->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:27 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Lure caught beasties!!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:50 pm 

Here are a couple of photos of the fruits of some saltwater lure fishing sessions at night. Goa March 2006

Tasty Barramundi!

Nice catch of mangrove jacks and a barra.

Here is the best Mahseer I caught from the Cauvery - lure caught 26lbs. March 2006

Hope you like them!

Regards,

Sam.

Last edited by samfish on Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Nice Catch
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:22 am 
Fishaholic

Welcome to the group and really nice Catch

What tackle you used for Baramundi and Mahseer?

Inder

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:33 pm 
Fishaholic

Great catches Sam !!!!

I like the mahseer catch. Real beautiful fish. :wink:

Post subject: What tackle??
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:13 pm 

Hey Guys,

Thanks - for me to travel all that way and to catch such beautiful fish was a real buzz - I rate them as my best fishing achievement due to the effort put in to catch them. You dont catch them every day here in the uk on my local stretch of river I can tell you!!!

The tackle used was a 'Shimano STC 5 piece travel spinning rod' capable of chucking lures up to around 50g coupled with a Abu cardinal reel. 30lb braid (Fireline) was used when fishing the estuaries for the jacks and barra and 25lb mono was used on the cauvery for the mahseer. All fish were caught using 'bomber long-a' plugs and rubber shads. 40lb mono leaders were used at all times tied uni to uni knot in preference to wire as I believe the presentation is far superior.

Regards,

Sam.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:09 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Sam,

What is the exact model number of this Shimano STC rod? Not sure if you are refering to the Antares, Beastmaster or Exage.

Also, what did you think of this specific rod - did it fall short in any respect?

Thanks and welcome to the forum.

Rustam

Post subject: Which rod???
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:22 pm 

Hey Rustam,

The rod in question was the Exage STC 330H.

I bought it specifically for travelling as it straps prefectly to my backpack and was easy to carry around Australia and India on my last trip.

It has a nice action and plenty of backbone for taming the larger fish one may hook, at the same time it is also soft enough to enjoy playing smaller fish that are picked up. It has a good length also which was very helpful on the beaches and estuaries for getting the lures out among the fish (especially when coupled with a nice low diameter braid).

The only criticism I have is the weight of the rod. After a few hours spinning it can get a little heavy on the wrist. I think the trick is to match it with a really lightweight reel, mine unfortunately is fairly old and weighs a bit.

Other than that I canot really fault it - for the price you pay you get a great bit of kit. It's not let me down yet and has dealt with fish upto 30lbs with no problems.

Sam.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 3:18 am 
Fishaholic

Thanks, Sam.

Rustam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:23 am 
Fishaholic

Can anyone give a positive ID on the species of Mahseer that Sam is holding ?
It was quite different to the majority of Cauvery Mahseer which we presumed were the Humpbacked variety.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:21 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Sam,

where the goa fish taken from the beach?

Where are good places to fish in goa if i may ask.

Thanks,

best,

Ryan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:27 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Wolf.

Sam and I fished together.
It's not just Goa, Barramundi (White Snapper) and Mangrove Jacks (Red Snapper) can be caught almost anywhere allong the Indian Coast south of Gugerat.
River mouths are the easiest place to cosistently locate fish but they can turn up almost any where along the tidal rivers or beaches.

Best place to fish would be a reasonably large river mouth (a river that retains at least a couple of metres of water at low tide) and put yourself right where it flows into the sea - If there is a little spit of sand, fish that.

Fish at night when the moon is about three quaters full to maximise your chances and you should find that most hits will come an hour or so either side of high water.

Best lures would be shallow running plugs in the 5 - 6 inch range or soft plastic shads.

Good luck.

Post subject: fishy stuff
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:31 pm 

Thanks Ken! I've been away again in the land of no computers! Good stuff.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:17 pm 
Fishaholic

Ken L wrote:
Can anyone give a positive ID on the species of Mahseer that Sam is holding ?
It was quite different to the majority of Cauvery Mahseer which we presumed were the Humpbacked variety.

Hi Ken,
Many of us have been catching this variety of Blue fin masheer in recent times. They are not the same as the Melanic Black Masheer that were being caught earlier, the colour of the scales varies from copper to bronze and is really quite beautiful. I had two this year, and am beginning to wonder where they have suddenly popped up from.
In fact i haven't see too many big gold or silver at the river these days.
There was a beautiful big one that was caught by Dan and posted by MM on this forum that looks like a hen fish, and MM called it black, but from the picture it looks to me to be very much the same type as we are discussing here.