->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:12 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: RIgs for Rohu & carp
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:58 pm 

Hi freinds,

We have lot of rohu and carp in a lake in Hyderabad and some times we observe them to jump on water.Can some one tell me what rig, hook size and bait to be used. I tried ragi wiht the bait directly hooked to the HOOK but it didn't work.If possible with a picture of the rig.I bought two diawa rod from Bopanna and planning to go in diwali time for a trip in & around Hyderabad lakes.

Thank you

Chandra sekhar A

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:43 pm 
Fishaholic

You are unlikely to get any action on ragi, unless other anglers have been using it. Check what other anglers are using.

Atta or bread paste would is a better bet.

Regarding rigs, go for a simple float setup with the hook tied directly to mono. Use a size 8 to 10 hook, with just enough lead six inches from the hook to make the float stand. Fish around 10 feet from the bank if the water is deep enough.
Getting the bait a few inches off the bottom, or just resting on the bottom is essential for float fishing.

You will know when you have it right, because your float will just begin to stand when you are getting to the right depth setting for your float.

If you have a second rod, you can try ledger fishing further out, with a fixed lead just heavy enough to get your bait out there and keep the bait stationary. Keep the lead 9 inches to a foot from the hook, and try to get your line to sink to the bottom, ensuring that you do not disturb the bait by moving it after casting.

Adjust the drag so that line pays out of the reel when you pull on the line, without having to use too much force.

Again the simplest way is to tie your hook, is straight to the main line from the reel. There are many more complex ways of catching fish, but these two simple methods should catch you a few to start with.

Remember to use dull looking lead, i soak mine in water till it gets to the colour that i think will not spook the fish.

Use light line (8 to 10 lbs or 15lbs). The less conspicous your line, the better will be your chances of getting a bite.

Prepare some ground bait (you will find directions somewher on this site), and bait the area you plan to fish.
Tight lines

Post subject: thank you
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:43 pm 

Thank you Owen,

I thought our co anglers will give lot of ideas. Any how thanks for your early reply.

Last sunday i went to a lake (pragathi nagar) near to my place. I couldn't able to catch any thing.One old guy caught one catla( around 2lb) and lot of tilipia.They are using oil cake mixed with rice poish waste ( i don't know exactly of the term).

I prepared ground bait mixing one quarter XXX rum in half kg rice flakes( avalakki) and mixed with maida.
For bait i used atta but no luck. observed lot of fishing action after half an hour of ground baiting.
Voilent flashes in between on the surface. I thought those are by murrel/Rohu.

Any how, wish me for my next trip.May god bless me to catch at least a small tilapia to upload in the image gallary. :lol: :lol:

Thank you

Chandu

Post subject: Re: thank you
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:17 pm 
Fishaholic

chandrasekharasodi wrote:
I prepared ground bait mixing one quarter XXX rum in half kg rice flakes( avalakki) and mixed with maida.

This ground bait should work if you can try doing the following;

1) Soak the rice flakes in rum for few hours.
2) Mix the above with mud and make balls (tennis ball size).
3) Ground bait the area with this mixture a night before (if you plan to fish in the morning) and again 2 hours before you start fishing.

This should work based on what I have so far learned on carp fishing (seen mrigals go crazy) .. for more details on ground bait, the two bongs & Ali are the right guys.

Santosh

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:52 pm 
Fishaholic

Any how, wish me for my next trip.May god bless me to catch at least a small tilapia to upload in the image gallary. :lol: :lol:

Chandu

Chandu the best bet for tilapia is earthworm.Dig up some and you shouldnt come back without a tilapia :wink:
All the best.
Regards,
Yaj.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:55 pm 

Go for it mate, its the fun thats important too...did you try a couple of swigs of the rum while mixing? if you havent, you must ;)
Enjoy and dont forget to smile when you dont get a bite-You've had a great day away from all the rat race madness

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:51 pm 
Fishaholic

Thank you Owen,

For bait i used atta but no luck. observed lot of fishing action after half an hour of ground baiting.
Voilent flashes in between on the surface. I thought those are by murrel/Rohu.

Chandu

That mix (Gavins) will either catch you a catla or get you drunk.

Try oil cake mixed with cooked rice, and use some hing powder to spice it up. Mix the stuff with clay type of soil and make it into egg size balls.

Ground bait at least an hour before you fish. Dont spread the bait out, try to concentrate it in one area about 2 to 3 feet in dia.

Dont splash around your bait when you finally cast in, the fish could have already moved into the swim, attracted by the ground bait, and you could easily scare them away.

Don't leave the spot and drift off elsewhere if nothing much happens for a while, remember that the fish will sooner or later smell the bait and home in on it. The bites could begin with small fish and then the bigger fish start moving in, attracted by the clouded water and the smell.

It is important to ensure that your hook bait is as close to the periphery of the ground bait. No use baiting up in one spot, and fishing in another.

Remember that getting the bait down to the right depth is crucial if you are float fishing, so follow instructions given above to find the right setting for the float.
Ensure your hook size is smaller rather than bigger if you are targeting rohu and mirgal, and just be patient.
You rarely catch a fish on your first attempt so don't give up. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:34 am 
Fishaholic

Quote:

Chandu - Too much XXX rum in the bait... I use one bottle per 10kgs of groundbait.. Use Rum only in your groundbait only.. For the avilakki, use local country liquor. Soak the avilakki overnight in the country liqour,, For every 10 balls of groundbait, use 3 balls of avilakki..
For a new spot, I suggest you groundbait a little heavy but less on the avilakki.. Fish tend to get spooked by the liqour if they not used to it.. Alternatively, you can use boiled rice mixed with your groundbait.

Take about 3kgs of Oil-Cake and grind to powder. Break about 25-30 pods of garlic and add to this.. Add a little less than quarter bottle of rum to this. A litre of rapeseed oil to be added. Mix well with DRY hands and keep it in an airtight container and in the sun..

In a couple of weeks, your groundbait is ready.. Mix the groundbait, with soil from the Banks of the place you are going to fish, in the ratio of 1:1 and make them into ping-pong sized balls.. 12-15 balls will do.

Regards to your bait, Take a loaf of plain white bread and cut off the crust and sides. Break it up into pieces and put it into a mixer. Add about 50gms of white butter / ghee. Make this into a dough. It shouldn't be too soft or too hard.. You can add a couple of drops of vanilla essence to this..
Also before casting, you can add a little of the groundbait on top of your bait which acts as a topping and attractant...

Hope these recipes and ideas can be of some help... Looking forward to a pic of you with a big fish in your hand ... Cheers Mate :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:43 pm 
Fishaholic

Gavin has one more secret that he has not shared with you guys. :wink:
He fluffs up the bait on the hook and makes it look like a boxing glove.
To a drunk catla that would probably represent a big fat worm :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:50 pm 
Fishaholic

Quote:
To a drunk catla that would probably represent a big fat worm

Its called "The Drunken Wiggly Worm" bait... :wink:

Post subject: Encyclopedia
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:44 pm 

Thank you very much mates,

I have just copied the entire topic and taken the print out to make different ground baits.

I have chromium plated hooks, one fellow told me that these hooks will not work for Rohu/Catla.They are using copper coloured hooks.

May be i have to begin from the scratch for Rohu/catla.I have the experience of catching the murrel with a live bait when i was in my 7th standard.

In my home town, general people will not target carps by using hooks.The only method known was using throwing nets to catch that buggers.

Keep posting the different methods and make this topic "Encyclopedia of catching Carp". We can complie and can release book titled "how to deceive a Carp" Bait, tackle and tactics for carp.Author:Indian Angler

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:48 pm 
Fishaholic

Chandu - I personally dont feel that the colour has anything to do with it as long as the hook as sharp and covered properly with the bait..

Go ahead mate.. catch a big one and make us proud :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:24 pm 
Fishaholic

I dont agree with Gavin about hook colour. As those fish wise up to anglers, the slightest glint of metal from a hook and they are off.

I have been studying a Korda video given to me by Derek. Almost the entire video is shot with underwater cameras in real fishing situations.

You should see the way carp react to anything suspicious. Be it the visibility of the main line, the glint of the swivels on the rig, even the rig itself. They ensure that all swivels are well covered by sleeves that are of camo colour. Even the rigs are coloured in patches with marker pens, to break up the colour and blend in with the bottom of the lake. Same with the shape and colour of the lead.

Given that the carp in Europe are a darn sight smarter than the ones at home, it is quite amusing to see the lenghth anglers will go to, to fool a fish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:18 pm 

hey Chandra - do let me know when you are going for Rohu fishing or carp in hyderabad.. I'll like to join.. we need to do quite amount of feeding to get them so lets plan and go.. my number is 9959882224

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:36 pm 
Fishaholic

Owen - I agree with you... But like I mentioned in my statement.. The hook needs to be covered totally by the bait.. Any glimpse of shine and the fish will not take the bait...
But then, there always have been exceptions :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:19 am 
Fishaholic

Owen wrote:
I dont agree with Gavin about hook colour. As those fish wise up to anglers, the slightest glint of metal from a hook and they are off.

I fully agree Owen. But i was just wondering that in case of almost all the big rohus and grass carps (8-15 kg size) that i caught, the hook was partially visible. In fact on all occasions I was float fishing and had just put a piece of roti hanging loose on the hook with half the hook visible. Every time i had a ferocious strike and a big fish. Mostly in routine, I cover my bait fully with atta/other pastes (as taught in the anling basics) and barring few occasions, always end up catching small fish (up to 2 kg size). Could it just be a coincidence???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:15 am 
Fishaholic

Sualeh sahib, which way gives you a hook-up in the mouth rather than in the gutt......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:09 am 
Fishaholic

Sualeh i think that if you are fishing a place with little or no angling pressure, and even rivers where fish are free to come and go, and you would rarely see the same fish again, then the fish don't know what a hook looks like and what it spells for them. But in high pressure lakes,and to non predatory fish it could make a difference.
The transistion in hook colour from stainless steel to dark dull colours probably came into its own when hair rigs started being used, because the hook is fully exposed.

I regularly use chilwa as bait for mahseer and the whole hook is exposed, i even use shiny steel hooks sometimes. Makes no difference to the fish, their predatory instincts overshadow caution and the just go for it. Same can be said for spinning and lure fishing where the hooks are totally exposed but target fish are predators.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:39 am 
Fishaholic

Sualeh sahib

did u ever used "GUR" or "Shakar" in bait for carps.