against your cheek or lips or forehead and with your own hand and see if you can think any further.The same happens to the fish

http://img527.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... ingqo8.jpg

Tight Lines
Hamdhingra

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:10 pm 
Fishaholic

How big and heavy is this thing????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:56 am 
Fishaholic

Hi, Diameter of the ring is 4 inches and the thickness of the lead is more or less the same as an actual pencil.Weight of this one is 110 gms.150 gms would do better.
Hope this helps - and do let me know your results
Hamdhingra

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:54 am 
Fishaholic

Ken L wrote:
I thought you guys might like a look at the beastie in this article.
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/ne ... 784470.ece

I should point out that The Sun is a British "newspaper" that caters for the sort of people who can't read their daily quota of news and football results unless there are breasts on every page. As a result, the jornalistic standards arn't exactly high. The fish is a big-un though.

This is definitely near Marchula, the ghillie in the centre is the guy who was with me on my day there :-)
No monsters for me though :wink:
Regards,
Yaj.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:39 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Hamdhingra,

Good idea, nice improvising... I'll try and make one for the rays out here.

Cheers,
Madhur.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:55 am 
Fishaholic

Thanks Mr Hamdhingra. I will definatly PM you if I get to make one. I want to use it on a gobra.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:42 pm 
Enlightened

Yaj,
It was supposed to be from the Kali according to the program, but looks very much like the Ramganga that i have fished around Corbett, and i know the angler whop caught it, Jeremy Wade, has also fished that area and up around Bhikyasen, so they might not have been entirely truthful on the film!
On my next trip to the Himalayas I'll be making sure i have a go for the goonch, always end up just fishing for mahseer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:27 pm 
Fishaholic

All the stories and myth created by Jeremy Wade are nothing more than a publicity stunt to create sensation for his film. His attempt to compare this fish to mythical Yeti is really comical. Goonch (bagarius ) is a very common fish in sub mountain rivers and lurks in deep and rocky pools. This fish is described by the Raj era anglers as a vermin of river and a nuisance to anglers for its habit of diving to the bottom of river and wedging itself between rocks when hooked. If you go through the man Eater of Rudryapryag by Jim Corbett, you will find mention of this fish.

If you go to any fishing spot in North India and interact with the locals you will always hear the story of these giant fishes and they always inspire awe and fear due to sheer size. Well it is not usual to come to face with a 150-200 kg giant swimming in a fresh water river.

The worst story of cruelty I have heard till date is that locals of Himanchal, when they catch this fish, tie it in the river and daily cut some portion of this fish to consume as fresh meat.

It is a highly endangered species now and should be protected.

As per my understanding, Mr. wade had caught this fish from Ram Ganga.

This fish is a very real and common fish and not a Yeti of Indian rivers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:59 pm 
Fishaholic

Tathagata wrote:
You should have used a gaft.... :? I believe Goonch/Mulley do not fall into the catch and release category.

All fish fall in the catch and release category Sir! Think of maintaining a balance in the aquatic enviornment!

From my experience, its pretty straight forward when it to goonch and mulley...

1) They both are carnivores, and will gladly take a plug, spoon or spinner along with live baits.
2) The mulley Wallagu Attu is also known as the sub continents' fresh water shark; they bite really bad... don't stick your fingers in its mouth... the goonchs' teeth are equally disturbing.
3) The goonch loves to bury ts head between rock in the water; ergo; aquire a nice 4x4 and a good winch to get him out. He takes in the rapids, just at the base.
4) The mulley on the otherhand prefers calmer water and will be found in pools and tanks/lakes. It makes a mad dash, all the while gnawing at the line. If you can hold the first run, you have it under control, even though there will be 2 or 3 rushes that follow. It does make a dive for under water obstructions such as rocks and submerged trees, there by entangling the line; the dead weight. The fish has snapped the line and moved on, while leaving the line wrapped around something.

I find it helps to use a very very tough mono or steel leader to prevent them chewing through or buringing out on the rocks too soon.

Cheers and tight lines...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:48 am 
Fishaholic

Hamdhingra wrote:
Friends here it is - nicknamed "Ham's Ring" . This little thing will dislodge anything in water. This is entirely my own creation and has worked for the last 14 odd yrs. I made it after one evening's fishing where I lost 7 Goonj - the biggest being about 60-80 Kgs. and then necessity became the mother of invention -and I made this .Remember the pins must be blunt.
Materials used
Piston ring of a tractor - Lead melted and made into a pencil -the same length/a little less - as the circumfrence of the piston ring - black elastic to strap the above two- 8 pins put through the combination -Put a drop of elfy on the round side of the pin to make it hold fast - cut the pins blunt in front - Put a copper wire through the slot in the ring ( later to be put around the line and closed with the copper wire going through the other side of the piston ring slot and then dropped on to the sulking fish.
Shake your line to enable it to go down.Shake it a bit more when it has reached.You will begin to feel the fish shake its head again and again -and then it will rise confused(it takes time) And then just take your fish out.
If by any chance you feel it may not work - put this contraption against your cheek or lips or forehead and with your own hand and see if you can think any further.The same happens to the fish

http://img527.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... ingqo8.jpg

Tight Lines
Hamdhingra

Leathal Weapon!!! Brilliant contraption sir!