->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:02 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: An English Day
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:14 pm 
Fishaholic

I thought you might like to see what a day's fishing in England looks like.
In my part of the country, we get warmer weather than most. This helps carp to feed well much later in the year, but even so, there was a very cold wind blowing today that would not help matters!
Pellets are a great bait for carp on the fishery I visited, often fished just a foot deep for cruising common carp. I set up two identical rods; one for fishing pellets shallow and the other for fishing on, or just off the bottom.
This is what the shallow wagglers look like. Basically a tube of balsa wood, as short as possible. The idea is that the float pops up as soon as it hits the water and bites should come instantly. Notice all the shot is around the base of the float.
This is a normal waggler, with most of the shot around the base to provide casting weight. I had just one number 8 shot two feet from the hook and a swivel weighing the same as a number 8 shot one foot from the hook.
I started by fishing this float four feet deep, that set the bait about a foot off bottom to begin.
A small carp of around a pound was first to fall to a hair-rigged pellet, then I had a few knocks on the float, which told me the fish were higher in the water. Shallowing up brought the first proper carp of about 5lbs.
I tried a couple of casts on the shallow waggler and had one decent carp before reverting to the standard waggler rig.
This is the pellet on the hair rig. A knotless knot is used to tie the hook on, with a silicon band tied into the hair loop. The band is pulled over the pellet, it is a quick and simple method of hair-rigging.
I was feeding three or four pellets every thirty seconds in a bid to encourage the fish to come shallow, but they were reluctant to come into the feed.
Most of the bigger fish were cruising around the area and took the pellet out of instinct if it landed close to them.
I decided to try sweetcorn on the bottom; a cold water killer.
Feeding three grains every five minutes at twenty five metres out, is soon started to get indications. They were mostly from smaller carp like this linear mirror.
But I did manage to winkle out a couple of bigger ones by twitching the bait very slowly across the bottom.
At the end, I had landed ten carp between a pound and a half and eight pounds, and lost four. Two of the four I lost were foul hookers earlier on when fishing deep.
It is a common problem when the fish are not sure if they want to feed deep or shallow. With the float dotted right down to a mere dimple, you need to strike at every dip, but some are caused by a fish brushing the line from higher up in the water. Occasionally you will hook one of them, but the hook pulls out almost straight away.
I also lost two carp by putting too much pressure on when they were uder the rod tip - stupid.
This was the last fish of the session, an ugly old, battle-scarred mirror carp.

Hopefully that will give you an insight into fishing in English conditions.

Don't forget to get involved with the Mad Idea thread on the coarse fishing forum.

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:24 am 
Fishaholic

Thanks, Steve.

Enjoyed reading that.

Rustam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:21 am 
Fishaholic

Great stuff Stevie.. Made some good reading and the pictures were great..

hey Rusty - Welcome back dude !!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:46 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks for reading, I hope it gives a bit of an insight into how we fish in Europe.
When I get the chance, I'll try to do a similar piece about fishing using the styles that would be needed to fish the World Championships.

Post subject: Image gallery
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:50 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Steve,

Great pictures, interesting read and a lovely spot to fish. So the hair rig works!
What about tench ?do you use the same techniques.

Tight Lines,

Jeen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:51 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Jeen
Yes the hair rig works for tench as well. Tench often slow down a lot in winter, unless they are in a water with lots of competition, so they are naturally more hit and miss now temperatures are heading towards 0 degrees.

The only thing that you need to be aware of with a hair rig is that some species need to be fished for with a long or short hair, depending on how they feed.
Chub, for instance, pick food up with their lips and eject without taking it into their throats. They need a very short hair, with the bait tight onto the shank of the hook.
I would expect mahseer would be susceptible to a long hair, as they will gulp a bait right back to their throat teeth. The hook will stay forward in the mouth and give a good hold, even if the fish decides to spit the bait out.

Hope you are still getting hits from those Kingfish...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:48 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey Steve gimme ure dates in BAndra so that I can keep them free and pmaybe even meet you in Goa so that we can do Vijay durg at my lodge together

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:32 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Fred,
I think we will head to Goa around the 12th April to have a week chilling on the beach. Then we will go up to Mumbai around the 18th/19th for three or four days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:12 pm 
Fishaholic

Ok Steve gotcha mate ... if you have a day spare to fish when youre not "chilling " on the beach - wonder how you do that in April in Goa .. suggest you visit the lodge at Durg - just a 100 kms from Goa --- maybe you can do it on the way to Mumbai - Maybe I could join you and maybe we could get into a big trevally or Queenfish or Cobia -- Lemme know

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:54 pm 
Fishaholic

So is the lodge in Maharastra?

Would love to check out a new place...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:06 am 
Fishaholic

Yes Steve the lodge is in Maharshtra ... and beautiful