->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:09 am

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:30 pm 

Hi i recently purchased an ugly stick 6'0' 2 piece medium action rod with
"6-15 Lb line" written on it.
I have a graphite body ugly spin reel with 6Lb cajun line and another laker 15 lbs line.
What kind of fish can i catch with it? I hope it can handle mahseer upto 20lbs? and which all fresh water fishes it cant handle??
any one with a lill time to spare ??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:20 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Rookie.

Elecome to the forum.

I think you're going to be rather undergunned with that rod !

Using will be fun but do make sure that you remove the barbs from any hooks the you use because you are very likely to loose fish with such lite gear and they are to precious to be left to die with a treble hook stapleing their mouths shut if they break your line.

Post subject: thankx
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:27 pm 

but to upgrade what do i have to do is buying a new rod the only option . i bought this as i heard ugly stick is a good n roubust thing.
How big a fish can i tackle with this thing?

Post subject: Re: thankx
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:31 pm 
Fishaholic

rookie wrote:
How big a fish can i tackle with this thing?

In my view it will be hard to handle a 20 lb mahseer with this stuff but it certainly seems good enough to catch carps, snakeheads and catfish upto 5-7 kg. Again depends what technique you are using and more importantly, how you play the fish when it is hooked. Drag setting is very important when playing a fish with light tackle. Catching big fish with light tackle is always a pleasure, though a bit risky.

Not many anglers catch 5-7 kg fish in routine. By all means it can be termed as a good catch. But if you are planning to go for real big ones only, you need to upgrade the tackle.

Regards

Post subject: got it
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:41 pm 

thanx. but what kind of risk?
does it mean breaking the rod or loosing the spinners/hooks?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:47 pm 
Fishaholic

Yup 8) But it does not happen in routine. Loosing spinners/hooks should not be a big prolem. Breaking a rod is. If you have the drag correctly set on the reel, you wont normally break a rod unless you run short of line on your reel. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:53 pm 

ok thats cool. thanx.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:36 am 
Fishaholic

The Ugly Stick range have a reputation for being tough rods but just because a rod is tough, it doesn't mean that it will give you a lot of control over a big fish. If it's bent double, it's ability to absorb shocks and lunges from a fish will be limited and this is when the fish will break your line. As Sualeh suggests the drag on your reel needs to be set so that it jives line well before the breaking strain of the line is reached in order to further reduce break offs.
Another area where such light rods are limited is the size of lure or bait that they can cast.
As you can see from the site of this American tackle shop, the rod that's rated for 6 - 15ib line is only designed to cast lures upto 5/8oz (17.5g) which is a bit limiting - most of the lures that I would use for mahseer are between two and thre times that size.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... hasJS=true

The rod will be fine for light tackle fishing for smaller mahseer, carps and other species and to be honest, this is just about the best way of learning how to angle and control your tackle that I can think of.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:51 am 
Fishaholic

Hey there Rookie,

I have a couple of Ugly Stiks, their probably the best inexpensive rods around.

With the model you have I once caught a five pound mahseer and it was a hell of a fight, It would be a little to light for a big mahseer especially if you are fishing in a river.

Theirs a UK model Ugly Stik called the Ugly Stik Gold Spin, Get the heaviest model of that, its ideal for mahseer fishing, I also use it to spin for catfish.

As for line, unless you are in the rapids, fifteen pound line is strong enough for anything under thirty pounds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:34 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Ken,
What kind of taper would you look for in a lure casting rod, and the ideal rod length, cast weight and line BS if you were fishing for mahseer?

Similarly the specs for an all round rod to cast lures from the shore ?
Regards
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:04 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Owen. I generally like my lure rods to be short (6 - 8' or 2 - 204m) and stiff with a softer tip - what used to be called a fast taper.

Mahseer are slightly different and super fine lure control and sensitivity arn't really needed and what you want is a parabolic fighting curve at absorb the fishes lunges.
Of course, the way I like to travel means that my rods need to be travel rods which brings it's own complications and compromises but if I was looking for an ideal two piece lure rod for mahseer,
it'd be 8' (2.4m) long with a progressive/parabolic action, rated to cast upto 5oz (150g). It'd also have a relativly short butt behind the reel seat so that it could be easily passed arround my body.
I'd partner it with a 6000 or 8000 size reel and either 30lb fireline or 40lb mono, depending on the environment.
In fact, the place I'd go looking for a rod to fill my needs would be either a scandinavian tackle shop (a pilk rod) or the "surf spinning rods" section of one of the big two US retailers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:48 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks Ken. Usually a fast taper rarely forms a progressive parabolic curve when under load. Would have to be a rather special blank to do that.
I usually prefer a longer butt, but then i tend to be less acrobatic and am usually upto my neck in water. :lol:

On a more serious note, in the stand up position i feel a longer butt puts less strain on the arms and shoulders when fighting a big fish, but itcan be a pain in the neck if you are fishing from a coracle.
Regards
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:57 am 
Fishaholic

Finally, you have a much better chance of getting smaller fish than the BIG one! :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:34 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey OMO ... Bobbee's back under an alais ..is he ????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:56 pm 
Fishaholic

Fred you make me howl :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:17 pm 
Fishaholic

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:06 pm 

Bobbee? back? you mean he never went? ;) :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:37 pm 

rookie,

if you have a rod rated for 'x' lbs/kgs - gives you a good idea of what reel and line to use, period not what fish you can catch .
Also look for what the max 'casting weight' the rod is rated for.
If you use 20lb line and 2 oz casting weight on this rod, something's gotta give-most times, its the rod.
I have caught a small mahseer on an 8 lb rated uglystik with 8lb reel and line, and a 50g tiddler on a mahseer rod rated for 30lb line ! He liked my bait and no 12 hook... :lol:

So, suggest you cast out with the 8 lb spool, use it to get familiarity with the rod and technique.
However, if it is Mahseer that you are specifically targetting, you will need appropriate equipment.Can send a Mig 29 in an anti armour role, can we? will need A-10 warthogs or the 27's :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:30 am 
Fishaholic

:oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:29 pm 
Fishaholic

Even More confused Faaki.... Hey Doc ..... Mig 29 ...anti armour role ... A10 warthogs ... u going hunting ??????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:44 pm 

Fred,
Rookie is an airforce type... :) He's going to the wars, man!