[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 571: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 627: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1075: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1075: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5336: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5336: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
MY FIRST RAVAS AND GROUPER - INDIANANGLER ->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:53 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:30 pm 
Fishaholic

hi guys, i just returned from a short trip to the gujrat coast and managed to catch my first ravas and grouper from there. the first day we drew a blank but the next day we went to a spot where the rocks jut out into the sea forming a finger. on the right side is the deep sea while on the left side is a cove where there is slack water. once the water starts returning on the ebb, the action begins... the ravas line up for an easy meal in the turbulent waters formed by the rocks. i cast my yo zuri crystal minnow as far as i could in the fast water and let the current take the lure through the turbulent waters into the slack water where the lure would be plastered followed by a fantastic run and a screaming reel. the ravas is really the cheetah of the sea and i have never experienced anything like this before..... not even in mahseer fishing in the fast waters of the himalayas.

i managed to hook five big ravas and lost them very near the shore because the lure came off . the mouth is very bony and offers very poor hookhold. my local friend who is a very experienced handliner told me that the treble hooks have to be twisted in a certain way for them to hold. i thought he was pulling a fast one on me and ignored his advise. after having lost five fish i let him have his way and landed the sixth one even after a lot of leaping.

the third day was spent trolling and anchoring on nearby islands where we caught a few groupers and snappers. here are a few pictures

TACKLE:

ROD - SHIMANO MH 9FT

REEL- SHIMANO BAITRUNNER 6000D

LINE- SPIDERWIRE 30LB BRAID

LURES- YO ZURI CRYSTAL MINNOW, LIL CLEO SPOON, HALCO SORCERERS AND ASSORTED RAPALAS

Uploaded with

Last edited by dr aamir bhavnagri on Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:42 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:50 pm 
Fishaholic

I'm glad I reserved this space to let you know I was the first to read the writeup and maybe the last now to view the pics.

Awesome doctor, my dream fish is what you got! absolutely awesome! Nice spread of species you've caught now from the freshest and saltiest waters in the world. Doctor! when are we going fishing again? I never thought your rod would be able to handle what it has but it has before however nice new shimano I guess its better for saltwater.

Regards,
Omesh

Last edited by Omesh.Moorjani on Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:20 pm 
Fishaholic

awesome report aamir ji
Rawas, grouper, snapper and bream... Beautiful fishes... And congrats on your first rawas and grouper... Beautiful locations too... :-)

Last edited by raka on Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:36 pm 
Fishaholic

Oh thats some nice superlike fish Caught Doc,
Tightline and keep posting!!!
Rgds
Mayue

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:56 pm 
Fishaholic

Superb Doc,

I am so sure you must have had a blast with ravas taking your lures. With regards to the hooks bent I have seen them on rapala xrap jointed slash bait. The belly hooks are slightly inwards as compared to the trebles on tail.

The murkier water looks like a perfect spot for species like ravas and barras.

Thanks for sharing.

DeZZ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:19 am 
Fishaholic

Congratulation Dr. Aamir! You are having a blast in Sea! keep them coming!

That rawa is looking in perfect shape! and some nice groupers!

Regards
Arish!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:35 am 
Fishaholic

:D :D congratulations Doc!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:45 am 
Fishaholic

Congrats..Nice catches Doc!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:16 am 
Fishaholic

Super fishing there Doc & a very nice report. Congrats. :)))

Ravas is one special fish.. [smilie=coolup.gif]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:21 am 
Fishaholic

Congrats Dr Aamir for your first Ravas and Grooper...Super pics with awesome report...

Thanks,
Sandip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:21 am 
Fishaholic

OMG!
Awesome!
fantastic!
U got urself a Ravas.
Congrates mate.

One question
How much variation would a Ravas lure retrieve speed be as compared to other rock fishes?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:55 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Dr. I mean the Doc only lol . I'm very happy for you, i'm sure your joy may have not known any bounds when you landed the ravas. Congrats on all the fishes you landed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:21 am 
Fishaholic

Amir,

Nice to see some salt water action on your coast. was this off mitapur?. nice pictures. The ravas looks cool.

Jeen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:28 am 
Fishaholic

Wonderful fishing there Doc. Congrats for the fish caught and happy fishing. The ravas is a beauty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:38 am 
Fishaholic

Congrats buddy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:45 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:03 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:23 pm 
Fishaholic

Hearty Congratulations to Aamir on that wonderful fishing trip :D and you also deserve a special Congrats for that Rawas which is still a distant dream for some anglers :P
Nice jumbo size of a grouper and also a good bream
I am very happy for you Bro :D

Hmmmmmm [smilie=umm.gif] :roll: You caught Murrells , Barras , GTs , Mangrove Jacks , Rawas , Breams and Groupers [smilie=umm2.gif]

Now what else is left for you to Hook O Fishy Doc ??? :P :lol:

:twisted: Ohhh yes !! just a few more to add to that Have Hooked List :lol: ---> Baracuda , Tuna and Marlin

Carry On Doctor :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:05 pm 
Fishaholic

Congratulations Dr. Aamir

I m sure you guys had on wonderful fishing trip.. nice log and photos too.

Thanks for sharing info:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:31 pm 
Enlightened

Well constructed report Dr. Aamir
Good variety of species and plenty fish caught, well done!!
Love the pictures.

- Jehangir

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:00 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:27 am 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:29 am 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:33 am 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:36 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:51 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:43 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:17 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:56 am 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:26 am 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:56 pm 
Fishaholic

Good work Doc! You have already become a pro now...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:08 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:22 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:43 pm 
Fishaholic

great fishing doctor :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:42 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:56 am 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:50 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:01 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:50 am 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:39 am 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:59 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Doc,

I was working on a ravas species document sometime year before last and I had compiled some serious data with illustrations from various sources that I wanted to post on IA but it got just too vast eventually. My laptop crashed and I lost almost everything on there. I had somewhere saved part of that doc that extended into several pages on a hard-drive, that got busted too, but I managed to salvage that info and save it to another drive somewhere. I need to locate what I had and will post some of the info here. I was doing this for personal satisfaction as I am fascinated by this fish and wanted to learn more. A kind of pursuit of knowledge.

All Ravas are Polynemids - Family Polynemidae.

Yours should be a Eleutheronema tetradactylum

I would not call yours a Juvi, how heavy was it? I have seen Ravas that size with roe in it but these were Eleutheronema rhadinum, an almost identical fish available in this part of the world. I understand you said the tetradactylus was absent, yours could be a young fish with thin threadfins, just guessing here.

There are 8 major Ravas species and several subspecies, I will need to locate my notes to go into the subspecies, but will only post if anyone is really interested, it is can be really painful:

Eleutheronema
Filimanus
Galeoides
Leptomelanosoma
Parapolynemus
Pentanemus
Polydactylus
Polynemus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:09 pm 
Fishaholic

do post bobby..