->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:33 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Nameri Reserve Forest
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:34 am 
Fishaholic

Hi,

I went to Nameri Reserve Forest with two of my friends on 21th to get the angling permission on the Jia Bhorali (many people spell Bhoreli, Bhorolu and I dont know which one is correct). I had to stay for a night at the Eco Camp Nameri. The river was nearby and the camp organises angling on inflatable rafts and rafting. Though I had taken my rod and reel I was not allowed to fish there as I did not get the permission from the DFO whose office is situated nearly 30 kms away from the camp.

I had a talk with Mr Ronesh Roy who was the in charge of the camp. He told me that the water was still cold for fishing and a few avid anglers had come on 20th and the catch was ZERO. He asked me to come to the camp by mid Feb til the end of March when the water would be warm enough for the anglers to try to catch the famous masheers.

I had asked for his permission to put one IA sticker on the message board so that other anglers can have a look at our forum.

Since I could not do any angling I took a jungle trek in the Nameri Forest.
It is famous for the bird watchers and there are a lot of wild elephants. We had seen fresh dung (the guards told us that the elephants had left that trail 15 to 20 minutes ago). There were a lot of bisons, mithuns and wild pigs also. Though the reserve forest was declared a tiger reserve, we did not see any pug marks. The marks found were deer, wild hog, elephants, and a host of other animals.

I am downloading the pics now. It would take some time. As soon as the pics are downloaded, I will post it.

Cheers,
Apoo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:06 am 
Fishaholic

Here are some of the pics.

some pics posted in the message board

Tents

Chang Ghar. Traditional Miri House

Night shelter of a farmer. To stay away from the wild animals but not from the elephants.

The famous Jia Brorali river

Migratory ducks

Migratory birds

More pics to come.

Cheers,
Apoo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:54 am 
Fishaholic

Great Pictures Apoo..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:04 pm 
Fishaholic

Here are some more pics

Entry point to the reserve forest

Me on the boat.

The Camp

The Dining Hall

The Mahseer Tank

The Mahseers

The rafts

Sunset

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:35 pm 
Site Admin

Hey Apoo, nice pics. Thanks for taking the trouble to put them up.

Bops

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:11 pm 
Fishaholic

Great pics Apoo.... Keep 'em coming !! :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:32 pm 
Enlightened

Really great pix, Apoo!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:42 am 
Fishaholic

Nice pics Apoo...

Those masheer look very dead. Is it allowed to keep them for the pot?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:26 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Ryan,

The pics showing the mahseers are quite old and at times there were no restrictions. But now a days it is only catch and release. I think the forest deptt. discourage people from angling on that river as one has to go to Doulabari, a place near Tezpur town and get the permission from the DFO's office (around 32 km). The process is so tidious that anybody will say that it would have been better if decided not to fish at all in that river. If any one is cought fishing without the permission, the guards are ordered to shoot (as told to me by a guard only).

But nearby that river is the place called Arunachal Pradesh and you can try your luck and may find big big mahseers in the market as on that sise it is not banned.

Cheers,
Apoo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:52 am 
Fishaholic

Ordered to shoot at someone fishing without a permit :shock: !! that's a bit extreme!!

When you say "fishing" I presume it is generic, so does this unwritten "shoot on sight of fisherman" law apply to someone who wanders with a rod and reel and commences angling?

If that is the case I would not even want to fish there with a license, imagine running into a guard who has had a few shots of the local hooch!! or someone just making a genuine mistake :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:14 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Bobby,

That phrase was told by a guard and even if they do not shoot atleast they are quite serious about angling without a permit. I had tried to persuade the camp manager and the forest guard that I didnt knew that it was a regulated angling spot and told them that I would release all the catch. Even after that I was not allowed to do angling. One more reason might be that the DFO was supposed to come to the camp with some of his guest. The guest was a secretary level officer of the Govt. So the guards were acting a little bit serious. Maybe next time when I go there I will try to enquire whether the are really very serious or not. Though I had applied for a licence in the DFO's office, I will get the permission at the range office.

Cheers,
Apoo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:04 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Apoo,
Looks like a great place mate. I have a VCD of some mahseer fishing in your region. The fish were all small ones, but it looks like the effort for conservation is on in real good earnest.
Hopefully the same is happening in patches in the rivers of north India too. I do believe that the prospects for the future are improving marginally across the country.
Regards
Owen