[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 571: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 627: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1075: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1075: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5336: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5336: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
My first Mahseer !!! - INDIANANGLER ->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:37 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: My first Mahseer !!!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:48 pm 
Fishaholic

Got my first big tilapia and opened the account on my modified cum repaired jyaada shakespeare tiger stick...

Story coming soon...

Last edited by raka on Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:43 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Post subject: My first big tilapia...
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:57 pm 
Fishaholic

My first big tilapia
by rakesh patil(raka)

Each day had been like hell for me, each day we went for fishing,
our hopes were high but most of the time we got disappointed by fate...
But this day was different...

Like any other sunday, I got up early in the morning...
took my stuff and met nirupam da. Today planned to go on bike as we had to check a remote fishing spot where cars couldn't go.
prayed at the mazaar(the one nirupam da told me about fulfils wishes) I prayed for a little longer this time.
Hit the usual spot in the morning first to check if there was any hope left there. None... :(

tried my pop up rigs, but didn't get time to check it properly as no bites were observed and we were eager to try the new place, so tried till 11 am, gave up and were about to leave when dada noticed my bike's tyre deflated.
"Aargh its punctured !!!". Cursed my bad luck and took the bike 1 km to repair...

We travelled through trecharous terrain, through hilltops and barren lands(Nirupam da thought he was bear grylls from Man Vs Wild :lol: ),
through roads filled with potholes and finally reached "the remote fishing spot". lot of local anglers were fishing there, asked them details of the place, and started casting...
problems as construction work was going on nearby and an electric wire was hanging too close to the bridge due to which we couldn't cast too far...
My fishing intuition noticed a spot close to the bridge from where long casts could be done... So I packed my bag and went there... Tried my Modified cum Repaired jyaada Shakespeare tiger stick in this place with a float and my old line...
didnt get any bites for a few minuted then...

The float submerged and the rod jerking in my hand. Got surprised (Didn't expect it), excited(It's been a while), puzzled(What could it be ?) and nervous(Just dont get de-hooked !)
Shouted DADA !!! nirupam da came running and stood by me... it was a small tilapia :roll: ... "Something is better than nothing" He said.
He dunked the tilapia in the holding net and went back to the bridge...

I casted again and again a small one ! The local anglers left the place as they had other plans, and we both started casting from the same spot.
nirupam da caught 4 small to medium sized tilapias, and two singharas. I noticed a fallen tree branch to the right and thought it might be good to cast there.
Didn't notice it, but my chappati was being eaten... Slowly and slowly my float went down and down and down and... I finally noticed it and pulled my rod back with a jerk ! Bam !!!
Holy Carp It was a Fish on, and It was Big ! Tried pulling it with brute strength to the bank but couldn't ! What the fish it was ? looked like he was playing with me rather than me playing with him.
left right left right left right... after 10 seconds gave the rod to nirupam da who Fought it for 1 minute or so and finally managed to bring it ashore.
I caught it but couldnt climb up as my hands were busy... A onlooking fisherman/good Samaritan took the fish from my hand and helped me up... It was huge !!!

Uploaded with

Uploaded with

that was my moment of happiness... even though tilapia, I caught a big one !!! took some snapshots and in it goes the
landing bag...

Tried after that but bites got decreased, Got one small bugger who Fought back like a man ! tried unhooking it near a mud pool, that son of a gun struggled and slapped mud all over my face ! :x
I think he was thinking "take this ! and this ! buri nazar waale tera muh kaala !"

Finally packed up and went happily home... with mind, and heart at peace...Thank you god ! Faith is good...

My old and faithful modified cum repaired jyaada shakespeare tiger stick and okuma silvara reel with 12lb mono...

Uploaded with

Uploaded with

I know not that great but It has been a long time... this season's been pretty dry...

Uploaded with

Uploaded with

Ze big one-u !
and it was still alive ! well not that alive...

Uploaded with

Uploaded with

here's a link to the video of the big one in my aquarium... just before he died...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJqDyNiq ... e=youtu.be

I thank IA and its members for educating me on angling and providing me with unlimited information on it, my puneri angler buddies for planing trips and making me learn by observing them in action, Daryl and nirupam da for teaching me a few tricks of the trade...still to learn a lot !!!:D

Keep on Angling !!!
Regards
raka :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:38 am 
Fishaholic

Good one man! Congrates. Now Whats next on ur menu?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:49 am 
Fishaholic

Good going mate nice report & some very nice tilapias......keep the reports coming

all the best
Manish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:04 pm 
Fishaholic

Congrats Rakesh.. :))

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:20 pm 
Fishaholic

Well done mate...

Saiki

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:10 pm 
Fishaholic

Congrats buddy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:09 pm 
Fishaholic

Congratulations Raka! nice sized Tilapia there! Wish you get many more fish! hopefully some different species too!

Regards!

Omesh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:39 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi ralf,
Thanks man... nothing next on my menu I think... getting bored of eating freshwater fish... except for tilapia, eels, catfish etc... almost every other fish will be a Catch and release...Its time I started that. If next is a murrel, I will french kiss it, Dance with it, go on a date with it, and then release it back... :D :wink:

Hi manish,
Thanks man... next time more pictures and less report... :D

Hi Santosh,
Thanks brother ! :D

Hi Saiki,
Thanks man :)

Hi apoo,
Thanks

Hello Omesh !
Thanks brother ! Next time a kalbouse ! I think I am getting a hang of it ! :D

Regards
raagesh ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:43 pm 
Fishaholic

Yeah so Next time we wait for Monster Murrel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:33 am 
Fishaholic

Ok monster murrel it is... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:48 am 
Fishaholic

nice man.. glad u had fun! hi omesh.. how are you doing now.. read earlier .. that you had a bit of an accident.. all ok.. getting better... i hope nothing serious?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:29 pm 

Congratulations Rakesh... [smilie=superkewl.gif]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:30 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:31 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks atul... :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:54 pm 
Fishaholic

Congrats Rakesh nice Fish :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:12 am 
Fishaholic

Thanks sayed bhai ! :-D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:13 pm 
Enlightened

Hi Rakesh

congrates dear for your first big catch.....I have seen the moment of joy which was there in your eyes when u have playing with this fish...

Many more to come dear ....sorry for late reply busy with some office work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:02 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks dada !
No problems...just dont be busy this weekend... :-D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:22 pm 
Fishaholic

had been busy with interviews and missed one sunday with dada... big mistake...he was enjoying the feeding frenzy of like that in monsoon and caught a lot of them...

So planned to go on the auspicious day of "goody padwaa" to fish...
Prayed at the mazaar, went to the spot, water level had gone down... couldnt groundbait... so tried on the usual, tilapia termination... couldn't land a monster but had a few medium ones and they really made my reel scream...oh the melodious sound of my reel... it was the moment...next time I am gonna need a cameraman to shoot a video... its very difficult to shoot the video with reel in one hand... :evil:

here are the pics

medium size

please ID the fish...is it what I think it is ?

please ID the fish... this little guy was false hooked...

total tilapia caught were around 4-5 kgs, including a 1.5 kg one by nirupam da...that one gave a nice fight on dada's reel...
Saw a beautiful murrel couple hanging out in the shade together...it was so romantic, it filled my eyes with tears...:cry: they were on a date I think, I took their order and served them small tilapias for lunch :lol:

and yet again, in a war between man Vs food... Oh I am sorry man Vs tilapia, Man won... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:59 pm 
Fishaholic

nice read Rakesh! nice pics, good1.

The second fish damn! is it>???!!!!!!!!!!!! sure looks a lot like a!!!!!!!!! woa!!!!!!! crazy!!!!!!!!!!! is it??????????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:25 pm 
Enlightened

Hi Raka
nice going.....and congarts..

i think the ID for the fishes you caught are on this link

http://www.indianangler.com/viewtopic.php?t=3750

Tightlines
mchishi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:31 pm 
Fishaholic

hey congrats :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:35 am 
Fishaholic

looks close.. to a juvi tor khudree.. did it have two small feelers on its mouth.... was counting the rays in the dorsal fin....its the same.. but the feelers are the defining feature.. also when it took the bait.. was it one single hard hit and then a quick run.. if so .. it is what you think it is..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:45 am 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:56 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:01 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:07 pm 
Fishaholic

Tilapia vengeance :D :D :D
Congrats Raka.
They make good eating.

Ravi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:07 pm 
Fishaholic

hi Omesh !
Thanks man... hehehe that fish might be the one... perhaps its a khawli, or its that... You'll have to ask dada as he caught it, and might have closer look at it when he ate it... lol

Hi mchishi
Thanks... No I don't think those are the droids I am looking for...I am sorry, fishes...:D

Hi whitesnapper,

Hi daryl,
I don't know man... Didn't have a closer look... Dada might know, he was the one who caught it...:)

Hi apoo,
Might be that... Yes the small one does look like bhangon/baatta...

Hi Santosh,
thanks ! :D
Ya it might be a khavli, next time I will take a nice close up pic of it, so its much easier to identify...

Hi arish,
I don't know man ! Bas allah ki duaa hain arish bhai...thanks...
"The war is far from over my friend... They will come back with reinforcements next time... :lol: :lol: :lol:"

Ya I hope they do become parents, We need more allies ! and recruits !

This is going to be a very long long war...

Hi Ravi,
hehehe...Yes they do... its like eating roti and sabzi, but the only difference is, it fights back... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:49 pm 
Fishaholic

the second one definitely resembles the water tiger, nice fish anyway its better to see something other than Tilapia thrive, this is calling all anglers and angling enthusiasts to pune rivers where the tilapia are in plenty and even over fishing might not stop them. plus with the number of bridges etc. being made the water bodies are getting even more..... to top it all we see this guy taking out a big mulley in a net. when we don't even get a bite..... I swear to god I will release every other species I find in pune no matter how big or small as the situation is out of control already ad these netters they don't get it.......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:05 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:18 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:07 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:05 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:42 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:49 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:00 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:34 pm 
Fishaholic

Guys, we do not have golden mahseer in Maharashtra.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:38 pm 
Fishaholic

yaa... who knows ? one or two might have lost their way home and ended down here... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:41 pm 
Fishaholic

Yes, via fax or email.. :twisted: :twisted: :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:15 pm 
Fishaholic

well Jim Corbett said the same thing you said rephrased, Its The Fish of his dreams too, well I too do fancy catching one someday and think its one of the most beautiful live creatures, however its not my dream fish, I dream about all species, somehow the salties are more prominent in my dreams, that might change if FONA's project is a success and we have Mahseer coming on the line! in Pune!! I sometimes tell myself I'm dreaming and these FONA guys are just pulling our legs! but what if they do what they have promised and deliver and if the Mahseer can thrive in the pollution and the heavy netting and still spawn and still come on the line it would be a treat to my soul! well if that don't happen I will head down south, as the say hope for the best and prepare for the worst, its funny for us we have to prepare for the worst despite hoping for the best, we need to try and experiment with the feeder so we can get a good carp, at the same time we need to spinners and spoons for any predators that don't exist and if they do either they are at some other place or are too smart to take the lure, then we have to prepare the float fishing rig/ledger rig which eventually brings out results in the form of varied sizes of tilapia and then we take em home, feed em to cats and to maids and the medium size ones we eat with new innovative recipes...... so we have to prepare and prepare and in the end we get the worst which again we have to prepare as we cannot release it to further invade the place! In addition to all of this I also think it would be best to electrocute the area where the mahseer are being released a little prior to their release to "kill the Tilapia" its over appalling I mean you stand on a bridge and if you look down you can see all shapes and sizes of Tilapia and in millions. They might just eat all the mahseer before they can grow big enough to defend or attack back.

Regards,
Omesh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:41 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:26 am 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:53 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi omesh,
Sorry for the late reply bro... Am down with viral...browsing through my phone...
Lets hope the FONA Waalas have kept the tilapia theory in mind before they release the mahseer in the river...

Oho santosh and alibhai
That were two different contexts !...the first para was about the mahseer and the second one, us finding a spot in pune, where our feeder would work good and we catch big fish...still searching for the perfect spot... :-(
Kahin main spot khojte khojte buddha na ho jaau... [smilie=sadlook.gif] [smilie=sadlook.gif] [smilie=sadlook.gif]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:11 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:15 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:10 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:51 pm 
Fishaholic