->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:59 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Powai Calling
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:36 am 
Fishaholic

Here are some fishes which were caught by myself and my friend Zainul in Powai Lake this season.

Betki 12 lb

Catla 33 lb

Silver 25 lb

Hybrid 11lb

Mangur and Mirgals

Rohu 22lb

Rohu 22lb

Silver 30lb

Silver 13lb

Regards,

Ali

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:48 am 
Fishaholic

Nice fish.

Pity they'll never grow to record sizes and we'll never have carp fanatics landing up on our waters.....
So the record carp will be the 77lb mirror from Lac du Cassien or 245 Giant Siamese from Bung Sam Lan, and never a 80lb rohu from our waters.
Sniff.

V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:21 pm 
Enlightened

Hi Ali bro......

Great going......keep it up

Bye
Take care

Dev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:36 pm 
Fishaholic

Vedan wrote:
Nice fish.

Pity they'll never grow to record sizes and we'll never have carp fanatics landing up on our waters.....
So the record carp will be the 77lb mirror from Lac du Cassien or 245 Giant Siamese from Bung Sam Lan, and never a 80lb rohu from our waters.
Sniff.

V.

completely agree with ya mate :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:44 pm 

Jeez that catla looks rather thick and humpular.. You have got my complete and undivided attention now. Tell me more. Thanks and well done Ali! :D

I believe the current carp record stands at 87lbs at Rainbow Lakes/France:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgo5YndYkko

The current Bung Sam Lan Siamese Carp record is held by me! :lol: Only joking fellas, but I did catch a rather satisfactory 28lber there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:28 am 
Fishaholic

Ali,

Great going. Just wanted to ask you a couple of questions.

In Pakistan we refer to Catla as Thaila ( JUst becase of its looks). What bait, rigs and techniques do you use for catching catla?????

Secondly the same questions for Silver and Betki ( i think thats BIG head if I am not wrong????)

Will apprecaite the info!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:36 pm 
Fishaholic

Carpernicus wrote:
Jeez that catla looks rather thick and humpular.. You have got my complete and undivided attention now. Tell me more. Thanks and well done Ali! :D

I believe the current carp record stands at 87lbs at Rainbow Lakes/France:

The current Bung Sam Lan Siamese Carp record is held by me! :lol: Only joking fellas, but I did catch a rather satisfactory 28lber there.

Hi Carpernicus,
& Note Vedan/saiki
If you want to go after the world record for Carp, try Powai lake. In past fishes of 85 lb (Katla & Silver) were taken in this water. This season biggest catch was a Catla of 61.6 lb and Silver Carp 81.4 lb. Hopefully in next season many fishes will cross this world record. It is said that fishes ( Carp) of 99 lb are present in this lake.

Regards,

Ali..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:22 pm 
Fishaholic

hi Ali when will be your next trip to pawai if you dont mind i would like to join you pls pm me the details of tackle and acc to carry
regards
riaz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:45 pm 
Fishaholic

R.I.P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:52 pm 

Those Powai weights are huge and I take it most are in proportion even though they are in a lake. Boilie bellies make fish look horrible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:56 pm 
Fishaholic

angler_ali wrote:
If you want to go after the world record for Carp, try Powai lake. In past fishes of 85 lb (Katla & Silver) were taken in this water. This season biggest catch was a Catla of 61.6 lb and Silver Carp 81.4 lb. Hopefully in next season many fishes will cross this world record. It is said that fishes ( Carp) of 99 lb are present in this lake.

Regards,

Ali..

thats nice update Ali...
only if ya people can alter the tactics...
and like Ken says "Kiss (catch) and release"

regards
saiki

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:57 am 
Fishaholic

riaz wrote:
hi Ali when will be your next trip to pawai if you dont mind i would like to join you pls pm me the details of tackle and acc to carry
regards
riaz

Hi Riaz,
You are most welcome. Any time you want to come for fishing in Powai just tell me and I will take you there. You do not have to bring any thing as every thing is available here.

:lol:
Regards,

Ali

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:14 pm 
Fishaholic

Just had a discussion with one of my friend Mr. Jawed Ansari-one of the best angler I have ever met. He himself has caught a Silver Carp of 41 Kg in Powai lake…… Hmmmm.. lets calculate the weight… :!: …..90.2 lb……and what is the world record for carp….. :?:

As the above mentioned catch was not recorded and documented properly we at Powai can not claim the world record but watch out friends, I am sure within no time this world record will be in name of Powai lake…..
:wink: :wink:

regards..

Ali.. :lol: [smilie=coolup.gif]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:49 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Ali,

:wink:

What does a world record mean? World records are maintained by the IGFA which I represent in India. Any catch where the fish is hooked anywhere else other than the inside of the mouth is not eligible for a world record....sadly the Powai fish no matter how big will never be eligible for a world record.

Unless of course all of you change your fishing tactics :lol:

Bopanna

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:08 pm 
Fishaholic

Dear Bopanna,

I appreciate your concern and information regarding the world record. Let me clear one thing to every one on this forum that not all the persons fishing in Powai use same technique and despite there being no compulsion on catch and release policy, many of the member follow it. Rest assure, that we will not dare to even think of claming the world record if the fish is foul hooked. But also rest assure that this record will be in the name of Powai in the near future. Many of our fishes will cross the 87lb limit within one to two years.

Regards..

Ali
:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:45 pm 
Fishaholic

I am not yet a member at Powai, but have visited the place 6 to 7 times now.

What I have seen so far & after interacting with like minded people there, I have no doubt that most of members at the club have a concern for the club & are willing to cooperate in the efforts taken to improve things.

I was part of a small discussion few days back with 10 /11 senior members & was quite impressed with their knowledge & love for angling.
Was also happy to see Ali suggesting few good ideas to improve the situation including setting up a hatchery & preventing poaching, which was well accepted by all present.

As far as the technique is concerned, I won’t discuss it here, it has been already discussed with Ali & with those who matter on how it evolved & from when & why it was practiced.

Guys, definitely there are few meat collectors in Powai, but majority of the members I found are pure angling lovers.

The club has some good young members now & have no doubt that these young members will change the way others look at Powai.

Regards,

Santosh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:10 am 

Wouldn't it be easier to have a regular IGFA member present there at these sort of places? From what I've read on on the rules, there can be many discrepancies which can occur and, in effect, jeopardize a potential world record (if it happens). And you know the way ladyluck plays her naughty lil game.. :shock:

Tippet, line-sample, hook limit?, tested scales?, witnesses.. the list goes on - are all standard requirements. So I doubt most huge catches are even recorded or noticed in this respect. Surely this can be explained in Lehman's terms for most of us. :oops:

Maybe starting with freshwater:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:23 pm 
Fishaholic

santosh wrote:
The club has some good young members now & have no doubt that these young members will change the way others look at Powai

good luck mates...

saiki

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:45 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Capernicus

I am pretty sure that Powai lake has the potential to break at least three world records in just a few weeks fishing. All it takes is for some dedicated anglers to follow the rules mentioned in the IGFA rule book which can be downloaded from here.

www.indianangler.com/IGFABookRule2004.pdf

Cheers
Bopanna

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:43 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Bopanna,
Thank you for the information. It is really nice of you to post these information. There are many great anglers like you, Owen, gavin and Freddy. (I am sure there are many more) in this foram. I invite you all for one week of fishing in Mumbai. There was bangar get together, there was Mumbai meet and ther are the ever green PHG. Lets plan something like Indian angler get together wherein we all can intract and fish together. lets give a try to the world record together. :lol: . Who knows... :!: it may come in the name of INDIAN ANGLER.

Regards..

Ali.. :wink:

P.S. What say santosh, Vishal and Yej.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:25 pm 
Fishaholic

Vedan wrote:
Nice fish.

Sniff.

V.

I second that thought completely!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:16 pm 
Fishaholic

angler_ali wrote:
Hi Bopanna,
Thank you for the information. It is really nice of you to post these information. There are many great anglers like you, Owen, gavin and Freddy. (I am sure there are many more) in this foram. I invite you all for one week of fishing in Mumbai. There was bangar get together, there was Mumbai meet and ther are the ever green PHG. Lets plan something like Indian angler get together wherein we all can intract and fish together. lets give a try to the world record together. :lol: . Who knows... :!: it may come in the name of INDIAN ANGLER.

Regards..

Im on Ali ... most probably Vishal and myself should be at the lake on Sunday ... U there ????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:46 pm 
Fishaholic

angler_ali wrote:
Lets plan something like Indian angler get together wherein we all can intract and fish together. lets give a try to the world record together. :lol: . Who knows... :!: it may come in the name of INDIAN ANGLER.
Regards..

Great idea Ali,
I can be World record holder for tilapia .. [smilie=giggle.gif] [smilie=madking.gif]