->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:18 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:18 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Guys,

I am looking for a 6' long light/Ultra light spinning rod with line rating from 2-8LB which can handle mepps 0-3 size spinner and what do you guru's think which size reel 1500 or 2500 will balance well on rod with above specifications?

My budget is around $50.

Thanks & happy Diwali in advance.

-Inder

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:10 pm 
Site Admin

Inder, this rod would be best with a 1500 size reel. Once you find the rod, have a look at the Daiwa Theory reel in the following link, it is available in sizes 1500, 2000, 2500, 3500, 4000. It's an excellent buy.

http://www.indianangler.com/viewtopic.php?t=1196

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:44 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks bops, will surely take a look? Any suggestion for rod?

-Inder

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:11 am 
Fishaholic

I fish UL on small stillwaters. I mainly use the kit in the wintertime here in the UK because there's less weed in the water then and weeded fish are a real handfull on UL gear. Great fun but I'd struggle to think of an application where I'd want to fish that light in India. Even trout fishing in small rivers is hard work unless you move up to a light (as opposed to UL) rod that will cast about 20g.

In clear water with no current, it is actually possible to land good fish with UL gear. I well remember hooking a pike of 7lb on my local canal using my four and a half foot UL rod. It was like fighting a bulldog with a knitting needle !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:45 am 
Fishaholic

Hi,
Thats what I call fishing skills, a 7lb fish on a 4 1/2lb line; must have been a good fight. No fun if yanking a 7lb fish on a 14 lb line. no fighting chance for the fish. keep it up,
Michael

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:57 am 
Fishaholic

Basically it all depends on where ur fishing. Agree with Ken.

Some times I use heavier tackle (Line and Rods) because of the enviorment where we fish.

In Pakistan in most Dams and Lakes there is a fare deal of under growth ( Weeds, Trees, Rocks etc) and if ur playing out even a 3-4 kg Fish they are more chances of losing the fish because of the lie breaking due to snagging.

The same case goes for Tarbella and Manlga and the bigger rivers.

Yes if you have a pond which is quite clear then yes the thrill of playing out any size fish on lite tackle is something similar to the adrealine rush you get from a Roller coaster ride :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:32 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your suggestions. Actually I am not a very experienced angler, my fishing outings can be counted on fingers. i was looking somehitng which can be used as a trout tackle in Himalayas as well as for tiddler mahseer at headworks (WASI). I don't know much of a difference between light and ultralight thats why I put bothI tihnk I was looking for a light tackle not a ultra light one. (I may be fully wrong in my thinking here)

Last time I used my shakespere ugly stick 7'foot, shimano symetre 4000 reel loaded with 10lb mono at headworks, didn't felt much of a fight so was thinking of using a light tackle with 6lb or 8lb line and I am planning to shift back to north in near future so was looking for something which can be used for trout in pahari rivers (I read that trout fishing is done on light spinning or fly tackle)

I hope now you understand where I am coming from ... :D

Hey bops thanks for the links, I think shakespere ugly stick SP1156-2L - 5' 6" with 4lb to 8lb rating fit my bill , lets see what other members think..

So guys let them suggestions / comments flow :D

Thanks & happy Diwali

-Inder

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:19 am 
Fishaholic

If its 6-8lb line i would choose the ShakespeAre SP1156-2L, but if you think you might need to scale up and dont want to buy 2 rods, it would be the Classic PSP6602M-2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:40 am 
Fishaholic

How does one judge which is the correct line rating for a particular rod? Most rods provide a "casting weight" rating. For instance an 8 ft rod with Medium action and a casting weight rating of 15-40 gms is best suited for what line strength ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:05 pm 
Fishaholic

Most branded rods specify both line BS and CW in the specs while advertising the rod, however the line BS is usually not printed on the rod.

Knowing the line BS is helpful, as it takes the rod through its full test curve, before one or the other goes bust.

Action can be easily confused with power of the rod.
A quick action rod would have most of the bend in the top 1/3rd, and a slow action rod would more or less bend right through.

I would say a 15 to 40 gm cw rod should be able handle between 6 to 12 lb line easily.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:12 pm 
Fishaholic

Owen wrote:
If its 6-8lb line i would choose the ShakespeAre SP1156-2L, but if you think you might need to scale up and dont want to buy 2 rods, it would be the Classic PSP6602M-2

Hi Owen,

If you see I mentioned ShakespeAre SP1156-2L only. Which rod is PSP6602M-2 I am not able to find in . Thanks for help

-Inder