->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Sun May 28, 2017 2:39 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:06 pm 
Fishaholic

Aznir,

I never did understand this fetish for piercing (cue Gavin), so I think I will give it a miss. Cut myself often enough without doing it deliberately. :wink:

Jokes aside, I will give it a try.

Thanks.

Rustam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:27 am 
Fishaholic

Hey JB am with you mate..

Totally agree on the "poking" bit mate... Just be careful that it doesn't get stuck, mate :twisted: ... Bloody painful !!! and then there's blood :twisted:

Rusty - give it a try.... U live once :lol: :lol: :lol: and wat's with a little poke, now and then ?? :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:36 pm 
Fishaholic

Well speaking of hooks breaking - Last month I lost two fish - Rohu i guess (1kg+) to broken hooks, i guess that was my fault as those hooks were old(13 years) rust cleaned and cheap. Havent gone out since but when i do i will ensure that fresh or at least recent hooks are used.

I use a small oilstone (The type that comes with some hunting knives) to sharpen the hooks i use and i do feel that they are more humane and also ensure a sure catch if the bait is taken.

A bit of advice on the poking bit :-), take a tetanus shot at least once in 6 months - you never know what kind of germs are there on those used hooks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:33 pm 
Fishaholic

I dont sharpen hooks, just thrash them.

Talking about hooks....I caught a barracuda @ 2 weeks back & the barracuda caught me..... :roll:

Yup....crazy story :lol:

Was fishing with 2 friends at Dubai marina (chua if you read this, you missed an entertaining day...one of the guys was Kit).

I usually catch a little fellow to break the fishing jinx & then release the little bugger before I can go after the bigger guys........u can call it superstitious, I say ......I didnt have to leave without a hook up :lol:

While fishing for the little buggers, Kit set up a line with live bait (ballyhoo). & was also spinning. He came running saying that he got hit by a 4ft kingfish......... like any NORMAL angler would say......thats a whole lot of crap. I said forget it & continued fishing. A little while later he said that he got a hit on the live bait & the line broke......now that got me a little interested. I then hooked up another live ballyhoo & cast him with a float....that guy kept on swimming in circles (one good turn deserves another)

A little while later kit got a hit on his popper & the other line snapped. Now I was jumping.......I kept the baitcaster down (yup......I cast the live bait on the bait caster & not on the bait runner...call me crazy) & used a popper on the spinning rod......on the very first cast, I had a kingfish @ 2.5 ft follow the popper right to the rocks & then turn back....... very frustrating. tried a zillion times after that, but didnt see anything more.
Retreived the live bait & cast him out again.....only to find that the fellow got ripped off the hook & go flying into the water to be hit by a barracuda.

Ok so now it was barracuda time. Switched to a yo-zuri lure - mid water level & cast. Got a hit & reeled the fellow in......not big ...just @ 3 feet, but was nice to get him on light tackle.

When I pulled him up the rod bent quite a bit, so I grabbed the braid to hoist it. when it jumped, the braid sliced through my finger & I let go. That smart bugger made a grab for the only hanging thing. I happened to see if & managed to turn. As he fell the 2nd set of trebles entered my left thigh & as he jumped, it got ripped out & was stuck in my pants.
It was quite a sight where I was screaming AAAAAAAAaaaaaagggggggghhhhhhhhhh! & this fellow was hangin from my thigh with his mouth wide open & @ 1inch from my_________. A really frightful position to be in :oops:

My friends was howling with laughter as it must have been a very funny sight.....me with my legs apart & a barracudda hanging with its mouth open barely............_________

Had one of my pals grab the fello while I cut my pants to get the trebles out. Only after I pulled my pants down to gauge the damage the hooks caused, I noticed that the evil bugger bit me on the other thigh barely 1" from my...........

Was some experience....fishing accidents. Heres one to pass down to the next generation.

When I do think about what it must have seemed to others watching me, I find it really funny. Funny to look at, but not to be in the position.
Amen!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:34 pm 
Fishaholic

You are lucky Keyur. The way things went there would have been no next generation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:29 pm 
Fishaholic

lucky chap. havent heard this kind of a story before :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:17 am 
Enlightened

seems, we need to get a piece of cricketer's protective gear for our fishing kits ;-)