->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:30 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Intoducing Patt Kerr
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:41 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Guy's,
Posting a fishing story on behalf of my friend Patt ,with some excelent picures taken in the US. He is a member of our forum. For those in the south who don't him, he runs his own outfit out of Noida and knows all the good rivers and streams in the North, and has been at it for a long time now. Also does some writing from time to time.
Hope to hear from you regularly from now on Patt.
Regards
Owen

Hi Owen,

Trust the appended story explains my silence.

I'm sending the pics that go with the story by a second email.

I couldn't figure out how to share this on the IndianAngler site, so if you do, please go ahead & post/host it.

All the best,

Pat

[b][bRainbow Trout Fishing in Southern Pennsylvania

By Patrick Kerr

During the end of May this year, I spent a couple of great days with my brother Michael in a rural part of South Pennsylvania. Michael is in the process of becoming a Doctor of Psychology and studies at the University of Pittsburgh, his second major subject is Environmental Studies and - if you ask me - this is a subject that's probably closer to his heart than Psychology.

Early on morning Michael, my son Raoul (aged 12) & I went out fishing in a little creek about half an hour's drive away from where Michael lives. The morning was hazy & nippy after the previous evening's rain as we drove along the wet roads that wound their way through the densely wooded hills.

America, in some ways, is a simple & straightforward country; we drove over a ridge named what else but "Windy Ridge". I then noticed a little black bird with a flash of red on it's wings hovering over a field feeding on insects. "Do you know the name of that bird?" I ask Michael. "Red-winged Blackbird" was his laconic reply!

We drove past a set of little farms spread over both sides of the road, a set of four farms, two on each side of the road and spread out with quite a bit of land between each farm. A road sign on the curve in to this habitation warned "Hearing Impaired Child - Drive Slow" - the local highway authority had taken the trouble to warn passing motorists of the possible hazard of one hearing impaired child that lived in this quiet part of the country in one of those four lonely farms!

"That's where I saw turkey last season," said Michael pointing out to a spot down in the valley. The whole region is densely wooded and there's coal everywhere. We drove under a railway bridge just as a freight train passed over us. There must have been close to one hundred freight cars on that train - all full of coal - and definitely the longest train that I've ever seen in my life.

"See that property there?" asks Michael as he points through the front windshield. "There's a vein of coal running right under it and the coal-mining company offered the owner two & a half million dollars for the property. The owner demanded six. The company countered with three but the owner didn't back down. The company dropped all negotiations and spent eight million dollars to cut a tunnel around that property & begin mining the next vein!"

"That farm was sold to the coal company for four million dollars," continued Michael as we drove on, "but when they started mining they found that it was not commercially viable and have withdrawn all mining activities. The sellers have moved south and now live happily ever after in Florida."

We reach the road-head and turn off onto a track leading downhill. The vegetation gets denser and he going is a little tricky with the car's wheels slipping & sliding on the unpaved, wet road. "Welcome To State Game Land - Hunt Safely" announced a signboard nailed to a tree. "Wow!" says Raoul "what a civilised country! They actually welcome you to hunt!"

We park the car in a designated parking spot at the end of the track. There's just one more car there so we're quite happy to have almost exclusive fishing rights to the little creek.

However, I'm not fishing today. State law categorises me as a 'Foreigner' - I neither belong to the country nor the state and the minimum period for which a fishing licence is issued is one week. The cost of the licence for me was way out of my budget so I grudgingly accepted the roll of photographer as Michael and Raoul (kids, any kid under the age of 15 years is allowed, or rather, encouraged to fish for free) get their gear on. They step into their waders, assemble the light spinning rods and fit on the spin-casting reels. Michael then opens his tackle box and selects a lure for Raoul, "I caught a big one with his spinner last week. Use a slow retrieve." said Michael as Raoul clipped the little spinner onto his snap-swivel.

We take a couple of pictures with the signboards in the background and then follow a path through the wet hay field running along the edge of the creek. The hay is waist-high and soon drenches me. Michael & Raoul, in their waders, are unaffected & a few steps further down the path, the two of them carefully make their way down the slippery banks of the creek & wade into it's murky waters. The water has been discoloured by the evening rain but Michael judges the colour to be OK for fishing with the shiny spoons that they're using. I stay up on the high bank of the creek and watch them fish.

Michael is tall - he stands up to six feet and four inches to my even six - the family legend says he grew taller than me, his older brother, because he took out his own tonsils at the age of four. His 'scalpel' was a pointed stick that he was chewing on when a playmate tripped him by stepping on the over-sized flip-flops that he was wearing!

Raoul, being the age that he's at, stands at an even five feet in height. I was conscious of this difference in height as I looked down on the two fishermen, a little boy & a grown man with a common passion - the great outdoors.

"Cast there," instructed Michael, "watch out for those roots just underwater there. Don't go too far in as you'll be over the depth of your waders." Soon, Raoul was into a small Small Mouth Bass - a four inch long fish - too tiny to keep. The Bass was quickly de-hooked & released.

Looking around from where I was standing, I noticed a large track of the hay field had been flattened out so I set out to explore and left the fishermen to their fishing. I walked into the patch of flattened hay to find that this was wher e a herd of White-tailed Deer had sat out the early morning. They had probably waked across the field to the creek, drank water and then bedded down here while the sky lightened into a new dawn.

The two fishermen climbed up to where I was & after studying the signs in the flattened hay, tended to agree with my conclusions. "Lets cut across the field and fish upstream of here" said Michael pointing in the general direction in which he wanted us to move in. Ahead of us was a low and treeless hill. "Red Indian burial ground," said Michael. "Such places were considered sacred by the Indians & they brought their dead here for burial or decomposition, as decided by the Medicine Man of the Tribe."

We walked over the barren hill half expecting to stumble on an old bone or skeleton but there was nothing there except shrubbery & grass. On the other side of the hill was a Jeep Track. We go onto this track & followed it to an old iron bridge. Here, the fishermen went fishing again & I continued with my explorations of the wilderness while looking for photo opportunities & picture compositions on constant offer in my immediate surroundings.

The bridge was old & rusted. Some of the support angle irons were so rusted that they crumbled when I applied a little pressure on them with my boot. But the load-bearing members were solid & this was the real strength of the bridge. "1906" was a date on a cast-iron plate along with the name & address of the manufacturer. I immediately began picturing the scene form one hundred years ago... at this very spot. "They must have carried in the bridge in a CKD condition on a horse-drawn wagon," I thought to myself. "And that's where the set up camp..." my mind continued building the images of the past.

"Fish!!!" I heard Raoul shout. I walked onto the bridge to watch him reel in a nice one & a half pound Rainbow Trout as Michael in a gentle voice, gave him advice and instructions. And then Michael was into a huge fish. He fought it for a full fifteen minutes and successfully landed a five pound Rainbow.

Both the fish were 'keeping size' and we put them on a fish stringer before tossing them back into the water to stay fresh. Bridges are always good fishing spots and this old one too proved to be no exception to the rule. The two fishermen continued downstream while I stayed at the bridge keeping an eye on the catch.

Waiting under the bridge, I collected litter as a pastime and I soon had a nice little heap of empty beer bottles & cans. Exploring a further fifty feet, I found a bottle of Salmon Egg bait but, knowing what to expect if I opened it, I kept the bottle tightly sealed. Discarded fishing line & a broken fish stringer were soon added to the little pile under the bridge as was the wooden mouthpiece of a cigarillo. Now, with nothing better to do than wait for the two fishermen to return, I dug a hole in the ground a little away from the creek and buried my collection.

Raoul & Michael returned without any further catch but the three of us had no complaints. Two fish for the table were more that what we needed & the priceless experience of being so close to nature and the clean, fresh environment was more than a feast for the soul.

Rustam Bana wrote:
Navdeep,

It's a good idea to go to your local tackle store because they can guide and help you get started. Hopefully, they aren't the type who are just after your money.

Whilst there also check what fishing licences, if any, are applicable and ask them for contact details of the angling clubs in your area. A club would be a good place to learn the basics and see what sort of tackle is being used and for what.

Rustam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:55 am 
Fishaholic

What a nice writeup and pics, I can do anything for a day like that :)

Thanks Owen for posting that.

Inder

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:56 pm 

oops-deleted

Last edited by eljefe on Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:57 pm 

Owen-
Fish, noida, Patt??
Please let me have his contact details.I live in sec 50 Noida and I need help!
Asif

Post subject: Nice
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:07 pm 
Fishaholic

Lovely story, lovely fish.

Thank you for sharing,

Ryan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:59 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks Patt, for the story and the pics and Owen for posting it.

Expect to have Eljefe knocking at your door any day now. :wink:

Rustam

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:56 am 

Hey People,

I just saw the post a few minutes ago; thanks for the replies & it's nice to know that the world still has some like-minded people!

I thought it would be prudent to make some small corections to Owen's 'intro' on me...

I live in DLF Phase III, Gurgaon, Haryana.

I work in NOIDA Phase II, UP.

I fish whenever I can spare the time from work...

I do take people out fishing in North India, and try & build up a group of six to eight fishermen - add-on's like non-fishing persons & kids can be accomodated but the North Indian rivers/fishing spots get crowded with more than 6-rods on the water.

I put together the transport, camping equipment & the camp staff & try and plan the outing for a whole week or, say Friday evening out of Delhi & the following week Sunday back to Delhi.

Here, we fish for Mahseer in the spring season, i.e. Holi +/- two weeks & after the rains i.e. Dushera +/- two weeks, with a month + of trout fishing available in June/July.

The 'secret' fishing spots?

1. Pancheshwar on the River Kali in Uttaranchal - not very far from Champawat wher Jim Corbett shot his maneater.
2. The River Ram Ganga in the area of Corbett Park, Uttaranchal
3. The River Ganga at Bayabsghat, upstream from Rishikesh
4. The River Tons in Uttaranchal
5. The River Tirthan in Himachal.

If you look at a map & pin-point the mentioned spots, you'll understand the reason for needing a full clear week at a minimum to enjoy the outing if moving in & out of Delhi. Also, while 1, 2 & 3 are Mahseer fishing rivers, 4 & 5 are nice Trout streams.

The River Jamuna in the vicinity of NOIDA is so polluted that even if you put a live fish into it the fish would try & jump right back out & take its chances of survival on land!

My mobile phone number is + 9810007396 & is usually always on.

Totally non-profit - I total up the cost & divide it by the number of participants.

It averages out to approx. Rs.1500 per head per day inclusive of everything - i.e. transport, all meals, use of camping equipment, fishing licence, cost of camp staff, cost of rafts & other equipment that may be required to be hired for a particular trip.

We only catch-and-release every and any fish that is hooked.

All the best & tight tines

Pat

Patrick Kerr
T-21/7A
DLF III
Gurgaon 122002
Haryana, India.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:32 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey Patt,

Real nice story and cool pix 8)

i visit Gurgaon at least a couple of times a year. Planning to go there at the end of the year to meet up with my brother.
Will catch up with you and am sure we can make plans to catch a few fish too !!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:28 am 

Hi Pat ,

Was chatting with Asif yesterday and we were pretty keen on making a trip out sometime soon.

Do let me know if you have any trips coming up and can accomodate another two rods ( Asif & Self )

Cheers Rohit.
Mob : 98 183 12602

Post subject: Fishing trips
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:15 pm 

Hey Rohit,

Nice talking to you earlier today.

Yeah, lets fish together though I don't think we can do anything till October.

But let stay in touch & meet up one of these days.

Pat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:22 pm 

Thanks Gavin & sure, give me a call whenever you're in Gurgaon next.

Pat

[quote="Gavin Ridge Cooke"]Hey Patt,

Real nice story and cool pix 8)

i visit Gurgaon at least a couple of times a year. Planning to go there at the end of the year to meet up with my brother.
Will catch up with you and am sure we can make plans to catch a few fish too !!![/quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:46 pm 

Hey People,

This story has just made it to Adventure World's latest issue - September 2006.

Check your local news stands for a copy of the mag - it's got a whole lot of good other reading on adventure sports & the great outdoors.

Pat

a.k.a. Big Mahseer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:21 am 
Site Admin

Hey Pat,

Is this an Indian mag?

Bops

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:08 pm 

Yeah Bops,

Published & edited by Vikram Bhatnagar.

www.adventureworld.co.in

Email; info@adventureworld.co.in & adventureworld@gmail.com

BTW, Vikram shoots double trap on the Indian team & got himself a silver medal at the 2006 Commonwealth Games in Melbourne.

Pat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:37 pm 
Fishaholic

Good on you Pat!
Regards
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:52 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Pat,

Had a look at the magazine. Great initiative I'm really happy that India now has it's own adventure mag!

I'm subscribing today.

Bops

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:35 pm 

Bops,

Address the subscription to Rajkamal A Silvano, he's my buddy at Adventure World.

Give him my reference & maybe you'll like to get them to carry a story on the Indian Angler Forum & Cauvery fishing?

Just a thought...

Pat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:53 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Pat,

Sounds good will do that. Do you think you could mention our forum at the end of your next article in the magazine?

Bops

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:32 pm 

I'll do that

No hassles... if you read the editorial in the new edition, you'll see that they're stepping up the pace of publication to a monthly frequency...

Pat

Post subject: Pat kerr's postings
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:14 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Pat,
Really enjoyed your stories---All of them. Keep her going mate.! Also, your willingness to help shines thru'. Cheers, Glenn