->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:21 am

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:48 pm 
Fishaholic

After two months Finally I got a chance to go to my favourite place :D and this time I tried a new spot with my trusted friend and decided to do bait fishing as it had been almost six months that I had not done any bait fishing after the rod breaking incident in may and was itching to hook some with baits too and no sooner I casted my bait I got a tug & I too replied in a similar fashion ---> tug for a tug = A PERFECT HOOKUP :twisted: and the singing of the reel started , it was moving every where at its own free will and easily pulling my 6kg drag and I saw that my loockhy rod :wink: was bending like an umbrella handle and it reminded me of my rod breaking exp in may , it was in no mood to give up easily and me neither :twisted: :P , it took several breaks amidst the run { resting under the rocks } and me too held on patiently often changing my grip, all of us were damm sure that it is some big grouper and after 20 gruelling minutes we all were proven wrong it was a big LEAPORD STING RAY
@ Dezz Luckily I had no backaches only sore fingers for a few hours , as stings are not in my menu list it was gifted to my local handliner friend ( Naresh kesarkar ) who when free always gives me company to the remotest fishing locations without a fuss :-)
Displayed here are a only four of the 22 catches in two days 7th and 8th oct

Last edited by lionheart on Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:06 pm 
Fishaholic

great fish buddy...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:45 pm 

The 14 ft magic wand is back to its magic tricks :) . awesome ray lion

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:51 pm 
Fishaholic

That ray has killer looks :)
Luck you buddy. We drove 160 kms for fishing and caught nothing :)
Lovely bream and that MJ. Guess what I tried to search for any MJ locations in UAE and guess what the result in google was??? Michael Jackson in UAE... LOL
The 2 little fish look like Dorry snappers but not too sure as they are yellowish or orangish in color.

You must have had fun fighting the ray. I am sure if you intended to release that ray it would have been difficult in those areas as it looks pretty difficult place to pull the fish on the rocks. Moreover, you cannot even gaff it if you intend to release. :(

That bream was on a bait?? What did you catch with the yozuri red head which appears in the 2nd pic??

Cheers Mate - DeZZ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:09 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks Chris & Freddie :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:32 pm 
Fishaholic

teritex wrote:
That ray has killer looks :)
Luck you buddy. We drove 160 kms for fishing and caught nothing :)
Lovely bream and that MJ.
The 2 little fish look like Dorry snappers but not too sure as they are yellowish or orangish in color.

You must have had fun fighting the ray. I am sure if you intended to release that ray it would have been difficult in those areas as it looks pretty difficult place to pull the fish on the rocks. Moreover, you cannot even gaff it if you intend to release. :(

That bream was on a bait?? What did you catch with the yozuri red head which appears in the 2nd pic??

Cheers Mate - DeZZ

That ray not only had killer looks but also had two 5 inch long poisonous barbs { remember the Aussie guy Steve Irwin of Animal Planet ?? he was killed by a big ray that barbed him straight in the heart } so none of my co Anglers wanted a picture with the ray wipping its two metre tail :lol: :lol: ha ha ha you see my friend not everyone is Lionhearted :wink:
I enjoyed every bit of the fight, each fish caught is a new experience in itself , all the fish were caught on baits and the red head was on stand by duty :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: just in case if any Rawas or Barra dares to leap in front of Me , I will lasso him :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:43 pm 
Fishaholic

congrates lion....
its a fantastic catch mate....

just one question for the gurus
my brother caught a sting ray (leapord ray most probably) and he faught for 10mins and finally the fish surfaced near the rocks
fish was under total control but
as it was high tide and where we were standing there was some good amount of water....
looking at the fish we got a bit scared of the sting and as we are inexperienced in handling sting ray we couldnt do much
we though of taking the fish to the beach side which is just 30-40 mts away from where we were standing and doing so
the fish took cover of the rocks and i tried to pull line with my hand and got cut from the rocks..........
i need advice on how to handle sting rays (when you intend to relese the fish) and other dangerous fish as in toad fish and like... baby shark... baracudda....
thanks in advance

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:46 pm 
Fishaholic

Superb catch there Sayed.

I always wanted to catch a Stingray and have tried some spots without luck.

Have heard about its tough fighting nature, want to experience the same.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:36 pm 

hozefaishaqali wrote:
i need advice on how to handle sting rays (when you intend to relese the fish)

Hi Hozefa,

I've caught quite a few sting rays. Once landed you need to be wary of the poisonous barbs at the tail. I find it most convenient to hold them just behind the eyes (that bony part that offers a good grip) and then unhook them (restrict the movement of the fish if you can). In case you plan on taking it home then I suggest you slice the barbs off with a fishing knife before you handle the fish altogether.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Danny

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:22 pm 

Nice catch lion. What dead bait did you use?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:27 pm 
Fishaholic

Nice fish Lion, like the Bream...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:44 pm 
Fishaholic

Great Catch Sayed, Congrats...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:25 pm 
Fishaholic

@ Hozefa, Raj, Danny, Bobby & Dilip Thank you all

@ Danny had a vareity of baits with me prawns, fingerlings of croakers,sards and what we call in local language naalbi and bhilgi can't remember which one but it was a small fish and not prawns for sure

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:55 pm 
Fishaholic

congrats sayed bhai. beautiful leapord ray.

Post subject: re
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:08 pm 
Fishaholic

Congrats Lion Hope u enjoyed your trip.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:05 am 
Fishaholic

Nice Ray!!!..great catch,

all the best, scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:26 am 
Fishaholic

Brilliant ray!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:11 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Sayed,
Congrats !! Good Ray.
What bait did you use?
Syd.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:57 pm 
Fishaholic

@ Dr Aamir, Mario, Scott, M'ken & Mr Syd thanks guys

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:50 am 
Fishaholic

Amazing sting caught. Thanks for sharing the pics and happy fishing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:44 am 
Fishaholic

Nice stuff Lion !

Regards,
Keyur

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:05 pm 
Fishaholic

danny1984 wrote:
hozefaishaqali wrote:
i need advice on how to handle sting rays (when you intend to relese the fish)

Hi Hozefa,

I've caught quite a few sting rays. Once landed you need to be wary of the poisonous barbs at the tail. I find it most convenient to hold them just behind the eyes (that bony part that offers a good grip) and then unhook them (restrict the movement of the fish if you can). In case you plan on taking it home then I suggest you slice the barbs off with a fishing knife before you handle the fish altogether.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Danny

thanks for the advice but still its not clear to me how to handle the fish... As in when you want to catch a crab, the best way is to hold it from behind and its pincers cant reach you... same way waht to do with a sting ray when its lashing its 2mts long tail with barbs in all directions.... Somewhere i saw a section where it said that easiest way to handle sting ray is to take the fish on sand and flip it and it becomes much easier to handle the fish....
but i dont want to take chances
so please can some one on the forum explain how to handle sting rays when you want to relese it back
thanks in advance

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:27 pm 
Fishaholic

hozefaishaqali wrote:
thanks for the advice but still its not clear to me how to handle the fish... As in when you want to catch a crab, the best way is to hold it from behind and its pincers cant reach you... same way waht to do with a sting ray when its lashing its 2mts long tail with barbs in all directions.... Somewhere i saw a section where it said that easiest way to handle sting ray is to take the fish on sand and flip it and it becomes much easier to handle the fish....
but i dont want to take chances
so please can some one on the forum explain how to handle sting rays when you want to relese it back
thanks in advance

Try tying a cloth to the barbs or use a wet cloth on it tail so that it does not flip it tail when you try to unhook it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:45 pm 
Fishaholic

hozefaishaqali wrote:
congrates lion....
its a fantastic catch mate....

just one question for the gurus
my brother caught a sting ray (leapord ray most probably) and he faught for 10mins and finally the fish surfaced near the rocks
fish was under total control but
1 } as it was high tide and where we were standing there was some good amount of water....looking at the fish we got a bit scared of the sting and as we are inexperienced in handling sting ray we couldnt do much we though of taking the fish to the beach side which is just 30-40 mts away from where we were standing and doing so
the fish took cover of the rocks and i tried to pull line with my hand and got cut from the rocks..........
2 }i need advice on how to handle sting rays (when you intend to relese the fish) and other dangerous fish as in toad fish and like... baby shark... baracudda....
thanks in advance

For the purpose of sharing knowledge this is for all new anglers and not just Hoze
1 } Never never underestimate the strength of a fish while its still in water and you are to handle it with extreme caution but once they are out of water half of strengh is gone, same is the case with us humans when we step in knee deep water our strength is reduced and the fish has leverage as we are in its territory { in simple terms an 75kg man can hold a 10kg sand bag for say two hours on land but he can't stay afloat with the same bag in water for more than a few minutes

2 } If you intend to release fish like rays first make sure that you don't gaff it you can try pulling the fish out of the water by holding the leader and use the waves to your advantage, haul in the fish with the incomming wave ,now flip the ray over let someone hold the tip of the tail or place a foot so that it does'nt move around if the hook is close remove it with a plier and if the fish has swalloed deep it still can be removed all you need is a long { minus } screw driver with a cut of V shape at the end, place the line in the V and slide the screwdriver in to the mouth deep till you feel the metallic shank and at the bend of the hook twist the screwdriver to the right two times and to the left two times this will loosen the hook a little, now press the screw driver inside a little and the hook is dislodged carefully pull the line with the hook still in the V of the screw driver, you can de hook baby sharks or baracudas also in a similar fashion
And Hoze never try to touch a ray while its still in the water , the barbs are located here

and the rest of the tail is just one good whip
hope this helps you and others too :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:04 pm 
Fishaholic

Good points Lion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:57 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks alot lion
thats good amount of information
surfing net i found this information from some fishing site

it says:
"Here is what I do to avoid stingray issues:
* land the stingray on the dock, beach, whatever
* give it time to settle down a bit
* flip it on it's back (the mouth is on the bottom side, so the hook is always there)
* lay something wide and inanimate on the ray to keep it very still, I usually use a wide flat oar
* use pliers to very cautiously remove the hook from it's mouth
* use the oar to flip the little bastard back into the water"

Happy fishing
and tight lines

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:34 pm 
Fishaholic

Sayed Bhai Thats a informative piece of stuff there for all. [smilie=coolup.gif]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:24 pm 
Fishaholic

good sting ray,,snapper, good fishing,,,, :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:58 pm 
Fishaholic

Nice Ray Sayed! The rays always surprise you with their strength in the water, and later when they are out of the water, you get surprised by the weight of the fish in comparison to its size due to the weight of the cartilage in its body!

Cheers,

Jeen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:15 pm 
Fishaholic

Lion,

A very impressive catch indeed. Congratulations.

The tricky part in the subject of C&R of this fish is release. It becomes very difficult to push the fish in the deep water where it can swim out. While releasing, the incoming waves push the fish back and stranded.

The best way out is to put the fish in water and hold it with the butt of your rod till the wave is going out. Hold it once again, using the same procedure, as the next wave comes in. Within three to four attempt, the fish will be in enough water to swim out.

Regards,

Ali.

:P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:45 pm 
Fishaholic

angler_ali wrote:
Lion,

A very impressive catch indeed. Congratulations.

The tricky part in the subject of C&R of this fish is release. It becomes very difficult to push the fish in the deep water where it can swim out. While releasing, the incoming waves push the fish back and stranded.

The best way out is to put the fish in water and hold it with the butt of your rod till the wave is going out. Hold it once again, using the same procedure, as the next wave comes in. Within three to four attempt, the fish will be in enough water to swim out.

Regards,

Ali.

:P

Ali, sting rays are sometimes found inbetween sandbars on the beach, in 2 - 3 inch of water. As long as they have a little water, they will survive.

regards,
Keyur

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:58 pm 
Fishaholic

Thank you Jeen and Alibhai , words from senior Anglers like you two are definitely Morale boosters

@ jeen you are very right, they do give hell of a fight it is really tough getting them closer, the wide body works to their advantage and gives them more leverage in water

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:17 pm 
Fishaholic

excellent catches there Lion the leopard really looks tamed at the end of it :lol: [smilie=coolup.gif]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:21 pm 
Fishaholic

Nice looking Ray!

Regards,
Mighty Marlin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:15 pm 
Fishaholic

rajatmukherje wrote:
excellent catches there Lion, the leopard really looks tamed at the end of it :lol: [smilie=coolup.gif]

Thank you Rajat Da & Akshay :-)

@ DADA taming the leapord was quite a tiring task and :wink: I am very much glad that in may its Big Mama broke my rod and saved me the torment :lol: :lol: anyway I had my revenge now [smilie=hellyeah.gif] 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:25 pm 
Fishaholic

hey
if we break the sting of sting ray... does it grows back?
i could not find any information on the net...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:25 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey Hoze here is some info on the stings of Rays

The venom apparatus or "sting" of a stingray is a spine or modified dermal denticle (the scales covering sharks and stingrays) with two ventral grooves filled with venom-producing tissue.  The venom apparatus is surrounded by a cell-rich covering or sheath that also may produce lesser amounts of venom. The venom itself is a largely protein-based toxin that causes great pain in mammals and may also alter heart rate and respiration.  However, since it is proteinaceous, it can be inactivated by exposure to high temperatures.  Because of this, immersion of the wound in hot water or application of a heat compress are recommended as an immediate treatment for unfortunate victims of a stingray injury or "envenomation."  Although this may reduce the initial pain of a stingray injury, victims should still obtain medical assistance so that the wound can be properly examined and cleaned to avoid secondary infections or other complications.

As mentioned above, the sting on most pelagic stingrays is situated near the base of the tail.  This may discourage predators from biting the animal near its vital organs.  In contrast, the sting of most bottom-dwelling stingrays is located further away from the body, making it a more effective and dangerous "striking" weapon.  However, it should be pointed out that the sting is purely a defensive weapon only and that the "striking" action is an involuntary response rather than a conscious "attack."

According to Dr. Bob Shipp, Ph.D. professor of the University of Alabama and authority on fishes of the Gulf of Mexico, the barb may be concealed within a sheathlike tail wrapping, depending on its size and species. The barb, or spine, according to Dr. Shipp, can grow back if broken off, and is actually a modified scale, armored with recurved serrations that are as sharp as razors. The stingray has the ability to whip its tail up over its back and strike a victim. During the strike the tail sheath covering instantly moves back to expose the barb, located about one third the way down its tail (bluntnose and Atlantic species). In some instances it can whip its tail around a victim to exert a more powerful blow.According to Dr. Shipp, when a stingray strikes, it either removes its barb entirely, or breaks it off inside of the victim. When this occurs, doctors must probe the wound to make sure all particles have been removed, so the injury will not result in gangrene. In cases where the barb deeply penetrated, the wound must be enlarged to make sure it is properly cleaned.
Aside from the pain and serious laceration caused by the razor-sharp barb, which can sever arteries and possibly an Achilles tendon, a poison is released that can produce a drastic decrease in blood pressure, increased pulse, dizziness and possible shock.?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:49 am 
Fishaholic

Thanks for the information lion
last week again i had hands on experience with another sting ray and then i got all the practical information.....
thanks for the inf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:41 am 
Fishaholic

Very Nice ray lion.. they put one hell of a fight and i am sure this one you will remember for a long time.. congrats.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:09 pm 
Fishaholic

santosh wrote:
Very Nice ray lion.. they put one hell of a fight and i am sure this one you will remember for a long time.. congrats.

Thanks Santosh
Yes definately this leapord ray has earned a position in my memory bank :lol: