->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:30 am

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:54 pm 
Enlightened

HI GUYS,

CAN ANYONE EXPLAIN THE EFFECT OF RISING AND
WANING OF MOON ON FISH ACTIVITY IN THE WATER? DOES

IT LEAD TO HIGHER ACTIVITY OR ABSOLUTLY NO ACTIVITY

IN THE WATER?

HARRYXS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:10 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi There,

The Moon affects fishing because it directly effects the tides.

During the full-moon and No-Moon the tides rises to its highest i.e. spring tide or Oodan or Udan, and covers more surface that on the neap or bhang tide. Fishing tends to slack a bit during the neap tide. Generally the higher the tide goes the better the fishing that month.

What happens as this tide rises is that if fill up ponds etc where smaller creatures can live in relative peace for a while until the next high tide. Besides this currents are higher during a high tide and this in turn, turns up stones and stirs up the bottom, releasing crustaceans and other invertebrates from the substrate. Small fish come in to feed on these smaller creatures and larger fish know where to find these smaller fish. In short it starts a chain reaction.

This is how the moon affects fishing.

And yes the moon does affect some anglers too…

Hope this was helpful

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:51 pm 
Fishaholic

Harry please use small caps its really hard to read in all large caps....

Nice explanation bobby.. does moon affect freahwater fishing also?

-Inder

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:29 am 
Enlightened

For all the non believers in the Lunar calender ...

* best way to plan when to catch the mahseer migration is not the met reports or the fancy satellite pictures which we gaze through August and September waiting for the monsoon clouds to start moving off the lower himalayas towards Bihar ...

check the Lunar calender and be on the river starting Dashera and finishing off by Diwali. Thats when the clunkers are moving downriver. Thats when the clouds move on and chances for catching the migration is maximum.

* be on the river during moon phase reaching to full and waning from full. Thats when the actions is FULL ON.

* for those guys who dont fish at night, record catches have been had at night time. Prime time is 8.30 pm when the fish come to feed on the chilwas+aslas gorging on the flies on the riverside. With a full moon over you, the light is just perfect with the beach lit up and river at its best.

Many skeptics now agree ... it works for all fish - salt or freshwater.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:40 am 
Fishaholic

kanwar76 wrote:
Harry please use small caps its really hard to read in all large caps....

Nice explanation bobby.. does moon affect freahwater fishing also?

-Inder

Hi Kawar,

I am not much of a Fresh Water angler so it is best that someone with experience in that medium lets you know.

I have fished river mouths and yes there is a noteable difference, so I am quite sure that fresh water fishing should be affected...but like I said I do not have the experience there to coment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:39 am 
Fishaholic

Bobby wrote:
During the full-moon and No-Moon the tides rises to its highest i.e. spring tide or Oodan or Udan, and covers more surface that on the neap or bhang tide. Fishing tends to slack a bit during the neap tide. Generally the higher the tide goes the better the fishing that month.

Hi Bobby,

A local fisherman whose boat we hire for trolling always advice us to come on Bhang as based on his knowledge of the location, he feels that the bait fish stay near to the rocks due to less difference in tide level. On last two trips to this location which included two trolling & 5 shore fishing sessions(both on full moon - one on holi night) we hooked just three fish (one barra and 2 MJ).

On one of trips to a different place close to Ratnagiri, I hooked 4 Barras in less than a hours time.. this was a day before full moon and the strikes came as soon as the tide turned.

Could this be possible that every place has its own uniqueness of fish movement?

Santosh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:38 am 
Fishaholic

My best days of fishing -- a high tide of around 2.8 to 3.5 metres around 9/10 am or pm leading up to the full/ new moon .. I dont like fishing to highest tides as s0omehow i feel the water moves tooo fast at 2 days before / after the full/ new moon ..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:51 am 
Fishaholic

I definatly agree about the big tides stirring up a lot of food and drawing in fish that might otherwise either not be feeding or be out of range.
There's also the question of ambient light levels. Sight hunting predators can easily hunt at night when there's a moon in the sky and for some species, this is a good time to target them. Conversly, if there's no moon, there might be more activity in the daytime.
at the end of the day though, there are no hard and fast rules and I've had plenty of barra in total darkness with no moon in the sky at all, so fish when you can and don't let some archane formular dictate when you go.

If you look around the net, there are lots of sites talking about moon phase, air pressure, temperature gradients and the like, all proffess to hold the secret of a guarenteed feeding frenzy and almost all of them are trying to sell something rather than giving up the information freely. That should tell you something. It's being sold to catch anglers rather than fish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:30 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Guys,

Santosh, Fred and Ken very valid points and I must agree.

Just recently caught a load of fish on the neap tide, was wondering what it would be like on the Spring just before the full moon.

Like Fred, I like to fish before the Full moon and I have had some real fantastic fishing during this period. However like Ken said the No Moon can also be very productive. I know guys who like to fish the No Moon better than the full. I guess it all boils down to a matter of personal preference and what one has experienced over a period of time.

I for one preffer the Full Moon nights as I feel a lot more comfortable casting with some light that in total darkness that I have never come to grips with. It takes me a good half hour to cast properly in total darkness and I am never perfect. The other thing is the moon light will assist fish seeing the lure night as well.

I have also had some fantastic experiences neap tide times too, but if I compare fishing over the years, the quality of fish (size) of fish that I have taken in the Spring tide is far superior to what I have taken in the Neap tide. Also the fish during the Spring tide are more active for some reason and fight harder.

Don't know if you all have had the same experiences but perhaps if you think back it may throw some light on the subject.

Santosh the boatmen prefer trolling in Bhang because the water moves slowly and they have more time to troll a beat than on the spring tide where they have to adjust quickly to the water depths on a rising and more so on the falling tide where you will notice how cautious they are.

Bobby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:57 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey bobby was it a deep sea fishing or off the rocks???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:39 pm 
Fishaholic

Bagi Ganga,

All that lunar stuff apart. Just call me over to fish when all the stars are aligned right and Ill be your slave for lfe.

Cheers,

Jeen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:09 pm 
Fishaholic

jeen wrote:
Bagi Ganga,

All that lunar stuff apart. Just call me over to fish when all the stars are aligned right and Ill be your slave for lfe.

Cheers,

Jeen

Nice One...cannot disagree.

Tathagata, trolling inshore close to the rocks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:01 pm 
Enlightened

Thanks for the various theories, but what i have noticed is that on various "days" , there is practically no activity of the fish .I am talking of big reservoirs and rivers like Bhakhra , Pong and the River Beas.There is no tide effect there. On some days, its almost dead, and if you visit the same spot after some time.....the fish of varios sizes is frolicking like crazy.
So that was my question- if the lunar cycle effects the general activity of fish in rivers or large lakes like Bhakhra?

harryxs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:49 pm 
Fishaholic

Something that may sound strange but there is some truth thats when you land at the fishing spot the conditions are ideal ,the tide the colour height of water everything just too perfect but BUT NO FISH......there has probably been a earthquake somewhere.This has been my observation over the years and i guess earthquakes happening in the sea or land does effect the marine life in it.Well if a quake in bay of bengal generated a wave that went all the way up to Somalia thats the power of the sea. :roll: