->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:11 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:31 am 
Fishaholic

A good long wait of 4 months and loss of job had taken its toll. The angling partners were feeling dejected like hell. Whist people were reeling kings and queens and cobia's. We have to be satisfied by landing a few silver grunters. As the season comes to a close. We decide to hit the Ajman waters, the earlier weekend we witnessed people landing big kingfish and one of our kayak pals landing king and pulling barracudas left and right and releasing them. All we could do was be good spectators and cheer him up. The walk on the break water rocks is yet another insanity, now to add to it it’s the summers that make your sweat run down your back hole.

FRIDAY , APRIL 16, 2010 0530 HRS.

A long drive from Dubai to Ajman. We reach the spot and being the long tiring walk and we find people already clogging the spot. There were a few banglas who were emptying the dory snappers from the ocean, insane people. There was yet another Ahmedinejad citizen with his irritating hindi screwing up my grey matter. I mean they pronounce it as "LAURA". Hope you guys get the rest of their hindi. Very soon a Filipino lands a BIG Queen. I mean it, it was big compared to the torso of the angler :) Me and keyur cast our lines with sardines as bait and let the rod holder do the rest of the job for us while I was targeting live bait, keyur was spinning with no results. The RODS were rock steady no movement at all. A few moments later, I see some ones rod calling and little did I realize that it was my rod. Jumped up a couple of rocks pulled the rod and reel and strike and the rod slipped the bottom grip, but the fish was hooked. Was giving a good fight and was not ready to surface for identity until up close the landing zone. Approx 15 minutes fight and the guesses were probably a KING FISH. Once up close it was like OMFG, it’s a catfish :), the gentleman helped me land this one, this fish reminded me of the redundancy and we were determined to release it :(. Below are a few snaps of the cat, please excuse me for the ugly photography as it was me holding the fish and taking pics from my mobile camera.

Species: Catfish (Arius Thalassinus)
Weighed: Approx to 1.2 kgs
Fate: Released :)
Bait: Sardine

Cast out the second time with sardine on the bait and few minutes had one more strike, the fish was perfectly hooked and was reeling it in and presumably from the behavior, it was a grouper of good size dragged my line and dived for cover, then started the game of patience, the line had a 50 lbs 8 feet leader, so I was not really worried about my main braid snapping. The fish never gave up. It tried a few attempts and I managed to reel in my line a few meters but the fish would just dive for cover after every attempt to run. It was more than half hour of patience. Tried every possible suggestions of giving a slack and everything. But the Grouper was determined. Finally as keyur suggested to yank and suspend the fish when it makes the next run, I tightened the drag to full and YANKED with full might snapping my 50 lbs leader :(, yet another grouper lost on the same spot :(

WOW, fixed another 2 hook rig and used sardine fillets and cast out as far as I could but the leader/braid knot limited the casting distance, guess what the bait landed on the water and I was reeling the line and there I felt something biting my bait and out of curiosity I yanked and hooked the small burger and was reeling in and far off I could see the fish as a zebra fish(jarbua terapon), Keyur was on the lower rocks and when he witnessed it was a a small cobia. I hear the word cobia and I reeled in and full speed :) hammering the fish left and right on the rocks. I was a pretty small cobia, less than a feet long. But than I have never caught one in my life and wanted this as a keeper. Photos of this one are with Keyur ("Keyur please upload the pics of my first BIG Cobia").

No sooner Keyur was reeling in something big, our excitement knew no bounds because we were reeling in fish after a long long time, we were waiting for a big big surprise as this was not giving a fight like the pelagic's but was pulling hard and the unexpected happened, the line snapped. The guess till now remains a mystery.

I had my line cast with same setup and after a good half hour my reel was singing again and it was loud and clear. I was sure this was another cobia, with the kind of pull it gave, it took a lot of line and was not ready to give up, when I tried to see where my line was I could see the direction of the line and some thing whitish thing doing acrobats, it was a STING RAY, this fish has might, I very well played the fish with cool head this time, probably close to half an hour, it wouldn't give up till the last minute, my spine was cursing me. I had a bad wrist that day as well to add to it. Finally, it was decided that we will take photos and weigh the fish and release it. While we were landing the fish the water went rough and make it difficult to get the fish in the landing net as the fish was big in diameter compared to the net. Some more water splashes and the ray was washed ashore among the rocks and in this bargain one of the hooks got tangled in the landing net and snapped the ray was free but got stuck in the rocks and could not move out of that place for a good one hour, our intentions of releasing it almost failed as the tide was moving out, we could see the fish stuck between the rocks. During this time there were no takes and lines were idle. We decided to wind up as it was getting hot. So I decided to gaff the fish and take it out as it was anyways going to die on those rocks, my efforts failed but Keyur was able to gaff it by the tail and surface the symmetric creature on the rocks. It weighed a good 9 KG. The fish was later released safely, however, it was gaffed by the tail. Hope it recovers the wound.

Species: Scaly Stingray (Dasyatis imbricatus)
Weighed: 9 kgs
Fate: Released
Bait: Sardine

What a day it was!

Catfish

Catfish (Whisker Pose)

Scaly Stingray

Scaly Stingray (Close up)

Last edited by teritex on Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:22 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey Dezz
Hearty Congrats Man [smilie=coolup.gif]
its great to know that after 4months your Rod is active again :wink: and your reels with multiple BALLbearings are screaming also :lol: never mind about the lost fish you'll get them some other time
and :shock: what a nice lenghty report your wrote, everybit in detail. Man are you some kind of writer :?: or you sat with a pitcher full of beer while writing this thread :lol:
psst next time you go baitfishing at the same place try the following things
1) pop a shilajit tablet {thats to strenghten your back and wrists }
after you hook the fish
2) 20 minutes foreplay :wink:
3) 30 minutes main play :twisted:
4) 10 minutes extra time :lol:
5) by now it must be really close to you, just gaff the bloooody fish and yank it out of water :twisted:
now when you have that fish just look at your nearest angler and sing the song [smilie=happydance.gif]
Quote:
tujha go paplet baarik hai ........

:twisted: :twisted:

Last edited by lionheart on Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:31 am 
Fishaholic

lionheart wrote:
what a nice lenghty report your wrote, everybit in detail. Man are you some kind of writer :?: or you sat with a pitcher full of beer while writing this thread :lol:

It is not the report that is long it was the frustration that lasted long for 4 months and this is the result of it :)

The beer was tasting more better that day :) Mexican Corona Ki Jai Ho Jai HO ... LMAO

Sayed, those rocks are terrible, you can go there to fish without any problem but to come back I'll tell you, you will say WTF why did we even come this far. Imagine if you don't catch anything in spite of all these efforts.

DeZZ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:13 am 
Fishaholic

teritex wrote:
Sayed, those rocks are terrible, you can go there to fish without any problem but to come back I'll tell you, you will say WTF why did we even come this far. Imagine if you don't catch anything in spite of all these efforts.

Even I know of a similar place in murud where if you get fish you'll S*** in your pants trying to land them Monsters I mean .
but the only drawback is that you have to abandon your bike and walk only three kilometers :lol: amongst the slippery rocks to reach the secret spot
I once took a trusted friend to fish there and we did'nt get any fish while comming back he pretended to be serious and said " I think you took revenge for some old grudge against me" :lol: :lol: even till now he sometimes asks jokingly " was it some kind of revenge?" :lol: :lol:
Now I'm planning to go there in dec with one mr lobo :twisted: :twisted: :lol:

Last edited by lionheart on Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:49 am 
Fishaholic

:)

Sir, please arrange for a boat, else I'll be happy to catch a sting ray from the shore in the afternoon hot sun but not the walk on the rocks :)
This is the place where I caught the fish.
http://wikimapia.org/#lat=25.4263674&lo ... 17&l=0&m=b
The right side break waters. Its more than 1/2 KM but its continuous wobbly rocks. When we call it a day I call my wife to place that beer in the freezer. :)

DeZZ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:52 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Dezz,

Congrats for the nice catch.

Keyur, post the pics of the cobia ASAP.

Cheers,
Apoo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:58 pm 
Fishaholic

nice catch there...
those are some good fishes.....
good to hear that your season ended with reel screaming and line snapping........
was expecting some action last weekend here in kuwait (its cobia season)
but nothing much......
its still a bit cooler and i will try next week and lets see if i can catch anything.........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:46 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks Apoo/Hoze.

Apoo: Keyur is busy this week for him the season is officially over and I have one Friday left :)
Hozefa:The fish has just started biting, its not over yet :) For cobia's try some obvious places breakwaters or where you have water flowing into the sea.

DeZZ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:37 pm 
Fishaholic

teritex wrote:
Thanks Apoo/Hoze.

Apoo: Keyur is busy this week for him the season is officially over and I have one Friday left :)
DeZZ

guys, need to get the pic of the camera first.......if it still works after its nasty fall inbetween the rocks. Thank god it was my wife's camera. Mine would be too precious. :twisted:

anyway, No fishing for me this weekend (on baby sitting duty). Hopefully the following weekend. Desmond will be reliving his bachelor days at this time. Hopefully he will be sober enough to come fishing :lol:

The fishing season is not over for me as I need it to end on a high. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:54 pm 
Fishaholic

Keyur wrote:
guys, need to get the pic of the camera first.......if it still works after its nasty fall inbetween the rocks. Thank god it was my wife's camera. Mine would be too precious. :twisted:

:lol: :lol: Now thats a perfect demo for inviting trouble :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:36 pm 
Fishaholic

Good report and good fishes.

Congratulations. :P

Regards,

Ali. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:50 pm 
Fishaholic

Where have you been Ali??

Its been a long time since you have reported anything or even a post from you. We at least I feel that we are left out by you :)

Hope you are doing good.

Allah Khalik aakhui

DeZZ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:53 pm 
Fishaholic

congrats amigo [smilie=coolup.gif]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:29 am 
Fishaholic

teritex wrote:
Where have you been Ali??
Its been a long time since you have reported anything or even a post from you. We at least I feel that we are left out by you :)
Hope you are doing good.
Allah Khalik aakhui
DeZZ

Satelite imagery showed :twisted: four anglers having a great time fishing in south konkan. I assume Alibhai was one of the four :wink:
we are all waiting for that post Alibhai :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:20 am 
Fishaholic

rajatmukherje wrote:
congrats amigo [smilie=coolup.gif]

Gracias jefe de cómo has estado?

By the way thats Spanish and I am not a Spaniard. It was done using Google Translate :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:48 pm 
Fishaholic

lionheart wrote:
Satelite imagery showed :twisted: four anglers having a great time fishing in south konkan. I assume Alibhai was one of the four :wink: we are all waiting for that post Alibhai :roll:

Make that 4 anglers and one dog and that was not south konkan :wink: .. Ali where are the pics man..? and also the video.. :twisted:

Nice Ray dezz.. congrats. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:18 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks Santosh.

Ali/Santosh: From what I recollect you guys have caught similar rays and I believe you guys must have had a taste of it. I being from konkan I have tried it myself (Aambot Tik) is what they call it in Konkani. But the meat of these rays over here it seems is tough to eat, though I have not tried it myself. Keyur has had the privilege of try the meat of the one he caught. He said the same thing.

Any clues?? Or is this a different species all together??

DeZZ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:46 pm 
Fishaholic

This Post has been locked for the moment as it is going out of hand.

Deleted 1 Post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:25 am 
Site Admin

Guys, I've gone through the posts and removed what was unnecessary. Normally this sort of behavior would result in an immediate ban. In this case I am giving both Teritex and Vishnu a firm warning. Vishnu for carrying over a grudge from a previous issue. Teritex for misusing PM's. If there are any further issues there will be an immediate ban.

IA

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]