->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:53 am

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:52 pm 
Fishaholic

On the forums advice I have ditched Shimano Baitrunner 6500 for the Pen Spinfisher SS [25 lb mono / 250 yds capacity]. The spinning rod would be a Ugly Stik Gold Spin 9' [upto 60 gms cast weight] from Shakespeare UK[UK Pounds 37+shipping from an online dealer]. Is this rod good or should I go for the Shimano Beastmaster which is more expensive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:53 pm 
Fishaholic

One more topic / question. How do you handle deep pools in the fast waters? Any specific spoons / spinners good for these. You would need some weight on the lures so that they go down fast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:31 am 
Fishaholic

On spinning rods again how good are the Penn Guide Series Surf Rods, cast weight 1-4 Oz, line rating 12-30 lbs for heavy mahseer spinning?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:55 am 
Fishaholic

Hi,

I know all of you guys are really into hi-tec rods etc.

I was on the lookout for a 12' surf spinning rod to use at one particular location with very large plugs, I needed it to be a 3 pc rod, all the rods I could find were surfcasting rods where the reel-seat is very high and it makes it difficult to spin and manoeuvre the lure through rocks etc. I did come across a couple of G-Loomis rods that did fit the bill but they were all 2 pce.

Finally I saw a 3pce rod, if I am not mistaken it is made by sure catch, this rod has a screw-on floating reel-seat that allows you set the reel in your comfort zone, how close or how far to your body, because the seat is screw on, it feels very secure and I did not feel it would come off at the wrong time. I have not used the rod yet but will ‘test’ it out very soon under the most trying conditions.

Sorry Ashok, I cant really help you with your questions about Penn, besides, I am a saltwater angler and I have never caught a Mahseer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:39 am 
Fishaholic

ashokpkl wrote:
One more topic / question. How do you handle deep pools in the fast waters? Any specific spoons / spinners good for these. You would need some weight on the lures so that they go down fast.

Hi Ashok,
Well if you are fishing deep pools that are fast flowing or even fishing fast deep rapids with spoons (i assume we are talking masheer here), well i have found that the angling shop "Karmakar" opposeite Shealda station in Kolkata makes some great 3" and 5" silver spoons with the fish scale design on them.
A picture of this spoon is available in Rod in India or Circumventing the Masheer (will check and get back). They are called Myitkyana spoons and were used in Burma for big masheer.
These spoons are rather heavy and need to be refitted with extra strong trebles as the trebles that they come with, crumble when they hit a rock in the water.

The first time i hit a big fish with one of these spoons was just below Kengal on the Kaveri, in one of the biggest rapids in the area. The spoon came back to me with just the shank of the treble. All 3 hooks missing.

I have since refitted them with extra strong hooks and swivels by brazing them on.

The method of spinning with these spoons is well described in those wonderful books.

By the way, i was given some spinners that look more like torture instruments (pictures of which are shown in the above mentioned books), by an aging angler, but have not used them till date.

Thomas in Rod in India firmly believed that a dead fish properly mounted on one of these jigs and spun in the water, makes one of the most effective baits for masheer, and is the only way to catch masheer in coloured water conditions. I remember one of these spinners as being called the "Coxon Spinner".

We sometimes get so used to tried and tested methods, that we sometimes neglect to try out different approaches which could produce even better results.
I must take this stuff out to the river and try it out myself and post the results.
Regards
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:25 pm 
Fishaholic

ashokpkl wrote:
On the forums advice I have ditched Shimano Baitrunner 6500 for the Pen Spinfisher SS [25 lb mono / 250 yds capacity]. The spinning rod would be a Ugly Stik Gold Spin 9' [upto 60 gms cast weight] from Shakespeare UK[UK Pounds 37+shipping from an online dealer]. Is this rod good or should I go for the Shimano Beastmaster which is more expensive.

Hi Ashok,
Just saw your thread this afternoon. I am a 'shimano' fan, but I've used the Penn Spinfisher SS and found it to be a tough reliable reel. Will probably also be easier to service/clean up. One thing about the Shimano beastmaster 96610 is that its a beast of a rod, not one designed to spin with. I have used the beastmaster extensively to spin while out in the Andamans and found it a very difficult rod to work with. It would be preferable to use it in the South with Ragi and a multiplier. The Shakespear rod sounds fine. I take it that you do most of your fishing in the North.

ashokpkl wrote:

As I make my own spinners I tend to use them more and ignore spoons. I have a huge collection that have never been used. I make spinners with a 'willow leaf' blade design for faster water and heavier bodies to make them sink further. I always look for changes in patterns of flowing water and for structure. I like casting around rocks, where a mahseer can lie out of the current waiting for something to swim by. Pull spinners/spoons from shallow slack water through a pool rather than sending a spoon smack into the middle of it. Remamber your spoon is a small fish that rying to avoid bigger fish so work your spoon to imitate a baitfish.

ashokpkl wrote:
On spinning rods again how good are the Penn Guide Series Surf Rods, cast weight 1-4 Oz, line rating 12-30 lbs for heavy mahseer spinning?

I'm not sure about a surf rod..... you haven't mentioned the length. The longer the rod the more difficult it is to spin, casting repeatedly becomes very demanding physically. It would make sense to spend your time and energy fighting a fish and not the rod. Over time my views have changed and I'd go for a 8 to 9ft rod now rather than a longer one. Hope this has helped.

Regards,
Mighty Marlin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:30 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks, Owen & Mighty Marlin, for your advice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:01 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Ashok,
MM has given you great advice on spinning rods.
Regards
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:59 pm 
Fishaholic

ashokpkl wrote:
Thanks, Owen & Mighty Marlin, for your advice.

Anytime Ashok [smilie=coolup.gif]

Regards,
Mighty Marlin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:18 pm 

hi guys

if you after a good travel adventure rods for spinning the new wychwood grand tourer rods are now avaliable in the uk, there are 4 models in the range, they are the following

12ft 2.75lb [5 peice] -light bait fishing, made for big carp fishing in europe
12ft 3lb [5 peice] - light bait fishing, made for big carp fishing in europe

10ft 2.75 [5peice] - great spinning rod for mahseer to 35lb
10ft 4.5lb [5 peice]- will hold fish to 100lb and bigger, made specifically for carp and cats on the river ebro in spain, good goonch rod, or big plugs 10" and big rubber baits, or for ragi...many uses

they all retail for about 70 pounds, but im sure you will find some better deals out there plus you get a free hard case for the rods as well

on my last trip up north i used a wychwood jungle rod 9ft 2.75, and it was brilliant, light enought to use all day and strong enough to subdue fish to just under 43lb in the rapids , it comes in 2 sections, and retails for £60.

let me know if you need any more info or just look on our website

www.wychwoodtackle.co.uk

cheers

chris :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:03 pm 
Fishaholic

chris the fish wrote:
hi guys
10ft 4.5lb [5 peice]- will hold fish to 100lb and bigger, made specifically for carp and cats on the river ebro in spain, good goonch rod, or big plugs 10" and big rubber baits, or for ragi...many uses

cheers

chris :shock:

Hi Chris,

Now that's a rod! I wish I'd known earlier. I spent 3 weeks in MP (Madhya Pradesh) last year and had access to some fantastic water (Betwa, Panna, Narmada, Chambal)but was limited as I was only carrying a 6ft. spinning rod.
:(
Regards,
Mighty Marlin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:45 pm 

Hi Akshay

Hope this finds you well

The rod is perfect for Mahseer to 100lb ive used the 2.75lb version for all my Mahseer fishing and had no problems, the rod coped excellently for fish to 35lb, the other rod I used for spinning and lure work was the Wychwood jungle rod again in 2.75lb tc but this rod is 2 sections, these were perfect for the river up north and the 4.5lb should be ok for the big boys down south, but remember it’s a 5 section rod and not as strong overall as a 2 piece…but a lot easier to get around, Wychwood do a rucksack that the rods fit into as well, I took 2 rods 2 reels and all my tackle and clothes, enough for 1 week fishing and 2 weeks partying in Goa, and had room to spare…it’s a proper rucksack as well, with the waist supports and chest supports and is fully adjustable to the individual, so perfect for the long hikes down the mountains to the river below, the fishing I have done up north involves not only fishing but a bit of mountaineering to reach some of the best spots.

The spec for each rod is the following.

WYCHWOOD GT 4.5LB CARP AND CAT SPECIAL

5 sections, with super strength over-fit spigot joint top section

Full cork handle with extended fore grip, gives extra leverage when subduing big fish in heavy flows

Fuji [screw up] reel seat – will except any big pit / saltwater reel [fixed spool only]

Super strength double leg SVT rings throughout.

Supplied in a protective hard case with carry strap.

Retails for £69.99

HOPE THIS HELPS.

Not sure about where to buy it from, if you know anyone in the UK who would be able to buy one and send it over…!

You will get one for around £55, this is the norm over hear, one price for the retail and one you actually pay in the shop,

HAPPY SHOPPING MATE

Let me now if you struggle to find one and I will help where I can,

Ive attached the pics of my fish the first was 32lb and was caught in April and the second was caught early June and weighed 42lb

Enjoy

Chris s

[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:24 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey Chris,

Thanks for the info. Am a bit disatracted at the moment with tons of work piling up. Will be looking for someone to later carry out 2 rods for me. Have friends in the UK who won't mind, so that's not a real problem. The only problem maybe locating the rods, for which I may send you a PM.

Regards,
Mighty Marlin.

P.S. Could you please paste those pictures again, they're lost in cyber space somewhere. Would love to see them.