->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:04 am

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 7:11 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Guys,

Was just fiddling around to see if I could upload a picture from Photobucket. I hope it works.

A nice fish caught a few years ago on the Cauvery. Caught late evening on ragi after a couple of days of fishing the river. Was fishing with my baitrunner on .... if I remember right it was caught on my ABU 7000. I had got up after sitting by my rod to make some tea when the baitrunner started screaming. Ran back to my rod but all was silent. Stood there swearing at myself. Didn't reel in (luckily) and the baitrunner took off again after a couple of minutes. Threw the lever, waited till I could feel the weight of the fish and struck!!

Went easy on this fish and fished with a moderate drag, as the water was llow and chances of fraying my line were large. Luckily the fish stayed in deep water and fought a clean fight. Doesn't always happen this way but. Every now and again one comes across a sulking fish and I hate these fish, espcially after a long day. They run from rock to rock, on the bottom and are usually impossible to land without a coracle. I've lost a few of these 'sulkers' because I pushed just a little too hard.
One blistering run downstream and then the fish ran upstream. When fish run upstream the game usually favours the man on the bank. 15 mins later it was photo time!!

For those who plan to fish for mahseer after dark, some tips......
Arrive at your fishing spot when its still light.
Make visual references of rocks and structure before it gets dark. Use those references to position your cast. Not your torch.
Avoid using a light often.
Fish a bit of the river where big fish can be landed without a boat.
Fish will often come in pretty easily if there is no light to scare them.
Be prepared for the SECOND RUN. This is when alot of fish are lost. A fish that comes in easily still has alot of fight left in it. Ease off the drag before the torch is switched on, you can put on the breaks after to slow it down. Its dangerous/stupid/virtually impossible to rope fish without a torch.
Carry a 20ft length of soft rope and your camera.

Regards,
Mighty Marlin.

Post subject: Nice Catch
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 7:31 pm 
Fishaholic

Nice Fish and Gr88 write up..

Keep em coming.. :)

Inder

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:22 pm 
Site Admin

Nice post! Just like to add that when fishing at night a headlamp is an absolute necessity. Some great review can be found here.

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/review ... dlamps.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:39 pm 
Fishaholic

Fantastic catch MM,

Somehow have noticed that the big fish normally eat during late evening or night..
Great going !!!

Post subject: nice one
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:02 pm 
Fishaholic

nice one marlin, your eyes are almost as big as the fish's!

ryan