->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:05 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:23 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:39 pm 
Fishaholic

Lovely fish!

What sort of fight does a Nile Perch put up?

The third pic...are those golden mahseer and what's the location - don't recognise the structures in the background.

Rustam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:53 pm 
Fishaholic

Looks like Utaranchal to me...

Inder

Post subject: Fish Handling
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:08 pm 
Fishaholic

This is about those 2 masheer in the last of the 3 pictures. Real nice fish, pity the people in the picture holding them were not informed on fish handling.
Regards
Owen
Rustam Bana wrote:
Lovely fish!

What sort of fight does a Nile Perch put up?

The third pic...are those golden mahseer and what's the location - don't recognise the structures in the background.

Rustam

Post subject: Reply
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:26 pm 

The Nile Perch does put on a good fight. Its a awesome sight to see a big fish leap out of the water trying to throw the hook . These were all caught on 20 Ib braid using big rapalas.

As for the two Mahseer and fish handling, in Rome do as the romans do.
Across the river , which is Nepal , we saw a Nepalese fisherman catch a bigger Mahseer ,maybe about 40 pounds , pull it out gaff it and carry it home to eat. ____Now that is bad fish handling.
All the fish that you see were caught ,revivied and released.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:51 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi hotshot,

You say that the fish were revived.
Dude, if someone hung me the way the fish were hanging, I'd be anything but revived :shock:

Post subject: nice fish
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:43 pm 
Fishaholic

Dear Hotshot,

Wonderful fish and amazing nile perch but for whatever its worth, the mahseer would get damaged if they were carried on gill ropes like that. I mean no disrespect (Ive damaged a few fish in my time unintentionally) but with respect to any hook caught fish meant for release the rule is that they are never to be lifted out of the water on a gill rope and that the whole body has to be supported by both arms if the fish is large. The fish is to be taken wholly out of water for just an instant and should be kept in the water or half in the water at all times if possible.

Best regards,

Ryan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:07 am 
Fishaholic

Dear Hotshot,

I am afraid that I must agree with the esteemed (or is it steamed?) members who have taken issue with the unnecessary and wanton slaughter of these fine fish.

Knowing the physiology of Barbus Tor Putitora, the manner in which they have been suspended would collapse the Afferent Branchial Artery and cause irreversible damage to the Bulbus Ateriosus. Revival after that would need Divine Intervention.

That is why I have always insisted that the many Masheer I have caught be handled only in the water briefly and immediately released. Although strictly not a Jain, I believe in Karma. Please remember that fishing does not mean irresponsible annihilation. Please do not misunderstand.

By the by, I have heard that because of their predatory nature Nile Perch are thriving in certain brackish waters in Bangladesh. Do you fish there frequently? Very nice pictures though.

Regards,

Mm

Post subject: Re: Reply
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:59 am 
Fishaholic

Not the way i see it mate! There is a difference between angling and fishing for ones livelyhood.
Regards
Owen
hotshot wrote:
The Nile Perch does put on a good fight. Its a awesome sight to see a big fish leap out of the water trying to throw the hook . These were all caught on 20 Ib braid using big rapalas.

As for the two Mahseer and fish handling, in Rome do as the romans do.
Across the river , which is Nepal , we saw a Nepalese fisherman catch a bigger Mahseer ,maybe about 40 pounds , pull it out gaff it and carry it home to eat. ____Now that is bad fish handling.
All the fish that you see were caught ,revivied and released.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:01 pm 

Hi wolf,
Thats not a gill strung fish. A small cut in the top lip membrane and the stringer is inserted there. This is done in most big game fishing areas around the world. In fact nile perch and tarpon, which are brought in are gaffed at the lip thru and thru. , lifted into the boat ,photographed weighed and later released.
Strangely, the bigger Mahseer in the photo at 37 pounds was caught again a day later and showed no sign of any distress.
IN fact the Cauvery Mahseer are usually gill strung by the guides and that leads to a few casualties.
regards.
hotshot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:16 pm 

Dear mystic maral, or should i say mistake maral,
I know for a fact you are neither a doctor ,have caught no mahseer and have no knowledge on this great sport of mahseer fishing, so why are you on my case?
You are also mis informing this elite forum, on Nile Perch in Bangladesh.Perch are only found in the Nile systems in fresh water. But then again what can we expect from a Texas boy with a bit of book knowledge living next to Bass Pro.
As for Jainism and Karma......you eat all your Maral...so what are you preaching about.

Anyway....am off for my next adventure so will reply in 15 days time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:30 pm 
Fishaholic

Good luck hotshot, don't forget to bring back some nice pix.
Regards
Owen
hotshot wrote:
Dear mystic maral, or should i say mistake maral,
I know for a fact you are neither a doctor ,have caught no mahseer and have no knowledge on this great sport of mahseer fishing, so why are you on my case?
You are also mis informing this elite forum, on Nile Perch in Bangladesh.Perch are only found in the Nile systems in fresh water. But then again what can we expect from a Texas boy with a bit of book knowledge living next to Bass Pro.
As for Jainism and Karma......you eat all your Maral...so what are you preaching about.

Anyway....am off for my next adventure so will reply in 15 days time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:45 pm 
Fishaholic

Gill strung with a very soft rope and for not too long is the way to do it mate. After all the masheer is an endangered species. Didn't mean to kick up the dirt and start a row. So cool down guy's and let us give the Masheer a chance!
I am posting some pix of masheer i caught in days gone by. Rarely see that kind of action on the Cauvery these days.
Regards
Owen
hotshot wrote:
Hi wolf,
Thats not a gill strung fish. A small cut in the top lip membrane and the stringer is inserted there. This is done in most big game fishing areas around the world. In fact nile perch and tarpon, which are brought in are gaffed at the lip thru and thru. , lifted into the boat ,photographed weighed and later released.
Strangely, the bigger Mahseer in the photo at 37 pounds was caught again a day later and showed no sign of any distress.
IN fact the Cauvery Mahseer are usually gill strung by the guides and that leads to a few casualties.
regards.
hotshot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:48 am 
Fishaholic

Quote:
I know for a fact you are neither a doctor ,have caught no mahseer and have no knowledge on this great sport of mahseer

Dear Hotshot (or should I say Snotshot),

Now that you've blown my cover, you can make up by posting pictures of your tigerfish and that mysterious maral we've so often discussed over Ardbeg.

Take care in the Dark Continent.......I heard Botswana is famous for mambas.

oops......look what I found floating by (while I was fishing for maral, of course :lol: ):

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:23 am 
Fishaholic

Quote:
Didn't mean to kick up the dirt and start a row. So cool down guy's

Not to worry. Just taking the mickey out of a great nature lover, superlative sportsman, and my good friend: Hotshot (who really is a hotshot!!) Plus, he's landed several masheer over 70lbs, damn him!!

Regards,

Mm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:29 am 
Fishaholic

Beautiful fish, quite unusual colouring on the tail.
Looks like Galibori to me ? Right ?
Regards
Owen
mysticmaral wrote:
Quote:
Didn't mean to kick up the dirt and start a row. So cool down guy's

Not to worry. Just taking the mickey out of a great nature lover, superlative sportsman, and my good friend: Hotshot (who really is a hotshot!!) Plus, he's landed several masheer over 70lbs, damn him!!

Regards,

Mm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:14 am 
Site Admin

That's a lovely fish Jeff!

Post subject: lips and gills
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:45 am 
Fishaholic

Thank you Hotshot for that info. You learn something new everyday...

!

Ryan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:50 pm 
Fishaholic

You Know What Guys:

What you probably get in Bangladesh is Barramundi (Lates Calcarifer) a cousin of the Nile Perch (Lates niloticus). They are very similar fish almost identical. They share the same Genus, Class and order, the Nile Perch has a suborder Perecodi.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:51 am 
Fishaholic

Quote:
Regards
Owen

Actually, it was just upriver from Hathi Pool @ Bheemeshwari.

Mm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:47 pm 
Fishaholic

No wonder i have never seen that fish before. Don't go there too often.
Owen
mysticmaral wrote:
Quote:
Regards
Owen

Actually, it was just upriver from Hathi Pool @ Bheemeshwari.

Mm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:33 pm 

You know what guys,
Just the pics and the sheer knowledge pool being shared makes my day, being on this forum.
Thanks and Great job
Asif