->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:42 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:07 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Everyone,

Here are a few pics taken on the last weekend (13th & 14th April) here in Dubai.

Sorry about the clarity of the pics on the first trip as they were taken by a mobile phone camera.

This one is a queenie

The next one is a 'Silver Grunt' also caught on my first trip.

And here is a pic of a wierd looking 'Tripod Fish'. Caught 2 of them which I returned to the water.

These pics were taken on my second trip (Saturday 14th April)

Sherri (arabic) / Eng: Spangled Emperor

these fish are a pest & are very common.

and here is the catch of Trip 2 (1 .5 hrs fishing only) 1no Silver Grunt & 25nos Sherri

I have not mentioned the weight anywhere as a lot of people say 4-5-6 lbs / kgs, when they look like just 1-2kg....so please judge for yourself.

Warm regards,
Keyur

Last edited by Keyur on Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:59 pm 
Fishaholic

Nice Pictures..

The first fish is a Queen Fish..

Tripod Fish = Trigger fish

:-)

Call you when I am in Dubai next time

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:47 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Keyur,

Nice fish.

Cheers,
Apoo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:50 pm 
Fishaholic

Bobby wrote:
Nice Pictures..

The first fish is a Queen Fish..

Tripod Fish = Trigger fish

:-)

Call you when I am in Dubai next time

You're right about the queen fish.

But Tripod & trigger fish are entirely different.

The full name is : short-nosed Tripodfish (Chissii in arabic). It's scientific name is: Triacanthus Biaculeatus

You can give me a buzz when your here. My Mob no is: +97150 4538208

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:12 pm 
Site Admin

Good stuff, Keyur.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:02 pm 
Enlightened

Good fishing mate....!! Keep going...
[smilie=coolup.gif]

| Cheers
| Sreekanth Soman
|
|
|
¿ < º)))))><

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:31 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Keyur,

Will give you a buzz, need to catch a queenie :lol:

Trapods, Leather jackets, Triggers and Puffers are all related fish, they are not totally different, they all are from the order Tetraodontiformes

But yes you are right, they are different fish :lol:

Which is the fish where you have said "No Idea"? Was it the queenie? You have listed all the names down..

Post subject: Dubai Catch
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:48 pm 
Fishaholic

Well done Keyur! You look like you are having a ball with that nice haul of fish you caught mate! A perfact way to spend a couple of days. By the way those 'pest fish', where you show a double header, look like iodine bream. They can inflict a painful wound if not handled correctly as I have found out, and now know why they call them 'Happy Moments' here in Oz!!! Hope you ate the trigger fish as under that ugly exterior they have a very firm and tasty flesh, almost bone free.Congratulations again on your big catch.Fish Molee! dhopa, fried fish, etc etc!!Good one!
Cheers,
Glenn

Post subject: Re: Dubai Catch
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:44 pm 
Fishaholic

Glenn Todd wrote:
Well done Keyur! You look like you are having a ball with that nice haul of fish you caught mate! A perfact way to spend a couple of days. By the way those 'pest fish', where you show a double header, look like iodine bream. They can inflict a painful wound if not handled correctly as I have found out, and now know why they call them 'Happy Moments' here in Oz!!! Hope you ate the trigger fish as under that ugly exterior they have a very firm and tasty flesh, almost bone free.Congratulations again on your big catch.Fish Molee! dhopa, fried fish, etc etc!!Good one!
Cheers,
Glenn

Hi Glen,

The pest fish are supposed to be commercially important here in the UAE. They are called Sherii in Arabic & Spangled Emperor in English. They grow much bigger in size, but those are only caught by net in deeper waters.

I didnt eat the tripod fish as it looked too darn disgusting & I wont take any chances in this part of the world as far as health is concerned. I released them back into the waters.

Not tried making fish moel here. Most of it is fried with different masalas :o)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:47 pm 
Fishaholic

Bobby wrote:
Hi Keyur,

Will give you a buzz, need to catch a queenie :lol:

Trapods, Leather jackets, Triggers and Puffers are all related fish, they are not totally different, they all are from the order Tetraodontiformes

But yes you are right, they are different fish :lol:

Which is the fish where you have said "No Idea"? Was it the queenie? You have listed all the names down..

HI Bobby,
the no idea one was the queenie. Was the first time I pulled one. Only heard of them, hadent seen them before.

Post subject: Pest fish
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:35 am 
Fishaholic

Hello Keyur, the fish I am referring to are the ones in your 5th photo from the top. Not the spangled emperors in the keeper bag/net. You have two on the line, one on the top hook and one on the bottom---mottly light brown and silver/white. They are called "Happy Moments" here in Queensland because they can give you a painful wound if not handled right., inspite of them being small fish!. I found out the hard way in 1983 when we first moved to Brisbane. I believe they are very tasty and the Maoris love them, sometimes fishing exclusively for them on the Sunshine coast where they are found in abundance all along the foreshore.
Good catch none-the-less!!
Cheers,
Glenn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:41 am 
Fishaholic

I know someone else called "Happy Moments" and it's certainly not pain related :wink:

Post subject: Re: Pest fish
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:17 am 
Fishaholic

Glenn Todd wrote:
Hello Keyur, the fish I am referring to are the ones in your 5th photo from the top. Not the spangled emperors in the keeper bag/net. You have two on the line, one on the top hook and one on the bottom---mottly light brown and silver/white. They are called "Happy Moments" here in Queensland because they can give you a painful wound if not handled right., inspite of them being small fish!. I found out the hard way in 1983 when we first moved to Brisbane. I believe they are very tasty and the Maoris love them, sometimes fishing exclusively for them on the Sunshine coast where they are found in abundance all along the foreshore.
Good catch none-the-less!!
Cheers,
Glenn

HI Glenn,

sorry to dissappoint you. The ones on the line are the same ones in the net bag...lol 'Spangled Emperor' again. :lol:

Atleast these have something in common with your 'Happy Moments' ....they are quite tasty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:55 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Glenn,

Look like Spangled Emperor to me as well, you guys call them Yellow Sweetlip down under. The freshly caught, prior death colouring in Sub Adults is what probably got you.

Regards,

Bobby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:16 pm 
Fishaholic

Bobby wrote:
Sweetlip down under.
[smilie=meow.gif]

[smilie=beadygrinner.gif] [smilie=beadygrinner.gif]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:02 pm 
Fishaholic

[quote="Bobby"]Hi Glenn,

Look like Spangled Emperor to me as well, you guys call them Yellow Sweetlip down under. The freshly caught, prior death colouring in Sub Adults is what probably got you.

Regards,

Bobby[/quote]

Hi Bobby, check out your fish books and see what you find under Bream,Iodine. Will be interested to know. Thanks,
Glenn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:37 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Glenn,

According to my books, there are 3 types of Iodine Bream..

1) Collared Sea Bream Gymnocranius bitorquatus

2) Maori Sea-Bream Gymnocranius robinsoni

3) Paddle-Tailed Sea-Bream Gymnocranius affinis

An adult Collared Sea-Bream looks similar to the Yellow Sweetlip/Spangled Emperor, the way to distinguish between the two in my eyes is that the snout/forehead between the upper lip and the eyes tends to have a slight dip on the Sweetlip and the same is rounded on the Collarad Sea Bream. However bear in mind this is comparing pictures of the two not actual fish side by side.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:08 pm 
Fishaholic

Hello again Bobby,

That was quick Bobby! I believe I may be looking at the Maori bream or Gymnocranius Robinsoni being the one with the poisonous sting which causes it to be called 'Happy Moments' here in Queensland and no doubt the Maoris liking of this fish as mentioned in previous posts above. Only a guess. As you say they would be best identified lying side by side. Thanks.
By the way this site should be honoured to have a person of your fish/fishing knowledge [ The walking Fish encyclopedia!] who,most importantly, is so willing to help at all times.You are a good man Bobby! And thanks again!
Cheers,
Glenn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:12 pm 
Fishaholic

No worries Glen, and thanks for those very flattering words. I get a kick out of ID'ing fish :lol: so it is far from an issue with me.

Just behind the chair where I sit and work there is a bookshelf full of Angling Books, Marine Creatures and Fish ID books, that's why the response is quick, I have been through those books so many times I can most of the time recognize the fish and only need to refer to the books for the scientific names.

None of these fish (above) are reported to have a painful sting, however the name "Happy Moments" has been awarded to:

1)Barred Spinefoot – Siganus Doliatus – From the Rabbitfish Family

2)Black Spinefoot – Siganus Spinus - Again from the Rabbitfish Family

Looks like the fish you are probably referring to is the Black Spinefoot, as it is seemed to be liked by the ethnic population, its Aboriginal name is Mi-Mi.

Last edited by Bobby on Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:30 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:39 pm 
Fishaholic

Bobby wrote:
Just behind the chair where I sit and work there is a bookshelf full of Angling Books, Marine Creatures and Fish ID books, that's why the response is quick,

Are those other images you emailed us also behind the chair Bobster ??? :lol: :lol: :lol: Now I know why u work from home :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:22 am 
Fishaholic

Thanks again Bobby,
Lovely photos. The fish I refer to looks exactly like the 2nd pic you posted but is a dark beigey brown and mottled. The biggest I have seen is a bit larger than an average size palm [man's].It must be the black spinefoot like you say. Good hobby!
Kind regards,
Glenn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:38 am 
Fishaholic

Fredfish wrote:
Are those other images you emailed us also behind the chair Bobster ??? :lol: :lol: :lol: Now I know why u work from home :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Yes Fred, I have a couple of bookshelves behind where I sit to work. One is full of miscellaneous books and the other filled with books on Angling etc. On the top shelf of the Miscellaneous Book Shelf are some albums from where I did out a few pictures from time scan and post them when I am not so busy.

Glen, Rabbit fish are very popular in Hong Kong for what I like to call “Sunday Fishing” the locals here foul hook these critters, they have a specialized hook here that they use, its like a circular (rupee coin sized) piece of lead with a loop in the center to where you tie the line, all around this piece of lead are barb-less hooks that are welded into the led so that if you look from the top it looks like a flower. They tie the bait on top of this hook to the line, mostly bread and foul hook the fish when they come to feed off the bread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:15 pm 
Fishaholic

The 'Tripod Fish' is a common cast net catch in the estuaries of Goa. I've not seen one that size fron India though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:01 am 
Fishaholic

I think Pereko had posted a picture of a Tripod fish sometime back that he caught in Goa.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:54 am 
Fishaholic

here are a couple of pics where I used to fish in Sharjah (breakwaters)

Cought this little fello on a hook as big as his head.....a nice colourful looking fello. Not sure, but seems like a mud skipper.

here are a couple of pics from my last trip last friday in Dubai

It seems that I was the first person fishing there to get 2 silver grunts on the same line

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:03 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Keyur,

Nice pics.

Cheers,
Apoo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:36 am 
Enlightened

Those backwaters look great.
Nice pics mate....!!!

| Cheers
| Sreekanth Soman
|
|
|
¿ < º)))))><

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:01 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Keyur,

Nice pictures mate, my sister lives in Sharjah, everytime I am there and I drive past if feel like casting a line in those same waters on the pictures. Does any one fish with lures on that stretch?

That fish is a Goby Possibly at Cryptocentrus cinctus or a Cryptocentrus fasciatus

Colourful Chap..

Bobby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:42 am 
Site Admin

Hi Keyur,

What bait are you using while baitfishing?

Bops

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:19 pm 
Fishaholic

IndianAngler wrote:
Hi Keyur,

What bait are you using while baitfishing?

Bops

Hi Bops,

while bait fishing I use only shrimp (what we call prawns in India). Last saturday I went to Jumeirah @ 5 am & realised my shrimp was frozen, so I decided to give it a quick thaw in the micro. Before I knew it, I had cooked prawns. I managed to catch a few small spangled Emperor on this, of which I retained one, cut of a piece of it & cast it. In a matter of mins I was batteling with some big guy (most probably hamour). The chap went into the rocks & my 28lb line snapped :cry:

Anyway, for me its shrimp /prawns.

Some guys use squid, but that attracts catfish & its not something I am interested in catching. Besides, squid being much harder, I would have to strike harder.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:26 pm 
Fishaholic

Bobby wrote:
Hi Keyur,

Nice pictures mate, my sister lives in Sharjah, everytime I am there and I drive past if feel like casting a line in those same waters on the pictures. Does any one fish with lures on that stretch?

That fish is a Goby Possibly at Cryptocentrus cinctus or a Cryptocentrus fasciatus

Colourful Chap..

Bobby

Hi Bobby,

Sharjah is quite an interesting place to fish in. Earlier I used to fish near the transmission tower, but for the past 2 months the fishermen have been pulling nets everyday. Thats when I chaged spots & went to the break waters. The breakwaters are quite interesting with a wide variety of fish being caught. I have caught bream, angel fish, snappers, catfish, khofer, spangled emperor etc there. Very often I have seen kingfish enter the breakwaters, but have not seen anyone catch them. No one uses lures there, although I have caught a lure (someone elses line ) which was abandoned. A friend of mine has taken quite a few pics of me fishing & the fish I caught there, but he has moved back to Goa. he is supposed to send me the pics & as soon as I get them I will upload them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:29 pm 
Fishaholic

I would definately be interested in Queens, they should readly take lures, give it a go. Majenta seems to be a preferred colour with them.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:01 pm 

hai..

i am also from dubai so where is ur fishing spots in dubai i do wanna catch fish lke u ....pleasse let me knw thanks

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:40 pm 
Fishaholic

jijin wrote:
hai..

i am also from dubai so where is ur fishing spots in dubai i do wanna catch fish lke u ....pleasse let me knw thanks

Hello Keyur :oops: :oops: :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: And while you are at it let me know your bank balance and account number, credit card numbers and if you could be so kind a sample copy of your singnature... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:13 pm 
Fishaholic

hahahahahahahaahahahahahaha You forgot girlfriend's birthday!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:55 pm 
Fishaholic

:!: How did I missed this post. Great fishing mate and very informative discussion. :wink: :lol:

Regards,

Ali.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:56 pm 
Fishaholic

Alibhai's interests are now getting varied I must say :))))))

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:00 pm 
Fishaholic

Fredfish wrote:

Every one and every thing evolve with the time. :lol: :lol:

Regards,

Ali.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:38 pm 
Fishaholic

Bobby wrote:
jijin wrote:
hai..

Hello Keyur :oops: :oops: :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: And while you are at it let me know your bank balance and account number, credit card numbers and if you could be so kind a sample copy of your singnature... :wink:

Hi Jijin......sorry pal, I dont know who you are. You could start by introducing yourself & then maybe sometime in the future we could meet up.
'X' marks the spot :lol:

Hey Bobby .......there isnt much bank balance ...... 'The Lord giveth & the Government taketh away' :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:42 pm 
Fishaholic

Fredfish wrote:

Yeah.....he's losing his identity. Probably in the transformation stage..... [smilie=thatworks.gif]

He is turning into a salty [smilie=ohyeah.gif]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:18 pm 
Fishaholic

[quote

He is turning into a salty [smilie=ohyeah.gif][/quote]

U bet ... I initiated him at 1 am at Nandgoan station with SMirnoff in a Bisleri bottle with warm water in it , cold sandwiches , listening to Radio Mirchi with a Marathi RJ .... hes never been the same again ... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Like Alibhjai says ''' everyone Evolves "

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:46 pm 
Fishaholic

Fredfish wrote:
[quote

U bet ... I initiated him at 1 am at Nandgoan station with SMirnoff in a Bisleri bottle with warm water in it , cold sandwiches , listening to Radio Mirchi with a Marathi RJ .... hes never been the same again ... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Like Alibhjai says ''' everyone Evolves "[/quote]

three cheers for conversion i would say or evolution :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:46 am 
Fishaholic

Mahaseerken wrote:
hahahahahahahaahahahahahaha You forgot girlfriend's birthday!

Oh yes, that one too, please pass all these details to Alice as well... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:54 pm 
Fishaholic

rajatmukherje wrote:
Fredfish wrote:
[quote

Like Alibhjai says ''' everyone Evolves "

three cheers for conversion i would say or evolution :lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote]

Evolution for sure. Being a freshwater guy all my life I just wonder whether he is moving up or down the ladder. hahahhahahaahahahaha Could not resist it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:03 pm 
Fishaholic

Well they did say the first mamals walked out of the Sea, depends on which way you look it it. And then some walked back into it..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:45 am 
Fishaholic

Bobby wrote:
Well they did say the first mamals walked out of the Sea, depends on which way you look it it. And then some walked back into it..

:lol: :wink:

Ali.

Just to sum it up, Fresh water fishing is like my wife and the saltwater fishing is like a girl friend and a new one in this case. So-- you can understand it guys. :wink:

:lol:

Ali.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:22 pm 
Fishaholic

angler_ali wrote:
Bobby wrote:

Ali.

Just to sum it up, Fresh water fishing is like my wife and the saltwater fishing is like a girl friend and a new one in this case. So-- you can understand it guys. :wink:

Ali.

fantastically put my friend :wink: :wink: :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:57 am 
Fishaholic

Ali its good that the Wife accepts the Girl friend ha ha..................Fishing is a passion no one can take it away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:53 am 
Fishaholic

That is why estuary fishing is turbulent at times, where the wife meets the girlfriend....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:24 am 
Fishaholic

angler_ali wrote:
Bobby wrote:

Ali.

Ali.

I have no idea what this means. hahahaahahahahaah