->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:50 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:04 am 
Fishaholic

Hi All,
I would like to know
1> difference between Spinning & casting
2> diference between a spinning (rod / Reel) & Casting (rod / Reel).
3> Would one work for the other.
If pictures can be posted that would be much appreciated.

Than you.
Susheel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:10 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi guys, this may not be the correct way to interpret this, but I'll give it a shot.

As per me;

1. Difference between Spinning & casting

Spinning: In spinning, the action is of throwing & retreiving. this could be done with different lures. (floaters, deep divers, spoons, spinners, shads, etc)

Casting: Casting is a process where the line is attached to a weight & thrown at a certain distance, usually with a set bait.

2. Spinning & casting Rod / reel:

The spinning rod has larger & fewer guides than the casting outfit.

In Spinning when you throw (cast) a lure, the line bellows out of the reel (spiral) like a coil.

Since there isnt much friction & the guides are larger, the light lures can be cast (thrown) further away.

While casting (using a bait caster) the line comes straight off the reel.

Note that in Spinning the reel is attached below the rod & while using a bait caster, it is fitted above.

To start off, using a spinning reel is always easier & after that, you should go a level up & use a bait caster.

If a spinning reel is used on a casting rod, there are chances that the line will get choked on the guide & you will not get the desired distance.

The spinning rod has lesser guides than the baitcasting rods. Baitcasting rods also have the guides closer to the real seat in comparison.

If you look at spinning rods closely, the very first guide (towards the reelseat) is large. The larger the guide, the more distance it has from the rod blank. This is so that when the line is cast & it bellows, the line should not strike the rod, which could reduce the casting distance of the lure. The perfect stripper guide (first guide) should be large enough to let the line bellow & small enough to contain it from striking the rod.

OK guys, I know I made a total mess of what I was trying to say, so please give your inputs here, as I have now confused myself with this post. Never the less I still prefer casting with a spinning outfit.

A little secret....I'm useless with a baitcaster........Chua (tackel bloke) where are you ??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:07 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks Keyur

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:00 pm 
Fishaholic

Anglers Spin yarns. And then the other Cast doubts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:23 pm 
Fishaholic

Both are American terms.
In the context of lure fishing, a "Casting" rod is one designed for use with a small multiplier reel which is often refeered to as a baitcasting reel. The rod will usuallybe short, have a trigger grip and be set up with very small rings that sit on top of the rod. The trigger grip will make fitting a spinning reel very uncomfortable and the small rings will dramatically reduce casting distances if a spinning reel is used.

A "Spinning" rod is one set up with a spinning (AKA fixed spool) reel. It will not have the trigger grip and the rings will be larger and more spaced out. Using a spinning rod with a baitcasting reel doesn't work very well either. The widely spaced rings will allow the line to cross the blank when a fish is being played and the longer length and lack of a trigger grip will impair control.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:27 pm 
Fishaholic

Keyur
For whatever the mess and confusion
its still enlightening
thanks again

Lenny

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:24 pm 
Fishaholic

In the sport of fishing or casting with a fishing rod, casting is to deliver a lure, bait, fly or plug, attached to the line, by the act of loading the flexible rod with a quick hand motion toward the intended target and releasing the line at the same time the hand motion is ended. Besides it's use to catch fish, casting is also a sport of accuracy and distance games enjoyed world wide. This sport can be held on water or on an athletic field and there are competitive divisions for almost all types of fly, fixed spol and revolving spool tackle and competitors. It is included in the World Games (see photo on right) and has been considered for the Olympics. The American Casting Association will hold it's 100th Annual Casting Championships in 2008 at the Golden Gate Angling & Casting Club.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:26 pm 
Fishaholic

What is Spin Fishing?
Spin fishing or spinning involves the use of artificial lures, which spin as the angler reels in the line. Spin fishing anglers pay close attention to the retrieval speed and the depth of the lure, trying to imitate a game fish's prey. As the lure spins, as the name, spin fishing indicates, the lure's action often times provokes the fish to bite. If a fish strikes the moving lure, it will usually hook itself. When the fish is hooked, bait-casters and spin-casters reel it in and land it with a net or gaff (a sharp, hook-like pole). Lighter fishing rods are used for smaller fish, and heavier rods for bigger fish. It is considered unsporting to use large rods for small fish because a heavier rod tires them quickly and denies them a chance to fight and escape.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:37 am 
Fishaholic

according to me, casting is the action of throwing the spinner or baited hook. and spinning describes the action of the spinner.To my knowledge where small fish are caught from the shore the rod and reel can be the same for both casting spinners or baited hooks. For surf fishing and boat fishing larger rods and reels are needed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:04 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:14 am 
Fishaholic

Thanks a lot beemorein that was very helpful

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:16 am 
Fishaholic

Cool!!! Beemorein thanks for the picture.
However trick to know type and quality of a rod lies on locating the spine of the fishing rod.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:29 am 
Fishaholic

That Catapult Cast is a killer. we used it as kids when we fished the Old Fort lake. Don't ask me how many of my friends I have seen going home with a hook in their finger.

Careful with that one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:41 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi M'ken,

I definately wouldn't ever try the cat cast (maybe when the worms troube me a lot :lol: ). If not released properly, could definately take a piece out. Could even be a hook 'set' in your face. I'm sure there might be some who have mastered it........ I'll go the easy way.

Tatha,

not sure how many would agree, but by holding the rod just above the real seat & giving it a thump on the bottom / butt (ok ok I know it sounds naughty) with the other hand, you will be able to locate the spine of the rod. I learnt it from a friend :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:50 pm 
Fishaholic

The catapult cast is a great trick for tight spots. It tends to work better with light gear though and is definatly a lure fishing technique rather than one that's suitable fo bait fishing.
I mainly use it in the UK when targetting trout and chub in small overgrown rivers.
Maybe one for our hill fishing trout anglers ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:13 am 
Fishaholic

Try holding the hook at the eye, with the curl of the hok pointing upwards between your thumb and first finger.

I have also seen Jude use the same technic.

I also works with plugs and spinners.

Post subject: Spinning techniques
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:54 pm 

hey guys, I'm pretty new to angling and want to learn from you Gurus. I'm trying to do spinning and i use a bait which has a artificial fish on it. What I'm currently doing is spinning the bait quite a distance and start pulling it immediately as soon as it hits the water. Is this the right approach? Or should I put a weight at the end of the line and tie the hook with a bait 3 feet before the weight and start pulling as soon as it hits the water? OR should I allow the bait to sink into the water and then start pulling it?
I've tried to browse multiple websites since past 1 week but nowhere have I found a proper place which exactly describes how to do spinning, where to tie what, when to start pulling, how to sense the fish, some diagrams, nothing of that sort. Can anyone guide me please? Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:28 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi K. Dood,

The only way you'll ever learn to fish is to go along fishing with fellow anglers from Hydrabad.

Jeen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:15 am 
Fishaholic

beemorein wrote:
Try holding the hook at the eye, with the curl of the hok pointing upwards between your thumb and first finger.

I have also seen Jude use the same technic.

I also works with plugs and spinners.

Bobby,

very informative data on the spinning vs casting.

That catapult trick works best only when baiting with earthworm and using a very flexible short rod.Habit of old days when you had fixed line on a thin bamboo stick and fishing in tight spots .

Whatever happened to that cubbon park project ???

Jude

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:47 am 
Fishaholic

CONFUSED SUSHEEL :?: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:27 pm 
Fishaholic

Bobby wrote:
CONFUSED SUSHEEL :?: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Right On Bobster .. right on ..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:05 am 
Fishaholic

:-) aww u can say that but still the posts here are rather informative and helpful - thanks all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:34 am 
Fishaholic

Susheel,
If you plan to put any of those catapult casts into practice, please put up a sign. 'DANGER MEN FISHING" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:52 pm 
Fishaholic

appropriate indeed :-)