->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:57 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: PICS from Pakistan
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:56 am 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:30 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Sam,
the pics have not come

Cheers,
Apoo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:17 pm 
Fishaholic

Starting trouble! :lol:
Hey Sam! Bops has posted instructions on Forum rules for uploading pictures. Follow them and avoid the 3 prong :lol:
Regards
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:50 pm 
Fishaholic

This was a coomon carp @ Mangla Dam built on the river Jehlum

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:09 pm 
Fishaholic

Owen wrote:
Starting trouble! :lol: Regards
Owen

Tell me about it ... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:23 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Shaphan

Your post was edited to correct the images. Please read the image posting instructions which can be found under the Image Gallery section.

Bopanna

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:09 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Sam,

Nice pis. All for the pot or for release?

Hi Bops,
Thanks for the Good work. Was waiting to see pics of Pakistan.

Cheers,
Apoo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:13 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Sam,

Could you post more pics? I would like to see nice outdoor pics like rivers, mountains, sceneries etc from your place. The size of the previous pics were quite small to study the places around you.

Cheers,
Apoo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:06 pm 
Fishaholic

Will post more pics.

I actually resized the pics thats why they are bit small LOL :D

Will post the pics of the scenery as well

Once I learn the process of Uploading the pics

Bombs Away

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:17 am 
Fishaholic

Resize pictures to 800*600 (Medium size)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:01 am 
Fishaholic

Agree with Owen, the pictures are far too small to properly apprecate :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:57 am 
Fishaholic

Phew, finally managed to upload the pics. I hope they pose a better viewing

This was a 15 Kg Common Carp @ Mangla (29 Jan 07)

2.5 Kg Common Carp @ Mangla Dam (29 Dec 2006)

3 Kg Singhara @ Mangla ( 29 Jan 07)

Mangla Dam View

Carp @ Tarbella

In the Launch at Tarbela going to the inlet of the river sirin

Friend (Ishrat) with singhara @ Mangla

Masheer @ Tarbela

View of Mangla

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:06 am 
Enlightened

Nice Pics Shaphan...Keep them coming....!!!

| Cheers
| Sreekanth Soman
|
|
|
¿ < º)))))><

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:19 am 
Fishaholic

Nice pics.

We want more

Cheers,
Apoo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:51 am 
Site Admin

Nice pics!

Can you describe the techniques you use for carping? How long do you groundbait?

What happened to the mahseer in the pic? Do you guys kill all the mahseer you catch?

Bopanna

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:04 pm 
Fishaholic

Stunning pictures mate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:47 pm 
Enlightened

Great pictures, now i can see why some guys are happy to hang out there!
Cheers!
Peter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:04 pm 
Fishaholic

Great pics, Shaphan,

Man, that's a good carp!

What's with the fishing in the NOrthern areas? Trout around the Wakhan corridor, Chitral, Hunza?
Been there yet?

Cheers

Vedan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:13 pm 

Looks like youguys have a great thing going Shaphan,
Nice catch keep on doing it .What about the rigs/tackle/bait used?Pl give us more details
Best
Axx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:42 pm 
Fishaholic

Bopana,

Actulaly that masheer was not caught by me. That masheer was caught by the commercial fisherman (contractor) @ Tarbella. U can Judge from the PIC that the condition isn't very good. I just took the picture to post at our local site to let every1 know the precarious situation at our local water resources, reflecting the plight of this majestic fish.

We dont catch many Msheer but as for Masheer the thing is Catch and Release. masheer are under immense pressure. Masheer are only caught at selective places now and the number is dimishing dy by day due to loss of habitat, commercial fishing, pollution, poaching and introduction of new species into there habitat. As far as Carp (Common/Chinese) we dont release them as already there a nuisance. They breed twice to thrice a year and grow rapidly. As for the local indigenous species particulalry Masheer catch and release is the order of the day.

As far as Ground baiting, we do a considerable bit, use sweet corn, or a mixture of Herbs with Rice and Pulses (dal) to keep the carp attracted.

Use various types of bait ranging from Worms, Corn, Flour (atta) and u guys wont believe this dead bait for carp @ Tarbella ( only Chinese or common carp), pieces of chilwas ( Small Fish). :o

For masheer we use live bait Luriya (small fish masheer feed on) and Chilwas ( Small Silver fish ). Also use spinners and spoons fro Masheer and other predatory fish :P

As far as trout fishing, yes been to the northern parts ( Not latley). They are numerous spots. Thers Kaghan valley ( River Kunhar) and lakes Saif-ul-mulk. Swat (River Swat) and Mau Dand. Chitrlal, Hunza and Gilgit. But trout fishing commences End of April to Septemeber.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:05 pm 
Fishaholic

Well done Shaphaana.

Vedan,

Im from Chitral and Ive done quite a bit of trout fishing throughout the North.

In Chitral we have the Lot-Kuh river which was stocked with trout from Kashmir in the forties. The fishing is average though, not many fish but the ones you do catch average around a pound.

By far the best area to fish for trout in Pakistan though is District Ghizer, between Chitral and Gilgit. I know a few lakes where they average at around four pounds. The lakes in Baltistan are also quite good.

All of the trout in Chitral and the Northern Areas are Brown Trout of the Loch Leven strain. Rainbows were introduced in the seventies but they never caught on. You do find plenty of rainbows in private ponds throughout the north. Most owners also let you fish for them, great fun on light tackle and also fry them for you.

The fishing in Swat and Kaghan has severely deteriorated over the past few decades, but unlike the North Rainbows did catch on in those rivers.

You metioned the Wakhan, most of the streams that flow from the glaciers along the Chitral-Wakhan border are too silty and thus do not contain trout.

As a child I did go fishing in Badakhshan in Northern Afghanistan and although the fish averaged at around six inches I can say that Ive caught the Oxus Trout, the Southwestern most native strain of Brown Trout.

I havent done much trout fishing in the past few years as my interest in angling declined and since I spent a few years abroad. Im keen as ever again now and Ive (more or less) learned how to fly-fish, so I'll be out after the trout with a vengeance this summer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:22 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Ali,

Great to know you're from Chitral.
My grandfather was in the RAMC, posted at Quetta and seconded for a few years to the then Chitral Scouts as a medic back in the early '30s- I think the regiment is still alive. He's now in the Happy Hunting Grounds, but I still have his 'Pakol' and everytime I hold it, his stories start racing through my head and make me want to just get going....
He used to hunt markhor in some fabulous places- Grungol Nala and a couple of other spots. His battalion used to fish with grenades back then.
Amazing- my favourite trout river in Garhwal has Loch Leven browns, too, wild since the last stocking in the '20s.

I wish the world were a different place and if it were, your Northern Territories would be where you'd find me either fishing, trekking or playing polo out there.
Interesting about the Oxus trout- that's a new one for the books- what's the zoological name?

If ever you're in our part of the world, give us a shout and we'll see what we can do about your fishing with a vengeance.

Cheers and regards,

Vedan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:01 pm 
Fishaholic

Vedan,

You're practically family! I'll certainly let you know if Im ever headed your way.

The Chitral Scouts are still around and serve as the major institution in the district after Chitral State was merged into NWFP in 1969.

The Markhor and Ibex are not as plentiful as they were in your Grandfather's day but they're still around and a few foreign hunters come to shoot Markhor for about $40,000 a head each winter and this provides an incentive for conservation.

Polo is as strong as it ever was and the annual Shandur tournament between Gilgit and Chitral is the highlight of the year.

The streams running along the Shandur plateau also have some great trout fishing, although due to the altitude the fish do not grow very big, but catches of upto thirty fish a day are still not uncommon. The main reason why these streams still hold such vast numbers of trout is because the pass is blocked for over half the year, so the stocks recover from the meat fishermen armed with No.1 Mepps and the Pathan shopkeepers with their cast nets who frequent the plateau during the polo tournament.

Things are getting better though and the NA fisheries department now has an anuual crackdown on the netters during the tournament each year.

The Oxus Trout, Salmo Trutta Oxenesus, is quite common in Badakhshan, Tajikistan and Kyrgyzstan. It looks just like a Brown Trout but rarely acquires a dark brown colouration and is usually silver.

If the Geo-Political reality in our part of the world were different today one could fish for Loch Levens in the Lot-Kuh in Chitral in the morning and camp by the Aab-e-Dorah in Badakhshan catching Oxus Trout in the evening.

Luckily I was able to experience this before things got mucked up. We had to bribe a few Northern Alliance Commanders though...with tinned Banaspati Ghee and Punjabi Atta.

Regards,

Ali A.K.A Fateh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:31 pm 
Fishaholic

Ali

You've got a pm...

cheers

V.