[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 571: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 627: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1075: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1075: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5336: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5336: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
Angling competition at Yumthang, Sikkim. - INDIANANGLER ->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:49 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 5:13 pm 
Fishaholic

After a bad trip to the Teesta during April, me and my uncle Shankar were invited by the one Mr. Udai Rai to join the angling competition from 11th to 14th of May at Yumthang in Sikkim. Initially I planned to take my wife with us so that she could have some good time there. After booking the tickets from 11th to 15th of May, all hell broke loose. My father had some kind of heart problems and he had to be admitted to the hospital. I was almost sure that i would not be able to make it to the competition. But he was discharged from the hospital on 10th noon and he himself told me to go and join the competition. So i started packing my gears and clothings. It was just about 11.00 pm at night when i was going through my final check with all the things that a call came at my wife's mobile. Her grandmother had expired. We hurriedly went to her grandfathers place to pay our last respect to the departed soul. I was totally devastated as i was sure that i would have to cancel the trip. Some of my wife's family members had given me the hope again by telling me to go and join the competition. I knew my wife would surely cancel her visit and would be upset if i go for an angling trip at that moment. I called up Shankar at around 12.00 am to convey the message that i would not be making the trip and he has to go on his own now. But my inner self was telling me not to cancel the trip. So I told my wife that I would be attending the meet at any cost. Decided to go, I went to bed to take a nap and take a train at 7.00 am in the morning.

In the morning I called Shankar that I had decided to attend the meet. We decided to meet at the station and proceed together.

After a seven hour journey by train, we reached the NJP station at Siliguri where another angler named Premdan was waiting for us. From the railway station we went shopping for the most essential stuffs (beers, booze, cigerattes etc) and headed straight to the hills. The weather hot and humid in Siliguri but once we reached the foothills the temperature gradually came down.

We reached the Mangan Town at 10.30 at night. There, rooms were booked in advance for us, thanks to Mr. Udai, and even the food was kept hot in casaroles and kept in our rooms. We went to bed by 11.30.

On 12th, we woke up early so that we could start early and reach Yumthang at the earliest and start fishing. After a few kilometers from Mangan, there was a police check post in a place called Toong. We were stopped there for the documents verifications. There they informed us that we can preceed no longer with the West Bengal registered tourist vehicle as it had permission to go up to Gangtok only. We met the police officer who was in duty at that time to request him to allow us to proceed at the earliest as we had a special permit for that vehicle authorised by the DC's office. Due to some communication gap we were not allowed to proceed further. We came back to Mangan again and went to the Police station to meet the OC of that station. There someone senior to the OC was playing carrom with his juniors. We introduced ourselves and narrated the whole story and showed him our documents. He called the OC immediately and instructed him to help us in any way possible. Since there were no telephone towers in those areas they had to use wireless sets to relay messages to all the police out posts they had on the way to Yumthang instructing them to allow us to go up to Yumthang valley. By around 4.00pm we started our journey again. After that nobody stopped us anywhere.

We reached Yumthang by around 8.30-9.00 pm and was warmly welcomed by the other anglers from Sikkim. We missed a full day of the competition. Still our hopes were high and after having filled our bellies with a lot of booze and hot dinner, we went to sleep.

13th Morning. We were given identity cards and a after a small introductory talk by Dr. Namgyal T Sherpa, we went fishing. The place was heavenly and the river very promising. Premdan got the first catch. It was a rainbow of 970 gms. Than I hooked a brown of 1.110gms. After that Shankar hooked one brown weighing 1.100gms. My catch was the biggest catch of the day till Premdan hooked another brown weighing 1.400gms. After that we couldnt catch any more trouts for the rest of the day.

The next day on14th, we went to some other part of the river having some promising pools but couldnt hook any fish as the river was a little murky because of the rains the previous night. By noon, we packed up our things and and went fishing again for an hour. No catch at all. Mr. Premdan got the 1st prize, Me the second and Shankar the third. We were also given a glass trophy as winning team. We came back very happy. After crossing so many hurdles from the beginning of the journey, we got something.

We reached Siliguri at 9.30pm on 14th and stayed there for the night. On 15th, we boarded the train at 11.00 am and reached back home at 7.00pm. I showed the certificates and the trophy to my wife and family members.

Here are the pics. This trip was one of the best fishing trips i had undertaken till now. Here come the pics.

At Mangan

In front of the Toong Police Out Post. We waited for more than 3hrs there.

With some of the anglers from Sikkim

Early morning at the camp.

More pics to continue.

Cheers,
Apoo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 5:46 pm 
Fishaholic

At 12000 feet, we had a horrible time with the cold weather. Our eye lids and lips were swollen like anything. Breathing problems, tiredness, headaches etc were there but we enjoyed to the fullest. Here are some more pics.

Mr. Premdan

From L to R- Shankar, Premdan and me

Dr. Namgyal giving a speech on 13th morning.

Mr. Udai Rai (3rd from right). His son is also an avid angler (behind him)

Premdan's catch

Me and my catch

Shankar's catch

Premdan's prized catch

The Lachung Valley

Big NHPC dam coming up at Chungthang

Devastation caused by the big earthquake last year

Dikchu confluence

Dikchu Dam

Cheers,
Apoo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 6:52 pm 

wonderful pics and congratulations!... must have been a trip of a lifetime. Also, condolences to your family.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 7:50 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks Aaron. You have spelt my words. I will go there again if invited again. Where are you now a days?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 8:24 pm 
Fishaholic

Beautiful place, heaven on earth I guess :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 8:40 pm 
Fishaholic

Yes. Heaven on earth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:48 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Apoo,

Thanks very much for taking the time to write such a good trip report and to post so many images. I wish your father all the best, and condolences on the passing of your wife's grandmother. It must have been a hard decision to make whether to go to the competition or not.

What a beautiful beautiful landscape-it looks like its not just the fishing there that can keep ones interest! Stunning views and flowers too.

Well done on the catches in what looked like hard conditions..I know that feeling of suddenly being at a high altitude when not properly acclimatised.

I look forward to your next trip report from over your side :-)

All the best, Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:53 pm 
Enlightened

super like......envy you.....but at the same time i am sorry for your loss also.

would love to plan a trip together hopefully......

tightlines
mchishi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 10:02 pm 

@apoo-i'm still posted in majuli....no time/chance to fish nowadays, rising water levels-->water borne diseases-->less free time for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 11:49 pm 
Fishaholic

When the going gets tough.. the tough go fishing.

Beautiful pictures Apoo..., and amazing location. A dream destination for every outdoor person.

My sincere condolences on the death of your wife's grandmother & I wish your father best health.

Regards,

Santosh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 11:54 pm 
Fishaholic

apoo...Man I don't have words to describe the beauty of sikkim... Just... beautiful... beautiful trouts, and condolences to your family...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 7:11 am 
Fishaholic

Beautiful place. Great fishing. Only wish it was closer!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 9:42 am 
Fishaholic

Great going Apoo.
The pictures say it all.
Wonderful.
Good sized trout they are.
Thanks a million for sharing.

Ravi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 9:43 am 

Hi apoo, that was a good post. Its beautiful Sikkim. Its one of the must visit places in my list. What would be a good month to visit Sikkim, I guess the winter months of December should be too cold.
Vardraj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 9:44 am 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 9:46 am 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 9:46 am 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 9:47 am 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 9:48 am 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 9:50 am 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 9:51 am 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 9:59 am 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 10:00 am 
Fishaholic

prize distribution ceremony

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 10:02 am 
Fishaholic

Some of the anglers had already left the day before and some had left early in the morning that day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 1:12 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Appoo,

Its the bless from the nature ,a dream location . Such amazing views , .Really bright and marvelous . I truly loved every bit of the pictures.

Many congratulations from me and my friends they too enjoyed a lot.

good luck and happy fishing

best regards
fishergomain

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 7:55 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 9:06 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 9:51 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 12:27 am 
Fishaholic

Appo,

In future, your such kind of post with photographs will not be accepted without a statuary warning / health advisory such as...

"This post can cause heart ache, can give sleepless night and detract any angler from his day to day life" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ok, jokes apart, lovely scenery, some fabulous waters and great fishes. Well done and congratulation on bagging a prize and certificate over and above enjoying such fabulous opportunities and company.

Its good to see, two out of three prizes coming to a family.. Congratulations to Shankar too..

Regards,

Ali..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 12:29 am 
Fishaholic

Just one question, were you only spinning or you also tried fly fishing.. Looks like a fly fishing heaven to me..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 11:26 am 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 11:32 am 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 6:36 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 6:41 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 6:45 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 6:46 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 10:29 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 9:09 am 

Excellent trip report and lovely photos, pal. Congrats on being able to make it despite all the problems and on the trophies. Way to gp bro!
Am doing a Sikkim trip (K'pong, Yumthang, Gangtok) between 4-16 Jun. Shall msg you for some detailed advice on gear & localtion.. :)
Ciao
Shyam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 10:50 am 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 10:52 am 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 10:39 am 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 11:07 am 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:31 pm 
Fishaholic

First of all please accept my condolonces on your loss and best wishes for your father;s speedy recovery.
Congrats on winning prizes for you and your team. Wonderful write up and lovely pictures.
Regards

Post subject: Hi
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:05 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject: thanks
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:36 am 
Enlightened

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:57 pm 
Fishaholic

Apoo,

Thanks very much for sharing your excellent Report and beautiful pics. The scenery and flora is mindblowing. You have captured the Rhododendron Flowers in your camera very nicely.

My heartfelt condolences on sad demise of your wife's grandmother and I wish your dad a speedy recovery and Best Wishes for a Long and active life.

Best Wishes to You and Your Family,

Regards,

Arun