[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 571: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 627: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1075: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1075: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5336: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5336: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
Tail Action of Game fish – Something New - INDIANANGLER ->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:57 am

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:03 am 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:58 am 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:27 am 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:00 pm 
Fishaholic

Yeah Ham
[quote]can you shed some light on carp taking plugs and spoons. I have not seen or read about this anywhere. But a couple of guys at Bhakra told me they catch carp regularly on their artificials.

It would be a clasic rvelation, Carp taking spoons and spinners?????????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:28 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject: carp taking spoons/plugs
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:47 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:53 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:10 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:56 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks on the update Hammer... Much appreciated..
The method you talk about has nearly stopped.. Most of the angling clubs here have resorted to "some" rules and regulations, and do the fishing is a lot better than it used to be..

Looking forward to fishing with you for them Katlas..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:29 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Hamdhingra
This is quite a revealing input. I recall once foul hooking a soul of 1 kg in the tail and always wondered how did it happen. I was moving the lure (Bluefox Vibrax #2) quite slow so there were no chances of 'khitch' also. But the point is can you plan catching a fish using this tail action technique or it will always be coincidental?
Secondly about grass carp taking an artificial lure, thats really amazing. Out of all carps, grass carp is least expected to become carnivorous/omnivorous. I know of common carps (gulfam) regularly taking earthworms and some times, even livebaits (as mentioned by Shaphan) and artificial lures. Rohu and mori also take earthworms sometimes. But grass carp taking an artificial lure is a revealition. Thanks for the input mate.
Cheers
Sualeh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:30 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:32 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:31 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:23 am 
Fishaholic

Sualeh,
though I have little used this I will explain.
Wasp's nest has these wasp grubs which have not fully matured. They move a little. Carefully take out 2-3 of them by peeling the wasps nest from the side.Use a no 6 or 8 hook to hook them so that they remain more or less horizontal when in water.Float Fish.
For Ants eggs - the most common method was to use earthworms on the hook and dip this earthworm into round box (about condenced milk tin size) and move it 2-3 times in a circular manner.The ant eggs stick on.
Maybe this is a natural diet and thus more effective.
Hope this helps
Cheers...Ham

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:46 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Hammy,
Interesting thread.
I have caught a few carnatic carp on mepps spinners while looking for murral, and most of them were caught in the mouth. There was another small very lively black silky looking fish that took to my spinner. I forget its name, but do remember it having a long pointed dorsal fin. The point is that carp do take lures. However grass carp on lures is a new one to me.
I have been searching for a bait for our grass carp. They don't seem to want to touch anything, but yet they are around in large numbers.
Any ideas on other baits and presentation methods for grass carp ?
Regards
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:16 am 
Site Admin

Owen , they should take fly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:21 am 

Dimly recall reading about the tail flick of a fish when its curious, now this correlation is a revelation.
I tried ground baiting for grass carp in WASI lake last week-major activity, but no takes!
However, the PHG has had hooksets on grass carp with - earhworm -regularly! 1-2 kg range.someone forgot to tell them they are herbivorous? I've had a couple of hook ups with bread/gur/coconut oil/vanilla hook bait.Again small ones
Where on earth can I get ants eggs, without becoming an entemologist ??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:16 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:45 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:36 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Owen,
It is coming strongly to me that we can have success with grass carp if we use a combination of vegetation and sone kind of living organism in it. 'Barsin' should do well for the grass part and the american red earthworm(I breed these at home) should be put alternately or then tied with a fine thread to the hook. The contents in the grass carp showed a lot of cellulose - so we may find dry/wetted toori (wheat stock)to be better.Dry if we want the set up to float.
One day or the other we are going to get them
Hamdhingra

Post subject: Maggots
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:54 pm 
Fishaholic

Gentlemen,
has anyone ever tried maggots,they are a natural part of rotting vegetation /dead animals in the water and thus may turn out to be the best.But I feel they should be presented with some natural vegetation.
they are easy to breed. Take 3-4 chicken livers-put them in a handi (earthen pot) put outside at a height. Blow flies do their job and in 3 days u can see them baby maggots . Smell terrible. All of it should be moist and not wet. In 10 days they mature. Put in a handful of bran or porridge or bird seed (anything small and coarse).They move through it and their skin is done tough and slimy element disappears
They may be a good substitute for wasp grubs. I have forgotten how to stop them from becoming flies –will someone throw some light on this
Tight Lines
Hamdhingra

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:31 am 
Site Admin

Ham, to stop them from becoming flies, you would have to freeze them. This however will kill the maggots.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:32 am 
Fishaholic

Hi there people,

About them grass carp. Has anyone tried the soft center of a banana tree. I was told that this is good bait. It floats so the fish take it from the surface adding to the excitement. But I guess you would have to bait the area extensively first and get them feeding.

cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:25 am 
Fishaholic

we should try it out at Bhakra for there is a sizeable population of grass carp there - whats more to it is that since the slopes are steep we can observe them feed.we will have to wait till water level goes down.
Till then lets think of even better ways.
Ham :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:34 am 
Fishaholic

This is one informative thread

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:42 am 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:48 pm 
Fishaholic

Yes we see them regularly eating the tips of grass, but sometimes i wonder whether they are aiming for insects sitting on the grass.
Do banana stems float unaided Apoo ?
Anyone have any info on the size and type of hooks suitable for grass carp fishing ?
Henceforth I plan to do some serious grass carp fishing at the lakes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:04 pm 
Fishaholic

Banana stems float unaided. And they sit like icebergs with most of their body underwater.

Another couple of baits I have been told about are bamboo shoots, small tomatoes and spinach (palak) leaves. Again you have to get the fish feeding confidently on them before you can put in the hooks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:38 pm 
Fishaholic

Mmmmm sounds interesting.
In case you guys wonder why i am all excited about this, here's a reminder of what the WASI lakes hold. This picture has beenposted before.

It was caught a couple of years back by Pratap, and this grassy's mom and dad still live there. Never heard of a grassy taken from the lake thereafter :shock:

******** Picture resized according to forum rules :evil: *******

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:08 pm 
Fishaholic

That is a great big Amur or Grass carp.

What did he get caught on? What tackle? ??? Find out Owen, please.

Heard they fight real well. Bhakra is full of them, some so big you just hope you never hook one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:19 pm 
Fishaholic

Sorry Bops, i thought the size seemed OK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:21 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:29 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:35 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:06 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:38 am 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:57 am 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:57 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:02 pm 
Site Admin

Wrt Grass Carp. Use a syringe with needle to pump some air into an earthworm. Put the hook into the earthworm on the opposite side of the bubble and cast out using a bubble float. You will catch grass carp :-)

IA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:44 pm 
Fishaholic

Dam I wonder who thought of that first. Giving a worm a blow job, that is. :shock: :shock: :oops:

But sounds very possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:52 pm 
Fishaholic

Hell - this is going to work!
Hamdhingra

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:43 am 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:59 am 
Fishaholic