->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:50 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:34 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Guy's,
It will be interesting to get pictures of mahseer from the various parts of India, and make a positive ID of them.

A variety of species if existing at a location should also be addressed.
The river name and approximate location will be important for documentation.

So far anglers are just classifying the fish by their colour, but there is much more to it than that.

We need to extend this to all other fresh water and salt water species.
Guys! Let us make a worth while contribution to this forum.

This study should be used as part of the proposed book.

Bops can we begin with some from malvalli.
Jeen - Some from Kerala
Mken / Vedan / - Northern waters
West - Anyone who can get pix of the various species being bred from the Tata Power hatcheries
East - Apoo & anyone else on the forum
Central India - Anyone with pix

Kaveri - We should have enough already in the way of mahseer, but anyone with something different in mahseer, or a species that has not already been discussed will be making a worthwhile contribution .

I have just named a few guys who can contribute, as they are in the thick of things, but i am sure that almost everyone on this forum can make a contribution.

Regards
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:02 pm 
Fishaholic

I will try my best to get the pics of the fishes out here from Assam. Gav can also contribute by posting some pics of Catlas and rohus.

Cheers,
Apoo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:15 pm 
Fishaholic

Starting out with an interesting fish from the kaveri.
Your first impression would be to say that it is a mahseer of the kudhree species, but look again at the anal fins which are pointed rather than rounded like a mahseer.
To me this looks like a river carp.
Any comments ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:15 pm 
Fishaholic

A friend of mine caught this one at Bhakra dam. it weighed 16kgs and was in prime shape.

Rod : An old 9ft abu
Reel : SureCatch
Line : 12lbs (it was a long fight)
Lure : small toby

The fish took the lure as it hit the water. The angler did not know and was waiting for the kure to sink a bit before starting the retrieve. He then saw the that the line was slipping off the reel very fast, much faster than a sinking toby could pull it. So he closed the bail. And all he broke lose.

Unfortunately the fish was not released.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:04 am 
Fishaholic

congratulations for this great thread owen buddy...
i'll post pics from my part...
regards :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:49 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Mken,
Is that a Tor Tor ?
Unfortunately the picture is not very clear, so it is hard to tell.
Sad that many anglers still see the mahseer as a fish for the table.
A really good fish to catch on 12 lb line, but the rod looks like it is built for heavier line.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:09 am 
Fishaholic

I think this is the red one. damn still can't get the names. Please can you give me a quick identification guide i.e. tor tor - yellow fins, slim body, ?s barbels, etc. It would be great for all us laymen.

Yup the fish was a beauty. About putting it on the table it is really sad. The guy in the pix and I put up a pretty strong case to release it but the local netters refused to let us. they claimed that the fish of this size reduce the fry and keep fish number low. I don't believe this crap but....

So the fish was cut up that evening. Half of it went to the owner of the dhaba where we stay. (it is a pretty slum trip). He made a pickle out of it. The other half was eaten as pakoras and curry by about 10 people. When they were butchering the fish i got them to cut and clean the stomach to see what it had been eating (yes I saw jaws). inside was fish, insects, pieces of shellfish and a lot of green stuff that i think was algae

Let me tell you I love eating fish, both fresh and saltwater. prepared anyway the mahseer does not taste very good.

Will take better pix the next time i am up there. Will also visit the morning fish mandi and take pix of the night's netting. I have seen some really big and strange fish there.

cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:15 am 
Fishaholic

If it is the red fin and if it is deep bodied, it could be the tor tor.
More and better pix of the same if you can Mken
Thanks
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:26 am 
Fishaholic

So let me see if i have got this right.
tor tor - deep body, red fins, slower water.
tor putitora - slim body, faster water, yellow fins.

speaking to the local fishermen I learnt one thing. they tell the sex of a fish by feeling for a barb/knob/bump on the inside of the pectoral fins. the funda being that the male has this to tickle and excite the female. Is this for real????

Forgot!

the rod was really old. perhaps 12 years or more. it has seen a lot of action. it has a soft whippy action. and casts light lures well.

the reel was not a SureCatch but an old Mitchell.

the line was 12lbs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:13 pm 
Site Admin

Guys this picture was sent to me by a friend and I don't know too many details except for the fact that these fish were caught on the Subansiri river in Assam.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:15 pm 
Fishaholic

wow thats one beutifull fish...was that on lure or bait?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:23 pm 
Site Admin

Both fish were on lure as can be seen from the pics.

Bops

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:31 pm 
Fishaholic

neat catch...now bops...im not into using a lure myself...so tell me...where exactly do u use a lure for masheer? close to white water or on still water? im a total novice only caught murrel on a lure so far..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:35 pm 
Fishaholic

:lol: :cry: :lol: :cry: :lol: :lol: :lol: :idea: :idea: Nice one Bops..

Owen,

Appreciate what you are trying to create here, it is an excellent idea but it will not really work as you want it to.

May I suggest that you take the pictures from this post and compile them somewhere and when you have them to your satisfaction, put them all labeled in sequence and make a post when done, so we will all have a quick reference guide to the various Mahseer species. You as owner of that thread will always have the ability to edit it and replace a picture with a better one if it happens to come along.

Alternately, you can create a post labled and wait till you find a suitable image to post under that heading.

BARBUS TOR
Image awaited

TOR TOR

Tor Tor (from Banglore, what ever location courtsey Bopanna Pattada) - assuming you have an imge posted below

Tor Tor (From Calcutta, location courtsey Gavin Cooke) -

So on and so forth

something like this would be very uniformed and fast to access by one and all. Also keeping the size of the images to a uniformed resolution would look very neat.

Regards,

Bobby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:46 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Bops,

Can you give me your friends details (if he stays in assam?) I would like to know where he stayed and the place where he fished. I am planning to go there on 14th of this month.

Cheers,
Apoo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:12 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Bops,
Thanks ! both those fish could be Putitora. I wish we had guys like Misty in on this.
Tor Tor - was supposed to be native to Rivers of central India like the Narmada / Sukta reservoir / Gandhi Sagar & Tungabadhra, but all that could have changed as ranch bred fingerlings have been released into waters that some species could have been alien to.

Yes i can see that it is heading for a watery grave Bobby. :lol:
Your suggestion taken, i am copying the pix and will put it on another thread in time to come.

Mken on the matter of telling the difference between males and females, there does not seem to be any laid down identification system.
Identification is easier in the spawning season but apart from that i too search for answers.

There is talk of smooth and rough gill plates in males and females, and worn and scraggy fins in females, but how do you recognise a female when they are still juviniles.

Studies already made show that among the juviniles the males are predominant. After the fish are in the region 16 to 40 mm the mortality rate of the males are very high (reason unknown), and could be why natural breeding is not working for the mussullah where most of the remaining fish are all over 40mm, and are likely to be females if the studies that have been done are accurate.
The same is applicable to the putitora and tor tor.

Looking for answers from Mark on the above
Regards
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:13 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Apoo

As I mentioned in my post I do not have any details, the pictures were forwarded to me by a friend who's friends - friend caught those fish! I have no idea who caught those fish or where the location is. All I know is that the angler is a tea planter and these fish were caught next to his estate.

Bops

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:22 pm 
Fishaholic

Lovely water and lovely fish ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:25 pm 
Fishaholic

That Assam mahseer is one hell of a fish. Interesting how putitora from murky waters are slightly faded in colour as compared to clearwater putitors.
Have dug up some old pics for species reference, will sccan and post soon.

Bops, how about an online species gallery somewhere on IA?

Cheers,
V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:46 pm 
Site Admin

Good idea Vedan, just waiting for more pics from members. Will then take the best and have a separate forum.

Bops

Post subject: eastern nepal mahseer
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:28 pm 

hi guys,

got this pic from a friend who in turn got it from a conservationist friend whose friend is the guy in the pic. all i know is the fish (19 kilos, tor putitora) was caught on the tamur river in eastern nepal in march 2000... and thank god, the fish are still in great numbers there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:25 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey Bops we really need a section like Mr Armchair fisherman proposed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:44 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Vedan,

Long time no see? After a long time you have posted an answer in the forum. Must be busy in the northern waters. Do post some stories and pics.

Cheers,
Apoo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:48 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Apoo,

Just got in from the Project, mate. Back in week, chasing catfish and trout this time.
Fred? Mr. Armchair fisherman?

Cheers,
V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:46 pm 
Fishaholic

Joke, nicknamed Bobby the Armchair fisherman :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:20 pm 
Fishaholic

Bops,

As per my post above, you can keep it a running thing and Freeze the post add appropriate pictures as they come.

Regards,

Bobby