[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 571: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 627: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1075: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1075: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5336: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5336: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
My first Mahseer !!! - Page 3 - INDIANANGLER ->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:23 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 11:03 am 
Fishaholic

Beautiful fish Raka, this may not be a Rohu, let wait for the experts...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 11:08 am 
Fishaholic

congrats rakesh. nice fish, shows that hardwork/dedication pays. wish you many more !

cheers
samit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 12:16 am 
Fishaholic

Post subject: Dear,rakesh bahi
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 2:41 pm 
Enlightened

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 11:35 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 3:54 pm 
Fishaholic

I don't know what to call this trip... so adding slashes

The promising place/Murrel's family/tilapia's back: with a vengeance/pabda on spinner/me first kolus/etc. etc.
by raka

finally got a day off today and planned a fishing trip with a friend, but he couldn't come. I said what the hell, and went for it alone anyways.
prayed at the mazar, and off I go...

Went to the promising place me and nirupam da had "rediscovered", parked my bike, prepared my setup and started casting...
first cast tilapia second cast tilapia third cast tilapia... bohoring... then casted a little further and sat. the float went under and I jerked the rod back.
the fish didnt fight came straight like a lure or a dead fish... a kolus.
casted again and again a bite ! one more kolus !... wondered "at least something different today"
then again TilapiatilapiaTilapiatilapiaTilapiatilapia... feeling bored na ? that was my haal at that time...:(
tried at different places and positions, but still no bites, except the sons of fishes tilapia. became exhausted because of the heat, plus hunger.
Then came dada with positive energy, a cold drink and vada pavs... :lol: Rejuvenated, I cast my line under the guidance of dada.
saw some flashes of a big rohu but couldnt get it as small tilapia would attack the bait first like a bunch of bhukkads... tried 5 times, then gave up.
then it happened...

dada noticed a beautiful murrel with his/her red fry ball... signaled me to come, I saw it and went emotional... I was like "awww !, choo chweet".
ahem ahem... Anyways, I observed for a while and saw quite a lot of small fry balls around, so thought lets try for murrel ! may be my first murrel will be today !
took my best spinner, went down and started casting at the balls.
three casts no luck, plus couldn't see the balls from this angle so asked nirupam da to guide me to the location of the balls.
cast and a hit !!! wow what a feeling ! after all these months of giving up hope on lure fishing in freshwater, it finally Worked !
Retrieved the line saw the splash on the surface and thought it was a murrel ... wrong, it was a full sized pabda.
still the excitement didnt vanish and nirupam da could see me shouting and jumping on the bank with excitement.
Finally... :mrgreen:

After I met up with nirupam da, who saw all the action from top angle, I realised I actually saved the fry from the pabda !
he told me that he saw the pabda constantly attacking the murrel fry ball, and that I had by chance or fate it seems, had casted at the exact place where the pabda was !
"I think I was born murrel guardian or something" :lol:

Here are a few pics.

seeing this sight in the morning really made my day :D

My first kolus really adapted for clouded waters and rocky and silty places...

The head really looks like some kind of alien fish species from outer space !

moms woolen gloves really helped since I caught my biggest carp :D tight grip !

Butter catfish on my precious spinner... handcrafted cum modified jyaada :lol:

close up !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 7:17 pm 
Fishaholic

Beauty , Lovely place.
I can dream of carp fishing in such a lovely place.

regards
fishergomian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 8:14 pm 
Fishaholic

nice one Rakesh! we all were feeling bad you didnt get to fish really on Sunday and had to leave early....... I guess it was the same spot! man it gets real hot! there! well! really nice pabda on spinner! much bigger than most other ones caught, congrats for your first fish on the lure your biggest carp and the biggest Pabda! must've really been good eating! Well hopefully some murrels are still there!

Congrats on the catch!

Regards,
Omesh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 8:24 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi fishergomian,
Its a peaceful and a beautiful place. a very good place to fish if you take the heat factor out...

Hi Omesh,
thanks bro...I think the murrels that I saw and those "locals" caught were the small variety and not the Big murrel variety that manish catches in nagpur... got some fries home from there, will raise them for project murrel...:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 8:57 pm 
Fishaholic

true that the ones here are small and I doubt if they would even grow to those sizes. None the less we have murrel in Pune waters is a blessing! good on you for project murrel but I hope they don't grow too big too soon and threaten any other species you got or have you kept it in a seperate tank. well I don't know if its the sheer scarcity of them or what but have never seen a big one from in or around pune waters the ones I have seen of late the biggest one was Dada' maybe 1lbs at the most.

Regards,
Omesh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 9:04 pm 
Fishaholic

hmm... the big variety is also there, but havent seen them breeding. maybe they are not as bold in showing off their breeding n young as these small ones are... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 9:36 pm 
Fishaholic

you sure the big variety is there in the same spot?! if yes I guess they might come out at night and might take the frogs!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 10:02 pm 
Fishaholic

dont know about the same spot, might be there, but its there in the "other spot" you visited earlier that day ;)... that fat guy who netted the area had caught big ones before on the backwaters... one around 2 kgs...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 10:17 am 
Fishaholic

the place looks nice. congrats on the fishes mate. wish you many more

cheers
samit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 11:03 am 
Fishaholic

The water body looks promising. Congrats for the catch.

Post subject: Beware aquarium
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 11:41 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 11:54 pm 
Fishaholic

thanks guys :D this is the kind of place every angler dreams of fishing in, peaceful, in the lap of nature with all sorts of wild creatures, and enjoying angling...

Hi bob,
My community aquarium consists of wild caught fish species ! malabar danion, loaches, even had prawns ! thats why I am keeping them. :)

Post subject: Aquarium
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 11:16 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 11:38 am 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 1:50 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 2:27 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 4:13 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 10:43 am 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 1:05 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject: hii dear
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 1:14 pm 
Enlightened

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 3:17 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject: okk dear
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 4:58 pm 
Enlightened

Post subject: hii raka bhai
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:15 pm 
Enlightened

pic upload kar liya hun aapke commnt ka intezar hai

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:50 pm 
Fishaholic

Raka, that is lovely water body, congrats on the fish caught.. :))

Post subject: Re: hii raka bhai
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:49 pm 

Post subject: hiiii
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:08 pm 
Enlightened

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:26 am 
Fishaholic

Thanks santosh... more to come ! :D

Irfaan bhai aapne imageshack se kiya kya ? copy th eurl and paste it here... baaki saara kaam main kar dunga

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:38 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:45 am 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:54 pm 
Fishaholic

My first Mahseer

It's been a long time since I caught something(exclude tilapia), but didnt know that something on my line would be the dream fish ranked no. 1 on my list of dream catches...

Rains had started in pune, and Was very busy with work, and because of most off days returning home empty handed(exclude tilapia), I had lost all hope...

Then my family tells me They are planning a trip to my village... finally !
Took 4 days leave from office and took off ! It was like the rains were waiting for me to arrive there... It had not rained all these days and it rained The day I arrived... damn !

the water level rose and became muddy and I lost all hope of fishing (because According to the locals, heavy rains had not poured in the month of june, like they used to every year and thats when the fish climb up to lay eggs. and this sudden downpour meant that the fish that had been waiting all these months would breed now and barely touch anything )
But still thought lets try be happy with whatever I get.

Day 1
morning time
checked a spot out near to a place where we used to take bath. Water was deep and a couple of trees and shrubs were diverting the fast flow from there... took earthworms on a float and tried... first cast no bites.

meanwhile my dad caught one 6 inch long khavlya on earthworm from the side.

2nd cast, I threw my paternsoter a little far into the current t check if it was working properly

Failure... The hooklength and the sinker length had wound itself up and that made me nervous and Disheartened.
" Planning is one thing, Putting it into Practical and getting excellent results and that too in the first try is Impossible"

I angrily removed the paternoster and changed to my normal float setup

casted and something took the bait and started taking it towards the snag... I didnt jerk but slowly lifted the rod up to check and !!!
It was a huge crab, clinging onto my baited hook. lowered it onto the bank and dad took care of it 8) at the same time I noticed the Khavlya/ barb struggling in the holding net. tried pulling it and another crab ! this one was playing tug of war with me ! dad went under and caught that guy from its pincers.
fed up of all the crabs playing with our bait and catch, we left for home.

Evening time
Dad wasnt waking up after his noon nap, So I got ready took my raincoat and stuff and took a walk to the same spot.

Arrived at the spot and started casting with the flow... a few bites but no Strikes...
Some of the passerby were drunk and disturbing and irritating me, so I thought of changing spot.

Then I heard from a local to check a spot where a owdha and river were meeting... reached that spot... very slippery as I was on a kind of delta formed by the two water bodies and this was all muddy and grassy at the same time...

This time I didnt panic and took my paternoster and reversed it(hook to the main line, weight seperated with a bead and tied to a swivel on the line), lessened the weight and the weight length line and changed the hook to smaller one.

First cast
into the sangam and the float went under pulled back retrieved and it was a beautiful "goonchkacousin" catfish. took a few pictures and back it goes.
Please Id

The Head resembles that of a goonch...

A local handliner came there, enquired a little and sat a little further from me.

again, hook baited with earthworm and just for timepass threw it a little far off the sangam and into the current... held the line with hand, felt a bite and jerked the rod back. felt nothing except for the flow... started retrieving, felt a little extra weight thought might be some snag/ twig and thats when the little guy started fighting.
"If you are on the line with a mahseer for the first time, never underestimate it, no matter what the size."

This guy went a little under and a little left and right... no krrring of reel here as he was small, though he did give a nice tug for 30 secs or so.
I being impatient wanted to see what was giving so much of fight and reeled it in and pulled it up instead of playing.

On a closer look...Wait a minute... WTF ! Holy Sh...carp

that feeling... cant describe it...
Now to release it back... 15 sec rule was way past(With me holding it dumbstruck, as though somebody had just dumped a pot of gold in front of me)
Snapped out of it, pulled out my camera and took a few pics...
In a hurry, changed to video and took this whilst releasing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WD-zc5x9WHg

I forgot to turn off the video recording and it kept playing... that local handliner asked me "why did you release it back ? was it carrying eggs ?"

to this I said " Its a Mahseer, We are supposed to release it back. there are very few of them here"

this is what the handliner caught afterwards

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fI7496MApdA

Mahseer Awareness has been created in my village...:D So that people will think twice before keeping one for the pot. Nobody doesn't even know its our national fish...They say "never heard of it".

Regards

raka

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:18 am 
Fishaholic

WOW! Congratulations!

Regards,
Omesh

Post subject: hii
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:57 pm 
Enlightened

wow raka bhai u rocks,,and execelent narationn..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:51 pm 
Fishaholic

Man! sorry for the outburst but!!!!!! you gotta help me land one of those! hopefully bigger!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:56 pm 
Fishaholic

one small doubt here! is Mahseer actually our national fish or is it mackrel as this link from wiki says

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_N ... h_of_India

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:46 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:10 pm 
Enlightened

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:29 pm 
Enlightened

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:15 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:34 am 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:59 am 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:50 pm 
Enlightened

Again typing error... Its catching... :)

:D :D :D :D :D ......i know...Black Dog (an anglers blend) won over me last night :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:07 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks Dezz and saikat bhai... :D

Hi mchishi,
Hmm... I always wondered why that fishing fly on the back of dada's black dog bag... then searched and found that the guy was an angler and that fly (named "black dog") was his favourite fly fishing fly... :D

Post subject: Congrats
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:43 pm 
Fishaholic

Congrats Rakesh,

At last lady Luck seems to be be finally smiling at you. Great catch. keep on bashing.
Regards
cavalier

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:28 pm 
Fishaholic

Thank you Col !
Pray I get a big one next time ! :D

regards
raka