->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:01 am

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:11 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi guys,

Here are some photos of my fishing trip to Lakshwadeep

Job fish, taken on a large White Redhead popper

Yellowfin tuna, taken on a pink Halco Laser Pro

Barracuda taken on a pink Halco Laser Pro

Red Bass taken on a large Orange popper

Bluefin Jack taken on a Rapala CD14 Firetiger

Landed 3 more yellow fins on the pink halco lure. Also landed some red groupers, on the pink Halco lure.

Wahoo taken on the same pink Halco lure. There is a shop in Cochin, on Jew street (I think it is called J.C Nylon). They sell Halco lures, and some Indian versions called Sea Queen (from Chennai). Quality of the Sea Queen lures did not look good.

The locals have a unique way of fishing for skipjack tuna, called pole and line fishing. No reels are used. They go out in their dhonis (local boats).
Approximately ten people, fish on the dhoni. They all sit on a platform at the rear of the dhoni. The rear platform is equipped with several spray nozzles. Once a school of skip jacks is located (diving birds), they release some live bait at the location, and at the same time start the water spray nozzles. This creates an illusion of jumping baitfish. The skipjack come to the surface, and that's when the pole fishermen go into action. Their hooks have no barb. Some locals place a transparent plastic tubing on the hook shank. This makes it look like the local baitfish, which has an almost transparent body, but with a silver stripe on the sides. They dip these bare hooks into the water, get a hookset, and with a tight line fling the skipjack into the boat. As soon as the skipjack is inside the boat, they give slack, hook is free, and back into the water for the next fish. Each boat can can catch 500 fish in less than 1 hr of continuous fishing.

I think this would be a great way to do some saltwater flyfishing. Next time, I plan to give this a try.

Here is a photo of the local hooks. Top hook is used for yft, while the botom hook is used for skipjack. Note the absence of the barb, for the skipjack hook.

Skipjack tuna processing on the beach

Fish for sale @ Fort Cochin

Sunset @ Lakshwadeep

Last edited by flyfisher on Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:58 pm 
Fishaholic

Super stuff mate, need to read that post again

Post subject: Amazing
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:05 pm 
Fishaholic

damn cool,
amazin pics. Heaven on earth to be fishing in lakshadeep.
before april 06 i was also in cochin for 8 mnts and that place offers a variety of fish for its anglers. right from tuna's to snapers and sharks and some sea trout in the channels or till the sea boy( of cochin warf) and some local catfish and karimeen in the inlet channels of threvra bridge and thopamady bridge.
Puffer been availble all over and being a menace out there.
keep postin
cheers!!!
M

Post subject: hey man
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:09 pm 
Fishaholic

hi,
do tell us what rod and reel was in action out there. keep us educated over the tecx used out there.
cheers!!!
M

Post subject: Lakadives
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:09 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Fisher<

Some super fishing Man. When where you there? Did you see any GT action is there any scope for fly fishing there?.
Are you from cochin?. The Sails n the fort cochin market , when was the photograph taken?.Have you fished offshore from cochin any time.

Tight Lines
Jeen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:07 pm 

You having fun Flyfisher! Enjoy and tell us land lubbers about the rods/tackle too.Great pics
Axx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:35 pm 
Site Admin

Great stuff! That was a nice report.

Bopanna

Post subject: Lakswadeep
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:42 am 
Fishaholic

What an eye opener! And thanks for posting. You certainly seem to have had a great time out there! Hope you catch some more on your next trip, but don't forget to leave some for us.
Thanks again,

Glenn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:23 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Jeen,

I was in Lakshwadeep in the first week of Nov. 2006.
I was there for seven days, but there was stormy/rainy weather for five days. But still managed to go out with the boat three times.
Best time to go will be Jan- - Feb.

I was expecting to fly fish for bonefish, as they are present in Maldives. But couldn't find any. I even snorkelled, to look for them.

Flyfishing should definitely work, once you find a shoal of skipjack or yellowfin tunas. You will need a minimum of 12 wt. fly rod for the small yft's. They fight real hard. But I think yft are better fished on conventional gear. Skipjacks should be fun on a 10 wt fly rod.

I had tied a bunch of bonefish flies, for the trip. Will find some use for them.

GT's are definitely there, but I did not make any visual contact or hook one.

I am from Mumbai. Was just passing through Cochin, on the way to Lakshwadeep.

The Sailfish photo was taken on 30th Oct. 2006. I also spotted huge King Mackerel at the fish market. I think six feet long atleast.

No, I have not fished offshore from Cochin.

regards

Makarand

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:48 pm 
Fishaholic

Well done FF, great report
Regards
Owen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:52 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi FF,

Thanks for the feed back man. Well iam from close to cochin and had caught some fish offshore mainly Spanish Makeel, Cobia and snappers. Didnt see any Sail fin action . This was way back in the early 80s and much before I got into better equipment and serious tackle. Always wondering about starting a charter operation from there when I retire in a couple of years time ( I hope ...).
Meanwhile I am in the process of staring a service in the Maldives with a Maldivian friend.
The sad part about Lakadives is that the Gov has very strict rules about places you can visit and the authorities are somewhat reluctant to cooperate with us Indians!! . Strange right? how our backyard can become alien territory.

Tight Lines,

Jeen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:42 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Jeen,

On my last trip I ran into the exact same bureaucracy. You cannot believe how frustrating it is for us Indians to deal with our own government. We had serious issues with local customs and other officials just to get a boat out. The bloody smugglers etc who want to do their stuff can so so and right under the officials noses and they even know about it, but it is guys like us that suffer, people who are really concerned for the countries environment and progress, guys who just want to go out and have a good days fishing.

It is unbelievably hard to get a boat out to hit some serious blue water if you go through the right channels the govt makes it so difficult, then on the other hand you have damn boats from Phuket getting into Indian waters bring tourists from Thailand fishing in Indian waters and nothing happens, all the revenue goes to Thailand and we are left scratching our nuts. In fact these boats have the audacity to actually dock in the Andman islands and top up on water etc. Let alone sport and game fishing but even commercial fishing boats fish in our waters at least the govt is taking some firm steps against that.

I do not understand why they are so tough against us locals going and trolling, I have done a fair bit of blue water trolling and you cannot even imagine what a nightmare it is to get a permit, if I did not carry serious gear I would not really bother going through the right channels and just go out an troll anyway. Our govt needs to open their eyes and realize that they need to capitalize on this market and open things up.

I hate to think about this as it ruins my day and totally frustrates me..

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:48 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Man Bobby,

I enjoyed that. That anger and frustration!!. You are right about Andamans. Look at Anaman Hooker, Pelagic Anglers and the rest of the operators queued up at our shores well equiped and ready to fish. If you look for a local set up you know what to expect. Not because we guys dont know what is needed to set a up decent operation but because of the regulations and Gov hurdles.

Any way the world is ours and there are places to fish when we have the time. So cheer up and lets meet some time to fish and dont forget to call Fred.

Tight Lines,

Jeen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:04 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Jeen,

Thanks for the sympathy I really get worked up when I think about the issues we have to go through. Fred and I go back a long way, our houses are about 5 minutes apart by car in Bombay we have fished many a times together.

If you want to troll inshore like what Fred does then it is really not a problem, but the problem comes up when you want to do Blue Water Trolling and take a boat really out. You can risk it by just taking a boat and going out but then if you get caught you get screwed for nothing, worse still if they confiscate your gear and I do not take Penn Spinfishers when I go Blue Water :lol: :lol: so I would rather be armed with some kind of a permit.

I do not really enjoy trolling inshore even though it is very productive, I prefer spinning to it, I find spinning more challenging and skillful. On my last trip we did just one inshore troll but I got fed-up of it fast we must have trolled for less than an hour late evening, we could have stayed there but decided to move on the next day.

This is what we produced in less than an hour's troll including the way to and from the location by boat, I do not want to have to travell so far to catch something like this, fish like that can be caught around Bombay:

Now the fishes LF has caught above are something really special, the fish he is refering to Red Snapper above is not a Mangrove Jack, what is commonly caught in India. It is either a Red Bass or a Paddletail, most likely the latter both come from the Lutjanus Family same as the Mangrove Jack but it is not advisable to eat either of these two fish because of ciguatera.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:49 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Bobby,

You are correct, it is a red bass, and not a red snapper.
Red Snappers have a humpback.

http://www2.dpi.qld.gov.au/fishguide/15844.html

http://fishbase.org/Summary/SpeciesSummary.php?id=1417

http://fishbase.org/Summary/SpeciesSummary.php?id=177

I had no idea, about this food posining aspect.

I had read that some fishes from the Indian ocean region are toxic, but never cared to find out :oops:

This is what I found, from a simple google search

http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~mow/chap36.html

"Marine finfish most commonly implicated in ciguatera fish poisoning include the groupers, barracudas, snappers, jacks, mackerel, and triggerfish. Many other species of warm-water fishes harbor ciguatera toxins. The occurrence of toxic fish is sporadic, and not all fish of a given species or from a given locality will be toxic".

Seems I was lucky. Thank God !

Thanks for educating me.

Will be careful next time !

Catch & Release makes even more sense ! :-)

thanks

Makarand

Last edited by flyfisher on Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:47 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Mayursud and Eljefe,

All the fish were caught trolling.

Tackle used :

Rods :

1.] Shakespeare UglyStik Tiger : Casting : BWC 2201-2

2.] Shakespeare UglyStik Tiger : Spinning : BWS2201-2

3.] A custom 5'6" Pacific Bay rod, in the 80 lb class
(This rod belonged to the resort)

Reels :

1.] Shimano spinning : Baitrunner 6500, with 80 Lb power pro., and 80 lb mono shock leader

2.] Shimano Conventional : TLD-30 2 speed reel, with 80 lb power pro., and 80 lb mono shock leader

3.] Penn International 30 : single speed : with 80 lb braid, and 80 lb mono shock leader
(This reel belonged to the resort)

4.] Shimano Conventional : Torium-30, with 40 lb maxima

Steel trace (American Fishing Wire, 49-strand, camouflaged brown) was used to connect the lure,
to the mono shock leader. 175 lb test. approx. 2' long

Reels 1 & 2, along with rods 2 & 3 landed all the fish.

regards

Makarand

Last edited by flyfisher on Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:36 am 
Fishaholic

flyfisher wrote:
"Marine finfish most commonly implicated in ciguatera fish poisoning include the groupers, barracudas, snappers, jacks, mackerel, and triggerfish. Many other species of warm-water fishes harbor ciguatera toxins. The occurrence of toxic fish is sporadic, and not all fish of a given species or from a given locality will be toxic".

Seems I was lucky. Thank God !

I have written about this before somewhere but let me reiterate, Ciguatera is a cumulative poison that builds up in ones body, so two persons could have eaten the same amount of the same fish and only one of them would be affected i.e. if the level of ciguatera in his/her body has reached dangerous levels. It is not like you eat a contaminated fish and will fall immediately into your plate, that poison just adds up.

Barracuda are prime candidates for ciguatera poisoning. Guys please do your research before you eat any fish, especially reef fish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:59 pm 
Fishaholic

flyfisher wrote:
Hi Mayursud and Eljefe,
All the fish were caught trolling.

FF did you guys use Poppers to troll? Interesting, I just picked up a couple of birds on my trip to Phuket, Birds get hit very often, I guess the popper did the same..

What sort of speed were you trolling at and was the popper skipping?

flyfisher wrote:
Hi Mayursud and Eljefe,
Reels :

1.] Shimano spinning : Baitrunner 6500, with 80 Lb power pro., and 80 lb mono shock leader

2.] Shimano Conventional : TLD-30 2 speed reel, with 80 lb power pro., and 80 lb mono shock leader

3.] Penn International 30 : single speed : with 80 lb braid, and 80 lb mono shock leader

I think loading 80lb line on these reels was a serious bit of an imballance, all these reels are in the 30lb class, it would have been very interesting to see what would have happened if you got hit by something really large on reel 1 set up the way it was :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:42 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Bobby,

Yes, I trolled plugs. These were big GT poppers which I picked up in Singapore.
Not exactly good quality. The paint on the popper comes off, where the fish bites it.

http://www.hockheng.com.sg/lurePopper.asp

I am on the lookout for good quality GT poppers.

The trolling speed was probably 4-6 knots. This is a guess, as there was no speed indicator.
No, the popper was not skipping.

I was afraid of using 30 lb braid, as it would have dug grovees into the rod guides. Hence the choice of a thicker 80 lb powerpro.

Shimano baitrunner 6500 was a wrong choice, agreed. I am seriously thinking about getting the new Fin-Nor offshore spinning reel.

http://www.finnorfishing.com/offshore_reels.html

regards

Makarand

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:50 am 
Fishaholic

Hi LF,

That answers my questions :lol: I was curious as to how a Red Bass would take a popper :lol: :lol:

Quality poppers are available all over Singapore, I know what lures you are talking about when you said the paint comes off, I had bought a couple of this make in Hong Kong, the paint tends to "peel" off correct? :lol: The action of these lures were deadly however.

All my Trolling reels are fitted with conventional mono (tournament grade), the fun about blue water trolling is that fish have no little chance to cut you off on a rock unless you troll close to a shallow reef.

I have a 130lb Fin-nor O/H trolling reel tri gear, and a couple of spinning reels. I bought the Millionaire spinning reel from the US, it looked and felt great, but the whole mechanism ceased after just 1 use so I have lost a bit of confidence in them after that incident also after their take over. Having said that, my first Fin-nor spinning reel was the Ahab and she is an absolute beauty.

The reel you are looking at is a beast, I don’t know what size you are looking at, I am presuming the largest and then I need to ask the question of how economical it is going to be to use spinning offshore? Van Stall has a huge off shore spinning reel that I want to buy just as a showpiece and nothing else. Are you going to spin or troll with the reel or both? If it is purely trolling I think going for an O/H trolling reel would be a better option given the use of a Gimbals and Harness, that is where I would put my money.

Bobby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:29 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Bobby,

Been a while. What caught my eye was the mention of Red Bass. They're beautiful looking fish and I've had a couple of them on popper also.

Regards,

Mighty Marlin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:32 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Bobby,

I need the reel primarily for "throwing" poppers. Trolling with this reel would be a bonus. It could also work for Mahseer, loaded with 200 yds of 50 lb Berkley Big Game mono.

I am considering the bigger version OFS 95, and it is not a $700 reel like the Van Staal :lol: .

The Fin-Nor retails for $169 in the U.S !

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... hasJS=true

regards

Makarand

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:24 am 
Fishaholic

Hi MM,

Got the pictures, great stuff.

LF,

I was not suggesting you buy the Van Stall :lol: :lol: like I said the only reason I would want to own one is as a show piece, incidentally I do have the Gold VS300 (without bail) and at the time I bought it they did not come with the anti wobble counter balance, it sits pretty in my fishing cupboard.

The Van Stall reel I was referring to was a real behemoth retailing about a year ago at US$1800 I cannot find any reference to it on the net, it is probably a limited edition, sold out maybe, no mention of this beast on the Van Stall site either. Should have got one when I had the chance.

Regards,

Bobby