->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:04 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:23 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Guy's,
The lakes turned up trumps for nice size Rohu, most of them caught on float tackle, with 9ft telescopic rods 30-60gm cast weight. 3000 series reels loaded with 20lb mono. Only one 11.5 Kg caught on 10lb line loaded on a 200 series reel with float and a very light telescopic rod.
Just 1 murral at the lake - caught on Ragi while fishing for Rohu and a small Mahseer of 750gms taken by Bobbee Kapoor at Forbes.
Rohu - Robby - 12.25Kgs & 9kgs
Murral- Robby - 1.5 Kgs
Rohu - Gavin - 12 Kg & 9.5 Kgs
Mahseer -Bobbee - 750gms
Rohu - Owen - 11.5 Kg, 10Kg & 6 Kg.
Total weight of fish caught from the lake = 72.5 Kgs

All taken on ragi/jeera/hing bait. with small carp hooks.
Only 1 fish of around 10kg's was lost due to lines crossing over, no other breaks or tear aways took place.

With the exception of the murral, all other fish were weighed & released.

One alarming point is that 2 of the Rohu caught by Gavin had some kind of unusual growths in them. I know what you guys are going to say seeing that it was Gavin, but if any of you have any experience on this, please take a close look at the fish and let us know what you think.
I believe around 5 other fish with similar abnormal growths have been caught so far at the same lake.

Unfortunately we were moving to Hiara, otherwise we could have taken one of these fish back to Bangalore to get them checked.

The river produced 18 Mahseer over 1 Kg, with countless small ones.
The whole of the bank at Hiara was full of baby mahseer of the blue fin, gold & silver varities.

Thye largest mahseer taken by us were 5.5 Kgs and 5 Kgs and almost all other anglers also struggled to catch anything bigger.
The total weight of the 18 mahseer of 1 Kg & above amounted to 39 Kgs
One Tilapia
One Carnatic
One Batchwa
One yellow cat
One murral made up the rest of the fish caught.

All in all a great outing, and i did have a rather interesting "one that got away".
It was the afternoon of the 1st session, and we were returning by coracle to the bank just below Hiara rapids, rather dejected after not even a bite, i had my chilwa trailing just below the coracle (unintentionally).
We were just 5 feet from the bank when my rod almost bounced out of the coracle. Thinking that it must have been snagged on a rock, or in some bush, i caught the rod, and was about to put it back properly in the coracle, when i had this arm wrenching pull, and this fish that i estimate to be over 20 Kgs, started towing the coracle with the 3 of us up the rapids.
Our guide Chikaraju did his best to move up with the fish, and i played the fish for around 5 minutes when all of a sudden the chilwa torn to shreds along with the hook came free. I had not had time to strike, which was probably the reason why i lost that fish.
No more such takes came our way, and we had to be content with the smaller guys.
One more interesting incident was the fact that there were a herd of elephants not more than 50 meters behind us every night, and another on the opposite bank. None of them showed themselves, but we certainly heard them all day and night.

Bharat lost his only mahseer, because he took a stroll and left his rod unattended on a bank stick. We saw his rod take a 3 foot dive into the water from where we were sitting in the coracle in the middle of the river, and hurried back. We dredged the area with our heavy lead and big hooks, and came up with the rod, about 20 feet from where he was fishing. The fish was still on, but got away after a few minutes as we were trying to untangle another snagged line.

Last edited by Owen on Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:31 pm 
Enlightened

Great story, great pics!!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:33 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey Owen ,, Great trip .. Finally someone with common sense to carry a camera along and post pics ... u listening bobster

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:49 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Owen,

Nice pics and it seems that you all had a great time.

Cheers,
Apoo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:00 am 

Hi Owen

Great pictures & fish

The Roho look similar to a the carp we have in England.

Look forward to hearing about your future adventures.

Stu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:41 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Owen,

Great trip, just a word on the Rohu, well it had to be Gavin, but it looks like it could be a parasitic infection, a tumor or a swim-bladder infection. I think that it might be the latter.

If it is the latter then it should phase off.

My brother told me a story when in Louisiana, they were fishing for Black Drum, he landed a few large ones 30lb+ when he took them home a was cleaning the first one the skin was moving, of further inspection it revealed the had a parasitic infection where some large “sperm shaped” parasite were moving under the skin [smilie=puking.gif] , he got rid of the fish and released every black drum he caught. The Mississippi bay is very polluted and he told me that these fish lie in wait in Mucky ditches that is where the parasites get to them.

Regards,

Bobby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:57 am 
Fishaholic

Thanks guys, i have almost the whole trip recorded on video cam.
Thanks Bobby for the info, the water at the lakes looks pretty clean, and there is a channel of water passing through the lake bringing fresh water through the lake all the time, but i have my doubts about the bigger lake above the channel where i have seen dead bodies floating.

It would be a good idea to have some of these fish checked, and if this is something contagious, then i am afraid Wasi is going to be loosing a lot of greatfish.

Stu - The Rohu are probably better fighters than the mirrors or leather back, probably even better fighters than the wild carp too. Most of them came close to emptying our reels time and again, and we had to resort to chasing them in a coracle for 6 of the 7 Rohu caught.

What we were really looking forward to catching was some of the big grass carp and catla in this lake, but no such luck.

Gavin, Robby and i caught sight of one of those catla that rose close to the coracle on 2 occasions, he was more than double the size of the largest Rohu we had seen.

The 2 fish with the unusual growth in their bellies also fought hard at the beginning, but came in a little quicker at the end.

Regards
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:37 pm 
Fishaholic

Looks great Owen, I particularly like the shots of the lead hanging on the line with the reels soft-focus in the background. Do you have plans to be a serious Tog?

I left a reply about the malformed Rohu on my planning post, but to paraphrase; I would guess its a natural deformity, or some kind of parasitic infestation.

Hopefully I'll be joining WASI in March and can get down to fish the lakes, I really like the idea of having a crack at those Rohu...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:34 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks Steve!
Thats the kind of setup i like using. Nice and neat and leave little to chance. The spiral leads are wound around silicon tubes and tapped smooth with a light hammer, then held in place with rubber shock beads at either ends and power gum to boot.
I am just learning how to use the camera Steve, there is so much that can be done with it, and i haven't even scratched the surface yet.
Regards
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:39 pm 
Fishaholic

Owen,
It would be my guess that you leave the camera on autofocus when taking self shots, perhaps on the timer as well?
I say that because whatever is in the middle of your shots is in full focus and the fish, which is usually below the middle of the frame and slightly forward, is out of focus.
When taking a self shot, I use the timer, but prefocus on something like a landing net handle, which is standing in the place where I will hold the fish.
This should leave me and the fish in full focus due to the way depth of field works.
Basically; at the point where the focus is fully sharp, there will be a range of in focus depth extending a short distance in front (1/3 of the sharp area) and further behind (2/3 of the sharp area). So it makes sense to focus on whatever will be at the front of the frame, as there is more margin for sharpness behind the sharp area than in front.
How much sharp area you get depends on the type of lens you are using and the aperture you (or the camera) has set.
Using a wide angle lens gives you more depth of field for a given aperture than a long lens will give.
I usually use an 18-35mm lens at around 24mm. This is equal to a 24-50 set around 35mm on a film camera, or digital with a full frame sensor.
With an aperture of f8 or f11 on this type of lens, there will be loads of depth of field. Probably enough to hold a fish at arms length to the camera and have both the fish and you in full focus.
Personally, I'm not a fan of the 'fish at arms length' style of pose, as I think it is only being used to pretend the fish is bigger than it looks, and I dont have that kind of ego!
Keep snapping and keep catching,
Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:46 pm 
Fishaholic

Just thinking about the 'fish at arms length' pose.
Some people may adopt this type of shot for the impact you get from having the fish 'in your face'.
I would always get an angler (or myself) to hold the fish angled towards the lens, with it's nose at the bottom left of the shot and the subject's head top right. Using a very wide lens (I also have a 10-20mm), you get a shot that is really 'up close and personal' while still being able to see all of the fish and the angler's beaming smile!

Don't forget to make sure your subjects get hands, fingers and other appendages out of the way of the fish, especially it's eyes.
If you lie a fish on one arm with your fingers splayed under it's head and the other hand lightly gripping the anal fin, most fish will sit still long enough to fire off a couple of shots.
When you hold them in the 'death grip', that's when they kick the most and protest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:24 am 
Fishaholic

Thanks for the tips Steve, will work on it.
Regards
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:22 am 
Fishaholic

Gav had 3 mahseer in a span of 30 minutes on his very first morning at Moslehalla. 2Kg's, 3 Kg's & 4Kg's, and blanked the rest of the trip.
The smile never went away though, and the dude kept his distance from the crocs & elephants but tortured the monkeys with the bait casting catapult. Must have been the scare he had when i took him murral spinning to murral market at midday.

There was pin drop silence, and you could hear the dead leaves hit the ground. There were many elephants in the area, and some had just left the spot we had chosen to spin at.

I got around to making a few casts, and then we heard this crick..crick...crick sound, of something walking over dead the leaves. Our man froze but somehow turned around to see what was stalking him. It turned out to be a small monkey. We both burst out laughing, and he had it in for the monkeys that visited our camp thereafter.

Robby was lucky to find a piece of a broken tusk from the very same spot an hour before we arrived. The elephants must have been scrapping with each other, and it came from a very young elephant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:03 pm 
Fishaholic

Yes. those monkeys deserved what they got.. Bloody tree-hoppers scared the craps out of me... And then you had Owen telling me that the released a leopard in the forest as well..

Anyways had a blast over there.. I think Owen has written everything that has to be said and even the pictures themselves speak a 1000 words..

Am still not out of the daze yet and am not sure I want to be either.. Had a real fabulous time. The experience was great, the fishing was greater and the company.. well ... Thank You guys !! Each and everyone of you.. yes, Bharat, you too !!!

Rob - After all the talks on the phone, we finally met and I wont forget the ride back to Bangalore , in Suku's jeep.. Covered in dust, drinking cold beer, and trading some good stories and tips about fishing.. And the pit stops were really great.. [smilie=superkewl.gif]

Aditya - Our resident director and camera man. Great job dude [smilie=thatworks.gif] Every IA member can do with a sense of enthu that this guy has for nature.. One of the most calmest guys that I have seen around.. And someone who made sense of the madness that was out camp.. Thanks pal..
P.S. - Please have a bath on time :twisted:

Bobby - Thanks a ton.. For an old-timer, your enthu and interest would put most of the youngsters to shame.. Had a fantastic time.. Do apologise if I pissed you off in anyway :oops:
Might be the only crazy bugger to take his Chevy thru that terrain but you did it with a smile and the occassional, "Bharat, dont bang the door so hard ! " :lol:
Thank you Sir !! [smilie=superkewl.gif]

Bharat - Well kiddo !! Things would not have been the way they were if you were not around.. :wink: But glad you came along. You got on my nerves at times but no hard feelings.. Thanks for taking my mind off them tuskers and cats :lol:
Next time ensure you hold on your rod :twisted:

Finally,
Owen - 6 months ago, I wished to fish for mahseer. Thanks to you, you made it possible.. Never thought that I would have such a great time but all credit for this trip goes to you, dude !! Nothing i can write can express what an amazing trip I had... You taught me a lot dude !! Thanks ..
Thanks for putting me up for the extra day.. Please thank Nana as well.. She is a real sweetheart.. !! [smilie=huggles.gif]
Owen - Thanks [smilie=superkewl.gif] [smilie=superkewl.gif] You the man ! [smilie=madking.gif]

Bops - thank you as well.. Without this forum, am sure I would not have made this trip. Thanks dude 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:12 pm 
Fishaholic

Gavin .. -pls go to a doctor and get yourself checked thoroughly ... by doctor I mean Shrink .. Owen ,,, what did you do to the half bong ...So many thanks... Gav you sound like Madonna at the MTV awards who has just recieved the award for the hit single "LIke a Virgin .. touched for the very first time "

Just kidding pal ... Looks like you had a blast and the stars in your head are making you think straight for a while ... well not excatly straight but who gives a fluff ...

Next trip VJ Durg ...??? 27th Dec - 30th Dec ... U on ??

I promise that post the trip you can do a Madonna once again on the forum

Lemme know

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:38 pm 
Site Admin

Hey Gav, glad you guys had a good time! Rustam, Dhanu and I fished the WASI lakes soon after you did and got the entire trip report from the Ghillies. Good show!

Bops

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:18 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey Freddie - If I ask my boss for anymore leave, the bugger might tell me to leave and dont come back :lol: :lol:

Anyways, am making plans to be back in March sometime..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:40 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey Guys,

Great to see you had a good time and got some fantastic rohu. I wish I could have joined you. Well I guess I can't crib too much as I am fishing here as well.

Regards,

Mighty Marlin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:30 am 
Fishaholic

Fredfish wrote:
So many thanks... Gav you sound like Madonna at the MTV awards who has just recieved the award for the hit single "LIke a Virgin .. touched for the very first time "

THIS has got the be the funniest thing I have read on the forum :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: still laughing
:P :P :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:06 am 

Ahh.. that was a trip... well there is one thing you'll missed out.. MY ENCOUNTER WITH AN ELEPHANT... after owen uncle lost his massive fish in the coracle he got off and joined me to walk back to camp.. thanks to his skyscrapic long legs he was almost a mile ahead of me.. walking thru the rocks i could hear leaves crunching behind me.. without hesitating i turned back thinking it was munnaswamis helper bringing the coracle.. but to my surprise i see THE most gigantic elephant ever... it was like 10 feet away from me.. i had 2 rods in one hand and a bag in the other... the next thing i hear.. Owen ucle is screaming out my name thinking im lost... everytime he screamed my name out the animal walked a little closer.. i slowly backed away and the elephant peacefully turned and walked away.. when it was out of sight.. i yell.. "IM HEEEERRREEEE"... the next thing i know is getting a lecture for not replying to owen uncles calls.. Damn those yellowish brown eyes were scarier than the exorcist..

Then another incident...Early mornin after breakfast... Gavin, Owen Uncle, Robby Uncle and Adi go fishing, my granddad and me are at camp.... when he wasnt looking i made pug marks all around the camp site with my hand which robby uncle taught me to do.. i did this purposely coz the guide said he heard animals in the night.. later i show my grand dad these marks and he goes crazy and starts yelling we hafta change cam site.. there were pug marks all around his tent and all around the chairs and table... It seriously freaked him out.. later when they came back he told them about this and i was smiling the whole time till gavin ruined the show by saying it could only had been me.. who had done this... man that was an extremely amusing moment.. then there were also a whole lot of videos taken... OF WHICH I NEED TO MAKE THE MOVIE.. guys i need the footage...

Out of all the footage i had i created a music video dedicated to our trip and the link to it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jj-GFzsWRUE

Can i embed videos here??

Lets try :twisted: :

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jj-GFzsWRUE"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jj-GFzsWRUE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:10 am 

ooops no can do.. my bad ...; im the inquisitive one... lol:P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:44 pm 

Great catches!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:02 pm 
Fishaholic

Great report, Owen.
Has the Kaveri ban been lifted ?