->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:28 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:02 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi all,
Please give your experience on the use of two techniques in different type of waters, ie, lakes, fast flowing rivers, slow rivers, muddy rivers, clear water etc. Personally, float fishing has always fascinated me, however, advantages of bottom fishing can not be denied. Should one always go for a combination of two?? Any views based on experience would be appreciated.
Regards
Sualeh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:16 pm 
Fishaholic

Sualeh,
ones a wife and the other a girlfriend -impossible to leave either !
Cheers...Hamdhingra

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:36 pm 
Fishaholic

Well said Ham. [smilie=gt-happyup.gif] Can your further clarify which one is the girl friend?:wink: Float or bottom?

Cheers
Sualeh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:58 am 
Fishaholic

Floats are the girl friend - bobbing here and there -needs to be kept an eye on all the time!
Wife - is bottom fishing -rock steady - puts you off to sleep!

Thus the two are indispensable …..

Cheers Hamdhingra

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:00 am 
Fishaholic

Hamdhingra wrote:
Floats are the girl friend - bobbing here and there -needs to be kept an eye on all the time!

:lol: :lol: :lol: looks like you have /had a interesting girl friend.. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:09 pm 
Fishaholic

Hmmm.......

Interesting topic. Particularly about the girl friend bit :)

I think float fishing can be affective in all kinds of enviorments.... though I have'nt tried much of it.....

can any1 please post the different possible knots and ways.....of tying ad using floats.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:20 pm 
Fishaholic

hahahahaahahahahah

I have never laughed so much. Was going to say I love floats but changed my mind as the real wife also logs on.

Agree with you Ham. Can't do without both. Though trotting a float with a bit of algae down a lazy river is second only to casting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:56 pm 
Fishaholic

to be honest i have not got a fish on Kai/algae . Maybe or rather definitely where I tried there was Kai in abundance . I believe this was a popular way to fish in Oakhla. I will try again at a time when there is little or no algae.Are we already past that time ?
Hamdhingra

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:53 pm 
Fishaholic

Never tried it at Okhla. And now that place is very depressing. Remember it in the early 80s when we would cycle down after school and get some real fish on everything - chilwa, atta, worms, frogs... Did the kai thing at Narora. Some great fishing with big ones on small hooks. Lost a zillion more than I reeled in. Sad thing is that the place is now controlled by the UP mafia. Can't fish there any more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:17 pm 
Fishaholic

Narora and Mafia - Journey from Najibabad to Tanakpur is also to be feared. They put their canter on a chase to me way back in '92 and I barely managed to get away.Then later a friend had his nose driven in with a big stone for really no reason.Guys who came back from general area Kashipur 2 weeks back tell me that - just about everyone has a katta -country made gun by his side. So anglers need to be more cautious and go in strength. See how good this gen area of Pong and Bhakra is !
Cheers...Hamdhingra

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:52 pm 
Fishaholic

saftey in numbers is not an option either... these guys are like rabid pack animals who don't understand logic... we have tried everything from bribing with booze :shock: to paying market rates for the fish caught, but nothing stops these guys from breaking your wind sheilds and taking your equipment... aviod that place if you can and only go there if you have clout in UP with aunty Mayawati!!! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:06 am 
Fishaholic

Hi guys, let me tell you what i am going to try tomorrow. ie, ground bait a spot, use a tripple hook rig for bottom fishing in that spot and suspend a float right on top of the bottom rig using the second rod. :lol: What do you say?? :twisted: Could wife and girlfriend work in harmony???? [smilie=sex0ring.gif]
Sualeh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:20 am 
Fishaholic

Sualeh wrote:
:lol: What do you say?? :twisted: Could wife and girlfriend work in harmony???? [smilie=sex0ring.gif]
Sualeh

if that works, let us know... i'm sure a lot of people would be interested!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:00 am 
Fishaholic

Lines above one another tend to tangle :idea: -what to talk of wife and G'frnd - rules of nature apply similarily- so beware :?
Hamdhingra

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:17 am 
Fishaholic

This thread is hilarious! :mrgreen:
Yaj.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:06 pm 
Fishaholic

Hamdhingra wrote:
Lines above one another tend to tangle :idea: -what to talk of wife and G'frnd - rules of nature apply similarily- so beware :?
Hamdhingra

What I meant was one lying on the floor and the other one hanging in mid water. [smilie=sex0ring.gif] Timing is of utmost importance here!! :mrgreen: Absolutely agreed Ham that if they tangle, its a disaster [smilie=cwl.gif].

Cheers
Sualeh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:40 pm 
Fishaholic

and the best is that if one hooks/runs - they will tangle and you may loose both ! Lines are replaceble but. . . . . . . . . .
Also God gave you two arms - for 2 I guess- but pl keep one 'line' clearly to the left and the other to the right.
Cheers - this is gonna work...Hamdhingra :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:47 pm 
Fishaholic

IG,

this is horryfying - till this day I was feeling safe with 2 stun guns and a .22 Cal pistol. The only way appears to be to keep away from these waters.
Tight Lines...Hamdhingra

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:50 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Hamdhingra
One may lose both fish in case of a tangle but wife and girlfriend may not like to get lost and may actually hook you straight in the throat. :lol: :lol:

Tried the technique of using bottom rig and float at the same place today. Could not succeed though my sons caught around 50 Talapias, bam and Kaliar of mediocre sizes. Will keep trying till i come out with some good reciepe for Rawal Lake. Thanks a lot mate.
Regards
Sualeh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:28 pm 
Fishaholic

shaphan wrote:
can any1 please post the different possible knots and ways.....of tying ad using floats.....

Hi Shaphan, there can be a number of ways. Depends on what specie you are targetting, time and the depth of water. I always prefer float fishing over bottom though in certain cases bottom fishing may be more profitable. The advantage of float is one you know when to strike and second ( and for me more important) is the fun that is attached with seeing the float disappearing in the water, moving here and there etc. As a general guideline, i follow the following.
For Rohu, Mahaseer and Grass Carps, i suspend the bait in mid water depth.
For Gulfaam, Kaliar, Mori etc, i keep the bait on groud.
For Sowl, Mulley and singhara, i use float with the live bait. I normally use Dolla (Channa Punctata) as a bait because its a very hardy fish and can survive a hook in the back/tail much better than all other species like Chalwa etc. A float is necessary because dolla tends to crawl under rocks/bushes. In order to keep it swimming in the mid water depth and to track its movements, i use a small float with it.
As for different ways of making float rigs, i will bring you a book that explains everything.
Regards
Sualeh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:23 pm 
Fishaholic

Hamdhingra wrote:
IG,

this is horryfying - till this day I was feeling safe with 2 stun guns and a .22 Cal pistol. The only way appears to be to keep away from these waters.
Tight Lines...Hamdhingra

.22 :shock: :shock:

I think minimum caliber katta they make is .315 and last i heard 9mm was selling for 55k in Delhi... so beware..you never know what they have tucked in under their lungi's :D :D

-Inder

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:52 am 
Fishaholic

Sualeh,
dont U find float fishing to be similar to meditation.The whole mind body and soul is cocentrated on the float and those small small movements. I used to find myself refreshed after float fishing. Once my dolla was bit in half -either a goonj or then a malli. Its some time now since I float fished - will be getting back to it soon.
WW...Hamdhingra

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:56 pm 
Fishaholic

Absolutely agreed Ham!! its no less than a meditation. Great fun.
Cheers
Sualeh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:15 pm 
Fishaholic

Yup Ham!

We went yesterday to a small lake near Rohtak. It was great as there were 4 floats in the water and a few ledgers. The floats are always watched and get special attention, are they at the right depth, is the weight right, etc. Where as the bottom lines are just cast out and then pretty much forgotten till something comes knocking. Pretty much like the wife I guess.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:17 pm 
Fishaholic

Mahaseerken wrote:
Yup Ham!

We went yesterday to a small lake near Rohtak. It was great as there were 4 floats in the water and a few ledgers. The floats are always watched and get special attention, are they at the right depth, is the weight right, etc. Where as the bottom lines are just cast out and then pretty much forgotten till something comes knocking. Pretty much like the wife I guess.

:lol: :lol: :lol: and what did the girlfriends attract??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:49 pm 
Fishaholic

This time it was not a turtle. It was a hard shell tortoise. DAM! The problem was that it was really beautiful, black with amazing white/yellow spots.

Was released unharmed. Though I wanted to make it into a pot of soup.

The CURSE follows me all the way to Rohtak.

Last edited by Mahaseerken on Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:59 pm 
Fishaholic

TKen does it again!
Regards
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:23 pm 
Fishaholic

Mahaseerken wrote:
Where as the bottom lines are just cast out and then pretty much forgotten till something comes knocking. Pretty much like the wife I guess.

Beware of modern wives. They are well capable of bursting the door if the knock is not attended to in time. :wink: And so are the modern fish. The other day a gulfaam (common carp) dragged my son's rod in water with enormous power and we were lucky to get hold of the rod just before it disappeared in the water. This is what happens when you dont attend to the knock. :lol: :lol:
And Mahaseeken, haven't the Indian turtles launched a protest against you with the WWF??? [smilie=hiya.gif]

Cheers
Sualeh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:39 pm 
Fishaholic

MK.
Turtle again -By God I laughed - I had been tense the whole last 1 hour.
and I will no longer speak about wives and girlfriends - I thought roller coaster rides were safe till I . . . . . .
Caution friends...hamdhingra

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:05 am 
Fishaholic

Turtles are out in numbers to get me. I have people outside my house with signs that say "stay home".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:52 am 

This one says-Come on out! been a while now!! Lets do it-catch us a FISH!! ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:56 pm 
Fishaholic

As for different ways of making float rigs, i will bring you a book that explains everything.

Luking forward to meeting you and chking out the rigs....

Gud reports are coming for Mangla and Qibla bandi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:00 pm 
Fishaholic

Hamdhingra wrote:
MK.
Turtle again -By God I laughed -

you laughed!!! you should have seen me... i was in splits, rolling off he bank and into the water... the native regiment was looking at me like i had gone nuts!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:27 pm 
Enlightened

indiangypsy wrote:
Hamdhingra wrote:
MK.
Turtle again -By God I laughed -

you laughed!!! you should have seen me... i was in splits, rolling off he bank and into the water... the native regiment was looking at me like i had gone nuts!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
hey dhruv
wassup i know the feeling maybe these are TMNT looking for sensei
btw what your number bro

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:36 pm 
Fishaholic

shaphan wrote:
Gud reports are coming for Mangla and Qibla bandi

Thats great Shaphan, We will meet soon and finalise the programme.
Cheers
Sualeh

Post subject: tmnt
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:10 pm 
Fishaholic

Mahaseerken wrote:
Turtles are out in numbers to get me. I have people outside my house with signs that say "stay home".

Teenage mutant ninja turtles...la la la...teen age mutant ninja turtles...so you must be shredder m'ken ;-).

Dhruv somehow managed to message about it in between hysterical laughter.

Regards,

Dev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:23 pm 
Fishaholic

Float fishing and trance go hand in hand mate.
Float fishing at night with a very dim light can drive you bonkers, the fish usually move into the margins as light fades, and you can spend a long evening letting your imagination run wild.
The Powai boys must be doing this on a regular basis.
Regards
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:00 pm 
Fishaholic

Oops !!! Ken ya did it again....:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:30 am 
Fishaholic

Owen wrote:
Float fishing at night with a very dim light can drive you bonkers, the fish usually move into the margins as light fades, and you can spend a long evening letting your imagination run wild.

Absolutely agreed Owen. Did you have any success with float fishing in waters more than 20 ft deep. I have been most successful in waters around 6-10 feet but in deep waters, it doesn't seem to work well. Any tricks of the trade???
Regards
Sualeh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:31 am 
Fishaholic

Owen wrote:
Float fishing and trance go hand in hand mate.
The Powai boys must be doing this on a regular basis.
Regards
Owen

Hi Owen,
Ali sometimes uses light sticks fixed to the floats while night fishing,makes it real easy. I am planning to get some and take them for my trip to the North too.

Regards,
Yaj.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:43 am 
Fishaholic

Sualeh, i usually stick close to the margins while float fishing, with a fixed float depth to ensure that bait is a couple of inches off the bottom.

For water deeper than 6ft i usually switch to bottom fishing ledger style.
I enjoy both, but float fishing with light line (upto 8lbs) and a light rod is just fantastic fun. There can be a lot of smaller fish taken initially but just one biggie is enough to make your day.

My brother loves this style, and develops floats for different conditions.

One which i rather like is made from ballpen refills 5mm dia.
He pushes the silicon refill through a dense piece of foam, and then warms the foam over a fire and rolls it by hand into a tear drop shape about 2" long and allows it to stay in the middle of the refill.

The point of the tear drop faces towards the water, and a small hole pierced through the refil to accomodate the fishing line.
Use rubber band stoppers on either end of the line near the float.

Weigh down the line with 3 to 4 small lead shots distributed evenly, nearer to the hook than the float so that the float stands vertically with just an inch or two of the refill standing above water.

I find this type of float works well in waters with a slight current, or in slightly choppy waters.

The plain peacock quill float also does the job in style in still waters.
Tight Lines
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:03 am 
Fishaholic

[/quote]

Hi Owen,
Ali sometimes uses light sticks fixed to the floats while night fishing,makes it real easy. I am planning to get some and take them for my trip to the North too.

Regards,
Yaj.[/quote]
How has the success rate been?
Some of the stuff that you get in Mumbai shops are duds. You crack them and nothing happens. Probably well past their shelf life.

Bobee has been developing some prototype lures with lights in them operated by a battery. Interesting idea, yet to find out if it works.
Regards
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:52 am 
Fishaholic

Owen wrote:
How has the success rate been?
Some of the stuff that you get in Mumbai shops are duds. You crack them and nothing happens. Probably well past their shelf life.

Bobee has been developing some prototype lures with lights in them operated by a battery. Interesting idea, yet to find out if it works.
Regards
Owen

The light sticks he uses work well.
Lures with lights? A member on IFG mentioned using led lights put into condoms and attached to lures in the North. Claims to have caught quite a few fish including Mahseer with this technique.
Regards,
Yaj.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:00 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi guys,

I suppose that the primary reason for float fishing, would be to target the species that do not feed of the bottom.

In different location with different fish species, we would first have to know what species would we be most likely to catch & at what depth.

when I dont get any decent bites while bottom fishing (ocean) I switch to float fishing. I use a peacock quill as a float. I use flourescent paint @ 3 x 1" stripes at the end (for visibility). The quill is bound by a piece of rubber band which makes it easy to adjust the height of the float. I also check the weight of the bait & when thrown, if the float lies flat of the surface I use a small piece of lead to weigh it down till its upright.

I usually catch a lot of Dory snappers with this technique. One thing that should be considered is that the line is usually lose & not held tight, so once we get a bite, we have to cut the slack & strike properly.

I also did see a very interesting article in one of the american fishing magazines. They have come up with a 'clip' type float, so the float can be set quite high & can just be taken off in a jiffy while reeling the fish in.

Sorry guys I dont know much about fresh water fishing, but as a kid I did only float fishing in the marshes with either earthworms, bread or atta & managed to catch Tilapia, catfish, carp & murrel (including the odd turtle) :lol:

Regarding the lures with lights, they have become quite common in the US. If one can do a search on google / ebay, you will find quite a few co's producing them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:35 am 
Fishaholic

Owen wrote:
One which i rather like is made from ballpen refills 5mm dia.
He pushes the silicon refill through a dense piece of foam, and then warms the foam over a fire and rolls it by hand into a tear drop shape about 2" long and allows it to stay in the middle of the refill.

This is a useful tip, i am gonna try this one. Thanks Owen.
Regards
Sualeh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:39 am 
Fishaholic

Here is a nice innovative solution. Only in America can you patent these things and make money. But only in India (and China) can you copy or get 'inspired' by them.

Here's the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ha9uJeMHhk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:20 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks mahaseerken, useful link.
Regards
Sualeh