->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:01 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Grouper
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:53 pm 
Fishaholic

Bobby

This guy found the bottom of my belly

Grouper 21 lbs . on light tackle .. 20 lb braid and Okuma longitude reel

Great Fun

Image[IMG]

same grouper

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/5164 ... atlxg8.jpg[/IMG]

Trolling in the evening at the VJ Durg fort

2 snapper .. hit the lures simultaneously

Post subject: Nice Fish
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:15 pm 
Fishaholic

Nice fish Fred,

You are teasing me with those pictures of BIG FISH :oops: .....
Where is Durg? What plugs work there? I am now thinking of taking a trip to Durg.
How about Surf Fishing in Durg?

LF

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:47 pm 
Fishaholic

Send you a PM. Lures used ... everything depending on seasonal bait fish and whats in the area .. my first day in durg is always a trip in the evening to the jetty where i meet the locals and find out whats moving .. what baitfish in the area .. predators moving ... and the handliners . This gives you an insight inot what lures should be used ,, at what time .. and where .. works 99% of the time . i usually troll 4 rods on the boat .. back rods have short lines and 10 metre deep divers both different colors .. usually large halco sorcerer or storm deep diver or rapalla x rap .. side rods would have 3 metre magnums or storms or any other lure .
Also carry 2 spinning rods with 20 lb braid and rubbre bait .. either prawn or squid which is cast from the boat to the bank and slowly retrieved .. these usually take small barramundi and mangrove jack in the 5 - 10 lb range .. the trolling rods take the big guys .. grouper . cobia. GTs or barrcuda

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:23 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Freddy,

I dont release any Rock Cods, bloody lure guzzlers...

Nice pictures..

Regards,

Bobby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 3:34 pm 
Enlightened

Great pictures!

Regards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 3:48 pm 

Great Pics Fred, Keep on doin it!
Any experience with the smaller halco stuff in freshwater?wobbler , laser pro etc?
Best
Axx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:00 pm 
Fishaholic

no mate im an out an out salty ...but iwant my first freshwater fish to be nothing but a mahseer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:26 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Salty,

Nice pics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:07 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey Apoo ... when r u you in mumbai make the trip a 4 day tour so that we can go to my lodge and make u a salty for life right bob ??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:57 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Apoo,

Like Fred I am an out and out Salty, with saltwater you dont know what (by size) you could hook up next. And they are a lot tougher fish than their fresh-water cousins.

Regards,

Bobby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:38 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Fred / Bobby,

I also did a few fishing (1year, almost 4 days a week) in Goa and I liked it. The only problem was that I damaged 6 reels, broke 2 rods, and the guides in the rods got corroded, lost a lot of lead sinkers and hooks. It was shore fishing only at Aguada Fort and the Nerul Bridge. Since I dont have any saltwater tackles other than the reel I bought from Bops, I am scared that my other tackles will also ger damaged. Slowly and steadily I will be buying saltwater tackles and then I will definitely join you in Bombay. My moms sister stays at Powai and a friend stays at Washi. Since I havent visited Bombay since 2001, time has come to visit those places again.

Cheers,
Apoo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:35 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Apoo,

Remember to wash all your tackle with fresh water after exposing it to saltwater. I generally soak my reels and plugs in a bucket of fresh water for an hour at least.

Bops

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:26 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Apoo,

Yes Bops is right please wash your tackle, and take good care of it. I have been fishing for over 25 years with rod and reel and believe me my first Rod and Reel is still in excellent condition and I can use it today without having to worry one bit. In all these years I have had have and only 2 rods broken, one by my domestic helper and the other when my son stepped on the Rod.

Saltwater fishing is a little more demanding than freshwater fishing on the tackle and on the angler.

Conventional freshwater tackle unless it is of very good quality will not last too long if used in saltwater because of corrosion and other demanding conditions.

The thing about me is though I would love to fish freshwater, I am so hooked up into the saltwater thing that whenever I get some time to fish I just cannot get myself to fish freshwater, maybe one day I will.

Just out of curiosity, how did you break your Rods?

Regards,

Bobby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:09 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Apoo,

As Bops said, wash your gear well after each use. I learned not to buy a surf rod which does not have fuji guides and fuji reel seat.

If you are using conventional stuff, the factory drag will become almost useless after dipping into water. But you can always upgrade it to Carbon Fiber or HT 100 drag washers.

If you are using spinning gear from the surf, a Penn X50ss series reel will take a lot of abuse and also has HT 100 drag washers. A tica dolphin series rod comes with fuji guides and fuji reel seat and are a great deal for the price.

LF

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:36 pm 
Fishaholic

Apoo tips from a salty

1) Wash all gear after every session ... even if youre gone out in the morning and fishing again in the evening ... just wash it
2) Get some WD 40 and give it a short spray b4 going out on the water . This slight spray of WD40 creates a film or coating that saves the rod and reel a bit
3) Use the wifes Nailpolish on the chrome of the guides of the rod .. Guarnteed protection ... from the salt ... not from the wifey

But nothing beats a good ole wash with fresh water and a wipe of a soft cloth dabbed in a little non greasy oil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:45 pm 
Fishaholic

Fred,

Any info on where to get the WD 40 oil. I asked for it previously in Automobile shops and in gas stations, but I could'nt find them.

Thanks,
LF

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:51 pm 
Site Admin

WD40 - Water displacer 40 , is generally found in hardware stores. It is now made in India so it's easy to find.

Bops

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:34 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks Bops. I only rinsed my gear in fresh water after each use but I was thinking about using some oil after rinsing. Will start using WD 40 from now.

Thanks,
LF

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:51 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Guys,

I do not use WD40 very often and have not had problems, but it is good practice as is the advice from Fred.

One note of caution using WD40 is that you need to make sure that you have washed and wiped the equipment clean before you spray as you do not want to trap any salt under the WD40 film.

Using luke warm water to wash is better than water at room temperature and if you wash your line under a running tap make sure that the pressure is very low as you do not want to drive any salt further into your line. Salt will not effect your line, especially if it is Mono, but I could help corode your spool if the reaches the base.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:25 am 
Fishaholic

Quote:
3) Use the wifes Nailpolish on the chrome of the guides of the rod .. Guarnteed protection ... from the salt ... not from the wifey ,Hey Fred you can also touch up plugs that are mutilated on the paint work by Fish,works wonders,women have always been costly on the cosmetics,he he he,hope to join you at durg inthe near future

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:14 am 
Fishaholic

He ehehehehe :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: Wife's nail polish is great for plugs. Encourage them to buy more exciting colours like fire tiger, shad, browh trout, etc. :D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:22 am 
Fishaholic

Cosmetic jackers :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:12 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey OMO ... dont forget the cauvery Trip in April/.May :evil: :evil: :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:49 pm 
Fishaholic

As soon as the boss gets off my toes Fred :lol: