->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:59 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Earthworms
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:20 am 
Fishaholic

Hi guys
I am keeping earthworms in large size flower pots at my place. It helps during winters as it is difficult to find the worms in that season. I keep the pots at a warm place but still they dont survive well. :cry: Any views how to keep them alive and multiplying during winters??? Is there a need of some special feed??? Please give your views if anyone has the experience.
Regards
Sualeh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:40 am 
Fishaholic

Sualhe Sb,

U weill need a big flower pot and preferably the ones that are similar to our local kayaeri ( I hope i spelt it rite) :lol:

U need to keep the soil fresh and moist and keep the bottom holes plugged..... :wink:

U need to add leaves, dry grass and other similar stuff to keep the food source going. The most imporatant thing is to avoid over watering... and in winters keep the soil covered with a cloth. Becasue the nursey where i use to get my worm supply from :oops: use to churn out quality speciemens year round because of the good water supply and cover provided by the trees cutting out the harsh winter dew and frost.. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:07 am 
Fishaholic

I house mine in a brick enclosure 9 Ft X 3Ft X 20 Inches.Base is also of bricks grouted. No plastering. It has 3 sections . It is covered with a corrugated fibre glass sheet -green colour.
I keep them in manure - semi done - and this keeps them warm too in winters.2 sections have the American red worm and one has the Indian bigger ones. The bigger ones especially the red one - always try and get away - they like to stay in surroundings that are natural.
They are plenty in numbers even in winter.
Hope this helps
Hamdhingra

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:26 am 
Fishaholic

Hamdhingras system works. I have a similar setup for my garden.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:38 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Hamdhingra and rulerofsun
What do you feed to these worms?? Dry leaves and grass etc as Shaphan mentioned??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:50 am 
Fishaholic

Cardboard - They eat it clean - in fact if you are in an apartment and do not want to mess with earth and manure -try corrugated cardboard and see how effective it is. I have recently added Korean grass from my lawn mowing - and they have cleaned that too. They did not eat the shell of bird grain. They will eat anything only--- ensure the thing does not rot - otherwise it will all be smelly
Hope this helps…Hamdhingra

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:20 am 
Fishaholic

informative stuffffff :wink:

Will for sure try the cardboard thingy ( Thanx Ham) :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:16 am 
Fishaholic

The man Friday, a pretty good fisherman, used to feed the worm (just had a few sometime ago) all the kitchen waste. He would put all the organic waste (veg matter, tea leaves, leftover rice & atta, etc) into the pit and then cover with moist mud. In the winter he would cover the it with hay (bhoosa). Seemed to do very well on this diet.

Incidentally he would take the worms one day before the trip and put them in mud flavoured with stuff. Not sure what it was as it was a long time ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:01 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks hamdhingra and mahaseerken, this would certainly help and hopefully, my worms will spend luxurious winters in their new homes.
Cheers
Sualeh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:24 pm 
Fishaholic

See sometimes we get too organised and begin to take out adult worms and say these 100 for this trip and these for the next. Then when this trip comes - these are there but when the next trip comes there are none there. Reason - adult worms dont like to be shifted and they die in the new environment.--(I stated earlier -they run away )-dont discard this container contents as waste, for a week later U will find all the baby worms possible in it - the adults die but they leave behind all the eggs possible and that container becomes a place where they and their future generations will thrive.In fact do this job in earthenware or smaller pots 2.5 to preferably 3 months before you have to go and your supply of worms can not finish.
Cheers...Hamdhingra

Last edited by Hamdhingra on Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:46 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks for the information Ham. Sorry for late reply. Went trout fishing to northern areas. It was quite cold there so could not get any worms. Had to manage with lure fishing only.
Regards
Sualeh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:47 pm 
Enlightened

hi Sualeh, sorry for a long break, got stuck somewhere. how was your trip? when and where can we see the pics?
saw shaphan's qibla bandi trip pics, real inspirational stuff. don't know where this dam is. instead of rawal thinking of giving it a try. do you have any plans for this place?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:42 am 
Fishaholic

nice information here