->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:56 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: katla from bengal
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:09 am 
Fishaholic

i kno this one is small, as a new member here i want to ascend thru da ladder...this sweet fish weighs abt 2.5 kgms

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:46 am 
Fishaholic

At last a picture of a Katla..very nice

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:36 am 
Fishaholic

nice fish size dosent matter saikibryan do post type pf bait and tackle used
regards
riaz

Post subject: bait n tackle
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:54 am 
Fishaholic

bait i used was sweetcorn flour with spices, tackle was mustad chinu forgot the size...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:56 am 
Fishaholic

Hey Sai - Where was this catch taken from ?? Lal Dighi ???

Post subject: laldighi
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:59 am 
Fishaholic

no gavin it's bit outskirt from kolkata, it's on da kona expressway, santragachhi, big lake, laldighi doesn't have true katla or rohu anymore, i kno it's sad...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:06 am 
Fishaholic

Been to Sabtragacchi and fished there as well... I believe they are having a competition in May...
Sad about Lal Dighi, it had some fantastic fish.. But sadly due to overfishing and poaching, the tank has been literally raped... Fished there with my dad, while I was still in my Chaddis..

Anyhows, don't think I would be fishing anywhere else but at the Fort... Too good a place..

Post subject: fort
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:44 am 
Fishaholic

i'm excited hearin abt fort william so often gavin...hope to to there sometime...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:58 am 
Fishaholic

hey sai pls post name of the spices used and there qty
regards
riaz

Post subject: riaz
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:00 am 
Fishaholic

sorry bro, i don't even kno the names of them, it's been prepared by uncle who's a veteran, so can't help...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:42 am 
Fishaholic

Brilliant colour for a catla. I have seen mostly dark back catla so far.
What's with the head'n'shoulders shampoo satchet bryan ? Gave fishy a bath to bring out the glitter :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:01 am 
Fishaholic

Owen - The catlas are normally either black or blue... The one in Doc's picture is the Black catla. They grow faster and bigger and also more common.. The Blue catla is the Ganga Catla.. Its called the Blue Catla because the fins and tail is blue in colour. Even the body coluoring has a tinge of Blue on it... Haven't personally seen a Blue catla grow upto 10kgs plus but I am sure they do.. But definitely a more beautiful specimen than the Black catla..

Owen, Also notice the float and the lead sinker on the corner of his sitting mat.. Also check out the fibre glass rod... :wink:

Hey Doc Sai - Any chance of getting a pic of your reel :?:

Post subject: gavi
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:27 pm 
Fishaholic

thanx for the compli owen buddy, n gavi i told ya i'm new to this things, so no imported stuff, hav a plan 2 collect them in near future, ya ppl r there to help me out, i use UC Karmakar as reel, i guess ya must b knowing that

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:37 pm 
Fishaholic

What is a Kamakar reel? Is it one of those Navy reels?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:09 pm 
Fishaholic

Karmakar is Owen's old friend from Cal :twisted: :lol: :twisted:

But seriously, Karmakar is an old tackle shop in Cal and he makes his own reels with his name engraved on the side.. These are the old drum reels from the primitive era, which we guys in East still use and which most of you have never seen and am pretty sure not used also.. They look identical to the ABU multipliers, minus all the fancy gears and drags..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:29 pm 
Fishaholic

can you post a pix of one of these reels. and a bit on how you cast, etc. the last time i saw one of these reels, atleast i think it was one, the guy stripped of about 50mtrs of the reel, threw the bamboo rod on the ground, swung the line around and cast with his hand.

Incidently he always caught a lot of fish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:32 pm 
Fishaholic

That's the way it is done, Mken..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:17 pm 
Fishaholic

Great!!! Thank God technology is not getting to much in the way.

I used an old tin with a lot of very thick line, it was practically cord. The tin was made air-tight with a little bit of tar. we left it all night with a few soaked pieces of corn. when a fish took it took every thing - hook, line, sinker and the tin. In the morning we would row or swim out and get catch the tin as it bobbed around the lake. great fun and from what i remember we always caught fish.

I think it is cool to get back to the basics every once in a while, even if it just to catch minnows.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:28 pm 
Fishaholic

Agree with you, amigo :D

Post subject: hmm
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:22 pm 
Fishaholic

well MK that must b an experince, yeah gavin it's true primitive things still prevalent here, i meant abt mine, now thats why i'm here, to learn things from ya ppl...i guess thats won't b a problem

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:52 am 
Fishaholic

Mahaseerken wrote:
I used an old tin with a lot of very thick line, it was practically cord. The tin was made air-tight with a little bit of tar. we left it all night with a few soaked pieces of corn. when a fish took it took every thing - hook, line, sinker and the tin. In the morning we would row or swim out and get catch the tin as it bobbed around the lake. great fun and from what i remember we always caught fish.

Swordfish are still caught in a similar manner guys and it's a billion dollar industry..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:32 am 
Fishaholic

Damn swimming or rowing out to sea to chase a tin attached to a swordfish must one hell of a job. We did it in a small lake called Bhimtal just of Nainital.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:45 am 
Fishaholic

Yes mate swimming in freezing water, it takes a toll but its a barrel not a tin can..even worse and you run the risk of getting impaled by ol Xiphas Gladius

Seriously, its done from seaworthy vessels and the fish are landed by proper Aftco Gaffs and winches..ever seen the Perfect Storm?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:54 pm 
Fishaholic

Guys those old Calcutta reels are still very much in use in the east. They cost a couple of 100 bucks and are made of brass, now maybe steel and plastic.
My bro once brought one of them down from Cal and loaded some 50 pound line on it (this story must be somewhere on IA) but is worth a recycle. Well the spot was Ontigundu on the Kaveri and we were both spring chickens in those days.
Robby pops the rod between his legs to light a fag and this monster mahseer made off with the ragi ball. Bro Robby almost met his maker as he nearly went over. .
Coming back to the reel, there was no line left on it by the time he had the rod in his hand, and the line went slack after a big jerk.
Reeling in we found the mustad 8/0 hook straight as a door nail as the fish went over the falls a hundred meters downstream from where we were fishing.
This reel works as a storage point for line and that's as far as it goes in assisting the angler.
Casting from the reel is out of the question.
Regards
Owen

Post subject: The Catla
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:27 pm 
Fishaholic

That is a lovely fish Doc Saiki and thanks for posting.Very pretty indeed! I can see why Banker Gav likes going after them!
Welcome back Owen. Your name has been missing for a while.And that story of your brother and drum reel was good.Have not seen one of those reels in ages. I remember the ratchet drag made helluva noise! Good sound when you had a fish on though! I would settle for a catla like Doc's right now>
Who knows anthing about Hilsa? Other names? availability? etc
Cheers,
Glenn

Post subject: hmm
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:25 pm 
Fishaholic

well i may b wrong, but the thing is that here in east ya hardly find any river with strong current, only big lakes, i use those oldy cheap drum reels, put around 200 mtrs of 30 lbs line from daiwa samurai, i never had any problems with that, only gave certain trouble at CCRL lake which is 50 acres of 70 ft deep water at a place called dankuni, one more thing, that i would like to clarify, for katla, mrigal n rohu, no one on this planet can beat any single veteran angler from bengal who use those backdated drum reels, wooden rod, pardon me if ya ppl think that i'm wrong, regards, saiki

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:40 pm 
Fishaholic

Different Strokes for Different Folks :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:32 pm 
Fishaholic

I saw the Karmakar reel in Tripura. The cost was 240/- Made of some very heavy metal like brass. I think Karmakar and Co. has a shop in Sealdah at Kolkata. They give you a 10 year warranty in those reels. The rod Saiki was using is not very long and they are not hollow if I am right. Looks like a plastic rod but the action shows they meant business. Looks very sturdy.

Cheers,
Apoo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:42 pm 
Fishaholic

Doc you are right about those reels being ok for lakes. Out here it's a different kettle of fish.
What gets my goat is seeing some anglers hook a fish with a rod and one of these drum reels, throw the rod on the ground and pull the fish in by hand. :roll:

Post subject: owen
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:14 am 
Fishaholic

owen buddy r ya talking abt jamshedpur? that fishing club whose president is munna something? dude they fish in such a lake whose bottom is full of rocks only. so they don't hav any choices...other that run holding the line...and that gives u the whole idea abt katla fishing in da east? i'm a bong angler...n i don't fish for my pot, i hav enough for that, let da competition begin here in da mosoons, come over for katla, will show ya how we do it...no heard story from our part...fish urself

Post subject: forgot
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:17 am 
Fishaholic

another thing, i came across one comment made by you somewhere in dis forum, katlas die b'coz of jhuppies...dude let any fish fight for his/her life with a shameful jhuppi inside mouth for a formidable period, it shall die...be it rohu, mrigal or katla...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:25 pm 
Fishaholic

Hilsa courtesy the Cook!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:56 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks Owen, I had looked up fishbase and did find this same fish, but it was so fixed in my mind that the Hilsa was some kind of eel, it did not register. :lol: :lol:

Those fish are very fresh [smilie=sex0ring.gif]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:03 pm 
Fishaholic

Just go down to General discussions and see what Gav has to say about the quality of the fish. :lol:

Post subject: Hilsa pics
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:23 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks Owen. You made my day. Can I ask where they came from?Excellent! and thanks again.
Cheers,
Glenn

Post subject: Re: Hilsa pics
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:00 am 
Fishaholic

Glenn Todd wrote:
Thanks Owen. You made my day. Can I ask where they came from?Excellent! and thanks again.
Cheers,
Glenn

Somewhere on the web Glenn. :lol: Probably from fish base.
They run up the Hoogly at certain times of the year i am told and are caught in nets. Not possible to catch on rod and reel as per the old books,
Regards
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:09 am 
Fishaholic

Ok, from the little that I know... The hilsa come up the Hooghly to spawn once a year. On their return they are caught before they reach the open waters of the Bay of Bengal... Apparently, the hilsa stay in very deep waters and so it is near impossible to catch them at sea in nets, leave alone rods and reels...

During the spawning season, the fish tend not to eat so forget about the rods and reels in the Hooghly...

Hope my 2-paise info would do some help... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:17 pm 
Fishaholic

Bobster ... Hilsa /// Palla ... same fish

Post subject: hilsa
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:44 pm 
Fishaholic

never heard that any hilsa been caught with rod n reel
gavin have ya???
regards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:14 am 
Fishaholic

No Doc... Never caught them hilsa..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:15 am 
Fishaholic

Ever Gutted a Hilsa?

What's in its belly?

The Hilsa // Palla we get in Bombay are Salties and they are net caught. They do tend to be seasonal if I am not mistaken we find them before the monsoon and during the monsoons, they are Roe laden so that would mean they are coming in to spawn in-shore, like what Gavin said.

And if they do not feed during that time then they are near impossible to catch. I need to buy one of these fish and really check them out.

The other very tasty fish also very Bony, Kanti (vernacular) I have caught in Bombay years ago, during the monsoon, this off Carter Road. I still recall this as I had caught some real weird fish on that day, including Ravas all on Worm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:20 am 
Fishaholic

Bobster ... Fried kanti with tumeric and salt ... yyyyuuuuummmm , me mouths watering mate ... but honestly you dont get to see it in the market nowadays

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:30 am 
Fishaholic

We get them over here sometimes..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:57 am 
Enlightened

Guys, Love the discussion on the Karmaker Reels, A few years ago, on one of my trips back to india, I bought a range of them in all the sizes to keep at home as a momento along with a couple of bamboo rods.
One of my clients[who is also a keen fisherman] laid eyes on them and was
really facinated with them , as an aussie he saw them as being out of this world! and finally after much resistance i was talked into giving them to him
and he proudly displays them at his office, complete with downlights shining on them!
Cheers!
Peter, from down under.