->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:07 am

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:53 pm 
Fishaholic

Dear Friends,

There is a common perception that catching a Catla (Catla catla) by hooking it in mouth is almost impossible and thus it can only be caught through foul means. Despite this perception, which is true in the sense that this fish does not take hook bait, there are many anglers who have caught Catla, properly hooked through the mouth. One hear many stories from different part of word, specially Bengal, of different techniques to attract this great fish and hooking it in mouth but on close scrutiny they turn out to be some modified form of Jhappy or some thing like that. I am starting this post in hope of generating some knowledge base to go after this elusive fish. I request all of you, who have caught catla, properly hooked through the mouth, to share their experience and techniques through this post. Here in Powai, there are monster size Catlas and my self and Granta have put there hearts on catching one of them. Any and all help will surely be appreciated.

Regards,

Ali..

Last edited by angler_ali on Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:33 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Ali,
There is a theory that because the catla has a comparatively oversized lower lip, it is unable to take the bait off the ground, but instead uses its tail to "whack" the bait in order to cause it to rise prior to a take. This is believed to be cause for it being often foul-hooked.
If this is so, perhaps suspending the bait a few inches off the ground could be an alternative.
At Powai, as you know, we have always been setting the float with the bait on the ground - maybe its time to try something different ??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:51 am 
Site Admin

Ali, this may sound funny but it might actually work. Try using a small rossogulla for hook bait with a hair rig. Since it is porous and semi-buoyant, when the catla comes close the bait will move and possibly rise up resulting in a proper take. The sweet syrup would also act like an attractant. You could also make it suspend a few inches off the bottom by using a small ball of foam inside or above the bait like the pic below.

Cheers
Bops

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:11 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks Hawkeye and Bops,
I will give your sugestion a try and lets hope it works. Bops it will be almost impossible to give rasogulla a try in presence of Rajat :lol: . I have to give him a slip the day I try that. :wink: .

Regards,

Ali.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:01 pm 
Fishaholic

angler_ali wrote:
Thanks Hawkeye and Bops,
I will give your sugestion a try and lets hope it works. Bops it will be almost impossible to give rasogulla a try in presence of Rajat :lol: . I have to give him a slip the day I try that. :wink: .

Regards,

Ali.

Alibhai .. why dont you try Rajat himself ... :lol: :lol: :lol: you wont need the pop up foam .. but it would be one very large rosoogola :evil: :evil: :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:06 pm 
Fishaholic

[quote=".[/quote]

Alibhai .. why dont you try Rajat himself ... :lol: :lol: :lol: you wont need the pop up foam .. but it would be one very large rosoogola :evil: :evil: :evil:[/quote]

Ali, PLEASE! I have to see this. And so does that little croc. I am sure you will catch something.

hahahahahaahahahahahaahah But remember ease him into the water. Throw him and the lake will come out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:55 pm 
Fishaholic

angler_ali wrote:
Thanks Hawkeye and Bops,

Regards,

Ali.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:10 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey Guys,

A lot of fishermen here in Bongland use a jhuppy ( bunch of 4 hooks to 8 hooks ) to catch the catla.. There is a reason for this, but i won't discuss it here..

As for me, I use a two hook set up very much to the one that Riaz uses at Machinbele..

Have learnt from many good anglers, that itf you want to catch the catla, you need to solely target that fish. Your groundbait, bait and hooks need to change from that which you use for catching the other carps..

The groundbait needs to be Sweet- scented, oily as well as have an alcohol content in it..
The sweet and the oil in the groundbait attracts the fish. The Alcohol gets it intoxicated, making the fish more ready to take any bait that lies near it.
However, if the fish are not used to alcohol, suggest you introduce it at small levels.
One important factor in the groundbait is to use a lot of edible foods like rice, mustard oil-cake, cake cuttings. Once they get used to a regular supply of food, the fear and wariness in them decreases..

The bait needs to be bright and big.. Contrary to belief that the catla hits the bait with its tail, it actually sucks the bait and releases it.. For those that do float fishing, you will notice that when a catla is biting, you will find the float rise above the water and then dip back and so on..

Hooks need to be big as well.. A decent size catla, say in the range of 5kgs+ has a mouth that is big enough for both your fists to go in..

Ali - 99.9% of the catlas that I have caught, have had one or both hooks in the mouth.. Those that have fished with me at the Fort have seen it first hand ( Jude, Peter and Terence D'Costa )..
Give me a buzz sometime and will try and help you catch those catlas in Powai...

Bops - we are currently trying to catch the Catla on the boilie.. Have had success to a great extent with rohus.. Hoping to get a catla, this monsoon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:27 pm 
Fishaholic

I tried a "paste hair rig" which is really ideal for our atta bait and I loved it. It really works.

It look like a small and slightly soft spring that you get from a cheap ball pen fixed to the hair. Needless to say the atta really clings well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:34 pm 
Fishaholic

You want to catch catla come to the palace lake and we shall show you how. 8) :shock: :oops: :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:19 am 
Fishaholic

dont ask bobby about how much the catla weigh though!!
lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:18 am 
Fishaholic

catla caught on 2 hook setup ,bait can sweetcorn and bread squeezed to a thick paste dip rasgulla residue colored with saffron yellow ,groun bait ghee residue chum fruit s residue from juice stall mixed with cheera
location back waters of tg halli dam ,
regards
riaz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:17 pm 
Fishaholic

Ustaad !! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:40 pm 
Fishaholic

Aap ki dua say
regards riaz :P :P :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:56 pm 
Fishaholic

Sharminda mut kejiye.... :-)

Looks like the catla would be around the 3kg mark :roll: :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:12 pm 
Fishaholic

Guys,
When I am talking about catla, I am talking about a giant some where between 50 to 100 lbs. Here in Powai, my self and Allan are giving it a real try to develop a technique and bait to specifically target Catla and hook it properly. We had some success with a combination of feeder rig and hair rig but some how we lost the fish as in three cases the fish got unhooked after a small run and in other two cases it straitened the hooks and got away. The irony of this method is that if we use small and laser sharp hooks, we are not able to land the fish as the drag created by the weight of feeder ball either unhook it or the hooks get straitened and if we use bigger and sturdy hooks, there is no hookups. What a paradox man. Here I request all the hair rigs masters to come forward and advice us about the setup. We know that we are close to success as I was able to land a 21 lb. Hybrid during this period of experimentation. Not a bad starting, considering it is a half catla.

Not as good a smile as of Bops, but I did try. :wink:

Dreaming about other great ones. :oops:

I am not laughing man, I am grimacing. It is tough to pose with a fish, very angry with you, with an injured and frozen right shoulder. I pray my doctor and wife will not see this picture. :D

Rajat feeling the weight of this one. :!: :?:

Allan setting up his rigs.

Gavin, I will be highly obliged if you can advice us about the bait recipe to put on feeder.

Regards,

Ali

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:34 pm 
Fishaholic

Ali Bhai - PM me your mob # and i will give u a buzz this evening.. Will talk some ..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:44 pm 
Fishaholic

Gavin,

PM on its way.

Thanks and regards,

Ali.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:56 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks Ali.. got the PM.. Will call u this evening

Post subject: Bablu's powai monster
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:15 pm 
Fishaholic

hey buddy the entire report is as usual like a school book lesson I should listen to you more regarding the bait and tactics but any way three cheers to you I still not get it how you manage this monster with the size of a hook you used you are really a champ [smilie=coolup.gif] [smilie=coolup.gif] [smilie=coolup.gif]

Last edited by rajatmukherje on Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:16 pm 
Fishaholic

Just to illustrate the point regarding the size of fishes we target, here in Powai, yesterday my brother Husaini ( Babloo Bhai) and Rajat went to the lake and Babloo hooked a Silver Carp of 50.6lb-(weighed later) and had a blast of a one hour fight with many heart stopping and line breaking moments but ultimately landing the monster. Congratulation Babloo and Rajat.

Regards,

Ali

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:32 pm 
Fishaholic

Wooooooooooooooooooo..... :shock: :shock: :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:15 pm 
Fishaholic

angler_ali

great .......sir

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:54 pm 
Fishaholic

wow man. just what kind of line do you use for that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:28 pm 
Fishaholic

susheel_john wrote:
wow man. just what kind of line do you use for that.

25lb Monofilament from Rapala.

Regards,

Ali..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:17 pm 
Fishaholic

Ali - Details of rig, bait and technique to catch that monster ?? :roll: :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:00 pm 
Fishaholic

I will P.M. The same to you.

Thanks very much for the detail of G.B. and H.B.

Regards,

Ali.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:08 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks Ali... Also PM your address.. Will send you some stuff for them catlas :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:32 pm 
Fishaholic

hey i almost forget to suggest another alternative may be should should use me with some oxygen supply (off course) and i should try and catch that catla for you guys with my hand since no one has caught any yet hooked i mean :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:43 pm 
Fishaholic

Quote:
hey i almost forget to suggest another alternative may be should should use me with some oxygen supply (off course) and i should try and catch that catla for you guys with my hand since no one has caught any yet hooked i mean

RM - They are enough monsters swimming in the depths of Powai.. Wouldn't want another one :lol: :lol: :twisted: :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:57 pm 
Fishaholic

There is an abudance of catla's in pakistan but very rarely caught would apprecaite any info you could share as this is an alien subject to me.

Bait,

RIG, technique, what spots to llok for.

Would love to catch one as i have heard they put up a hell of a fight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:16 pm 
Fishaholic

shaphan wrote:
There is an abudance of catla's in pakistan but very rarely caught would apprecaite any info you could share as this is an alien subject to me.

Bait,

RIG, technique, what spots to llok for.

Would love to catch one as i have heard they put up a hell of a fight.

bro just read the entire article and you would get the plenty of info also you can PM angler Ali and Gavin they are the master in th carp fishing but you would first need to make a specific questioner because the subject is really wast as far as the bait and tactics goes. For the the location and spot the best guides would be the locals who would know about the fish presence in a particular pond or lake
tight lines :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:25 am 
Fishaholic

rajatmukherje,

Thanx for the suggestion. In terms of selection of the spot what I meant was what areas to look out for. Certain fish have certain prefered hang out areas. For Catla what areas shoud one look out for?????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:08 am 
Fishaholic

shaphan wrote:
rajatmukherje,

Certain fish have certain prefered hang out areas. For Catla what areas shoud one look out for?????

Look out for Angler Ali.... the Catla will be there. :D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:49 am 
Fishaholic

Quote:
For Catla what areas shoud one look out for?????

Deeper, quieter waters... Since they are very timid fish, they tend to stay away from the banks.. That's why if you fishing for catlas, your bait must land at least 15-20 yards behind the area of groundbait..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:36 pm 
Fishaholic

shaphan wrote:

In terms of selection of the spot what I meant was what areas to look out for. Certain fish have certain prefered hang out areas. For Catla what areas shoud one look out for?????

Hi Shaphan,
A very valid question indeed. While discussing many aspects of Angling in our Bait Tackle and Tactics section or in other discussions, we cover almost every thing except the most important point of SPOT SELECTION or MAPPING THE SPOT as commonly known in angling term. I too was ignorant about this a few days ago but Allan (Granta), very kindly, gave me a video disk on carp fishing. It was really amazing to learn that mapping the waters for placing your hook bait on the most appropriate spot is such an easy job.

Before covering the topic in detail, let’s understand first where the carp feed. The most preferred spot for carp feeding is an area, of lake or water body, is where the bottom is gravel or some plateau. They also feed near submerged trees and branches. Now the last one is not an idle spot where one would like to fish as in case of a hookup, the fish will snag the line and chances of loosing the fish or injuring it are very high. The best area to look for, when you are not doing ambush fishing, is a nice graveled bottom, somewhere away from the bank.

Now we come to the point of how to find the same. Really easy. Take a medium action rod and one open spool reel with braid on it. Tie a 3 ounce tear shape weight and a buoyant float. Put the float on your line and then tie the weight on the end of your line. Cast the weight as for as you can and then drag the weight on the bottom by lifting the rod up. Place your right palm on the middle of rod and feel the vibration on the rod. If the bottom is silt or mud or sand, the feeling of dragging the weight will be very smooth. The difference between the sand and silt is that, you require a little bit more force for dragging the weight through the silt or mud. For gravel area, you will feel definite rattling sensation on your palm. If you find a gravel area, stop dragging the line and loosen your line, so as the float comes up. (Release one feet line at a time and you will come to know the depth of the spot also). When your float comes up, mark it and you know where the gravel bottom is. Start casting from one end (Say extreme left to extreme right) to the other and mark complete area of the water body you are going to fish. Select the best spot and your chances of catching the fish will increase many fold.

Hope this help you all in your future fishing when you are going to target Carps.

Regards,

Ali..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:38 pm 
Fishaholic

Mk yeah that would be a good idea probably he has some link with them
:D :lol:

Gavin and Ali Thanx for the info mates. Will try my level best to try catch a Catla or two

Cheers [smilie=gt-happyup.gif]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:29 pm 
Fishaholic

All the best amigo...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:42 pm 
Fishaholic

Youtube has some very good Matt Hayes, Terry Hearn and other blokes from France and the UK.

Search for them by name or use 'carp fishing'.

Some of these videos come in parts so start downloading them and pour yourself a drink while you wait.

cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:20 pm 
Fishaholic

My self and Gavin had a lengthy discussion regarding the ground bait and hook bait for Catle and accordingly on last Saturday, I went to Powai, prepared and in high anticipation of catching one of the target monster. I tried his methods for almost 36 hours but without any success. During that period Rajat took some great photographs of the lake which I am sharing with you.

This Saturday, I, Rajat and Allan once again decided to target this catla but with diffrent hook bait. As I have to attend the monthly meeting of our club on Saturday evening, I decided to stay for full night in my machan and Rajat & Allan promised to join me on Sunday morning. The method of fishing, we all agreed upon, was Feeder Rig or a combination of feeder rig and hair rig. During the Saturday night I cauht one mirgal of approximately 6lb and then the fishing stopped. During the night one Mangur decided to taste some of the bait, which indecently was for Catla or some other carp :!: :?: and in the middle of night, I was suddenly awakened by the happy sound of my reel singing. My first reaction was that it is my Catla but after a short fight, where the fish was hell bent to go under my machan or snag one of the pole, and many moments of straining the line up to its breaking point, I landed it. A mangur of 11 lb.
My Mirgal

My Mangur

Rajat, Allan and babloo joined me in the morning and we caught many undersized Mirgals. After some time Allan caught on good size mirgal (Almost 5 lbs) but was not able to land it as he had no landing net. As Rajat was trying his bomb size feeder rig, we all were sure that he will not catch any thing but lo and behold, while Allan was taking a photograph of a proud Darter, suddenly Rajats line also started ripping off the reel and after a short fight, where the boat was almost capsized :P :lol: , he also landed one good 6 lbs Mirgal.

Rajat with his Mirgal

The proud Darter

Allan setting up his Rod in Anticipation

All in all it was a nice day of fishing but still no CATLA. But rest assure that we will not give up unless we land our monster.

Regards

Ali. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:29 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Ali Bhai,

Nice report and nice catch. Thanks for sharing.

Hi Rajat,

The first two pics are awesome.

Cheers,
Apoo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:34 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks Apoo,
When do you plan to visit Mumbai. If you plan someting, i would love to fish with you for a day or two.

Regards,

Ali..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:50 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi AA,

Catlas are not "jaldi khao" fish.. you need to keep baiting the area and only will you then get the results..

Patience is a virtue.... :lol: :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:58 pm 
Fishaholic

A little off topic, but one can easily make a paste hair rig, and the atta does stick well. A good variation more adapted to our style of fishing.

AND congratulations to you all for the wonderful catch. I am sure you will get a Catla soon.

Last edited by samsondhi on Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:24 pm 
Fishaholic

Powai & you guys ROCK....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:13 pm 
Fishaholic

Beautiful Pictures Rajat, my man. It is a real pretty place and you seem to have captured it's best side.

Ali Bhai!

You prove that the journey is sometimes better than the destination. (Dam I sound like a fortune cookie) But don't worry sir the catla will come. Soon!

Also I don't think that is a Darter (Ahingas have longer necks) that is more like a Cormorant, can't make out if it is the Lesser or Greater one as the colours and size are impossible to tell.

Cheers people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:36 pm 
Site Admin

Nice report, Ali :-)

Yup that's a thieving cormorant all right.

Bops

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:49 pm 
Fishaholic

Ali's quote All in all it was a nice day of fishing but still no CATLA. But rest assure that we will not give up unless we land our monster."

you bet brother ,thanks a ton for posting the pics and report partner as usual your are so good with words

Thanks for the words ken
cheers :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:00 am 
Fishaholic

Beautifuil Pic's :D .....especially the 1st One.....
:D

& Good Catches too...too bad No catla....No Worries Buddy...u r gonna get them the next time... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:00 am 
Fishaholic

apoo wrote:
Hi Ali Bhai,

Nice report and nice catch. Thanks for sharing.

Hi Rajat,

The first two pics are awesome.

Cheers,
Apoo

thanks a ton apoo try and make a visit to mumbai bro as Ali says we would love to have you around for some fishing :lol: :lol: