->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:13 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:50 pm 

These are particularly good for kids who fish, but also for folks who want to save money by not purchasing lead sinkers.

http://members.aol.com/Ciekurs3/Sandsinkers.html

Also good for the environment!

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:41 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks Perkons for the inovative technic for Sand Sinkers. I have one doubt, that is, would this sinker stay put at one point when rested at sand bed or would roll on the sand bed and would come near shore?

What is your experince?

Regards,

Arun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:37 am 
Fishaholic

Thanks Perkons, good idea! Definitely going to try this.
Regards,
Yaj.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:18 am 
Fishaholic

arun.mohile wrote:
Thanks Perkons for the inovative technic for Sand Sinkers. I have one doubt, that is, would this sinker stay put at one point when rested at sand bed or would roll on the sand bed and would come near shore?

What is your experince?

Regards,

Arun

I think trying out different shapes will positively overcome this problem. A triangle or gunnybag shape will sit properly. Now you just have to learn how to use the sewing machine.

In any shape it is a very good idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:08 pm 
Fishaholic

good idea

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:33 pm 

I've been trying to come up with a good shape for the sinker to STAY PUT in the sand, but so far without success. If anyone comes up with a good shape, please post it.

I have discovered that it works better if you dip it in water just before casting because that makes it heavier in the air.

Perkons :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:10 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Perons,

I remember watching a Kiwi surfcasting program where they were using 2 sinkers designs that tend to stay put.

One had flat surfaces pyramid sinkers so that the flat surfaces sat on the bed as opposed to round surfaces which would assist the roll. See picture below, however weight was at the other end and the pyramid base was not base as in this picture was not flat but tapered for better aerodynamics when casting to improve distance.

The other one had wires incorporated into it (Breakout sinkers) which dug into the sand and got a firm hold there, the wires were fitted into groves and acted like clips, when you retrieved your sinker back the clip came loosed and flipped backwards and the sinker comes free, all you need to do is re-align or load the Sinker before the next cast. This sinker really holds the bottom, there are several types available, see images below.

Perhaps you know about these sinkers already and they are not quite made of sand, but as you asked about shape...

Regards,

bobby

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:50 pm 

I've used the pyramid shaped one made of lead but unless it's very heavy it still moves around in the surf. I wish they would make these out of tungsten because I don't like handling lead.

The second ones you show, the ones with the wires, are new to me. Also, I could probably figure out a way to make a sandsinker with such wires sticking out that would grip the sand.

I'll try it the next time I go surf fishing.

Perkons

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:32 pm 
Fishaholic

Good one thanks for sharing....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:28 am 

Good idea Perkons, especially usefull when fishing in rough ground , where the chances of losing your rig are more.
Regards,
Suraj,