->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:13 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:02 pm 

For some of the members on here were new to angling on freshwater. Hope some of you find it useful.
This is not my work. Whoever wrote it, may God bless his soul.

===============

Many people believe you can only fish a river using a fly rod. However, a spinning rod can be just as effective, particularly for those anglers not familiar with the essentials of fly fishing.

Fish are often found in pools. Look for these on the downstream side of rocks or along the water’s edge. Other good locations for finding fish are around or under submerged trees, brush, or artificial structures like pylons. Look for them too around juts of land, such as where the river bends. Visually locating the fish is easiest when wearing polarized sunglasses.

The feeding habits of fish are affected by many factors, including the weather, temperature and time of day. Generally, fish will congregate where the water is cooler, and feed less during the hotter hours of the day. Therefore, early morning or evening times tend to be best for catching fish, or in deeper waters during the mid-afternoon.

Because insects are most active around sunset, fish that were running deep during the day may rise to the surface to feed on the insects. In areas where there is very little insect activity, the fish may feed more consistently off the bottom. Always direct your bait or lure to the same depth as the fish.

The color and clarity of the river water’s color will affect a fish’s vision. If a river is muddy or contains a lot of silt, a brighter lure may be easier for fish to see. When the water is clear, use lures with less dramatic colors to avoid scaring the fish.

When choosing your bait or lure, try to match it as closely to the natural baits available to the fish. For example, if the river contains minnows, try using a lure that mimics the look and action of a minnow.

Smell is another sense that fish will use to determine if bait is acceptable. Avoid using artificial scents that may transfer to the lure or bait such as sunscreen, cologne or human food scents.

Before casting, check the drag on your fishing reel. To do this, take hold of the line and strip it from the reel. It should come off the spool with some effort, but not too much. If it comes off too easily, the fish may strip the spool and you’ll run out of line. If the drag is too tight, the fish may break the line.

Cast your bait or lure according to where you believe the fish are, experimenting with depth and placement until you find the right combination.

When preparing to cast, stand in a location that gives you enough clearance from nearby trees or bushes. Cast in an area that will allow your lure or bait to pass over or settle in a location that may contain fish. If you’re using a lure, while reeling in, occasionally pause or lightly jerk the rod tip to mimic the action of wounded prey. With worms or other live bait, reel in more slowly.

When the fish takes your lure or bait, quickly jerk up on the rod to set the hook. Do not lower the rod without first reeling in any slack. The key is to keep the line taut so that the pressure on the hooked fish remains constant. Reel in, but if the fish takes the line, stop reeling. If the fish jumps out of the water, reel in quickly to take in the slack that will occur when it drops back into the water. Adjust the drag if necessary, but only make small corrections. With practice, you should be able to initially set the drag before hooking a fish, and not have to adjust it even after setting the hook.

Reel in your fish, then enjoy * the river with your spinning rod.

* Originally "conquering the river ... " - see mysticmaral's comment below.

Last edited by Nikhil on Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:07 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:48 am 
Fishaholic

Very Useful Tips for Beginners….Thanks for sharing Buddy :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:11 am 
Fishaholic

Generally good advice, tainted, however, by the last line. I don't care who you are, you never conquer the river. Ever. If in doubt, see "Deliverance".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:53 am 

mysticmaral wrote:
Generally good advice, tainted, however, by the last line. I don't care who you are, you never conquer the river. Ever. If in doubt, see "Deliverance".

:lol: :lol: :lol: ... line edited.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:43 pm 
Fishaholic

Very Useful Tips

thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:38 am 
Fishaholic

"The color and clarity of the river water’s color will affect a fish’s vision. If a river is muddy or contains a lot of silt, a brighter lure may be easier for fish to see. When the water is clear, use lures with less dramatic colors to avoid scaring the fish."

Great information! Just need to start a debate on this one. I think in muddy it is better to have a loud, noisy and big lure with a wee bit of flash. And in clear water use a small lure with a bit of shocking colour. This keeping in mind the fact that you have to match the lure to the naturally available bait.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:27 am 
Fishaholic

Mahaseerken wrote:
I think in muddy it is better to have a loud, noisy and big lure with a wee bit of flash. And in clear water use a small lure with a bit of shocking colour. This keeping in mind the fact that you have to match the lure to the naturally available bait.

A popular myth. I have fished with success in many parts of the world with lures that have not the slightest resemblance to native bait. In the murrel section witness my lure (Maral Nano) with which I have caught more fish than with any other. It bears no likeness to anything in the Indian river/lake. The closest critter to it lives in Lake Malawi, some 5k miles distant. Reflexive, intuitive strikes are often the norm. In muddy water use darker colours. As any serious bass fisherman will attest, the best colour at night is black. Clear vision is not the only criteria.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:26 am 
Fishaholic

I guess with fishing what works for you is always right and the norm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:45 am 
Fishaholic

There is no right. There are no norms. There are only opinions. Some are educated opinions. Some are wannabe opinions. Recognizing the difference is what matters.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:21 pm 

There are also some lucky blokes out there who tend to catch fish no matter what. Call it what you want but this is just the way it is. Just thought that this needs to mentioned here as well :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:41 pm 

Ken,
Sanjay's 3 kg Mahseer at bhakra was taken on a bright orange and white Halco plug , in daylight-while ALL the other hookups were on the more 'natural' looking plugs.I got a dozen plugs in natural silvers and greens after the Bhakra trip...
While endorsing the 'go for the natural look', I would add a caveat-expect a strike on the most outrageous one ;)
I had a lil help from my daughter in making a brass spoon, with one side painted fluro orange from a spray can -her effort-to which we stuck some WHITE reflective tape in a Z pattern-just right for a night atvthe disco :)
damn if a biggish murral didnt latch onto it!! Now murral on a spoon? news to me!
Reflexive, intuitive ? possibly. The combination of these two plus the foraging for food habit, would IMO, account for the aggressive strikes. Lets see inputs from others?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:21 pm 
Fishaholic

Oiiie Nikhil !

Didnt know you were on this forum ! Hows dad & mum doing ?

Regs to all at home.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:26 pm 

Keyur wrote:
Oiiie Nikhil !

Didnt know you were on this forum ! Hows dad & mum doing ?

Regs to all at home.

All good cuzz ... thanks for asking. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:46 pm 
Fishaholic

A useful read as a refresher manual to all those who fish. good selection