->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:55 am

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:06 pm 
Fishaholic

anyone fished for sea bass or mullet before? any advice for a first timer? think iam going to keep to spinning. information about the depth at which these fish feed or any other info i could use would be great.

regards.
v.singh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:19 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey search for Barramundi (Sea bass) in the forum.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:42 pm 
Fishaholic

If you’re still in Edinburgh, you’re a bit far north for regular bass action and the mullet will be heading offshore for the winter pretty soon as well.
Your main target in the winter months will probably be bait fishing for flounder and (if there are any left) cod in saltwater or pike on either lures or baits in the fresh.

If you do have access to reasonable bass fishing next summer, you have choice of bait or lures and I suspect that you’ll go with lures. There’s plenty of information out on the web about lure tactics for bass with smallish poppers being very popular. Personally, I tend to prefer fishing sub surface and take everything I know about barramundi and simply scale it down a bit.
Although most UK bass lure anglers only fish in daylight, those barramundi style night time tactics can certainly pay dividends – but make sure you stay safe if you’re beach fishing at night.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:24 am 
Fishaholic

Tathagata wrote:
Hey search for Barramundi (Sea bass) in the forum.....

Tathagata,

I first thought Baramundi and Sea bass were the same. But they are not

Maruthu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:47 am 
Fishaholic

Different places different names, that is why scientific names are usefull (but they are damn confusing and difficult to remember and pronounce).

This is what they call Sea Bass in Hong Kong, perhaps more correct but never the less..different. Looks something like what they call Sea Trout in the US.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:57 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Bobby,
The Baramundi of Australia have a whole lot more colour than the ones that i have seen here. They are both of the same species though right ?
Regards
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:41 pm 
Fishaholic

Indian Barramundi are almost always caught in saltwater where they're bright silver with a yellow tail. Aussie Barramundi are exactly the same from sattwater and if you do a search for "saltwater barramundi", those are the images that you'll see.
The shine fades to grey after death so a lot of the trophy shots that get posted on here tend to be of rather grey and rather stiff fish.

In freshwater, barramundi do well and are frequently found in billabongs and stocked impoundments. Barramundi that have grown up in freshwater tend to be much darker than the saltwater fish. Some of the really big fish from places like lake Tinnerroo are almost black across their backs. These are probably the darker fish that you're refering to Owen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:47 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks for that Ken. Have some pix of Baramundi taken from impoundments. Really beautiful looking fish with copper gold flanks and the rest silver. Thought they were some of the best looking fish i have seen.

Post subject: Mullet tactics.
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:26 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi V. Singh

The Mullets could be caught with a float and a small hook. The depth of hook should be between 12 inches to 18 inches from the surface of water. Thebest bait is sea earh worms. The mullets are very shy and therfore, the Angler must not stand and should seat down , so as to avoid his shaddow on water or being seen by mullets.

In Mumbai, I have seen an interesying method practiced by sme at Marinn Drive (Queen's Necklace). They use a piece of roasted Corn (Bhutta) thrown after eating the corns, as a float. The line is passed through the piece of this Bhutta and three or four small hooks (size 1 or 2 eyed Kirby hooks) tied at a distance of abour 2 feet from float amd baited with worms.

To attract the shoal,they throw brad pices in water so that a big shoal of Mullets comes near. I have seen 2 or three Mullets hooked on single line at a time!

Arun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:37 pm 
Fishaholic

A little mullet specific advice if they're still arround:
http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/Sea-Fishing ... q_one.html

and some bass advice for next summer:
http://www.worldseafishing.com/bassfishing/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:57 pm 
Fishaholic

Ken L wrote:
If you’re still in Edinburgh, you’re a bit far north for regular bass action and the mullet will be heading offshore for the winter pretty soon as well.

iam told that just east of edinburgh, at the cockenzie power station, there are some bass. the power station uses water from the sea to cool off and the waters around the outlets are thus significantly warmer. this attracts some bass. i do think its a far shot. but iam going to have a crack anyway. imitation sand eels with a casting float seems to the the method used by most anglers around the power station.
did go spinning at the musselburgh lagoon. yesterday. no luck.

whats the deal with flounders? do they not feed close to the sea bed?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:14 am 
Fishaholic

v.singh wrote:
iam told that just east of edinburgh, at the cockenzie power station, there are some bass. the power station uses water from the sea to cool off and the waters around the outlets are thus significantly warmer. this attracts some bass.

I too was told a similar story by a guy from New York for catching winter Bass. But however, there are Tog, Cod and Pollacks that come in during winter, but I don't think I can make a cast in winter anyway :(

Maruthu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:52 pm 
Fishaholic

ken L .. the sea bass are still here. went fishing yesterday. had no luck myself but other anglers on the wall caught some decent sized bass. am going to go and try my luck again tomorrow - weather permitting. need to get myself a fish cause iam not planning on breaking eljefe's record of 57 posts and not a single fish!! :lol:

ps: sighted some seals near the rocks. they like the bass too.

regards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:37 pm 
Fishaholic

v.singh wrote:
need to get myself a fish cause iam not planning on breaking eljefe's record of 57 posts and not a single fish!! :lol:
regards

Hey, I think I got a bigger record, but don't remeber the number :cry:

Maruthu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:46 am 
Fishaholic

Vikram.
What you really want is one like this one caught at the weekend http://www.total-fishing.com/News.asp?A ... BCFE718366

If you find a location that produces them like that regularly, just make sure you PM me with a few details :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:50 am 
Fishaholic

Whooooa! Some fish Ken.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:21 pm 
Fishaholic

ken, that fish is the size of the seals i saw. which gives me an idea - might try my hand at seal clubbing :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:14 am 
Fishaholic

Oh. Straight to the contraversial stuff !
I was once in an animal charity shop where they were selling toy white seal pups.
I asked how much they were and was told that they were something like £47.
I was genuinly shocked that they were so expensive but my mistake was to tell the lady that it was a bit steep and Me and my mates would have to club together to buy one.
Went down like a lead ballon...... [smilie=happyspin.gif]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:02 am 
Fishaholic

:D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:17 am 
Fishaholic

hahahahahahaha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:55 pm 
Fishaholic

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:12 am 
Fishaholic

Owen wrote:
Thanks for that Ken. Have some pix of Baramundi taken from impoundments. Really beautiful looking fish with copper gold flanks and the rest silver. Thought they were some of the best looking fish i have seen.

Hi Owen,

Yes ken is spot on. I have caught Barramundi in estuaries at river mouths in India where the fish tend to stay/live in that spot the colour of these barra are notable darker gold/bronze compared to the silvers caught in the surf. Now there are a couple of these places however they are more towards the sea than the river and the water is salty yet the colouration of these fish are dark. To boot the average size of fish in these places are around 40lbs, I have never caught one lesser than 36lbs in that spot.

I have seen only one silver barra taken from that spot caught by a friend of mine, the fish was much smaller at 16lbs and the water was unusually clean that day it was greenish, like something you would find in the surf.

bobby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:12 pm 

"need to get myself a fish cause iam not planning on breaking eljefe's record of 57 posts and not a single fish!!
regards "

Thats only the posts, you dont know the no of trips or ask rustam about the worlds most expensive marral ;)
Enjoy
Axx