[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 571: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 627: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1075: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1075: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5336: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5336: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
The Beginner's Story So Far.....!!! - INDIANANGLER ->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:39 am

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:35 pm 
Enlightened

wel...ol' this time i have been thinking of posting pics once i catch something worth comparing to what the pros at IA have caught...! [smilie=damn.gif]
but then i suppose it's more about
'Trying - Discovering - Learning & finally Experiencing...!' [smilie=nod.gif]

so here's a compilation to narrate the story so far...[smilie=coolup.gif]

My first experience of angling came on a family holiday in central africa... ... as an 'OUTDOORS / NATURE' lovin guy [smilie=noeyedear-shrugging.gif] i was looking forward to check out this particular'Outdoor Activity'... and so with a few chx-mayo sandwiches and beers we reached the destination...[smilie=whistle.gif]

Uploaded with

i was told the weather was just right with a slight overshadow...!
to begin with i was given a quick tutorial on the terminal tackle by the pro Mr.AJ who i was visiting ... followed by my first lesson on how to cast.[smilie=upyeah.gif]

Uploaded with

and i waited ...[smilie=chongin.gif]

Uploaded with

Uploaded with
till... i finally felt something ... a slight pull on the line... the excitement was simply overwhelming ... that very moment i knew i was hooked on to fishing for the erst o' moa life...
...it was to be my first fish and i cud'nt wait to land it...[smilie=hiya.gif]

with some help from Mr.AJ we landed the afro tilapia... it was'nt a biggie but the first fish is well.... yer 'FIRST FISH' eh?[smilie=hellyeah.gif]

Uploaded with

Uploaded with

WHAT A FEEELLIG...!!![smilie=happyspin.gif]

n' in the next 2hrs...
this ...[smilie=fixtit.gif]

Uploaded with
(in the pic moa cousin -another IA member :[smilie=huggles.gif] ostrocastro & moa old guy)

was converted into ...THIS.... et voila...![smilie=happydance.gif]

" Fillet of 'Line Caught Afro Tilapia' with roasted root garden vegetables... sauce Vierge et piccallily Sabayon"

Uploaded with

The fish was good enough for 4 portions...[smilie=headfuck.gif]

Uploaded with

Bon Appetite...!!![smilie=meow2.gif]
[smilie=poke.gif]

Uploaded with

The holiday ended with a game drive...[smilie=noeyedeer.gif] leaving me dreaming about catching bigger fishes and the excitement that it would bring...!!!

I cud'nt wait to get bck to britain ... and so bought a basic spin-cast rod n' reel combo (not unlike the ugly-stick) with some terminal tackle at nairobi airport on my way back...

on my first weekend off i bought a day liscence & went to the nearest lake known to stock pike, tench, carp and rudd.
With no idea wot i was planning to target ... i took some random baits like large worms... corn and luncheon meat... as advised by a polish steward in my kitchen... [smilie=m-kay.gif]
...angling is as good as a national sport in Poland or so i am told...!

Uploaded with

and i casted off...:doubt:

Uploaded with

and waited ... and waited... but no luck...! well maybe i should'nt blame it on luck... i didnt have a damn clue what i was doing...! [smilie=holyshit.gif] also i did'nt know about this forum back then..![smilie=nolikey.gif]

Uploaded with

This was then followed by another failed attempt in India - at the Kumarakom Lake in kerala...[smilie=shocked.gif]

Uploaded with

Uploaded with

Finally luck shone on me ..... at a lake in Neral near Matheran...
(Maharashtra-India)... this time i'd borrowed Mr.AJ's 10ft Trout rod.[smilie=thatworks.gif]

Uploaded with

(Fish ID please...?) is dat a very young silver carp... or am i just trying to flatter myself up...![smilie=nope.gif]

Uploaded with

Damn tilapia again...!!![smilie=intent.gif]

Uploaded with

Koi carp...? right...eh?[smilie=happyspin.gif]

Uploaded with

After this lucky streak... i tried carping with some basic bread paste and atta dough at the damns in Nashik... i was told by the local fishmongers that the damns there are known to stock decent sized catlas...
but nothing worked... [smilie=eyeroll.gif]
so finally i decided to get some pro - guidance... and was luckliy invited by santosh at the Powai angling club.[smilie=cool_goatee.gif]

Uploaded with

Uploaded with
One of the machaans at the lake...

Uploaded with

santosh taught me all about the feeder rig ... and carping basics with some general Q&A....[smilie=geek.gif]

Uploaded with
thanks to santosh... i finally realised... how and what to look for in the damns around Nashik :idea: ...!!! a real geezer that guy...![smilie=cool.gif]

The Powai Angling Club...!!! still cant believe such a place actually exists in Mumbai... if i was in india for any longer ...i would indeed have applied for a proper membership...!!! an Oasis ...lads... simply brilliant...!!![smilie=superkewl.gif]

Uploaded with

Good times so far... n still hungry to better my game...

i hope these pics help me get some attention or should i say 'invitations'
from the pros at IA to see 'em in action...[smilie=wrygrin.gif]

[Also if anyone's interested in a trip down to nashik - spinning for murrels ... and hopefully mhaseer... pls let me know...[smilie=m-moi.gif] ]

P.S:

AliBhai... Lionheart.... i have another month before i get bck to britain...
untill then i got lotsa time to fish...! if ya guys knw wot i mean ...![smilie=m-moi.gif]

Does that sound a tad too desperate??? HELLLL YESSSS...!!!!![smilie=hellyeah.gif]

CHEERZ N' TIGHT LINES (TO ME TOO...!!!)
Ashay Dhopatkar [smilie=coolup.gif][/i]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:40 pm 
Fishaholic

Nice Read,
Yummy looking fish,
Good pics.

Ravi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:33 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey buddy, anytime please be our guest at Powai. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:23 pm 
Enlightened

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:35 pm 
Fishaholic

Going through the above report, I am sure you are traveling on the right path of angling and I assure you that you too are a pro now, as far as this sport is concerned. Believe me, angling is not about your catches, or there sizes. If I understand it correctly, angling is a statement about once attitude, and I find that attitude in you.

You are most welcome to join me any time in Powai .

Regards,

Ali. :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:37 pm 
Fishaholic

mate excelent report and some very mouth watering pictures of that llovely dish would love to get the reciepe you can not meet and fish with more experienced and true anglers then santo and Ali so you had the right company :D :D keep casting and you will hook a big one soon cheers [smilie=coolup.gif] [smilie=coolup.gif]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:09 am 
Fishaholic

thats some gourmet fish you made there.a chef and an angler?good luck for future trips and gourmet receipes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:31 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:51 pm 

Hey Dhopatkar good to see you on IA nice catches :) The Tilapia looks yum!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:00 pm 
Fishaholic

Nice post. And the cooked Tilapia looks excellent. Very nice presentation.

Post subject: Good narration
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:38 am 
Enlightened

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:20 pm 
Enlightened

@AliBhai:

Thanks a lot alibhai.....
those are really kind words coming from you....
....that's highly encouraging...

@ Santosh:

Cheers santosh...!!!

@Rajat da:

thank u rajatda... the recipe was impromptu...would luv to work on one of yer skates (rays) from konkan... " skate wing munier" :wink:

.....i wish my angling skills could match the culinary ones though..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:32 pm 
Enlightened

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:39 pm 
Enlightened

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:47 am 
Enlightened

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:51 pm 
Fishaholic