->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:10 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:41 pm 
Fishaholic

HELP!

I have seen that we (the PHG) get a lot of bites but very few hook ups. For example on Sunday we had three good hits, one that nearly dragged the rod into the water but we did not manage to make a connection with the fish.

I ahve tries everything, hair lines, small hooks, large hooks, floats, big abd small weights, fixed weights, etc. I have even got the atta made much softer but still no go.

Any suggestions!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:48 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Mahaseerken

May give float fishing a try :wink: . I have experienced a much higher rate of hookups in float fishing as compared to bottom fishing.
Cheers
Sualeh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:53 pm 
Fishaholic

Tried floats. On the bottom, just off the bottom, on the top, floating baits, etc.

The last time I saw the float dip, dance and then go under. T struck and felt the fish. But there was no contact after that.

We use 10 and 8 size hooks. The bait is either worm (not me coz of my turtle problem) and atta flavoured with something. The weight is just enough to get the atta to the desired level. (I plumb the water first).

Yesterday I tried trotting on the canal. On the third trot the float took off upstream. But here again no luck.

HELP! what am I doing wrong?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:10 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Mahaseerken

If i were a fish and had seen an angler doing so much, i would have hooked myself volunteerily. I think only one thing left. When I used to play basketball, there would be days when every thing would miss, even the simplest of shots. An old man told me that some had done a black magic on your hands. May like to check on that count. :D Just joking.

I think i am actually clueless. May like to see your timings. Hope you dont delay the strike too long??? Sometimes, striking early pays more instead of making sure that the fish has taken the bait.

Cheers

Sualeh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:57 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Ken,
Some days go that way mate. However while float fishing, knowing when to strike is critical. I know blokes who can tell you what's biting and therefore when to strike by just looking at the movement of the float.
Bongs are masters at the art of float fishing.
Regards
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:50 pm 
Site Admin

There's only one solution to this problem :-) A two hook rig.

You tie a size 8 hook at the end of your line leaving ten inches of line to tie another hook. Then tie a size 6 hook two inches below the bend of the first hook. Then snip off the remaining line. Using the three inches of line betwwen the two hooks form another knot and slip it over the top hook and tighten it down so that the size 8 hook is snug against the line. Now the lower size 6 hook should be dangling just below the bend of the first hook since you've used up the line in between to fasten the other hook parallel to the line.

The bait is then put on the lower hook and fucntions like a hair. So when a fish takes the baited hook completely in its mouth the hook above is poised to hook the fish just inside the lip.

Works like magic, all the cats I caught on my last trip were hooked this way, I did not have a single missed hook up. The others who were using the normal method lost a lot of hook ups.

And for those with an incredulous look on their face as they read this.... it is not foul hooking since the fish is hooked well inside the lip by the exposed hook.

The small green circles show where the upper hook has been anchored down to the main line.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:57 pm 
Fishaholic

If you are mostly bottom fishing, what sort of hook link material are you using ?
If you havent tried it already, try a nice soft braid. 15lb should be about right. Don't worry about it being visable. It's being soft that counts.

Are you throwing in any free offerings ?
These will help to get the fish confident and they will take the bait instead of sucking and blowing it. Striking when they're sucking and blowing often causes the hook to catch in the thin membaines of the mouth. You feel the fish for a second, then it's gone as the hook tears free.

How are you striking ? Often a steady lift is better than a fast flick 'case it will pull the hook into the fish instead of the bait out of the fishes mouth.

What method of bite indication are you using ? If you're not using a bolt rig, something like a bobin or an electronic alarm that lets you know there's a bite without alerting the fish will give you the option of lifting into the fish before it can eject the bait.

Just some thoughts...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:25 pm 
Enlightened

Ken!

I can well imagine, what you are going through. In my last six trips, i haven't catch a single decent size fish. Asked for help here, got few recipes, tried everything but in vain. :cry: :cry:

Planning a trip in the coming week, will apply IA technique, lets see what happens. and Sualeh! man do something, seems some black magic :evil: :twisted: hanging around me as well and especially the rawal lake (she is just not accepting me). :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:58 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks people.

Have been trying the two hook set up. But I think the hooks were too big. Will make them smaller and lets see what happens.

Will shift to the braid for terminal tackle. The fish normally pick up the bait and move enough to get the float moving. Still I am sure it will help.

Black Magic!! Dam it is the turtle curse.

One turtle soup coming up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:28 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Fishman
Not really sure about black magic but rain magic is going to stay at Rawal Lake for another 10 days atleast. Till than,
Cheers
Sualeh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:07 pm 
Enlightened

Quote:
rain magic is going to stay at Rawal Lake for another 10 days

I was planning to pay a visit before ramadan, seems unlikely now. By the way why fishing is no good while raining? If its because they get loads of food from the inlets, then why not fish near those inlets? and put something similar on hook.

Rana

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:29 am 
Fishaholic

Hi,
I never use hooks below size 4. In fact all my float and ledger fishing rigs have size 2 and 4 hooks.
Recently we have used trebles from size 4 to 8 and its mostly a hook up. And these hook ups were from Kala Bans and Gid . They just keep eating till one of the hooks go through.
This 2 hook rig is great and wont let a fish go. I am myself going to make a few of these.
I faced the same 'no fish hooked' many a time - the line runs but no fish .Its better to count 3 when the float dissappears/flatens and then strike .
I am myself dying for some float fishing - getting fed up of spinning !
Warm Wishes
Ham

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:12 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Ham,

Thanks for the input. I think 2 and 4s will be to big for the kind of fish we get around Delhi. The jodhs are stocked with mostly Rahu, catla and common carp. Most of the canals also have the same.

Come over to Delhi and do some float fishing with us. The catch is small, mostly up to 2 kgs, but nothing slows downs life like a float in the water.

cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:01 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi MK,

Just read this post or why you initialized it.

When I caught those fish in my tank I realized that my connection ratio even after the fish had taken the point of the hook past the point and bend in his mouth was about 20%, the reason was that a fish does not take the hook as you would picture it, with the hook upright and the fish biting straight into the hook so that if you strike the hook will penetrate the upper part of the mouth.

Instead they take it across, i.e. parallel to their mouth so when you strike the point actually does pry the mouth open and the hook slips straight out. After days of being unsuccessful and carefully observing how they did take the bait I bent the hook slightly, just past the bend towards the point, so that the point was not in line with the shank but slightly away. After that I had a 100% strike rate (under aquarium conditions :lol: ).

Hope this helps you bait fishos.

Regards,

Bobby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:09 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks Bobby,

I knew the sacrifice made by those two fish would pay off. I think bending the hook is a very interesting solution. Will try it at once.

What do you feel about trebles? Did you try them on the two lil ones

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:20 pm 
Fishaholic

Quote:

You sick buggers :shock: :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:23 pm 
Fishaholic

:D :D :D :twisted: :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:47 pm 
Site Admin

Bobby, could you post some pics of the bent hooks?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:06 pm 
Fishaholic

Mahaseerken wrote:
Thanks Bobby,

I knew the sacrifice made by those two fish would pay off. I think bending the hook is a very interesting solution. Will try it at once.

Hey Ken I can see the Toitle averages going through the roof :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:10 pm 
Fishaholic

I have changed tactics. I now fish for turtles only.

If you can't beat them join them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:23 pm 

Oh No, Ken, now we'll have to load up on 40lb fireline to haul those turtles up the 10 ft embankment...I got some no.1 bass hooks-long shanks, where the hook-tip is offset from the shank by about 5-8 degrees.Never tried them out...have a few of the 6 & 8 'haired' rigs on 18lb soft braid-now if only the turbidity comes down and , my ankle stops hurting, I may be fit fo another trip.Yup, the next turtle we hook, is going in my sandwich

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:35 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey doc!

We went there when the pumps were on and fished the other side. Very good action there with a lot of big bites (mostly carp). We managed to hook a couple of small ones. I might get there this weekend with a plan and a few new hair-rigs. Let's see what happens then.

cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:41 pm 

GO GO GO!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:36 pm 
Fishaholic

best of luck!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:50 pm 
Fishaholic

Fishman wrote:
Quote:
rain magic is going to stay at Rawal Lake for another 10 days

I was planning to pay a visit before ramadan, seems unlikely now. By the way why fishing is no good while raining? If its because they get loads of food from the inlets, then why not fish near those inlets? and put something similar on hook.

Rana

Hi Rana, i thinks its because the water level in Rawal Lake has gone up too much increasing the fish feeding area. Moreover, it may not be such a pleasure to fish on the slushy banks. One may still give it a try. I am going tomorrow morning(if it doesn't rain cats and dogs in the morning) :lol: :lol: :wink:
Cheers
Sualeh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:19 pm 
Fishaholic

I had posted some pictures earlier on the site, will do again