->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:25 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Fishing in Winters
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:57 am 
Fishaholic

In Pakistan fishing takes a nose dive as the temperatures drop. Fishing is hard work as the fish go on a hunger strike. :cry:

You have to look for opportunties towards the south ( which is a lot of traveling). The only species on offer in abundance is Common Carp ( Gulfam/Chinese Carp) as the darn fish eats all year around and spawns 2 to 3 times a year. :evil:

Whats the situation in the indian waters. Do u manage to catch any masheer, Rahu, sol ( Murrel) when the water becomes colder. Or are they any tactics that can be used to entice the sluggish fish :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:25 am 
Fishaholic

Fishing in N India practically comes to a halt in the lakes.There is neither any activity of the fish.I observed and found fish to sit endlessly in the same spot for days without practically moving at all. This they do in sheltered places like weed beds and since there is no movement - they really do not require much food and then "Kai" is all around to nibble at.
There is a chance of a strike at about 3-4 PM when the surface water has warmed but that too is a 10 % chance. You can get to the fish by spinning deep.
The scene in the rivers is different.Since the fish have to move in running water and need energy, their activity / acceptance of bait / lures dies down by only about 40% . The water volume in the rivers also recedes and thus less water means greater density of fish . This appears to be the one big advantage.
Fish activity starts generally around 1st Mar .We do fish in winters but thats more of "Basking" than fishing. Have tried where hot water springs enter the river but have not had much luck.It has to be a big volume of warmer water .
Tight Lines
Hamdhingra

Last edited by Hamdhingra on Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:09 pm 
Fishaholic

Down here in the Kaveri, the fishing starts at the end of November, gets better in December and is at its best from Jan to March.
It never gets too cold here, and i have had some of my best fishing in the middle of December. The water tempreature matters, but the water level is more important, as is the small matter of whether the fish are in the area or elsewhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:10 pm 

hey ham did u try that cannal near nangal called charn ganga?? wil it have atleast the eel end another local fish?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:54 pm 
Fishaholic

Have tried it a couple of years ago for Sol.Definitely there will be Catfish in that but I feel it will be small ones. Mangur - the african catfish is likely to be there too. I vividly remember that day for there was some good "music to the ears" of black partridges calling.
Tight Lines...Hamdhingra

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:55 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Guys,

There are parts I agree with, and parts i don't!

I've noticed that fish and animals are the perfect expamle of the law of conservation of energy- will grabbing that lure/bait make me burn more energy than I will gain? Fish do tend to reduce their intake of food in cold weather, but that does not mean they don't eat all together (people go ice fishing afterall!!! :shock: ).

Couple of things about the winter:
1) Spin/troll as deep as you can- water temperatures are more stable and don't fluctuate as much.
2) Evenings are more productive than the mornings: (Remember the lesson on land and sea breeze?) Water is warmer in the evening than in the morning, hnce more active fish!
3) Rivers and lakes are the same in terms of bite frequency provided you can hide you line/terminal tackle... water in lakes in the northern part of the subcontinent is crystal clear due to the drop in plankton life. Fish have eyes too and while they might be colour blind, they surely are not blind- lures will stick out like sore thumbs in still waters- visibility drops in trubulance... in still watres use bait rather than lures.
4) If spinning, retrive slowly- slower than normal that is: do you feel like getting out of bed when its too cold? well neither do the fish- their idea: min. kharcha, max. faida!

these are just a few things i've observed. Conditions do differe from location.

Cheers,
IG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:45 pm 
Site Admin

In a larger body of water like a large lake or reservoir, thermoclines play a big part in where fish can be found. A good fishfinder/sonar is essential in locating schools of baitfish and thermoclines.

IA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:28 pm 
Fishaholic

IndianAngler wrote:
A good fishfinder/sonar is essential in locating schools of baitfish and thermoclines.

IA

Aaahhhh! Life in the 21st century! Whatever happened to sitting quietly by the water, having a smoke and for a change listening to momma nature has to say!!! :D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:37 pm 
Site Admin

IG, that works very well for Tilapia :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:29 pm 
Fishaholic

Good discussion. I think fish from the colder regions, specially the trout are not affected much and can be caught in winters. I have been catching trout and sometimes snow carps even when the water was half frozen. Ice fishing for Arctic Char and some other species is quite common in northern Europe. But areas where summers are hot and winters are reasonably cold (like northern Punjab), fish drop their apetite drastically and one really needs to be lucky to catch one. Another aspect could be the breeding season due to which the apitite does not drop much despite low temperatures. Gulfam (common carp) and trouts breed from Nov-Jan. Well gulfam also breeds in other seasons.

But over all, its a hard work :( Shaphan, the only sure remedy seems to be spending winters in a warm place like Karachi :D

Last edited by Sualeh on Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:36 pm 
Fishaholic

Sualeh wrote:
the only sure remedy seems to be spending winters in a warm place

Long ago, back in school, I came across a poem by Robert Frost: The Road not taken....

I feel the same holds true today for most people (including anglers) fail to hear what mother nature has to say. Yes, she is saying that its bloody cold and one should stay in bed with a cup of chai and a good book, but she also gives a lot of clues as to where the fish are parked.

Over time, I've come across many an angler who would rather sit in a nice shaded spot under a tree and try their luck all day without getting a bite, while there are those who spend their tackle up time 'reading' the waters.

Fish like all amphibians & reptiles are cold blooded creatures. In cold weather they become sluggish... their anatomy does not allow them to hibernate or they would have. They will not chase prey, therefore rnadomly flogging the waters with plugs and spinners is not really productive. Once you know where they are camped, try a very slow retrive, passing the lure right under the guys' nose. He will bite. Can't say no to a free meal now can we...

Carp is a bait fish and trots around the bottom looking for hand outs... bait fishing is more effective in the winters then spinning... try it for mulley/singhara/mahseer... it will work... the only catch with mahseer is that the waters need to be heavily baited as the mahseer will not readily grab anything it has not tried before.

Wait for a nice sunny december day and rather than freeze your behind off at six in the morning, try to do it over lunch... then lets compare notes...

Cheers,
IG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:37 am 
Fishaholic

I dont usually fish in the lowlands during winter but I have tried it a few times with zero results. I have seen people catch the occasional common carp but thats about it.

Cold water fish though bite very readily in winter, but we usually give the trout a rest. The traditional time to catch big snow carp though is in winter, the preferred bait being a dried mulberry.

Catfish do bite in winter, they dont seem to get as sluggish as mahseer. As IG explained though they dont often take lures during this period but bait works.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:14 am 
Fishaholic

In my quest to understand fish better and to check on my angling skills -I have been fishing winters. Let me explain my experiences
I found mahseer do take but will bite in a shy manner / not as agressively as they generally do - on this particular day I got 3 strikes but no hook up.
Then at the other spot - I caught one mahseer every time in the months of Nov Dec and Jan and Feb also.This was necessitated by either a person coming from abroad or once a friend saying lets see U catch a mahseer in winters.But 1 strike and hookup only in the whole day and U can see them going shy.They were all good size fish -smallest 13.5 Kgs and the biggest 18.5 kgs(photo earlier posted in muscular structure of Mahseer)
Besides this I have not had much of other luck - in fact no other luck
Tight Lines
Hamdhingra

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:09 pm 
Fishaholic

Hamdhingra wrote:
I found mahseer do take but will bite in a shy manner / not as agressively as they generally do - on this particular day I got 3 strikes but no hook up.
Then at the other spot - I caught one mahseer every time in the months of Nov Dec and Jan and Feb also.This was necessitated by either a person coming from abroad or once a friend saying lets see U catch a mahseer in winters.

shy= lethargic... if one bites the others will too... the only thing is that the tactics need to be changed... slow the retrive like i've been saying... I'm in himachal as i write and i've caught my quota for the day!!! try the tinsel trick...

Cheers,
IG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:29 am 
Fishaholic

Thanks for the tip IG - I for one am an angler who rarely reels in slow - I generally convey to the fish -"Grab me or I am gone".
I know people who catch fish and always reel in slow and I know it to be productive.
Enjoy your trip
Hamdhingra