->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:17 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Hook Sizes ???
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:14 am 
Fishaholic

I am supposed to change flimsy/thin trebles with thicker single / trebles in my plugs / spinners / spoons. But, I do not know how to order the thicker hooks as I do not know the size of the hooks installed? My spinners are Mepps in size 1,2,3,4. Spoons are about 3-4 inches 3/4 oz and 1 oz.

On the net it is said that hooks have no standards on the size front? Please help on this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:29 pm 
Fishaholic

Hook sizes are confusing. Although the size system is pretty much universal, the actual sizes of the hooks for a given stated size varies from country to country.
Where there is a single number quoted, the lower the stated number, the bigger the hook, so a size "20" will be so small that a matchstick will barely fit into the gape (the gap between the point and the shank) whereas with a size 2, the gape will be about 1cm. for bigger hooks, the sizing system changes and will be shown as "1/O", "2/O", "8/O" etc with the hook size getting bigger with the size of the number preceding the "/O".

Next thing is the thickness of the wire. Fine wire super sharp hooks are fine for American bass fishing, but for barramundi, mahseer and the like, these aren't much good so you need hooks with thicker and strong wire. This is expressed in terms of how many times stronger it is than the standard wire, so you will see hooks advertised as 2x, 3x, 4x or even 6x.

Then there's coatings and materials. "duratin" coatings or stainless steel hooks will survive saltwater better but in sweetwater, a simple bronzed hook might be a better choice because although it will rust, all of the weight of the hook is steel and it will be much stronger for a given weight or wire diameter.

The upshot is that for barra fishing, something like size 1 or size 2, 3x trebles with a duratin coating might be a good choice.
For big GT poppers, you might want much bigger size 2/O or 3/O hooks rated as 4x or even 6x strong, again either stainless or duratin coated.
For replacement hooks for spinners that you use for trout, fine wire (1x) size 8 trebles that are either bronzed or tinned (shiney silver) would be a better choice.

Hope this helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:37 pm 
Fishaholic

Just a suggestion.

On Rapala plugs with three sets of hooks you should up the hook size. To ensure the hooks don't foul drop the center hook. To make sure the plugs are balanced (the hooks act as a keel) weight the thin flimsy hooks and make sure the bigger hooks are just about that weight.

You get the same number of hook ups. And none of the fish will get away because of the hooks straightening out. So don't worry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:23 pm 
Fishaholic

Replacement hook manual from VMC, for a variety of lures

http://www.vmchooks.com/inc_manual.htm

tight lines

Makarand

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:34 pm 
Site Admin

Nice link, thanks Mak.

Post subject: hooks
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:39 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi,
I am located right next to u and u can contact me on 9888316144. I have all the hooks possible .Short or long shank, round bend or regular,1X - 4X , vanadium,permasteel,etc etc.U can see everything and understand.
Cheers...Ham