->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:58 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Fishing at kundalika....
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:13 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi all,

went fishing with Yaj on Sunday to kundalika river, we were on the banks from morning 9.30 to 7 PM.

we didn't catch much but the whole experience was fantastic & knowing each other was more fun...

A very hot & humid weather was tiring us down with occasional frustrating thought of not been able to catch any fish from 9.30 AM to 5 PM. In the morning locals also blasted the opposite bank (which i guess must have scared of the fish from the area) :roll:

But things changed at 5.30 when we changed the location, had couple of drinks and started casting spinners (maybe the sprits helped). :twisted: :twisted:

Some pics as under.. guys plss help identify the fish...

Last edited by santosh on Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:03 pm 
Fishaholic

Them waters look good for some big fish.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:25 pm 

Good show and great going guys!
A damn sight better than our 'toxic greens' here!
Looks carp-ish-best wait for the big boys to tell us...whats the spinners/ baits?
Best
Axx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:53 pm 
Fishaholic

Gavin Ridge Cooke wrote:
Them waters look good for some big fish.....

Gavin at the place where we fished in the evening is said to be 70 ft. deep at the center.

I asked some locals & they said that ppl have landed fish as big is 80 kgs. :roll:

will be going there soon.. hopefully this time will land a biggy.. :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:59 pm 
Fishaholic

Did the locals say what fish are available?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:06 pm 
Fishaholic

eljefe wrote:
Good show and great going guys!
A damn sight better than our 'toxic greens' here!
Looks carp-ish-best wait for the big boys to tell us...whats the spinners/ baits?
Best
Axx

Thanks Asif,

We used atta with vanilla essence.... for ground bait we used cake & mud (1:2) and some vanilla essence...also used liver, artificial frogs, corn laced with vanilla essence, dried worms and some innovation "natural fruit gummy bears" (hmm.. funny) .. but no luck with all that.. :(

What worked were spinners (3 Mepps Aglia).. at first the cast were wayward.. but after a bit trial & error, we were able to cast it some what decently... :-)

In the evening the action was really hot.. lot of fish jumping around...

will go again soooon.. this time with proper lights & other stuff to fish at night.... :twisted: :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:10 pm 
Fishaholic

Santosh, few things to take into consideration..

1) What kind of fish available there ?
2) Do not fish at places which are being bombed...
3) How is the flow of the water ? If it is slow, then some ground baiting could work ?
4) Any signs of big fish turning around in the waters where u fished ?
5) Regarding the dudes that landed the big fish.. How ?? Dynamite or rod ??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:12 pm 
Fishaholic

Santosh - Personally, I would not used too much vanilla essence, especially when the fish aren't used to it.... The strong smell might just scare them off.... :roll:

Big Boys - Your take on the Kundalika trip :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:15 pm 
Site Admin

Good stuff, Santosh. Keep at it.

Bops

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:19 pm 
Fishaholic

Bobby wrote:
Did the locals say what fish are available?

hi bobby,

The guy I asked told some half a dozen weird names, which I have never heard of.. with the description he gave i guess 2 of that is catfish, snake head .. the fish I caught is called Khalvy OR Khalva.. (as my carpenter said looking at it) and grows to two to three feet in size.. the scales where big and very shinny copper/silver in colour...

The best part is that the river is just over two hrs drive from my place.. :D

Last edited by santosh on Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:22 pm 
Fishaholic

Santosh - Don't feel shy calling names here, we do it all the time :lol: :lol: C'mon dude, out with it :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:30 pm 
Fishaholic

Gavin, the answers aer as under..

1) What kind of fish available there ? (Told me half a dozen names of fish they catch for pot, should be of sizable for pot i guess)

2) Do not fish at places which are being bombed... (the place is bombed on Wednesday, Friday & Sunday, as ppl in the region don't prefer to eat fish on religious days)

3) How is the flow of the water ? If it is slow, then some ground baiting could work ? (Slow)

4) Any signs of big fish turning around in the waters where u fished ? (Lot of action in the morning & evening.. we did see the some big splashes)

5) Regarding the dudes that landed the big fish.. How ?? Dynamite or rod ?? (With Net.. but they don't net the deep waters.. bombing & netting is not very widespread & common..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:31 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Santosh,

The fish on the third pic, we call them kuhi in Assam. I dont know the proper and the commonly used name.

You got a nice place to fish.

Keep it up.

Cheers,
Apoo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:37 pm 
Fishaholic

Gavin Ridge Cooke wrote:
Santosh - Don't feel shy calling names here, we do it all the time :lol: :lol: C'mon dude, out with it :twisted:

Gavin, I am very bad with names.. btw the names were so weird :shock: that I forgot them immediately,,.. :roll:

thanks, apoo..

Last edited by santosh on Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:45 pm 
Fishaholic

Since we don't know exactly what fish we are working with, lets assume there are some rohus around... Some regular groundbaiting should work though..

Try not fishing on the day of the bombings. Big fish will not eat during that time...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:56 pm 
Fishaholic

Gavin,

Being bottom feeders, do rohu, Catla, Mrigal take spinners ..????

Some how casting spinners has now become my fist love .. [smilie=hearts.gif]

Ur are right.. blasting will scare the fish.. I will be going on days they do not bomb the river..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:00 pm 
Fishaholic

By Nature, catlas and rohus are not bottom feeders... We have made them bottom feeders... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Catlas are surface feeders and rohus are mid-level feeders...

Gav's Point of View:: Have a look at the mouth to tell you what type of feeder the fish is

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:36 pm 
Fishaholic

Some of the names he mentioned were Shivada- Wallagu attu I think
Mullya- a type of small carp?

Could the fish in the second pic be a small mahseer? Its scales were huge and the rims of the scale were shining like gold like some of the Mahseer pics I have seen.It was a beauty!
Yaj.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:13 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Santosh and Yaj,

All the fishes looked under age. Did you release it or you had taken home for the table. The fish that I had named is very tasty. It does not grow much but from the looks of the pic it will grow another four inches. We rear the Kuhi in our pond. After it takes the bite if takes the bait so fast that it feels like you hooked a big fish.

Cheers,
Apoo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:21 pm 
Fishaholic

Hello Apoo,
The smaller fish(third pic) was injured by the blasting and died sometime later.We got it out with the landing net to check out species etc.
The fish Santosh caught had taken one of the trebles through the eye badly so no point in releasing so Santosh took it home.
I caught nothing :oops: and was reduced to being official photographer :lol:

Yaj.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:39 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi apoo, the fish in second pic gave an impression that I hv hooked a big fish and did bend the rod quite a bit for its size.. as Yaj said we could not release the fish in second pic bcoz the treble passed through its eye..the fish in 3rd pic was almost dead coz of blasting & was taken out for identification & not for pot..

Yaj, the fish was good to eat.. tasted a lil bit like rawas..
When next..??? :twisted: ... hv collected more info, this time we go well prepared..

Last edited by santosh on Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:41 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi yaj,

If the situation was like that, there was no point sending the fish back to the water. Santosh must have relished the fish. Best when fried with lemon and ginger, garlic and chilli paste.

Cheers,
Apoo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:28 am 
Fishaholic

Given there is so much confusion with names and descriptions can be so vague, I take a book with pictures with me and ask locals (even that can be confusing) e.g. Pompano V/S Pomfret so you need to show them same and similar fish cross question. It can be a pain in the ass but research can be fun and rewarding.

We have found so many new fishing grounds in this manner, it's hard work but very effective.

A good example of being misguided was in Phuket this time, I went to the fish stalls and asked him what this fish (Mangrove Jack) was, he said "Red Snapper" there was another type of Red coloured fish, I asked him what type? he said "Red Snapper" on giving him a quizzsical look he said another type, so with the 3 red fish.

There were small Barramundi on ice as well, I asked him what fish was that? "White Snapper" was the response.

And there was also Black Fish on ice in that lot. What fish was that I asked...and the reply, yes you guessed it correctly!

Last edited by Bobby on Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:14 pm 
Fishaholic

HAHA Bobster ... u dint go shopping for anything else did you :lol: :lol: like this one Thai ... that One Thai .... and this one MY MY

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:22 pm 
Fishaholic

MaiTai, is that what you mean? :lol: yes downed a couple of those
or perhaps you mean My Thai? or My, Thighs...

No mate I was on a holiday with just the wife..

Me taking a break during a hectic fishing session:

Snapper Paradise (not on that day, a lot fewer fish there):

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:26 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Santosh,
Looks like you have already narrowed down your fishing days to Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday.

Nice going at least you know when to fish without getting bombed :lol:

The big fish of 80 will not be a snakehead and unlikely to be a cat, so it narrows it down to the catla, goonch or mahseer.

If they were slightly amplyfing things then it could have been a big mulley, rohu or mirgal.

In any case, except for the mulley and mahseer, none of the larger fish will take a spoon, though the smaller carp do go for a spoon out of curiosity.

By the way thats a pretty huge rod to be using for light spinning. How did your shoulders feel by the end of the day ?

I suggest you try ledgering paste bait in deep water and tie your rod down before wandering around close by trying your luck spinning.
Who knows you might give up spinning :lol:
Regards
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:29 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi owen,

This place is ideal to go fishing on weekdays (less crowd at the nearby resorts).. plus some safety from the blasting.. :roll:
the rod I was using is 8ft telescopic was also using one 5.5 & 6 feet rod,....you should have seen yaj's rod and reel.. :lol: (the reel weight was 1100 gms)

The shoulders feeling not to good even today.. along with it the back & forearms are also complaining :lol: :lol:

well as u know, we guys hv always been wanting to have bigger rods :twisted: :twisted: hv ordered last night two more rods of 10 Ft & 14 Ft...

As for ledgering paste bait in deep water; no ground baiting required ???

Its learning years for me, will try everything thats going to get me some fish at the end of my line..

Owen, can u plss help identify the fish in the 2nd pic..?

regards,

Santosh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:02 pm 
Fishaholic

I had a second look at that fish Santosh, and i can't really put a finger on it. Perhaps you could mail me a high resolution picture so that i can get a better look at the dorsal fin and the scales on the fish, and then see if i can match it with any thing similar that comes up from my books.

You could toss in some paste bait in a couple of spots during each visit, and this should keep the fish interested in those places, but the dynamiting is not good news matey! Don't they have any laws or protection in your neck of the woods ?
In any case don't try shooing away the poachers as life could become very difficult for you guys as i have learnt in the past.
Regards
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:01 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi owen,

The high resolution pic are with yaj, will ask him to mail you... as for the dynamiting is concerned it will surely kill / scare lot of fish from the place we have identified for our future visits....

Yes, there is nothing much we can do to stop the poachers.. rules say blasting the river is illegal.. but :roll:

Even this morning I and yaj had a talk abt the blasting thing.... lets see ... I will also talk to the resort owner (if he is willing to help) on my next visit …..they blast close to the banks.

After the dynamiting, we did see good number of fish turning around in the waters after some time (some of the splashes were big) not exactly near the blasted place.. maybe min. 30 meters away.... in the evening the river was full of life..

Regards,

santosh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 11:38 pm 
Fishaholic

sorry to revive this thread...
santosh...here's my suggestion

1. i'd hav done a bit of measurements first...like put some weights at the end of my line, cast it...take the measurement.
2. ground-bait @the end of that measured area vigorously with a circled manner with a radius of 2 ft...if it's 70 ft deep then gotta dump almost 1 kgm of my ground bait...
3. wait for almost 1 hr...i'd look for the signs that fishes had arrived...like bubbles, splashes...
4. then i'd begin casting...cast almost 20 ft long as compared with my previous measurement...

p.s. i prefer groundbait in different style for different species...
1. if it's for katlas>>>my original ground bait mixed with cake 1:1, then cake with country liquor/haria(tribal liquor) 1:1...this would scare away the small ones, attract the biggies...believe me it works, then specially treated coconut and coconut oils mixed with cake 1:1...>>>make sure whatever liquor you throw, you mix that with your bait (bread or atta), it's really important.
2. if it's for rohu>>>ground bait for rohu mixed with grounded soil (dry...not mud)...i have two ground baits one is for katla n another is for rohus, then i'd go for cheera/abhikahhi, gur (dunno what it is exactly) & cake, 1:1:1, soaked with country liquor overnight...
3. if it's for mrigal>>>only old smelly, nasty, grotesque ant eggs would do the trick (waghh!!!...if ya only can forget the smell...probably the stinkiest of all)...

bait i use mainly bread mixed with cream/white butter/coconut fried in desi ghee/coconut oil/essences/ant eggs (both fresh & old)...and not to forget the liquor portion...
alternative baits are grounded basmati rice/dried white slice bread etc mixed with same...

N.B. i use country liquor 'coz katlas like strong/pungent smell...
and man, country thing got much more strong smell than rum/brandy

if ya need more help regarding katlas then pm me instead... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 3:01 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Saiki,

Thanks for the details... I am not sure if the river holds any rohu.. May have Katla OR mrigal.. don’t know for sure..

What I & yaj keep trying for are Mahseer, Catfish and some carp that we know are there after few visit to the place.. Apart from these fish there are Tilapia, Gar .

After the 1st visit we have stopped ground bating the place.. lures & spinners are what we mostly use now in the morning & bait (atta) in the evening.. but now I guess we have to do ground bating if we want to catch some decent size fish.

This time yaj brought his fish finder & at abt 45 Ft. we saw plenty of big fish moving at mid & bottom level of the river... we even trolled that area for abt 1 hr without any luck....

Ground bating the deep section will be difficult as we have to access the area by a boat and with no provision to anchor it, the boat keeps drifting..

On the last visit I used a 5 " fish (hooked it in the tail, as shown in one of vedans post), and casted it right at deep section of the river... for almost one hour there was not a single bite, when I reeled in to check, the fish was intact.. on my second cast, I left the rod unattended on a rod holder with light drag the baited fish disappeared with the hook...

As advised, we plan to go there only in July as then the fishing is supposed to be excellent… make a plan to be here at that time .. :-)

Regards,

Santosh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 5:12 pm 
Fishaholic

hi santosh
hmm i already know that ya love spinners
i wrote that coz ya asked gavin abt rohus n all
mahseer/catfishes i'll be of little help that i know... :(
anyway lets c if i can take some time out in the july...
i'll try hard
c ya buddy
regards

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 11:34 am 
Enlightened

hey Santosh
nice catch, thou I have tried that river and caught nothing, I am hoping the next time we could fish together there and catch some stuff ..
cheers
Dean

santosh wrote:
Hi all,

went fishing with Yaj on Sunday to kundalika river, we were on the banks from morning 9.30 to 7 PM.

we didn't catch much but the whole experience was fantastic & knowing each other was more fun...

A very hot & humid weather was tiring us down with occasional frustrating thought of not been able to catch any fish from 9.30 AM to 5 PM. In the morning locals also blasted the opposite bank (which i guess must have scared of the fish from the area) :roll:

But things changed at 5.30 when we changed the location, had couple of drinks and started casting spinners (maybe the sprits helped). :twisted: :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 11:49 am 
Fishaholic

Hey Dean,

Hows fishing in Goa? :wink:

Plan a trip here in mid July..we can try kundalika and also visit Harihareshwar, the rocks behind the hill produce good fishing in mid monsoon (a local guy fishing for ravas in Bankot told me this)...

Mid July is the time at Kundalika.. my last trip was bad.. got plenty of small carp

Cheers.. Santosh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 3:15 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Santosh,
Where did you fish on the Kundalika? I have been there on an earlier occasion in January and stayed at this place called Camp River Wild. Tried fishing the adjoining river which looked very promising, but caught nothing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 4:29 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Hawkeye,

Camp River Wild is further up from where we go...

What were u fishing with.???

We have always managed to catch few fish on spinners & atta bait, but nothing big, although the big ones are there & you could actually see them in early mornings & evening.. want to catch them..just have to figure out, HOW?

Next time we plan a trip, I'll let u know.. my No. is 9967366777, send me urs.

Santosh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 10:14 pm 
Fishaholic

some recent pics of kundalika... the place is nice to go & relax..

Dr. Yaj taking a break

Gar fish

Fishing with Kingfisher

Swimming with our boat man..

Last edited by santosh on Wed May 16, 2007 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 10:20 pm 
Fishaholic

hey santosh...awesome pics
liked that gar fish... :lol:
river looks nice...must hav some biggies
thats for sure
keep trying...

regards
saiki

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 12:37 am 
Fishaholic

Nice pic's...dude...

How did u manage to catch the Gar fish :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 7:37 am 
Fishaholic

they do go for spinners dont they?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 9:44 am 
Fishaholic

Nice place to go and relax -> [smilie=superkewl.gif]

Dr Yaj taking a break - > [smilie=superkewl.gif]

Gar fish - > [smilie=superkewl.gif]

Fishhing with Kingfisher -> [smilie=superkewl.gif] 8)

Swimming with Boatman -> :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 10:50 am 
Fishaholic

Gavin Ridge Cooke wrote:
Swimming with Boatman -> :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Hey Gavin,... I knew that was cming.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes aaron, they do go for spinners..,,

Santosh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 11:14 am 
Fishaholic

:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 1:55 pm 
Fishaholic

Great pictures, Santosh.
Had tried atta with various additives and even small shrimps with no success.
Must visit Kundalika again with you.... but not during the monsoons !!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 2:01 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Hawk,

Any particular reason to avoid monsoon.. :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 3:07 pm 
Fishaholic

The river can get pretty wild during the monsoons.
Bops has still not got me a decent PFD on his online shoppe.
I dont swim and I like to keep my feet on, or at least close to, terra firma.
You guys must be wondering what kind of an angler is this ?? [smilie=boggl3y3dummy-ani.gif]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 3:31 pm 
Fishaholic

Awesome place Santosh. Just where the heck is this ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 4:00 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Owen,

The location is 2 hrs drive from Mumbai at a place called Kolad..

The river gets its water from the dams controlled by Tatas.. as we all know tata has a breeding program for Mahseer in these dams, the river does have big mahseer that the locals call Khadas OR Khadasi... u can also see this fish in the mornings & evening

The local practice to catch them is using frogs OR leaving over night small fish on hooks tied to a thick line..

Since u know a lot abt Mahseer, can u suggest me a good approach.. is ground baiting must? and if yes what should i use as ground bait..

Hey Hawk, dont worry ur not alone , m not a good swimmer & yaj does not know swimming.. :wink:

The place where we go is most of the time very calm as it is between two dams.. it is as calm as a lake..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 5:36 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Santosh,
Just how fast is the water flow in this place ?
If there is standing or slow flowing water, you can try atta as ground bait, but it has to be done on a regular basis before you will see some real action.
But if there are mahseer around at particular times of day, chilwa are a great bait to use, as are lures like mepps spinners and plugs.
I visit Mumbai now and again, maybe we could fish this place together sometime.
What size are these fish, and what kind of line and hooks are you using ?
Have you tried lures ?
Regards
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 6:47 pm 
Site Admin

hawkeye wrote:
The river can get pretty wild during the monsoons.
Bops has still not got me a decent PFD on his online shoppe.
I dont swim and I like to keep my feet on, or at least close to, terra firma.
You guys must be wondering what kind of an angler is this ?? [smilie=boggl3y3dummy-ani.gif]

Hawkeye, mate you must be blind! There is a PFD in the online shop. Posted long ago. Have a look.