->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:03 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Fishing the Nilgiri's
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:47 am 

I fished the lakes around Ooty a long while ago. These are not scanned but are pictures taken with a digital camera of the actual prints so they may not be upto .......

The temple at the Upper Bhavani guest house gate. Upper Bhavani has the pure Rainbow Trout strain,there are no other fish in the lake, not even minnows! At the time I fished it extensively the fish were in the 450 to 600 grms. weight. Many years later I found that the fish had grown to aprox. 1 kg.

This is a Rainbow trout from Upper Bhavani but taken from the weir dam below. The weir dam had larger fish but they were few and hard to catch.

Trout caught at Avalanche. Note that there is one rainbow, all other seem to be a hybrid (locally called shasra trout) but maybe just a grown up brown trout. This lake has it all...... rainbow, browns, carps and minnows. The fish here were much larger than found elsewhere. The Govt. Trout Hatchery is also located here.

My son with the biggest of the lot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:18 am 

Nice fish Sanjay, the fish are getting bigger I hear, infact had one for dinner a month ago.

how long agao was these caught & what time of the year? Lovely place - Upper Bhavani, avalanche, etc.. We(family) used to frequent them during my school days.

Cheers,
Alexis

Post subject: Fishing the Nilgiri's
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:46 am 

Hi Alexis,
Lucky you, got to eat one at least. I can only wish, to be back fishing in the Nilgiris.
The pics. were taken aprox 14 yrs. back, we spent a year and half in Ooty and I fished the Lakes regularly. The Avalance photos are about Sept/oct. The Upper Bhavani is summer time.
Was planning a trip this summer but put it off, as friends reported very bad road conditions.
Where did you get your trout last month?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:27 pm 

That was a long time back.... I was told the best time for Trout was from Feb onwards until the monsoon begins.. I've never caught Trout, was staying with a family friend in Mettupalayam who fishes the lakes and rivers around the Niligiris regularly - it was his catch, caught during the season and stored in his freezer. The roads are terrible in and around Ooty, but surprisingly very good from Ooty to Mettupalyam via Kotagiri.

Post subject: Nilgiri Lakes
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:29 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Sanjay,

The short cut to Ooty is a much better road. Folks from Bangalore who start early can get to Red Hills by lunch. The home stay of the Vijay Kumar's is reccommended.

I spent two days in the area in Sept.2006. Saw some locals fishing for carp at Avalanche.

Upper Bhawani is the place for trout as per local info.

Outrigorsandeep

Post subject: Re: Nilgiri Lakes
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:44 am 

outrigorsandeep wrote:

I spent two days in the area in Sept.2006. Saw some locals fishing for carp at Avalanche.

Upper Bhawani is the place for trout as per local info.

Outrigorsandeep

There are a lot more places for trout, do contact me if you need to know. I don't know how many are open for fishing at the moment. Some may have been included in the sanctuary, they were creating. BTW Avalanche/Emerald has some monster carp, you can see them from the top of the Emerald dam sunning themself's!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:14 pm 

Map of the fishing waters in the Niligiris.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:08 pm 

Alexis,
The info. is not entirely correct!
Parsons Valley, Avalche and Emerald are mixed waters!
Western Catchment were all off limits to fishermen.
This was the situation when I lived there and it was getting worse from a fishing point of view, more and more areas were being taken off the fishing permit, on later visits.
They dont mention places like Devarbetta and Lakadi both top fishing spots for trout !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:28 pm 

I do agree with you that some of the places on the map don't produce anything, however, it's what is given at the aquarium where we buy the licences. We went to Kundha at the end of September and found the water florescent green, and also Pykara just below the dam - crystal clear water and not even a tidler in sight. In which direction is Devarbetta and Lakadi located?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:14 pm 

If you carry on from Avalanche, much further, after a small ghat, the road on the right leads you to Lakadi. There is/was a tin shed there at the end of the road, good for camping.
Devarbetta - you dont turn off for Lakadi, just go straight till you hit a small bridge (10 ft. max) and you are at the top waters!!! If you keep going you will end up at Upper Bhavani!
Planning a trip?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:50 pm 

Not planning a trip anytime now.. My younger brother now studies in Ooty - very keen angler.. so most of my trips will be planned when he's got his holidays.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:24 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi,
Just to bring you up to date; as of now all the trout fishing areas and most other fishing areas and lakes fall within the lands of the forest department and the current DFO is not allowing anyone to enter to fish-period. Talks are on to allow trout fishing at Avalanchi river and lake only.
Regards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:33 pm 
Fishaholic

good going sanjay... nice trout

its unfortunate you could not join us on sunday!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:55 pm 

IG,

Trout in the Nilgris,would have loved too, :wink: that lucky fella is Sanjay55 from Pune.

I had to leave for Blore at short notice hence couldnt make it on Sun,
will definitely join the PHG the next time.

Sanjay