->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:21 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: A Farm, Cats and a Cock.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:00 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Guys,

Had this Saturday off as the Golf course work was held up due to rains. We had an impromptu outing at a friend's farm with the other guys working on the course.

Had a good day, fishing in a big well in the farm, drinking toddy from the coconut trees, cooking a good fighter cock and the catfish caught from the well to go with the beer later in the evening.

Some images for you all.

Good sized well in the farm. I hand lined as my friend wanted my rod.

This small cat took a size 7 hook with earthworm as soon as the hook hit the water!

This one took the hook after some waiting. It went nuts after I set the hook. The handline was a 30lb mono. So no problems.

The third one took the chicken gut with in 10 mins of the earlier one. Slightly bigger than the second one. Hauled it out.

Chucked the small one back into the well. Kept these two for dinner.

Toddy coming down the coconut tree.

This pic is for the album. The fish should have been about 6 kgs in total.

Prepared the desi chicken desi style. De-feathered it, roasted it over fire and applied turmeric on it after washing it. The roasting over fire gives a good smoked taste to the chicken once cooked!

Chicken being butchered.

It was the fishes turn later. Hard work, cutting two of them with just the chopper. Wanted to fillet them. No knife for that. The chicken cooking in the background over a open makeshift wood stove.

It was a great day, just happened. The beer went very well with the fried fish. About 4 crates in all!

Adios Hombres!! Till the next catch!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:47 pm 
Fishaholic

Great day indeed. Good company, some fishes (Even the bloody Mangur) and good food, what more one can ask for.

Regards,

Ali. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:42 pm 
Fishaholic

Congratulation, nice catches :D
It looks too dangerous standing on the narrow corner of the well :shock:

Regard
Arish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:56 am 
Fishaholic

Ali Bhai, Thank you.
I understand your feelings towards Magoors. :D . I am kind of half Bengoli having worked in a Bong company for nearly a decade! The bongs consider this fish a delicacy. I too am no different. I ensure that I eat only the Cats caught from fresh natural waters. This fish in Rajat Da's hands will turn into some thing heavenly. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

This farm is just a couple of kms from my house. More Magoors for the pot in the near future. There's a 20 acre lake too in front of the farm. Planning to check it out today for murrels. :twisted: :D

Arish Bhai, Thank you.
The shelf of the well is in stone and about 5' wide. Not too dangerous. :D . There are a couple of Cats in there about 6-8 kgs. A little risk is worth catching them. :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:36 am 
Fishaholic

U definetely had a great time. Wish all of us on this forum also get time outs like this :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:16 am 
Fishaholic

Congrats Shailendra, :shock: I see that you had a blast with all the freshest toddy, magoors ,4crates of beers and also a fighter Cock !!!

:wink: Now you will be more COCKY then ever :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:54 pm 
Fishaholic

Sailendra wrote:
Ali Bhai, Thank you.
I understand your feelings towards Magoors. :D . I am kind of half Bengoli having worked in a Bong company for nearly a decade! The bongs consider this fish a delicacy. I too am no different. I ensure that I eat only the Cats caught from fresh natural waters. This fish in Rajat Da's hands will turn into some thing heavenly. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I am sorry but the great mangur macch is different, really a delicacy through out India. A bong will kill to eat that fish. I do not have any issue with our Indian Mangur. The fish I hate is the African mangur because of its impact on our local eco-system and the damn fish do not even put up a fight when hooked. :evil:

Happy fishing.

Regards.

Ali.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:18 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks MM. Noida is a good place too. Striking distance from many Golden Mahseer spots. Rishikesh, Corbett, Kullu, Bhakra.. List is long. And I am not talking about the trout spots !! I wish I was working near Delhi !!!

Sher Dil, Thanks very much. I do not think I can be Cockier than the LION. The Cock I ate was- at the end of the day- a chicken. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tight lines, Amigos.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:43 pm 
Fishaholic

Ali Bhai, I agree with you totally. Nothing to beat the Indian Magoor. You are very right too in hating the African Magoor for destroying the endemic fish. But, they too taste good. The ones I caught were from a drinking water well living on a natural diet. No feeding.Not tastier than the Indian ones though. There's one more catfish called Singhi. Small and delicious.

I think I should tell you this story- I was in Karwar for about an year working in Project Seabird. One day at the start of rains, I saw my neighbour's kids kicking around a couple of Indian Magoors. On asking they said that they had caught them from a rain water nallah coming down the hill. They told us that there were many of them in a pond higher up connected to the nallah. What a sight the pond was - about half an acre in size and full of magoor which had travelled upstream to lay their eggs. I quickly picked up line and hooks dug up some earth worms and pulled out 4 the first day. In about 2 months I handlined and cleared the pond of all the magoor. Fish curry and roe pakodas. Every Sunday.

Tight lines to you, Ali Bhai.

Regards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:12 am 
Fishaholic

sailendra ... you seem to be a full bong not half !
by the way singhi is something which i heard in my childhood and it was also a catfish... dont have any idea how was it different from the mangur/magoor. let some information flow on that singhi ... must be another type of mangur !
regards
samit mukherjee

p.s. did you visit that pond uphill again to see if any more had managed to climb up ? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:47 pm 
Fishaholic

Sailendra..Congrats on the great catches my friend. Toddy, beer, chicken and fish...All make an excellent combination whichever way you look at it. hahaha :)