->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:15 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Big Cat
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 9:26 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Anglers,

Caught a big Catfish (Magoor) about 5-6 kgs from a small rainwater pond near my construction site in Rameshwaram, on a handline with atta bait. Big fight. Line was strong but the hook was small. Landed it finally and there was a bigger fight to hold on to it as the hook gave away after landing and we were on a bank with water on both sides.

Brought the fish to the work site. The boys at site freaked out. Every one wanted a picture with the fish.

The rig. Very basic- line wrapped around a bottle. Small hook.

Sheer luck, I would say. :twisted:

Post subject: CONGRATZ
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 11:22 pm 
Enlightened

Hello Sailendra,

First congratulations on the catch. My first decent size fish caught on a proper rod and reel setup was a magur. But with the set up u were using landing a fish of that size is a feat in itself. The setup reminds me of my school days of fishing which i still feel was the best time of my life.

Keep it coming bro. By the way what happened to the fish :roll: . It tastes good (deep fried) if it is in the range of 1-2 kg.

Best regards,
Vijay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 2:12 am 
Fishaholic

Congrats nice picture

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 8:59 am 
Fishaholic

Vijay & Mayursud,

Thanks for the messages.

Vijay-

The fish went into the pot. Did not mention it - did not want to offend any one. Better my pot than any one else's, as the water was going down and some one would have caught it in a month's time for sure. :lol:

Preparation was macher jhol, Bangla style. Came out lip smacking :twisted: . As for the meat- in words of my foreman- "mutton bhi fail hai, iske samne". Hope Rajat Da reads this.

Fishing with a handline is cool. I saw the sea fishermen at Rameshwaram landing about 25+ kgs fish on handlines. That is great stuff. Could not go along with them, as you need a licence/permit from the Coast Guard.

Regards,
Tight Lines.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 10:01 am 
Fishaholic

Congratulations on landing a nice Mangur on hand line.

Very well done and keep it up.

Thanx for sharing this with us.

Regards,

Ali. :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 11:29 am 
Fishaholic

Good sized cat that is.Congrats
Ravi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 2:10 pm 
Fishaholic

Congrats for the nice catch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 6:44 pm 
Fishaholic

Ali, Ravi and Apoo-

Thanks very much.

Tight lines.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 9:09 am 
Fishaholic

Great stuff.

Most of us have fished with a bottle and line. The hits when you finally get a big one are great. I remember having cut and bruised fingers but never any pain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 9:56 pm 

YAK

Whoever brought this fish to India??
And whoever catches a Mangur never ever release it back...ITs also illegal.

Imran

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 3:03 pm 
Fishaholic

Congrats for the fish caught and happy fishing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 7:00 pm 
Fishaholic

Nice catch,
Sailendra congrats

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 6:40 pm 
Fishaholic

Mahseerken, Spoonangler, Lionheart and Imrankhan,

Thanks very much for your messages. Sorry for not replying earlier. Was out on a fishing trip to the Mahakali/Saryu at Pancheshwar. Caught a few small ones- check post.

Mahseerken- Nothing beats handlining and the excitement of fighiting and landing a big one on the handline. The fish too have a better chance compared to a rod and reel, The pain doesnot matter- like you said. I have seen a guy(poacher) in Shivannasamudra whose index finger tip is missing- cut by a big fish on a hand line and his hands are maked deep with hand line cuts.

Imrankhan- This fish is a delicacy for Bengali's. People say that it is from Australia. Plenty of farming takes place for this fish. So most likely this was introduced in india by these farmers. I agree tht this should not be released back but at the same time I would have loved to keep the fish in an aquarium. I felt sorry killing the fish- must have taken about 6-7 years to grow to this size in the wild.

Tight lines.

Thanks again, Guys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 10:29 pm 
Enlightened

nice catch keep up :shock: :shock: :shock: :idea:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 7:37 pm 
Fishaholic

I see now good catch mate and macher Jhole with sorse wow good recipe you can never go wrong with it, but try it with some Garlic and Ginger paste with tomatoes thrown in after frying some onion first with only green chillies as the initial "tadka" fry the masala a bit and then throw in the fish pieces it taste almighty good , a twist of lemon or kokum before taking it off from the cooking could do even better, [smilie=yum.gif] [smilie=yum.gif] cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 8:12 pm 
Fishaholic

Rajat Da,
Will try it out this recipe on the next Magoor I catch. I can imagine the taste just reading it. Slurpy man. Thanks very much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 11:25 am 
Fishaholic

rajatmukherje wrote:
I see now good catch mate and macher Jhole with sorse wow good recipe you can never go wrong with it, but try it with some Garlic and Ginger paste with tomatoes thrown in after frying some onion first with only green chillies as the initial "tadka" fry the masala a bit and then throw in the fish pieces it taste almighty good , a twist of lemon or kokum before taking it off from the cooking could do even better, [smilie=yum.gif] [smilie=yum.gif] cheers

[smilie=yum.gif] [smilie=yum.gif] [smilie=yum.gif] mouth watering recipe you got there Chef DADA . now :twisted: when you and Alibhai are camping around in Konkan I will certainly drop in for that " macher Jhole " :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 4:16 pm 
Fishaholic

lionheart wrote:
rajatmukherje wrote:

[smilie=yum.gif] [smilie=yum.gif] [smilie=yum.gif] mouth watering recipe you got there Chef DADA . now :twisted: when you and Alibhai are camping around in Konkan I will certainly drop in for that " macher Jhole " :lol: :lol:

you are welcome bro any time :D :D looks like the season is over though but you never know

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 7:31 pm 
Enlightened

Hey guys come to Cochin next season we can do some serious Threadfin salmon fishing :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 1:06 pm 
Fishaholic

RajatMukherje wrote
Quote:
you are welcome bro any time looks like the season is over though but you never know

Thank you Dada :-) ofcourse I'll hook that fish,clean & fillet it from there its yours to toss it and turn it in the pot :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 6:18 pm 
Fishaholic

Lionheart,
Would be interesting to know where Rajat Da's heart is! Fresh water fish or sea fish? Years in Bombay could have changed his preferences but I am sure his heart would beat for the fresh water fish!
One fish he would freak out on is- Koi maach. What a fish man!
Rajat Da- What say?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 8:08 pm 
Fishaholic

Sailendra wrote:
Lionheart,
Would be interesting to know where Rajat Da's heart is! Fresh water fish or sea fish? Years in Bombay could have changed his preferences but I am sure his heart would beat for the fresh water fish!
Rajat Da- What say?

you got me there mate Koi Maach is just exotic and you never get it in Mumbai. but i also love bhetki(Bara) it's a real treat, fresh bhetki is worth giving your arm for but off course then I also love MJ and grouper as table fish but yes for a bong it will be always fresh water fish for eating apart from Elish(hilsa) one that is found only in east bengal or near sea in ganges which is the queen of all fishes for me. :D :D

Last edited by rajatmukherje on Mon May 17, 2010 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 8:11 pm 
Fishaholic

I think we need to start a new Culinary section for Rajat…If Yan Can Cook, Rajat Can Hook!

:roll: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 8:19 pm 
Fishaholic

tell me bobby do you eat fish ? or living in Hong kong for such long time you have converted and eat reptiles,worms etc.etc only i mean the authentic Chinese only :twisted: :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 8:25 pm 
Fishaholic

Well Rajat, what can I say Hong Kong is one of the culinary captials of the world, as for seafood, you got to come here to believe what you can get. It's simply awsome!

Sometimes, silence is golden and ignorance is bliss :wink: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 9:37 pm 
Fishaholic

Bobby wrote:
I think we need to start a new Culinary section for Rajat…If Yan Can Cook, Rajat Can Hook!

:roll: :lol: :lol:

Bobby I think you meant this
Quote:
If You Can Hook, Rajat Can Cook

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 9:40 pm 
Fishaholic

Sailendra wrote:
Lionheart,
Rajat Da- What say?

Hi Shailendra what is the english or hindi name for that fish " Koi maach " :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 11:31 pm 
Fishaholic

Lionheart,
I have no idea about the hindi/english names. It is a spiny black fish - a smaller version of the talapia. In fact in bangla the talapia is called - american koi. The fish can live for hours out of water or in thick mud. Will get you the name tomorrow. My bong brother in law should know.
Huge delicacy in bangla land. I too haven't eaten it for years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 12:08 am 
Fishaholic

Rajat Da,
Hilish (Shad) is the Queen of fishes. No doubt here. People would literally kill for the fish. Yes especially for - Padmer Hilish. My room mate Poddar initiated me to this exotica. Apart from the scales and the pith, nothing was wasted.
Guys- The Ganga splits onto many distributaries as it joins the sea. Principal names are Ganga, Hoogly and Padma. The Hilish is akin to the salmon- it makes its yearly run from the sea, up the river (nearly a 1000kms) to breed. I am not an expert here but my bangla bondhu's say that the hilish from Padma taste the best!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 12:24 am 
Fishaholic

Lionheart,

The actual name of Koi is Tel Koi. Is called the climbing perch. Only found in eastern India. (info from the net). Pic:

Picture of Hilsa(Shad):

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 1:07 am 
Fishaholic

man your killing me with pics and yes the padda (or padmer) river's Elish is the world known for it's taste its hardly available now as (unfortunately for us bongs in India) i think 90% of it's now get exported for those NRI(bongs) who pay top dollars for it :evil: :evil: any tom one has to go to Andheri market to check any possibilities of Padda Hilish(or elish) sorry bobby could not help :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 1:56 am 
Fishaholic

Nice catch.
"The fish went into the pot. Did not mention it - did not want to offend any one. Better my pot than any one else's, as the water was going down and some one would have caught it in a month's time for sure."
Nobody is going to get on a high horse about anyone taking alien invaders for the pot.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 7:02 am 
Fishaholic

bhapa Elish and Koi macher jhol. Mouthwatering dishes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 10:29 am 
Fishaholic

apoo wrote:
bhapa Elish and Koi macher jhol. Mouthwatering dishes.
[smilie=yum.gif] [smilie=yum.gif] in a hot summer afternoon with some steam rice oh Man after that [smilie=zzz.gif] [smilie=zzz.gif] [smilie=zzz.gif] guys stop it i think we all will be banned :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 11:07 am 
Fishaholic

Thanks, Ken.
Yes, the alien fish donot matter but I did wonder about the size it would have grown to if left alone.

Rajat Da- Steam the hilish wrapped in a banana leaf!! [smilie=yum.gif]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 12:14 pm 
Fishaholic

Sailendra wrote:
Thanks, Ken.

Rajat Da- Steam the hilish wrapped in a banana leaf!! [smilie=yum.gif]

that's it i am off to the market or worse come worse to Kolkata :twisted: :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 1:16 am 
Enlightened

Come to Dhaka! We have the "real" padma"r Ilish.

Great catch, Sailendra!

All the best

Lakhyaman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 1:17 pm 
Fishaholic

Congrats, Sailendra this reminds me of my school days :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 3:43 pm 
Enlightened

Hi Sailander,

From last couple of years we have started seeing quiet a lot of Climbing Perch in Calicut (Kerala). Infact i have caught loads of them during the first week of mansoon. I have heard that the fish was introduced to the water bodies because of its voracious feeding habbits. They actually helps in reducing pests and leaches that causes discomfort to the farmers and crops. Either that or the fish could have come down through other water bodies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 8:13 am 
Fishaholic

Lakhyaman, thanks for the message. Dhaka is where the Padma'r Hilish are! My friends in Kolkata speak so much of this great city. Surely, I will make it! I seen your impressive lake too in your posts. Hope to make a visit there too, time permitting.

Sarabee- yes, handlining reminds every one of childhood days. I do it whenever I get the chance.

Rajat Da, my monsoon trip will be to Kolkata. All your recipe's have stirred me [smilie=shake.gif] . As such trip to Dokhineshwar has been on the radar for sometime!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 11:43 am 
Fishaholic

Prabin, thanks for your message.

Very interesting to read that the climbing perch are being found in plenty in Calicut.

Sounds very good that they destroy the crop pests and end up as dinner too(Do the locals eat this fish?). Generally these kinds of fish can be very dangerous to the local ecology unless they are consumed with relish like in Bengal. Friends there complain that the sizes as well as the numbers are going down.

There has been an influx of Bangla labour into Kerala for work. The fish must have been introduced by them or by the farmers, like you said. Geographically it would be tough for it to travel thru the mainland from WB to Kerala via water bodies!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 1:51 pm 
Fishaholic

Lakhyaman that's really tempting offer specially as sailendra says I have also seen all your post and would really like to experience how once feel to own a lake (man that's a dream) and fish in it. You never know you might get couple of surprise visitors. :D :D

Sailendra although I am not very sure how the monsoon fishing in Kolkata is but i am sure you must have enquired about it already, you seem to know quite a bit about bong land any way. I wish you a great rip mate don't forget to indulge in Hilish once you are there and off course the splendid KOi maach :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 2:36 pm 
Enlightened

Though the climbing perch has been recently discovered, people are taking them to the pot. They also prefer to peel the skin as they have a bit thick skin.

You had mentioned that they cause ecological damage. How exactly are they a threat? Is it because of their feeding habbits or is any other reason?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 10:30 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Sailendra - Give us Bongs a buzz when you in this part of town.. Will definitely catch up and treat u to some of the best fishing and the best fish-eating ...

Rajatda - stop salivating LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 11:30 pm 
Fishaholic

Rajat Da,

I worked with Dastur's for about 10 years. Most of my friends and collegues are Bangla. I love Kolkata its culture and its people and also share their passion for "maach" and sarson. Long list of likes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 11:48 pm 
Fishaholic

Gavin Da,
Thank you for the invite. Very gracious of you. I will surely give you Dadas a buzz. Will be a pleasure.

Prabin,
The experts will know better but from the little I know, the predatory species which have ben introduced in alien ecologies have created havoc disturbing the fine balance which existed earlier. Their new prey donot have the instinctive defence mechanisms and are some times wiped out- creating a domino effect on the food chain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 12:23 am 
Enlightened

Sailendra and Rajat Da,

You are welcome, welcome and welcome! Sailendra, if you come to Kolkata then it is only a short drive to the Petrapole/Benapole border. I will be happy to receive you on this side (my side) and drive you up to Dhaka (7 hours via the Padma) or fly you out as you wish. All visa help will be provided! You can, of course, always apply for political asylum if you deem the fishing good enough!

By the way, the SW monsoon is about to hit in the next couple of days and the Ilish are presumably in the grip of their hormones and are preparing to take the Padma by storm! This is THE TIME! Come for it!

All the best

Lakhyaman

P.S. Same offer open to all!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 9:15 pm 
Fishaholic

Sailendra wrote:
Lionheart,
I have no idea about the hindi/english names. It is a spiny black fish - a smaller version of the talapia. In fact in bangla the talapia is called - american koi. The fish can live for hours out of water or in thick mud. Will get you the name tomorrow. My bong brother in law should know.
Huge delicacy in bangla land. I too haven't eaten it for years.

Thank you Sailendra for your info, I am just back from a weeks trip and will be again leaving tommorrow for another two weeks , we'll ceartainly share many more fishing info from june till then tight lines and happy fishing :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 9:42 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Sailendra - u say that u work for Dastur ? Do you know one Mr Shivaji Ray.. He is a director at MN Dastur ( i think)

GRC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 11:57 pm 
Fishaholic

Lakhyada,
Thanks for the invite. Yeah, this is the time. The hilish must be at ready, get, set. Once the flood waters hit the ocean it'll be go! Will plan out a trip for sure! Rajat Da- What say?

Lionheart, best luck for your trip. Tight lines!

Gavin Da,
You think right! Shivaji Da is the Director- Finance, MN Dastur and Co. An avid angler. latest catch was a huge shark. Travels round the world on his fishing trips.