->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:55 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Lure fishing.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:12 am 
Fishaholic

Hello Friends.

I am facing some issue with leader wire rather the clip attached to the leader wire. I just came back from Goa and after 4 days of fishing I didn’t catch any or get a bite. I was wondering if the clip attached to the leader wire is effecting the way lure moves in the water.

We (Spoonangler and me) decided to buy leader wire instead of using the home made one after the Jaigard incident where we lost fish because the sleeves on the leader wire opened. I was pondering on this for a while since I did have some trouble attaching the lure to the clip since it was getting stuck on the lip of the lure.

So I tried it in a local pond with clear water I did notice my Rapala F-14 wasn’t wiggling they way it should. Please check the image. Awaiting helpful input.

1.The Cause.

2.The difference between our sleeves and the one available in the market however the diameter of the one in the market is larger than the one we use and the difference between how many sleeves are clamped.

3. The problem with the clip getting stuck on the lip.

4.The work around. I am using a split ring and then attaching the clip to the ring after a discussion with spoonangler and santosh.

Last edited by Tathagata on Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:25 am 
Fishaholic

Tats.. that clip looks big.. I will be in panvel tomorrow.. will show you some wire leaders I have

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:41 pm 
Fishaholic

The set up is OK. The clip has a sufficient round edge to allow free movement. It is the stiffness of the wire leader which is not permitting / or is restricting the normal wobble movement. Also check the eye of the lure - it should be absolutely round (at times after a strong fight it is elongated) The best wobble comes in XL, then XT, and lastly steel wire.
Hope this will help
Hamdhingra

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:18 am 
Fishaholic

I know how hard it can be to get kit in India, but just a couple of thoughts.
Firstly, the clip. The sort of safty pin style clips shown in the picture can be opened buy fish biting down on them. This has lost me some good fish and lures in the past. There are alternatives that don't suffer these problems and my current choice would be the fastlink clip from Breakaway tackle.
Secondly, the Swivel. Big bright chrome swivels flash in the sunlight and can spook fish. In saltwater, they can also attract strikes from toothy critters like barracouda that can cut off your line off above the wire and again, this will cost you a small fortune in lures. Bronzed or black swivels will avoid this problem.
Finally, the wire. Nylon coated wire is very thick and very obvious in the water. First question to ask yourself is do you need a wire leeder at all ? If you're fishing at night, I doubt it. I've only ever had one barracouda hit a lure at night so your chances of geting cut off should be minimal if you're fishing after dark. Mono or flourcarbon leaders might be a better option.
For daytime fishing, wire is a must for most tropical saltwater fishing but uncoated brozed stainless steel wire is available. This is much thinner and much less visible than coated wire and will let you catch more fish. Personally, I use 7 strand for casting and solid (single strand) bronzed SS wire for trolling. There are other options like titainium wire and 49 strand SS but those two do for me - although I do use coated wire for bait fishing.
Incidentally, the single strand wire was a bit of a revalation. When trolling, it's very low diameter cuts through the water and lets the lure work much better than the alternatives.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:46 am 
Fishaholic

Hello Ken,

It’s for fishing on the rocks. 2 feet of leader is must however the diameter with the length we were using is not available in the local market. This was the only option I had. I will look into your suggestion.
Regards,
Tathagata

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:19 am 
Fishaholic

14cm isn't a big lure mate. Heavy duty wirework will kill the action no matter how round your clips, because the lure simply wont be able to swish the whole lot back and forth in the water. Try scaling everything down and using a lighter uncoated trace. Alternativly, clip on a bigger lure. Try something other than a Rapala though. I've always found that they get chewed up far to quickly, they're to light to cast properly and never start out with much action anyhow. Give me a Storm or a Bomber anyday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:20 am 
Fishaholic

Storm or a Bomber...... ...... I haven’t tried them, however did see them in Panjim. I really have to rethink about the leader since its really effecting how the lure is behaving. Can’t trick a fish with an artificial lure which behaves like an artificial lure.
Please check the picture it’s a look alike to the one Spoonangler used to make with sleeves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:37 am 
Fishaholic

Definatly better but personally I'd replace the bulky sampo swivel with a good strong (but smaller) one made by /berkley or similar.
The clip is also a big improvement bit still potentially prone to being bitten open unlike one of these

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:02 pm 
Fishaholic

Sampo is about the best . However as far as snaps are concerned try Norman speed clip .This will not open - You just have to get used to it.
Cheers Hamdhingra

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:51 am 
Fishaholic

Thank you for your time and reply Ken and Hamdhingra. I will definitely look out for the clips however we are going on a trip on 20th Sept. I believe it will not reach me before 20th Sept. So I going for a work around please check the images I have attached. Awaiting for your response.

Last edited by Tathagata on Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:50 am 
Fishaholic

The most obvious work around would be to dispence with the clips altogether and rig 3 or 4 different plugs with wire attached directly to the towing eye. As long as you leave a loop when you crimp it down you should be in busines.

All you need to do is coil the wire for storage and knot on a new plug + leader when you want to change lures.

Sure, a big fish will kink the wire and reduce the movement of the lure but by then, it will have done it's job. You can alwats cut it off and re crimp a fresh loop on the beach.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:46 am 
Fishaholic

Hi
From the added photographs- the yellow lure will wobble less.The blue one is fine and will work well.If you still find the movement restricted use another split ring -but be sure its the right one.Too heavy and the movement will be restricted
It comes to me that a crimped wire on to the "ring" of a lure will be the best.U should visualise the lure being trolled and the crimp wire under pressure will not remain oval as it is seen when we crimp it - thus the restricted movement.
Hope this helps -
WW ....Hamdhingra

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:31 am 
Fishaholic

Thanks Hamdhingra.....

Me and young angler after trying our luck in goa!!!!
Bites: 0
Lost : 0
Gear lost : 0

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:56 am 
Fishaholic

No wonder you got 0 bites,.. you both look zonged [smilie=sillyjester.gif]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:59 am 
Fishaholic

not so drunk my friend....... :twisted: