->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:08 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Ground bait Mix
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 1:13 pm 

Hi Gents
i have just joint the forum and currently staying in New Zealand
im wondering what type of ground bait do you use in India? eg Ingredents and additives that you mix up to chum your fish to taking your Bait

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:21 am 

hello no response? can some one help please. looking for diffrent methods of ground bait to use here in new zealand!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 12:11 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Z - The feeding styles of the fish here could be different than those in NZL.. What kind of fish are you targetting ?? Also send me a your mail ID and I will forward you some articles on carp fishing...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 1:03 pm 

im quite experanced in carp fishing. i fish lots of diffrent method i ledger fish mostly using diffrent thpe of feeders, eg method feeder cage fedders maggot feeders! i also use lots of diffrent partical baits to. i usually fish rivers and some time the od lake here or there. i always target carp! trhe NZ record is 24.5lbs i just last week caugh the 3rd biggest carp recorded this side 17.5lbs! it koi carp that we catch here in newzealand. this weekend coming will be doing a compertion. so do you have any tips for me with new baits i can try. i usually use sweet corn,maize, chick peas, bread, and boilles. maggots, worms. so what do you use for carp that side?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 2:08 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey Zimbo,

As you can see the carp fishermen are secretive chaps :lol: Ingrideients that go into their bait are often closely guarded secrets, rightly so, as most of them catch big fish in water where one wouldn't even catch a chilwa.

Mighty Marlin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 2:27 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey Zimbo,

Search through the site and you'll find a lot of recipes. I am sure I have read many. I think the only problem you'll face is figuring out the English names of the ingredients and where to buy them. For example it took me a long time to figure out where I could get the residue of rape/mustard seeds once the oil had been squeezed out.
Other popular ingredients are - vanilla, bajara seeds, hemp seeds, sweet rusk soaked in rum, mustard oil, dried rice, wheat bran, etc. The trick is to get the fish used to any of these mixes first and that takes time.

cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 7:09 am 

i know how it with fisherman we usually dont want to shair our secret baits with others! i will go through the forum and have a look at what i can find. thanks guys for all the help! :P

Post subject: Ground bait or Berley.
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 6:30 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Zimbo, most tackle shops carry ready to use berley at about $5 per pkt but the quantity won't fill the fishes grinder! So go to your local farm produce shop and buy a bulk bag of chook pellets and while you are there get some oil cake[normally called cattle food.Put half a bucket of chicken pellets in a 20 litre plastic container[old paint bucket] and add about 1/4 bucket of water and leave overnight and you will find that this will swell to twice it's volume as the pellets soften. Don't put too much water otherwise you will get a soupy mix. Add some Tuna oil, say about 1/2 a cup full and knead in about a kg of atta[wheat flour],enough to make the whole mix into a heavy, doughy consistency. There you have it! Make up some tennis ball or golf ball size balls and throw into the area of the lake you are fishing at regular intervals, with the original or start of the day amount being a good, generous supply. Don't forget to concentrate in and around your fishing spot.If you are fishing running water then throw in closer to the bank and cast in downstream. Maybe your balls of berley can be squeezed around a small stone or pebble so they will readily sink and take the berley down. The oil cake can be prepared in similar recipe except use warm water to soak overnight.By the way, you can add left over food scraps to your berley as well. Stuff like stale Cooked rice, etc.
Happy fishing Zimbo!
Glenn.
PS.
Why are you targetting carp when the best trout fishing can be had in NZ? Or snapper off the beaches?

Post subject: Carp Bait.
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 12:24 pm 
Fishaholic

Try mixing a spoonful of Peanut paste and cheese spread in your dough baits. Also honey is good.Don't put too much otherwise the bait will get too soft and the fish will be laughing. A tiny pinch of asafoetida[perangaium] will also serve as an attractant. But watch your hands as it is difficult to get rid of the odour and scented baits may be considered illegal in NZ, especially in a fishing comp. Anniseed oil also comes to mind.Just a drop or two is required.
Cheers and happy fishing hours in beautiful NZ.
glenn.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 8:06 am 

thanks for the info Glenn! while give the mix a go on my next outing