->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:47 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:21 am 
Fishaholic

hey saiki, great going.. :D

That's a beautiful rohu .. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:59 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Saiki
good size catches dear keep them coming ,save some biggies for me too yesterday spoke to gavin guruji :lol: very soon planning to join you all
regards
riaz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:15 pm 
Fishaholic

thanks guys...

@riaz: yeah buddy indecember i've heard
surely looking forward for a nice trip :lol:

@santosh: check your pm buddy :-)

regards
saiki

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:03 am 
Fishaholic

nice catch.....saiki....!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:44 pm 
Fishaholic

Here's a little :twisted: write up on the trip....

After cancelling on Doc Sai on three previous occassions, I had to make it this time.. So we had confirmed for the 19th.. According to Saiki (aka the Doc ), you had to be there at the crack of dawn.. With all arrangements made and confirmed, the weather decided to play spoilsport and the Met Office predicted thundershowers for the entire week.. But what they didn't know is that we anglers are a bunch of mad buggers :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyways, got up at around 2am ( yes 2 a.m. :shock: ) and packed the car with the equipment.. Left home at around 3 to pick up Peter ( a Fort angler ) and then on the long 30km drive to meet up with the Doc ..

Its pitch dark on the highway and we were looking out for Saiki and the landmark.. Slight drizzle and the cold breeze didn't make things easy..

All this while, I was communicating with the Doc and trying to locate his coordinates and only to find that we have gone 15kms past him.. Turned the car around and this time passed him by 2kms.. Doc is getting pissed off by this time as it starts to dawn.. (He wants to cast before the fish can get out off bed :lol: )
Anyways, still not being able to locate him, I park the car on the edge of the highway and waited up for him.. Watered the highway in the bargain :twisted:

Finally the Doc met up with me and we moved on to Ludlow.. Through narrow lanes and paddy fields we arrived at the Jute Mill..

The soil here was the clayey type and with the rains over the last few days, all of us were slipping and sliding rather than walking..
Anyways, everybody lent a hand and we managed to set up our gear.. My Old Man and myself took the centre. Peter to the right of us and the Doc's uncle to the left of us.. Ustaad Saiki and his team sat a little away from us..
Groundbaiting done and the water level up by a few inches, thanks to amount of groundbait, we tried to read the waters for some tell-tale signs of fish, but with the strong breeze and the waves, not much help we had..

Folks, it was a bad day to be out fishing. Cold, raining, breezy and skating around like Michelle Kwan at the '98 Olympics all started to take a toll on us.. Not place to sit because of all the muck, we accepted that we may not catch much but atleast we would do some R & D for the next trip.. :wink:

To make matters worse, the mill workers would regularly come and have a dip in the waters just next to where my Old Man and myself were fishing.. Enough splashes to make them fish head for the furthest cover..
Most of them would comment on the fish in the Lake and it appeared to me that they knew what they were talking about and not making any estimates..
The best part came when an elderly gentleman was telling me that there used to be a lot of very big fish in the lake but several months ago, the waters were over-run by water hyacinths and as a result of which , the fish could not breed and died of suffocation.. They managed to clear up the water hyacinths but the big fish were gone and only smaller fish remained.. I asked the question. " How small were the small fish ? " , expecting a reply of 2-3kgs.. This guy tells me, "the rohus are about 10-15kgs, mrigals about 7-12kgs and the catlas would be about 18-30kgs...... And that was small... [smilie=holyshit.gif]

Suddenly,, the Docs uncle called out to me, he was playing a nice fish adn was afraid it could get into the weeds, so I decided to literally jump in and help out. So with my landing net, i stood waist deep in water waiting for the bugger, and with the expertise of the Doc's uncle, we landed the mrigal, which I assume should weigh in about 4kgs..

Barely we landed this one, did Peter also hook into another fish. He played it for quite some time but when it got near, it went into the weeds nearby and got off.. By the looks of it, it was a mrigal and was about 6 to 7kgs in weight.. Tough luck for him..

Rains started and the fishing became slow again..

An hour later, just as the rain stopped, I saw the Doc's uncle lift his rod and a second later, i see this rohu breach the water, a clear five feet off the surface.. And what a run after that.. He took off, and covered the length and breadth of the lake. We all reeled in our lines and helped out..
15 mins later, the rohu was on the Bank.. Very solid but less red than the ones you normally would find in tanks and ponds around Bong-land.. Approx weight should be about 7-8kgs..

Satisfied on seeing two good fish caught and one missed, we knew that there were bigger fish in there.. And on a better day, we would get out chances again..
With all the rain and the muck and the mud, added to the early morning wake up and the tour of NH-6, had drained all our energy. ( plus i didnt want to get my hooks stuck into any of the Jute Mill swimmers :wink: ). So leaving the Doc and his Uncle back to do more fishing, us three anglers packed and left for home with a promise to get back there again... SOON [/b]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:53 pm 
Fishaholic

Nice write up Gavin. As good as the fish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:58 pm 
Fishaholic

Quote:
As good as the fish.

Whose fish, mate ?? Hope u not talking about mine :evil: :evil: Sensitive issue mate.. Don't go there :twisted:

Post subject: you beat me to it!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:46 pm 
Enlightened

hi Saikibryan.
I was supposed to to go to the same place with gavin while i was in calcutta.
but it fell through, damn! after looking at your fab' photos i am really cursing as i now realise that i missed out big time!
gav' we've got to get our act togather next time.
Oh! and by the way, did you mention about our trip to fort william?
I mean the great battle of India , nepal, and australia.
who caught the most fish [even though they were undersize!]
c'mon aussie c'mon!
Cheers guys!
Peter D'costa.
Our snapper season is about to start next week in melbourne
so i promise i will be active on this site again!
sorry Bops! i could not make it to bangalore this time!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:07 pm 
Site Admin

No probs, Peter. Next time come down post monsoon :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:57 pm 
Fishaholic

Great catch....specially the Rohu is a real good one. Keep it up.
Cheers