[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5336: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5336: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
Big Cat - INDIANANGLER ->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:32 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Forum rules

Post subject: Big Cat
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 9:26 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Anglers,

Caught a big Catfish (Magoor) about 5-6 kgs from a small rainwater pond near my construction site in Rameshwaram, on a handline with atta bait. Big fight. Line was strong but the hook was small. Landed it finally and there was a bigger fight to hold on to it as the hook gave away after landing and we were on a bank with water on both sides.

Brought the fish to the work site. The boys at site freaked out. Every one wanted a picture with the fish.

The rig. Very basic- line wrapped around a bottle. Small hook.

Sheer luck, I would say. :twisted:

Post subject: CONGRATZ
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 11:22 pm 
Enlightened

Hello Sailendra,

First congratulations on the catch. My first decent size fish caught on a proper rod and reel setup was a magur. But with the set up u were using landing a fish of that size is a feat in itself. The setup reminds me of my school days of fishing which i still feel was the best time of my life.

Keep it coming bro. By the way what happened to the fish :roll: . It tastes good (deep fried) if it is in the range of 1-2 kg.

Best regards,
Vijay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 2:12 am 
Fishaholic

Congrats nice picture

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 8:59 am 
Fishaholic

Vijay & Mayursud,

Thanks for the messages.

Vijay-

The fish went into the pot. Did not mention it - did not want to offend any one. Better my pot than any one else's, as the water was going down and some one would have caught it in a month's time for sure. :lol:

Preparation was macher jhol, Bangla style. Came out lip smacking :twisted: . As for the meat- in words of my foreman- "mutton bhi fail hai, iske samne". Hope Rajat Da reads this.

Fishing with a handline is cool. I saw the sea fishermen at Rameshwaram landing about 25+ kgs fish on handlines. That is great stuff. Could not go along with them, as you need a licence/permit from the Coast Guard.

Regards,
Tight Lines.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 10:01 am 
Fishaholic

Congratulations on landing a nice Mangur on hand line.

Very well done and keep it up.

Thanx for sharing this with us.

Regards,

Ali. :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 11:29 am 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 2:10 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 6:44 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 9:09 am 
Fishaholic

Great stuff.

Most of us have fished with a bottle and line. The hits when you finally get a big one are great. I remember having cut and bruised fingers but never any pain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 9:56 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 3:03 pm 
Fishaholic

Congrats for the fish caught and happy fishing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 7:00 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 6:40 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 10:29 pm 
Enlightened

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 7:37 pm 
Fishaholic

I see now good catch mate and macher Jhole with sorse wow good recipe you can never go wrong with it, but try it with some Garlic and Ginger paste with tomatoes thrown in after frying some onion first with only green chillies as the initial "tadka" fry the masala a bit and then throw in the fish pieces it taste almighty good , a twist of lemon or kokum before taking it off from the cooking could do even better, [smilie=yum.gif] [smilie=yum.gif] cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 8:12 pm 
Fishaholic

Rajat Da,
Will try it out this recipe on the next Magoor I catch. I can imagine the taste just reading it. Slurpy man. Thanks very much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 11:25 am 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 4:16 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 7:31 pm 
Enlightened

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 1:06 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 6:18 pm 
Fishaholic

Lionheart,
Would be interesting to know where Rajat Da's heart is! Fresh water fish or sea fish? Years in Bombay could have changed his preferences but I am sure his heart would beat for the fresh water fish!
One fish he would freak out on is- Koi maach. What a fish man!
Rajat Da- What say?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 8:08 pm 
Fishaholic

Last edited by rajatmukherje on Mon May 17, 2010 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 8:11 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 8:19 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 8:25 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 9:37 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 9:40 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 11:31 pm 
Fishaholic

Lionheart,
I have no idea about the hindi/english names. It is a spiny black fish - a smaller version of the talapia. In fact in bangla the talapia is called - american koi. The fish can live for hours out of water or in thick mud. Will get you the name tomorrow. My bong brother in law should know.
Huge delicacy in bangla land. I too haven't eaten it for years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 12:08 am 
Fishaholic

Rajat Da,
Hilish (Shad) is the Queen of fishes. No doubt here. People would literally kill for the fish. Yes especially for - Padmer Hilish. My room mate Poddar initiated me to this exotica. Apart from the scales and the pith, nothing was wasted.
Guys- The Ganga splits onto many distributaries as it joins the sea. Principal names are Ganga, Hoogly and Padma. The Hilish is akin to the salmon- it makes its yearly run from the sea, up the river (nearly a 1000kms) to breed. I am not an expert here but my bangla bondhu's say that the hilish from Padma taste the best!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 12:24 am 
Fishaholic

Lionheart,

The actual name of Koi is Tel Koi. Is called the climbing perch. Only found in eastern India. (info from the net). Pic:

Picture of Hilsa(Shad):

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 1:07 am 
Fishaholic

man your killing me with pics and yes the padda (or padmer) river's Elish is the world known for it's taste its hardly available now as (unfortunately for us bongs in India) i think 90% of it's now get exported for those NRI(bongs) who pay top dollars for it :evil: :evil: any tom one has to go to Andheri market to check any possibilities of Padda Hilish(or elish) sorry bobby could not help :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 1:56 am 
Fishaholic

Nice catch.
"The fish went into the pot. Did not mention it - did not want to offend any one. Better my pot than any one else's, as the water was going down and some one would have caught it in a month's time for sure."
Nobody is going to get on a high horse about anyone taking alien invaders for the pot.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 7:02 am 
Fishaholic

bhapa Elish and Koi macher jhol. Mouthwatering dishes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 10:29 am 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 11:07 am 
Fishaholic

Thanks, Ken.
Yes, the alien fish donot matter but I did wonder about the size it would have grown to if left alone.

Rajat Da- Steam the hilish wrapped in a banana leaf!! [smilie=yum.gif]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 12:14 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 1:16 am 
Enlightened

Come to Dhaka! We have the "real" padma"r Ilish.

Great catch, Sailendra!

All the best

Lakhyaman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 1:17 pm 
Fishaholic

Congrats, Sailendra this reminds me of my school days :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 3:43 pm 
Enlightened

Hi Sailander,

From last couple of years we have started seeing quiet a lot of Climbing Perch in Calicut (Kerala). Infact i have caught loads of them during the first week of mansoon. I have heard that the fish was introduced to the water bodies because of its voracious feeding habbits. They actually helps in reducing pests and leaches that causes discomfort to the farmers and crops. Either that or the fish could have come down through other water bodies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 8:13 am 
Fishaholic

Lakhyaman, thanks for the message. Dhaka is where the Padma'r Hilish are! My friends in Kolkata speak so much of this great city. Surely, I will make it! I seen your impressive lake too in your posts. Hope to make a visit there too, time permitting.

Sarabee- yes, handlining reminds every one of childhood days. I do it whenever I get the chance.

Rajat Da, my monsoon trip will be to Kolkata. All your recipe's have stirred me [smilie=shake.gif] . As such trip to Dokhineshwar has been on the radar for sometime!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 11:43 am 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 1:51 pm 
Fishaholic

Lakhyaman that's really tempting offer specially as sailendra says I have also seen all your post and would really like to experience how once feel to own a lake (man that's a dream) and fish in it. You never know you might get couple of surprise visitors. :D :D

Sailendra although I am not very sure how the monsoon fishing in Kolkata is but i am sure you must have enquired about it already, you seem to know quite a bit about bong land any way. I wish you a great rip mate don't forget to indulge in Hilish once you are there and off course the splendid KOi maach :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 2:36 pm 
Enlightened

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 10:30 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Sailendra - Give us Bongs a buzz when you in this part of town.. Will definitely catch up and treat u to some of the best fishing and the best fish-eating ...

Rajatda - stop salivating LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 11:30 pm 
Fishaholic

Rajat Da,

I worked with Dastur's for about 10 years. Most of my friends and collegues are Bangla. I love Kolkata its culture and its people and also share their passion for "maach" and sarson. Long list of likes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 11:48 pm 
Fishaholic

Gavin Da,
Thank you for the invite. Very gracious of you. I will surely give you Dadas a buzz. Will be a pleasure.

Prabin,
The experts will know better but from the little I know, the predatory species which have ben introduced in alien ecologies have created havoc disturbing the fine balance which existed earlier. Their new prey donot have the instinctive defence mechanisms and are some times wiped out- creating a domino effect on the food chain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 12:23 am 
Enlightened

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 9:15 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 9:42 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 11:57 pm 
Fishaholic