->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:46 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Trip to Himachal
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:50 am 
Fishaholic

Hi everyonee,

I went on a trip to Himachal on 1st of Nov which was called the Honeymoon. I call it a trip only as the first thing I did after reaching Raison (1st halt) was to try a few casts on the Beas. I got 3 local fishes (even the local people call them local only. I could not get the local name from them) The next morning I got three again (same specis) Honeymooners were in their bed till 9am and I left my wife at 5am without telling her where I was going. Later she called me up and came to know that I had gone fishing. She joined me later at the spot where I had gone.

Actually Bops encouraged me to pack atleast one rod and reel in the trip.

I am posting a few pics from that trip. I didnt post it in the image gallery as the pics are not worth to be kept in the image gallery.

The trouts in the bucket were not caught by me. They were from the Govt trout breeding farm near Raison.

Cheers,
Apoo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:17 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Apoo

Very nice! This deserves to be under the image gallery. I've moved it.
Thanks for contributing.

Bops

Post subject: Local fish
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:58 pm 

HI Apoo

The 'local fish' that appear in your pics are known as "Aasla" - that's the local name...

:-)

Pat

Post subject: Asla
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:59 pm 

Hi Apoo,

Nice pictures !

The 'Asla' aka Snow Trout is quite a delicacy in Nepal. Here's a link about the fish that may be of interest to you.

http://www.fao.org/docrep/005/y3994e/y3994e0q.htm

What bait were you using ?

cheers,
Terry

Post subject: Aasla
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:03 am 

Nice link Terry,

When the water level on an Aasla populated river drops, one sees the 'sucking-path' (for want of a better description) that feeding Aasla have left on the smooth surfaces of big rocks and boulders... areas where the Aasla have sucked moss/whatever else is there to eat off a submerged rock or boulder and have left a track of their feeding.

This track shows up very clearly when the rock is exposed to the atmosphere & dries out when the water level drops - a lighter & distinct track the width of the lips on the dark surface of the rock.

I've seen sucking-paths which would have measured 6inches across - now thats a fish with a 6inch lip-span - shift gear and imagine the size of the fish... unless of course the Mahseer does this too?

;-)

Pat

Post subject: suckers
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:35 pm 

Thanks Pat !

Am gonna watch out for those "sucking paths" the next time I'm down by the river. The water level's going down and so's the temperature. Which means the mahseer are at least a 100Kms downstream - which makes it tough to chase on a weekend unless I go AWOL.

Are there any other cold water species (dwelling in deep riverine pools) worth fishing at an alt. above 1000ft.?

Cheers,

Terry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:17 am 
Enlightened

great pictures Apoo.
Love the idea of packing a rod for the honeymoon[good on ya' bops!]
after all, with a setting like that i know i'd be too.
cheers.
Peter, from down under.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:26 am 
Fishaholic

Great Stuff Apoo.. thnaks for the pics...

Post subject: For Terry
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:44 am 

Terry,

Now this is just a 'report-of-a-report' I heard a while back. The Zanskar & the Indus near Leh - at the right spots - have produced 18-lb trout. (Fly? Spinner? - I cant recall clearly but it may just have been fly.)

I know people who catch the smaller - 1 -2 lb - fish in the same region, but the above report tempts me to go AWOL big time and check it out myself.

Here's the dream script (yeah, I know it's a Monday morning but what the heck...): Travel light, fishing tackle & plenty of warm clothing + heavy-duty camping gear. Fly into Leh (the roads close down post-Oct as they get snowed-in - upto 40 feet of snow ;-) ). Aclamatize in Leh for 2 days, hire a mule-team & camp boy and walk up the frozen river to a hole. Establish camp. Cut a hole in the ice & start fishing... you'll never know what's next until you're done & back

;-)

Pat

P.S. Both rivers mentioned flow @ near-abouts 10 - 12 K feet above MSL in the area around Leh - I did read your '1000 ft' & I know 10 & 12K s way higher than that, but a nice fish, with a prayer & a wish, can be taken anywhere I guess.

;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:37 pm 

What bait was used to catch these snow trouts?